It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces Televised Chandra News Conference - "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

is it so much to ask to have them show us a picture of a spaceship with an alien waving in the window

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That's nice. A 30 year old black hole 50 million light years away.

Glitch? Comet? Alien? Just thought i would put that out there. It was posted today.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwoods
Pretty young blackhole since object SN 1979C was supernova in 1979.

technically is was a supernova 50 million years ago....

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
While being able to observe and study the "possible" birth of a "probable" black hole, maybe or it could be solar wind?; is cool and all. I don't really understand why this warranted a press conference. Seems to me the discovery of those gamma ray bubbles at the galactic center would've been more press conference worthy than this.
Just out of curiosity, maybe someone else could answer for me as I'm not really certain, but aren't black holes just theoretical and not provable outside of equations or did I miss the discovery of that?

I agree, I do not see how this warrants a press conference at all...

You think you may have discovered a black hole that is only 293,931,268,659,200,000,000 miles away? (50 million LY.)
That is so close! We could be there in oh, 50,677,804.94 light years, if only we could go the speed of light, but wait we would actually need to travel 3,395,000ish times faster than the speed of light to make it there and back in a 30 year career... 15 years to get there, 15 to come back...

Your probably wondering, whats the point of my gibberish? Well let me tell you... We will never ever ever ever ever ever ever be in the vicinity of this affecting us, so how is it what they are talking about, warrant a press conference? a paragraph or two in a journal at best. I don't see how this discovery will affect any living thing on this planet, if you listened to one of the gentleman talking, he said it would take roughly 40 million years for the black holes mass to double and there is no current way for us to measure this. So you see, IT IS POINTLESS. just as my calculations are pointless.

Don't get me wrong, it is a cool discovery, but nothing news worthy.

It almost makes me wonder if this was a cover up story in place of what they were originally going to talk about, then they got their hands smacked and told NO, you cannot talk about this, but sir/ma'am we already have a scheduled press release, well figure out something else to talk about.

Who knows though. shrug

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
the thing for EVERYONE to take away from this is.......

the next time nasa schedules a press conferance don't hype it up.....

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by I think Im normal

The "newsworthy" aspect is not the distance (although I would argue that 50 million LY is very close, considering the size of the universe -- i.e., there are GRB's thought be associated with black holes that are billions of LY away. Something only 1 billion LY away is still 20 times farther away than this)...

...but I digress...
As I was saying, the DISTANCE isn't the noteworthy thing, it's the AGE (the age as seen from Earth). As viewed from our solar system (which is the only way he have of viewing something in deep space), this Supernova and possible black hole is only 30 years old -- an infant. Scientists are very eager to study a black hole that is potentially only about 30 years old (perhaps even younger).

A potential black hole this young has never been studied before. It's VERY exciting news to astronomy.

One of the missions of NASA is scientific discovery -- this was a big scientific discovery, hence the news conference. Perhaps you don't care about astronomy, but I for one like to know what discoveries are being made by NASA.
edit on 11/15/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gixxer

the next time nasa schedules a press conferance don't hype it up...

Right.
People shouldn't be disappointed in NASA, but rather disappointed that the ATS hype was blown out of proportion (160 flags).

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gixxer

Yes the usual mundane from nasa.
Interesting to scientists but really who cares.
I told the missus it would be something very mundane and boring,all hype.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Ifs buts and mabey's that's all they had there not sure what it is yet

Did they really need a news conference for this what a let down yet again

Thanks

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by I think Im normal

I do not see how this warrants a press conference at all...

NASA regularly have press conferences to announce major new discoveries of great interest to cosmologists but which have nothing at all to do with massive alien spacehips approaching the Earth.

No doubt the next one will provoke the same level of uninformed speculation on ATS as this and the last one and the one before that. And some will never ever learn.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty
They will talk about the bubbles imo. Wish I could add more but its doesnt take long on these forums to learn that most of the storys here get hyped up to be something they are not.

If its not about the bubbles il eat my underpants.

Something good did come out of this they did not talk about the bubbles.

