It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces Televised Chandra News Conference - "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Let me tell you Essan is a very intelligent poster i wish my posts were as good as his/hers.

You should have had a tinkling that NASAs news was not what you would like.
I enjoyed the speculation it was fun i too wanted more that this but life goes on.

Perhaps you people

What's that all about
as for the rest i am lost

Thanks

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by I think Im normal

Yeah what a bummer

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

you do realize that a lightyear is a measurement of distance not time right?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
So, NASA made an announcement that they were going to make an announcement? Why didn't they just announce the announcement at the time they announced they were going to make an announcement?

Sorry, I just don't find the baby black hole that interesting. The huge bubbles and the proof of dark matter is much more exciting. Those revelations were not made with any fanfare, yet they were much more exciting discoveries in my my opinion.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Whether or not you are right (I think you are wrong: if extraterrestrial life were discovered why not just tell us? After all most people are already convinced it exists ... ) most of the work NASA, ESA etc do has nothing whatsoever to do with aliens. And that means they hold press conference to annouce their latest very major important discovery.

Just because you don't find it important is irrelevant.

Originally posted by mars1

Let me tell you Essan is a very intelligent poster i wish my posts were as good as his/hers.

His
Thanks
Not always as intelligent with my posts as I could be, but aways nice to be appreciated.

Originally posted by SunshineLaws
So, NASA made an announcement that they were going to make an announcement? Why didn't they just announce the announcement at the time they announced they were going to make an announcement?

The purpose of a press conferance is to allow members of the press (in this case mosty scientific magazines etc) to ask questions which they could not do with a straightforward press release.

The reason for announcing a press conferance beforehand is so that interested parties know about it and can attend at the time, without all that annoying tricky stuff with time machines.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

Actually its both...its the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1 year.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
That press conference today was a whole lot of :yawn: wrapped in a crispy shell of boring!

Yes, it is an important discovery... but not a world press conference kind of thing.

I vote that the next press conference be about that blurred moon picture that china is parading around. Maybe the actual unedited picture. Just sayin'.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28

you do realize that a lightyear is a measurement of distance not time right?

You do realize that a light year is the distance light travels over a period of time right?

without a time frame you would not have a light YEAR, you would just have the distance of 5,874,589,152,000 miles.

186,282 miles per earth second,
11,176,920 miles per Earth minute,
670,615,200 miles per Earth hour
16,094,764,800 per earth day

5,874,589,152,000 miles Distance Traveled) per Earth year. Thus giving meaning to one Light year.(Time Frame) As in the Distance light will have traveled over a period of Time.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Alright! It was the young black hole, as ya'll have figured already. Here's the Chandra site's official Youngest and Nearest Black Hole site: chandra.harvard.edu...

This is exciting! It's not anything to do with aliens, but I don't know why everybody is expecting something with aliens. Black holes are serious business.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetsuo
Alright! It was the young black hole, as ya'll have figured already. Here's the Chandra site's official Youngest and Nearest Black Hole site: chandra.harvard.edu...

This is exciting! It's not anything to do with aliens, but I don't know why everybody is expecting something with aliens. Black holes are serious business.

That's not the news mate, here is some text that from that page that states so:

Fast Facts for SN 1979C:
Credit X-ray: NASA/CXC/SAO/D.Patnaude et al, Optical: ESO/VLT, Infrared: NASA/JPL/Caltech
Scale Image is 5 by 4 arcmin, (72,000 x 58,000 light years)
Category Supernovas & Supernova Remnants , Black Holes
Coordinates (J2000) RA 12h 22m 54.9s | Dec +15° 49' 21''
Constellation Coma Berenices
Observation Date Feb 18, 2006 & Apr 20, 2008
Observation Time 15 hours 16 min
Obs. ID 6727, 9121
Color Code X-ray (Gold); Optical (Yellow-white, Blue), Infrared (Red)
Instrument ACIS
References Patnaude, D, et al. 2010, New Astronomy (in press); arXiv:0912.1571
Distance Estimate About 50 million light years
Release Date November 15, 2010

I do agree that it may be news about a blackhole or wormhole though.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

Just read this from: www.prnewswire.com...

WASHINGTON, Nov. 15, 2010 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory have found evidence of the youngest black hole known to exist in our cosmic neighborhood. The 30-year-old black hole provides a unique opportunity to watch this type of object develop from infancy.

The black hole could help scientists better understand how massive stars explode, which ones leave behind black holes or neutron stars, and the number of black holes in our galaxy and others.

Mod Note: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on Mon Nov 15 2010 by Jbird because: added ex tags

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I just noticed an article and think its awfully convenient timing with the announcement today.

news.yahoo.com...

Any chance this black hole may be more imminent than we thought?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Ah yes,.
November, November,. the month to remember
the month of disappointments.
No really cool space news
Obamas trip was uneventful
still no real UFO proof
the market didnt crash
Mt Merapi didnt explode
no war outbreak with Iran
Still no real UFO proof.
Cliff is wrong again
and Planet X is still just a myth....

and still no real UFO proof

edit on 15-11-2010 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hopefully UFO disclosure will be next time.

Its still interesting nevertheless,

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by akaykaykay
I just noticed an article and think its awfully convenient timing with the announcement today.

news.yahoo.com...

Any chance this black hole may be more imminent than we thought?

This [possible] black hole is in another galaxy and is 52 Million light years away.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
They found a bright source of x-rays. Thier only explanation is a black hole.
They find gamma ray bubbles defined by a shell of x-rays at our galaxies centre. Thier only explanation is a black hole.
A singularity has never been observed, an event horizon has never been observed. Cosmology is spinning it's wheels I'm afraid. Perhaps they should be looking more to Maxwell instead of Newton, they may find another mechanism for the energetic particles beyond mathematical fiction of dividing by zero. In fact we can produce X-rays and gamma rays on Earth too, and it doesn't require any unknowns.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

To make is easier to understand. Light-year is the distance the light can travel in one year. Light moves about 300,000km each second so, in one year it can travel about 10 trill km give or take a little less.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Heres to next November!!

Its probably another Gliese 518 g situation. "Oh hold on a minute? I must have made that up, sorry world. There doesn't seem to be anything there".

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Can a black hole, move and do the same damages as a tornado?
For some reason, I keep thinking about them spirals pictures.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The only reason I can think of for this press conference is that it was some sort of promotional event for chandra.

The reason being that this is not news at all, this paper has been available online for a year now, it's the same information.
arxiv.org...

The press conference offered nothing beyond the speculation already thrown about.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join