It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Durham council tells police to accept Mexican ID

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Durham council tells police to accept Mexican ID

www.news-record.com

DURHAM (AP) — A North Carolina city's police and other civic departments will recognize identification cards issued by the Mexican consulate as a valid ID.

Multiple media organizations reported Tuesday that Durham's city council voted 5-2 to tell city employees to treat the Mexican ID cards the same as other official identification.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Boondock, I thought you'd like this one.

These things don't phase me much anymore. I think it's wrong. I think it's absurd. I think it deserves a place in the dictionary as a definition of insanity.

It just furthers the rift between nationalities and creates different standards for different groups of people. I cannot help feeling contempt anymore for those here illegally and getting equal/better treatment than those who bothered to take the time to become citizens legally. If feeling that way makes me a racist, then I don't care anymore. Let the names calling begin. I will not hold my tongue within society any longer.

www.news-record.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This would fit with the theories about the global elite's plans to tear down North America's borders separating Mexico,Canada and the U.S. as part of their goal for creating the North American Union.

The border between Mexico and the U.S. is all but gone now really as Mexico is slowly expanding its way up into southwestern states via the cartels. I think we might see a new form of ID emerge in a relatively short period of time which would allow people in North America to travel and live in any part.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with accepting an ID that the Consulate has issued? For what purpose are they accepting these IDs?

U.S. cities began accepting the ID card issued to Mexicans living abroad a decade ago. The policy has spread to nearly 400 U.S. cities and almost 1,200 police departments.

An ID just identifies the person. I don't understand the problem.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

If that happens, I'm going up into the middle of nowhere Canada. I seriously can't stand this crap. If they commit a crime, the worst that will happen to them is they get deported which doesn't mean a damned thing anymore. There is no excuse for illegals being here period. If they show Mexican ID, then they should have to show their passport at the same time just like in EU countries. That needs to be done anyway.

As far as the NAU goes, the moment they do that, people will not stand for it. It will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

"This doesn't mean people can drive with this, it's not a replacement for a driver's license, it's not something people can use to gain residency or citizenship," said Ronald Garcia, a community organizer for El Centro Hispano in Durham. "It's just a way for people to be sure that the city will recognize their identification."

This doesn't mean that police won't arrest people if they do something wrong, either.

"This is simply our affirmation of what our police department is already doing," said Durham City Councilman Mike Woodard, who isn't related to the NC Listen leader. "Holders of the matricula are not going to receive any other benefit or privilege."

www.news-record.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If you can't understand the problem, then tell me why we even have localized ID cards to begin with instead of global ones.

The problem is that the police here in the states don't ask for passports when presented with a foreign ID. But hey, there's nothing wrong with it right? Stand up for the illegals rights to be here one more time why don't you.

I have personally seen what the illegal aliens attitudes are, and what their purpose here is. If you think otherwise, then you are sadly mistaken. Those who want to contribute to the system instead of milk it, apply through legal channels. One day you will realize. When your town becomes swallowed into the ghetto, when you get fired to make room for cheap under the table labor, when Spanish becomes the language for commerce you'll understand. Ask anyone in Fla, SC, NC how bad things are because of it and you'll know.
edit on 16-11-2010 by PayMeh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Being here illegally IS a crime...... or should we just let that one slide?
edit on 16-11-2010 by PayMeh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
If you can't understand the problem, then tell me why we even have localized ID cards to begin with instead of global ones.

I don't know. I always use my license. What is the problem I'm not understanding?

Stand up for the illegals rights to be here one more time why don't you.

Illegal immigrants don't have rights to be here. They're breaking the law. But that doesn't mean that these consulate-issued IDs should be used for identification of the person.

I assure you when the problems they bring with them knowing that they can't be charged with a crime, only taken back across the border and released, then you will change your tune.

What makes you think they can't be charged with a crime?

When your town becomes swallowed into the ghetto, when you get fired to make room for cheap under the table labor, when Spanish becomes the language for commerce you'll understand. Ask anyone in Fla, SC, NC how bad things are because of it and you'll know.

How about New Mexico? Southern New Mexico. That's where I live. "Swallowed into the Ghetto"
That's funny! What's the matter? Not enough anti-Muslim threads on the board to keep your blood boiling? You thought it was time for another anti-illegal immigrant thread?

:shk:

Sometimes I wonder if people just google "Muslim" or "Mexican" in the news every day to get fodder for ATS threads.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Actually it showed up in the Yahoo quick list news when I opened up my browser.

I said Fla, SC, and NC because it's different here. Oranges, peaches, ect. You name it, we've got thousands of illegals here profiting from the system.

I don't hate any nationality or religion. I hate the fact that people break the law by being here and break the law by working without a SS#.

I respect that you're of more liberal mindset than I am. We should at least be able to agree on the fact that laws should be enforced. If they don't have a passport/visa then they should be deported/jailed. If we don't allow them to use foreign ID cards, which is stupid anyways, we force them to go through the legal channels. If they cannot provide a US ID, then the officers would be able to ask for papers, or detain them for not having any ID. Me and you can be detained if we're out and don't have IDs on us. Allowing them to show their foreign ID keeps them from having to acquire a state side ID - they'd have to forge one without having a SS# and it keeps them from having to prove citizenship when approached by authorities. 400 cities and 1200 PDs is a small number for the whole country.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Would it hurt to mention in the title that you mean Durham USA, not in the UK?