Time to pay the piper we want live streaming video of you munching down god i hope there clean or mite get after taste enjoy.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mars1

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty
They will talk about the bubbles imo. Wish I could add more but its doesnt take long on these forums to learn that most of the storys here get hyped up to be something they are not.

If its not about the bubbles il eat my underpants.

Something good did come out of this they did not talk about the bubbles.

Time to pay the piper we want live streaming video of you munching down god i hope there clean or mite get after taste enjoy.

Thanks

He should have known from the start it had nothing to do with the bubbles -- it would have saved him a pair of underpants. NASA billed this press conference from the start as a Chandra X-Ray Space telescope discovery. Chandra had nothing to do with the galactic bubble discovery.

The galactic bubbles were discovered using data from the Fermi Gamma Ray Space Telescope.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

the phrase...in our cosmic neighborhood... definitely means within the Milky Way,
and my guess would be for a wandering Black Hole to be in one of the Galactic spiral arms
and not the one at Sagittarius A (galactic center)

Black Holes do not exist.
They are a mythical object created out of an incorrect solution to the Schwarzchild equations (they effectively divided by Zero) borne out of an attempt to prop up the tottering gravitational paradigm.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I know it was in my post above his on page 14 which i got from Iamcorrect's post on page 13 some just skim threads which is understandable but not when your pants are on the line

Thanks

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
Im just glad this news conference that i just clicked OFF was

exceptionally BORING!

(despite finding a new black hole).

That's cool because it probably meant someone who was interested [like one of my children who couldn't get the NASA site to load] could in the end access the coverage and see what was happening.....

We can't all be X factor fans! xx

edit on 15-11-2010 by yzzyUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Well I wasn't expecting Jah Jah Binks to come and talk to us.
I for one thought it was worth every bit of the hype.

What was spoken about was amazing! We don't all on ATS think an ET is waiting outside the door wondering how to get in.... ya kna?

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK

What was spoken about was amazing! We don't all on ATS think an ET is waiting outside the door wondering how to get in.... ya kna?

Sadly, many ATSers do NOT feel that science is interesting. They like their fantasy stories better.

That's why conspiracy theories are so interesting, and why so many people believe what they read on the internet conspiracy sites over what they can read in science journals and/or magazines. It's the falacious idea that the "cool stuff" MUST be more true than the "mundane stuff" -- simply because it matches their idea of "cool".

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by yzzyUK

Sadly, many ATSers do NOT feel that science is interesting. They like their fantasy stories better.

That's why conspiracy theories are so interesting, and why so many people believe what they read on the internet conspiracy sites over what they can read in science journals and/or magazines. It's the falacious idea that the "cool stuff" MUST be more true than the "mundane stuff" -- simply because it matches their idea of "cool".

I prefer my fantasies to be of the flesh..... giggidy....

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 19rn50

on the point of earth crust moving.....during the summer, took some pictures of parallel chemtrails at sunrise, obviously noted their position in the sky, went to look again within 3 minutes and the chemtrails were around 60 degrees west of where they were when they were made and curiously the rest of the cloud position (noted as there were some odd clouds in the east) appeared to be in the same place. It was one of those 'supernatural' days when one feels compelled to look at / do something at a certain time with some sort of meaningful result.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by I think Im normal

I do not see how this warrants a press conference at all...

NASA regularly have press conferences to announce major new discoveries of great interest to cosmologists but which have nothing at all to do with massive alien spacehips approaching the Earth.

No doubt the next one will provoke the same level of uninformed speculation on ATS as this and the last one and the one before that. And some will never ever learn.

Perhaps you people need to be a bit more insightful about what NASA, ESA, and the relative govrnments are all about. And that task is to prepare all humans to accept that we are not alone. Do you think it s all just Science stuff that have been telling us about water worms or Titan, earth-like planets being discovered day, etc.? Now, do I want to tie that into the TPTB easing their populations into accepting UFOs? No, not exactly. (No need to, but if you are halfway intelligent you can see the connection.) We are looking at a natural progression of the coupling of Science and human comprehension that automatically will and is happen because of an increasingly better understand of the Universe and our stance within it.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join