It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by Son of Will

Theoretically, can they stick together to create a stable form of matter, since like I said, all the components are there in the chamber?

And are they liberating anything unique there, that we know is NOT produced by cosmic rays hitting the earth?

Have we detected up, down, and strange - eminating from Cosmic Rays? I know we have yet to see a Higgs Boson (unless very recently). Or did you just pull a fast one there by saying that it's "theoretically possible" only, that we get "all the usual suspects" bombarding the earth daily?

And if such a thing were theoretically possible, would it not then immediately become the most stable element on earth and indeed, sink to the core, with other matter gloming onto it?

This is the fear, or the concern some of us are having.

That these are NEW, never before SEEN particles, particles never liberated since the early creation, if it was a Big Bang that is.

And from what I can tall, all the parts are there, for a type of anti-matter to form, all of them, so why would it not then have at least a theoretical possibility, a large one at that, of forming?

Please answer me those last questions if you could. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it, and so do the readers I'm sure.
edit on 10-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

It's hard to detect much of anything from the cosmic rays because it's impossible to put all of the testing apparatus around the location a cosmic ray is hitting. We do know that the particles of cosmic rays are impacting the particles of our atmosphere at substantially greater forces than the LHC is colliding particles at. If those particles colliding in our upper atmosphere are not destroying the world, the lesser collisions of the LHC certainly won't. All atoms are made up of the same subatomic particles. Any atoms hitting together at sufficient force (such as ultra high energy cosmic rays hitting the upper atmosphere or, to a lesser extent, the collisions in a particle collider) are going to cause the atoms to break apart into their constituent parts. Whether it's done by nature in the upper atmosphere or by scientists down here, the result is the same subatomic particles. All they are trying to do is 1: Identify all of those subatomic particles, and 2: See how they interact with each other to build atomic particles.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
And here was someone hopin that a Half-life scenerio would come to pass....personally I wouldn't want headcrabs to be running around my house or have an alien over-lord keep our planet in a totalitarian 1984 type state lol.

I support this science 100% and feel strongly that this research will give birth to new technologies.

edit on 9-11-2010 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

Last thing - and I don't care how I "look" expressing myself on this issue.

Jordan River,

Could you please explain what the pic you posted is supposed to mean and signify, and IS that the same guy, looks the same to me.

What's this about. I can see what you're suggesting, but if you see this, could you please clarify a little further, thanks.

Maybe I am paranoid I don't know, but I do know there's nothing wrong with asking questions.

I AM out of this thread now, forgive me for appearing obsessive, but I'm not the only one asking these questions.

The real life image is a snapshot of some crews working on the LHC. The inset is the main character from the video game Half Life.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

edit on 9-11-2010 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

Last thing - and I don't care how I "look" expressing myself on this issue.

Jordan River,

Could you please explain what the pic you posted is supposed to mean and signify, and IS that the same guy, looks the same to me.

What's this about. I can see what you're suggesting, but if you see this, could you please clarify a little further, thanks.

Maybe I am paranoid I don't know, but I do know there's nothing wrong with asking questions.

I AM out of this thread now, forgive me for appearing obsessive, but I'm not the only one asking these questions.

It is suppose to be funny. For those who have played half life such as myself

I have asked questions and threw ideas what may happen and still have no rebuttal.(PAGE 5) Obviously I am not a crazy LHC WILL DESTROY THE EARTH individual, but I have some concerns with dimensional rifts.
edit on 10-11-2010 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-11-2010 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BriggsBU
reply to post by Wolfenz

Half Life was actually based upon the events of Stephen King's original short story The Myst. The idea is that the Myst and monsters came out of the portal that was ripped open in Half Life.

Correct!! actually its both!

Games

Source
Montauk Project
www.worldlingo.com...

Games The popular computer game Half-Life features an extensive underground facility called Black Mesa, which suffers from a similar fate as the Montauk facility when interdimensional creatures attack through a portal.

But actually Valve the Makers of the Game Half Life says its Idea is from the Dulce Base but there is alot of similarity's with Montauk & Steven Kings Myst

Source
Dulce Base
en.wikipedia.org...

According to Valve, the game Half-Life was based on the Dulce Base lore.

The Out of this world a PC Game made in the Early 1990s is One of First Games I thought of a Open Portal Dimensional with a LHC Involved ! in which i have ! Awesome Game just a reverse of the Game Half Life in Platform Mode Check it out if you haven't I have posted The Intro With the LHC on this Thread
edit on 10-11-2010 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
One of the greatest games of all time. Team fortress was the shizzle.