Is it too much to ask to remember that not everyone on this site is American? A large majority, but not everyone.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I would have liked to have even pointed out it was North Carolina USA, but that's not the title of the article. =/ Sorry friend.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
I respect that you're of more liberal mindset than I am.

That's probably true, but it might surprise you to discover that I take a pretty hard line on illegal immigration. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to that. I just don't see how accepting an ID has any effect on that situation.

I agree with you that laws should be enforced. We need immigration reform! But the ID issue is really not relevant to that.

If they don't have a passport/visa then they should be deported/jailed.

That would be ideal, but the system isn't set up to handle that. It's totally messed up.

If they cannot provide a US ID, then the officers would be able to ask for papers, or detain them for not having any ID.

Ooh! That sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Asking for our papers... Just what I want for my country.

Me and you can be detained if we're out and don't have IDs on us.

Can you source that law for me? Because I don't think that's true.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Showing papers/passport is something Europeans have done for.. well.. a very long time. We'd already be set up that way if our states were individual countries.

As for being detained for not having an ID, I can assure you that the officers have every right to detain you until your identity can be proven. Not having ID after you reach legal age is a state by state issue when it comes to being charged for not having one on your person. en.wikipedia.org...

The whole thing I have a problem with is that it makes it easy for illegals to produce some ID. They don't have to carry around their passport/visa because of this ruling, nor do they have to go through the trouble and expense of trying to obtain fake IDs. If their foreign IDs were not valid, they'd have to do one of the two or risk being detained and found out.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

PayMeh, I agree with you on illegal aliens: they clog our emergency rooms because they don't have health insurance and if one gets drunk and runs into you, there's no recourse for the Citizen because they have no drivers license and no insurance.

Here in Florida, they are scared to death of being pulled over because they have no license, so they drive 35 mph on a 55 mph road.

But there is one very very ugly side to this: they are almost slaves. I have heard of illegals being beat by their "Strawbosses" and forced to pick fruit with an untreated broken arm. They work for a helluva lot less than minimum wage.

That's why they are allowed in this country: cheap and damned near slave labor.

Corporations like Ben Hill Griffin, the "Orange Mafia", run this state and others. You might recognize a name of one of the owners of BHG: Katherine Harris, who was Florida Sec. of State during the 2000 elections.

Big Orange likes cheap and undocumented labor, paid in cash and no taxes or accountability.

I have no idea what the quals are for the Mexican consulate to issue these IDs, other than a certain amount of dead presidents exchanging hands - they are about nine months away from being middle America's own Somalia.

I doubt most illegals can afford to buy a consulate ID.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

That's a great reason to close our borders to all but legal foreign workers and legal immigrants, besides exercising the same level of sovereignty that Mexico itself so hypocritically does even as they criticize the US for considering the illegal issue; to protect human beings from being treated as slaves.

I say FIRST lock down the border - zero illegals coming in.

Second, make every illegal here a citizen, and make "Big Orange" treat them like you or me.

There is NO reason why we should allow this flood of illegals to continue, and no reason they should continue to be exploited.

And the Mexican "government" (what a joke) can kiss my @ss.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I agree, but they are still here by free will. Prosecute those who hire illegals. I'm not saying don't do that. The big problem is the other jobs they take. I've seen it everywhere. My biggest beef is in the construction sector. One legal boss with a business license and the crew made up of his illegal family whom he drives around everywhere. I've also done farm work for years. I've cut/hauled/hanged tobacco and hauled hay mostly as a favor, but I found it honest rewarding work. It was a few bucks extra on a few weekends, but if I needed a job, I would do it in a heartbeat for minimum wage. There's nothing quite as amusing and enjoyable as driving down Main St. past City Hall 5 deep on tractors.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The reason this is "wrong" is because any foreigner in the U.S.A. should have a Passport. Get that? "Pass" and "port". That means you legally passed through an entry way into this nation.

You have to have a PASSPORT in order to pass across national borders.

So the fact that some foreigners (of any nationality in any nation) only have "Drivers Licenses" STRONGLY suggests that they don't have their passport, which means they probably aren't here legally.

If I'm in a foreign nation, and I get questioned by the authorities, I sure as hell better have my Passport available, lest I want to travel back to my place of stay to show it to them.

This Driver's license business is just to make it that much more difficult to track down people here illegally.
edit on 16-11-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't get what the beef is. It is "official identification". Would you not accept a Mexican passport as "official identification?"

There are Mexicans legally living in the United States, just as there are Americans legally living in Mexico, why would you insist that someone who is legally here go up the DMV and procure a Driver's License to prove who they are when they already have papers that show who they are and which, ironically enough, they'd use up the DMV to prove who they are?

Strikes me as sensationalism, nothing more, and we sure need less of that these days.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I agree, but I believe we are well past that point for it to be viable. What's the figure now? 12 million? The fact that this has become an issue at all means that we are past the point where amnesty is an option. Some will have to go. 10 years ago it would have worked. I'm afraid there is no good solution. While we're arguing about amnesty though, we could and should go ahead and lock the borders down on all immigration from any country. It's the fair thing to do for everyone concerned. It's wrong to allow people to uproot themselves and become entangled in this mess of a country right now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join