It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces Televised Chandra News Conference - "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+61 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Nov. 10, 2010
Trent Perrotto
Headquarters, Washington

MEDIA ADVISORY : M10-157 - NASA Announces Televised Chandra News Conference

WASHINGTON -- NASA will hold a news conference at 12:30 p.m. EST on Monday, Nov. 15, to discuss the Chandra X-ray Observatory's discovery of an exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood.

The news conference will originate from NASA Headquarters' television studio, 300 E St. SW in Washington and carried live on NASA TV.

Media representatives may attend the conference, join by phone or ask questions from participating NASA locations. To RSVP or obtain dial-in information, journalists must send their name, affiliation and telephone number to Trent Perrotto at: [email protected] by 10 a.m. EST on Nov. 15. Reporters wishing to attend the conference in-person must have a valid press credential for access. Non-U.S. media also must bring passports.

Scientists involved in the research will be available to answer questions. Panelists providing analysis of the research include:
- Jon Morse, director, Astrophysics Division, NASA Headquarters in Washington
- Kimberly Weaver, astrophysicist, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
- Alex Filippenko, astrophysicist, University of California, Berkeley

For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and further information, visit:
www.nasa.gov...

For more information about NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory, visit:
www.nasa.gov...
chandra.harvard.edu...

I emailed the author and asked about more info - I will post if I get a reply.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

Niburu

Sounds interesting. I hope they keep us posted.
I wonder if we'll ever hear the outcome of the conference.

Cheers
Brady

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
They are talking about the Gamma Ray Bubbles bulging out the center of our galaxy. intereseting to hear what they will say

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pthd840

In a different link it's talking about an identified galaxy cluster that is relatively [in terms of space travel] the closest thing to our Earth and could provide much needed information on quasars and the growth of galaxy clusters.

[edit]--

This one to be exact
www.nasa.gov...

Though I do think it would be nice to get answers from both

edit on 11-11-2010 by MystiqueAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pthd840

are objects the same as phenomena?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yeah, Object is a pretty definite word!!! can't wait to see what they have to say.....i want to speculate sooo bad.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by pthd840
They are talking about the Gamma Ray Bubbles bulging out the center of our galaxy. intereseting to hear what they will say

That was discovered by Fermilab, not Chandra. Different discovery afaik...

Originally posted by MystiqueAgent
reply to post by pthd840

In a different link it's talking about an identified galaxy cluster that is relatively [in terms of space travel] the closest thing to our Earth and could provide much needed information on quasars and the growth of galaxy clusters.

[edit]--

This one to be exact
www.nasa.gov...

Though I do think it would be nice to get answers from both

edit on 11-11-2010 by MystiqueAgent because: (no reason given)

I saw that, but it didn't seem to be that big a deal that they would make another post announcing a live TV conference... NASA lets you know what object it is talking about when it announces a press conference on live TV, unless it is something special. That's what I'm curious about

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Here's one definition:
a tangible and visible entity; an entity that can cast a shadow

Certainly I wouldn't think the gamma ray structures would classifiy as an 'object' under that definition. Are they even visible?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

Quite interested then if it may not pertain to either of those two things then and something else entirely. Setting up firefox now and can't wait for Monday now.

+23 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Pretty sure every time NASA announces a news conference everyone at ATS starts panicking or getting their hopes up and then after the conference it's no longer talked about because of how boring the "news" was.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
the phrase...in our cosmic neighborhood... definitely means within the Milky Way,
and my guess would be for a wandering Black Hole to be in one of the Galactic spiral arms
and not the one at Sagittarius A (galactic center)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

discovery of an exceptional object

Sounds good, but with NASA, even a ball of ice may sometimes qualify as an "exceptional" object.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by tetsuo

discovery of an exceptional object

Sounds good, but with NASA, even a ball of ice may sometimes qualify as an "exceptional" object.

A ball of ice visible to an X-ray telescope would qualify as exceptional.

I will go with the speculation that it's a black hole. The reason being that observing a black hole would be a truly big discovery that warrants a press conference, but everyone already "believes in" black holes despite the absence of real observations. They will get better coverage for an "exceptional object" than for a ho-hum black hole.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
the sun's binary companion?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I would imagine that if they found anything truly earth shattering, such as proof of alien life or an alien artifact somewhere in the solar system, then the president would be giving the press conference and not NASA.... if NASA is giving the press conference then although it may be interesting to most on these boards it will be disappointing.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I don't know if this is what they are talking about but China released these pictures a day before that announcement and mentioned NASA discovered the objects..

www.chnqiang.com...

www.chnqiang.com...

www.chnqiang.com...

www.chnqiang.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
HEY! just maybe this is the kick off of blue beam 37!
Seriously, though, if its infra red they are talking about id say maybe theyve finally confirmed our dwarf companion.
There were certainly earlier reports of such that sort of dribbled away......
There was also some gigantic object headed this way from an earlier thread.....?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I bet they are going to discuss this....
chandra.harvard.edu...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ksorelleesq

I am just curious if they would consider that in our "cosmic neighborhood"....
Seems quite a ways out of town for me but who knows.

My curiosity is peaked for sure!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kronnikx

What are these pictures from?? They aren't coming up for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join