Honestly I do see connections between time ripping and this machine. We have yet to experience the total full power of the LHC.... yet.. how many tevs are we using still? 3? or more?

Just wait until they turn this machine into a weapon, just like the A-bomb.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

reply to post by Son of Will

Theoretically, can they stick together to create a stable form of matter, since like I said, all the components are there in the chamber?

And are they liberating anything unique there, that we know is NOT produced by cosmic rays hitting the earth?

Have we detected up, down, and strange - eminating from Cosmic Rays? I know we have yet to see a Higgs Boson (unless very recently). Or did you just pull a fast one there by saying that it's "theoretically possible" only, that we get "all the usual suspects" bombarding the earth daily?

And if such a thing were theoretically possible, would it not then immediately become the most stable element on earth and indeed, sink to the core, with other matter gloming onto it?

This is the fear, or the concern some of us are having.

That these are NEW, never before SEEN particles, particles never liberated since the early creation, if it was a Big Bang that is.

And from what I can tall, all the parts are there, for a type of anti-matter to form, all of them, so why would it not then have at least a theoretical possibility, a large one at that, of forming?

Please answer me those last questions if you could. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it, and so do the readers I'm sure.
edit on 10-11-2010 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

We have not been able to study Cosmic Rays because they bombard the upper atmosphere and are totally random. Even large-scale experiments designed exclusively for studying Cosmic Rays would have a very difficult time because there is simply too much atmosphere to cover.

However we HAVE detected some with energies six orders of magnitude greater than will ever be achieved in the LHC. It doesn't matter what type of material you use since, by the nature of the LHC, all particles are rendered into their constituent subatomic particles. Regardless what material you use, the only relevant factor is the energy - i.e. the electron volts - of the impact.

The LHC is the best particle collider in the world not because it is using special material, or using never-before-used technology, it's the best because it is so large, that it can accelerate particles to collision energies never before reached in a controlled environment. Now this is important: the more energy put into a collision equals smaller and a more diverse display of subatomic particles being released. At 10^14 electron-volts, it's possible some weird effects will be seen.

As for anti-matter, if it were created, it would instantly annihilate itself with surrounding regular matter. It couldn't possibly accumulate unless they were specifically trying to create and store it. I forget how it's done exactly these days...

By my main point still stands I think - if Cosmic Rays with energies of six orders of magnitude larger than anything the LHC is capable of are bombarding our atmosphere on a daily basis, then I think the fact that we're still here - not to mention the rest of the universe which is, for a large part, much older - is testament to the safety of this device.

There's no functional difference that I'm aware of, between the LHC and Cosmic Rays, except that the latter are much more powerful. I hope that answers your questions.

And by the way, if you think you're asking dumb questions or are hijacking the thread or something, I'd say nonsense! They've been very intelligent and relevant questions, I just hope my answers are adequate. I've certainly enjoyed answering them and testing myself on this - I've made a substantial move into understanding politics in the last couple years and lost all six of my science magazine subscriptions when I moved, so I do feel a bit rusty.
edit on 11-11-2010 by Son of Will because: clarity

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anthony1138
reply to post by Xeven

funny you should say that, because for all we know, we could be a simulation, of how universes form, so to another race we could be tools of learning/.

Imagen our universe is a pool, all of us are in this pool, execpt there are beings standing outside the pool looking in, obvering.

i completely agree with this idea, as i'm sure we are far from being the only ones... funny, i have imagined this since a time i don't even remember, but "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" really pushed it for me. i know, not a great example, but the concept is there. it makes perfect sense that we are 'tadpoles in the pond' and the eagles hover over constantly . or maybe we are just some crap under the finger nail of some mega creature... idk, i'm open to all possible theories...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
The scientists aren't stupid. They know what they are doing.

I'm not sure if your speaking about these scientists at the LHC in particular, in which case, kudos to you for researching their academic backgrounds..

But, If your putting your faith in the term scientist, well, history has proven scientist don't always know what they are doing and unpredictable results occur all the time.

Edward Teller speculated that the atomic bomb 'might' ignite the atmosphere in some freak chain reaction. Who is Ede? Just a scientist who helped develop the atomic bomb.

If the LHC was really dangerous to the planet, they would not do it. They wouldn't even be allowed to do it.

mankind has been destroying the planet for centuries... Just look at the recent BP oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico... Everything is back to business as usual, except the environment there has been destroyed.

I'd wager my last dollar almost everyone (politicians excluded) in that state would disagree with your statement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the LHC. But this is a massively LARGE scale "experiment", and if they already knew the outcome of the experiment, it would defeat the purpose of having the experiment in the first place. Unless it was to substantiate known facts, which is was not.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join