It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENOUGH! Manners in the Aliens/UFO Forum and those who habitually deride, insult, and just LOVE being

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Anyone who cannot clarify what Springer is saying, either didnt read the original post or dont want to comply to the Terms and Conditions.

He wants users to be civil with each other.

Cheers
edit on 7-11-2010 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxMulder91

Suggestion taken. I will divert my complaints to the alert button and constructive criticism, as was mentioned by another poster, but even then the topics grow and grow anyway and get more people drawn into them, further spreading the nonsense. In time they too start their own topics.

Having said that about constructive criticism, there is a problem with some of the more surreal theories. They have gone through so much trouble to make these theories a reality for them that they dismiss any counter-arguments towards them, such as the OP mentioned as the "true believers" that say you are blind for not believing their word. The problem then is that they continue propagating their crap to the more naive or needy members who in turn further the agenda. It's a cycle. Anyway, I hope that what the OP proposed eliminates these things. Not to say that some of these surreal theories are not true however.

Just need proof that can be reproduced, like the evidence provided in physics.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well Said, Springer....

I personally thank you (as you are a skeptic) for setting the example and writing such a thing with tact and dignity. Normally, as of late, that sort of post would be followed with several condesending pictures and degrading wording towards the OP and all "believers" in general who may have had the audacity to agree with the OP. I love this site but, as of late, the manners I refer to have made me "take my business elsewhere" as it's borderline ridiculous. Hopefully this will help a bit....

The OP is proof that both can co-exist peacefully if we just choose not to go for the big self ego boost by trying to degrade the OP...

Thank you again!

edit on 7-11-2010 by Ouroborus2012 because: typo

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Ive seen the latest video posted and I totally agree with tolerance. My first impression of the video was "oh not this guy again", thinking about the palm tree ufo vid.

It really starts at the top! My experiences have been very objective and have found even the most open UFO establishment is hiding the real truth. We only have each other to prove the events. Our life experiences really are the sum total of our beliefs. If you have never seen a UFO or had any kind of experience beyond sheeple like daily routines, you probably aren't a believer. Change can only comes when the views change mentally.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm sick of the horrid UFO videos when they're just of lights. I'm sick of videos being debunked and members continue posting thinking they're real. I'm sick of Hoax videos not being shut down by mods and somehow making it front page making this site look looney.

How about this members: Post credible videos and not just some lights in the sky.

Maybe then there won't be as many "rude" comments on amateur videos of ...LIGHTS.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
Fine, I will behave. But isn't the motto of this forum "Deny Ignorance"?
Should we just stand by and let people be drawn to the person that sais he/she was visited by aliens/reptilians after smoking some hallucinagenic drug?

You see this is the nub of the problem. You use the term *smoking some hallucinogenic drug* and I'm sitting here thinking. I can't think of a single time i smoked a hallucinogen, ingested yes, smoked, nope. There are some the can be smoked, funnily enough most of them are perfectly legal. So ignorance is a wholly relative term.

Lets take this forum back to the mid 70s. The people complaining about stupid, ignorant etc etc would then be saying. Other dimensions? how can people fall for that poppy cock? Warp engines..utter rubbish. show me the evidence? where is it? Time travel...totally utterly impossible how stupid do you have to be to even believe it could be anything else?

You want to enlighten people about the Reptilians? Well could start by reading the likes of Vallee and Keel and pointing people to their works. Showing people simply how it's an age old story dressed up for the modern age with a bit of special FX jiggery pokery, is liable to put many younger people off because at that point... it simply ain't cool no more..

I''ll give you clue, telling people they are stupid, ignorant, suckers, when, often, to a large extent, giving credence to the truly outlandish conspiracy theories is a knee jerk reaction to realising, consciously or subconsciously, they have been duped and lied to by the society the live in, is not the wisest of moves.

You might sigh when you see the word Reptilians etc. I might sigh when i see the immortal phrase..."No-one saw UFOs before Kenneth Arnold", trotted out. There is an attitude that does exist in some debumking communities that goes like this. All paranormal claims are utter BS, ergo that makes me an expert on any given field even though i might not the first thing about that field, simply because Ti personally don;t believe it . Now that is ignorance.
edit on 7-11-2010 by FireMoon because: spelling

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Wow...really mods? Really?

Apparently, only one side need worry about being civil.
edit on 7-11-2010 by DoomsdayRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
What Springer said went completely over your head didn't it? In one word Rex, CIVILITY.

Though having clarified my argument, some people are still trying to twist it. And those same people seem to think the need to be civil works one way.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

If you dont like videos of just lights in the sky, ignore the thread.

If you dont think the video is credible, why post a rude comment? Posting a rude comment will only bump the thread making it more visable for others to view.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
The thread is not addressed to all skeptics..
The first two lines in his first post.

It is very much addressed to all skeptics; despite the first two lines, the thread title is not "some skeptics" but "the Skeptics" and is addressed to all skeptics on how to behave in regards to YouTube videos.

And even then, even though I believe Springer did not mean it to be so, it seems some people think this is about all skeptics and turned this thread into an opportunity to complain about the evils of skepticism. So much for no more skeptics vs. believers threads, right?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

If you dont like videos of just lights in the sky, ignore the thread.

If you dont think the video is credible, why post a rude comment? Posting a rude comment will only bump the thread making it more visable for others to view.

What criteria defines a rude comment? I'm very curious to hear what people think.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I'm sick of Hoax videos not being shut down by mods and somehow making it front page making this site look looney.

I just wanted to help clear this one thing up. Threads are not on the front page because they "somehow" make it there. Threads are on the front page because of the replies. Every reply puts it back to the top of the front page. If you don't want a thread to be on the front page then don't fuel the fire even more by posting in it.

It's real simple. We have so many people here who absolutely hate some of the UFO threads, yet they read them and they REPLY to them. I wonder why it keeps getting put at the top of the page??

edit on 7-11-2010 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Well, as far as I know referring to a user on the forum as a "cook" is far less civil than what I had proposed.

Regardless of someones beliefs, time travelers, aliens, etc. that doesn't give you the right to use derogatory terms against them.

So, mods, really?

edit to add:

Also, who are you to say what side I'm on? I'm also a skeptic there pal.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Revolution-2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

I agree with what you said, but in regards to your first paragraph, I am not saying that people that say they are visited by strange beings in the night are smoking some drug. I am saying that the people that claim that they were visited by some strange being, who ALSO claim to have been smoking/injecting/ingesting some hallucinagetic drug, should not be heeded to, AS they were high at the time. You are obviously going to see and feel weird things when you are high, depending on the drug.

I was reading a post where some guy claimed to have been attacked/visited by "reptilians" while smoking a dissociative drug, and claimed that the encounter was real. This is what I'm talking about. I'm not going to automatically assume you were a schizophrenic or high, or both, when you state something out of the ordinary. But there ARE more logical explanations.

edit: I used "Smoke" as a generalisation, I enjoy generalisations as I don't have to write an entire paragraph when I can use a generalisation to write a short sentence. My apologies for the misunderstanding.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I am almost 100% sure that this what not the way that Springer thought this was going to turn into. This turned into an "Uncivil" discussion, about "Civility".

Come on guys... Really?!

I think that is showing the monster that ATS has and is becoming. Most people came here in order to get away from the same "antics" that are being shown here today. I hope that this is being monitored closely, as this is "exactly" what many members have been trying to say for quite a while.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

I think you know what a rude comment consists of...not really sure why youre asking me. However, I shall oblige.

User 1 - Posts a video/picture of something they believe to be a UFO or Alien. They give their opinion on the subject.

User 2 - "REALLY REALLY, you actually think thats a UFO, its OBVIOUSLY a plane, I cant believe the crap people are posting on ATS, THIS SITE HAS REALLY GONE DOWNHILL!!!!!111!!11"

Cheers
edit on 7-11-2010 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Well, as far as I know referring to a user on the forum as a "cook" is far less civil than what I had proposed.

Regardless of someones beliefs, time travelers, aliens, etc. that doesn't give you the right to use derogatory terms against them.

I did not say anything about their beliefs. Again, you ignored what I said, focusing instead on a single word, purposefully taking it out of context.

It's quite obvious there is no point in trying to have a discussion; it seems the over-all attitude in this thread is not to discuss but purposefully twist others' arguments.

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Also, who are you to say what side I'm on? I'm also a skeptic there pal.

Sure, whatever.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

I'd love to see a thread about the subjects you bring up here. Some will not like it, as they claim it has nothing to do with UFOs,. However i think it is actually quite important.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I think you know what a rude comment consists of...not really sure why youre asking me. However, I shall oblige.

Of course I know what I believe to be a rude comment is; I am asking others what they believe to be a rude comment.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join