It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ENOUGH! Manners in the Aliens/UFO Forum and those who habitually deride, insult, and just LOVE being

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I was reading a post where some guy claimed to have been attacked/visited by "reptilians" while smoking a dissociative drug, and claimed that the encounter was real.

This happened to me back in 1994 at the Pink Floyd concert in Toronto. However, they weren't reptilians, they were pigs, and those damn things chased me all the way back to suburbia.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
I'm sick of Hoax videos not being shut down by mods and somehow making it front page making this site look looney.

I just wanted to help clear this one thing up. Threads are not on the front page because they "somehow" make it there. Threads are on the front page because of the replies. Every reply puts it back to the top of the front page. If you don't want a thread to be on the front page then don't fuel the fire even more by posting in it.

It's real simple. We have so many people here who absolutely hate some of the UFO threads, yet they read them and they REPLY to them. I wonder why it keeps getting put at the top of the page??

edit on 7-11-2010 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

Yes, I'm fully aware of how a thread makes it to the front page. I was stating how the hell so many people can comment on a thread that's obviously fake. Well actually, it's simple:

You have those who must post and state "Fake!" no matter what.
Then you have those who will get pi$$y at the debunkers and attempt to prove it's true.

It's a lose lose situation for undeserving threads.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Rudeness (also called impudence or effrontery) is a display of disrespectfulness by not complying with the social "laws" or etiquette of a group or culture. These laws have been established as the essential boundaries of normally accepted behavior. To be unable or unwilling to align one's behavior with these laws known to the general population of what is socially acceptable is to be rude.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Right, and stating FAKE is not the problem here if someone has a reason or explanation as to *why*. The real topic here is civility from what I've read of the OP. I think the real root of the problem is NOT the skeptics disagreeing, we have a LOT of well educated skeptics that practice civility here. In fact 99% of the time the threads are SOLVED because of these individuals.

Skeptics and being skeptical is NOT the issue. I really can't understand why that's so hard for so many to realize. It's the NON CIVIL posts, name calling, (OMG you guys are all idiots WOW) patronizing posts (A lot of us here are adults and don't need to be talked to like they're 6 years old) etc that is the problem. Usually when someone lashes out like that, it's human nature for the accused to retaliate. That's not to say it should be accepted on that end either. Hopefully both sides will be moderated in this sense.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Totally get the point of the mentions here. Thank you for trying to keep this place civil. I enjoy coming here. The other night I had someone ask me why I decided to sign up after so long. I dont usually provide explanations but here is one.

The internet persona provides too much of a safe haven for needless aggression toward the ignorant, unknowing and generally good hearted people with good intentions. Because of that, I do find that before I join any community or attempt to be part of them, that I will observe the general behavior of the current user base. I at times have seen the negativity here that several of you are displeased with but have accepted that like anywhere else that I go, this sort of behavior is basically unavoidable. Why should I let that discourage me from joining up, enjoying and even discussing the content?

I come here for several different reasons, the main being, that be the content fake or fact- I find the content interesting. I do not have any strange or unexplained stories to present of my own, although I wish I did. I am not a professional in any sense of the word of any scientific field, let alone know what is true most of the time and what is not with the lot of the mess floating about. However, I do generally find the negative attitudes towards much of the presented content disturbing. Why didn't I sign up a year ago? Because If I sign up I then have the means to post and reply. Thus, my fingers do not sit still, especially when it comes to people acting like they were raised in a barn. Had I signed up a year ago? Then this post I know would have then directly applied to me. That is not what I am here for.

That said, I enjoy the content here and I admit, I enjoy positive atmospheres. I enjoy constructive discussion and I do enjoy when communities know how to carry themselves. What has bothered me for that year is that; I couldnt figure out where you guys stood as a whole. Now that I am beginning to know, and I am now a bit more convinced that signing up was the right choice. I look forward to more fact finding and debunking here, as well as more positivity and constructive criticism. I hope folks learn a little more patience and show a little of that patience with other members and newcomers here as the behavior and interest of the community, is often the lifeline of that community, so to change up what Mr.Springer there said, be a part of the community not apart from it.

Thanks for having me and keep the interesting content coming!

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This is not hard to understand people. If you post, be polite and courteous to other members. Provide proof for your definitive comments about the OP. If its hoax or offtopic, alert mods. If it bothers you that much, IGNORE IT. How is this hard to understand?

I'll do my best from now on to go about comments, skepticism, debunking in a polite, insightful manner. Hopefully some of our older members take this advice as well and help educate the noobs! We all started off very green in this UFO subject at some point. Johnny Anonymous post is how we should all look at the A/U forum!!

MODS- Do we still have an ignore option for some users? After reading through this thread I am really wanting to use it....

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
The thread is not addressed to all skeptics..
The first two lines in his first post.

It is very much addressed to all skeptics; despite the first two lines, the thread title is not "some skeptics" but "the Skeptics" and is addressed to all skeptics on how to behave in regards to YouTube videos.

I think I understand the point of contention. It is more geared towards a skeptical point of view than a believing point of view, because naturally, a person who believes the post they are replying to is in no danger of being rude. In a sense, everybody is a skeptic at one point or another, any time they disagree with someone else. Even a thread-starter is a skeptic-- towards the thoughts of a debunker. At that point, their response to a debunker should also be civil.

I think the whole idea is, whenever you are skeptical of a post, communicate your skepticism respectfully, whether you are a debunker or a believer. Is this fair to say?

I

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hi Springer,

Very well said.

I consider myself a healthy skeptic but also have had experiences of my own before youtube existed.

I would not say all UFO video can be proven faked etc.

Yes many are and those that do this .

Are doing ufology a disservice .

What I would like to see with someones ufo video is a link to the source and a brief story of the date day time and what exactly happened during the sighting/s.

I have been into the media part of ufology for many years .

One mistake Debunkers and Hardcore Skeptics make is the automatic assuption that most ufo video's are fake .

If these folks have proof documentation on this then provide that information here for all of us to see .

Other then that its all opinions nothing more.

Thanks for this reminder and great post on potocol.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by new_here

Exactly. I think you get it.
This whole thing has been blown out of proportion. If you can't get what "New_here" just posted (even new people get it!
) then in all honesty, I think it's quite possible that you're looking for an excuse for your bad behavior.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Fair enough. People are going to have different opinions on what a rude comment is.

However, there are many ways of telling another user that you dont agree with what they are saying and there being no mix up of whether someone was being rude to another user.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
i am a believer who is aware there are many many hoaxes out there or things that are not what people claim them to be even though they believe it is real. all i am ever bothered about is trying to figure out what can be proved, what we know, what we do not know as this is where more research can be done if possible.

my goal is not to prove or argue with skeptics that U.F.O.'s and aliens are real, but to find out facts. i am not aware of all the hoaxes or even all the information out there. i do not understand why it has to be a war of beliefs.
if we all work together to bring whatever information we can that can prove/eliminate something, then things will become clearer to the believer/skeptic on that subject.

sometimes i read through a thread and it is just full of opinions and turns into a war, the strongest opinions seem to win that war and the thread ends up debunked or people believe based on opinions. there is nothing wrong with opinions but i think most people are just looking for facts, what can be proved, o.k. nothing can be proved i'll move on, interesting that information proves...... etc etc.

thank you to ATS for bringing up these problems, it can only set the path to making things better so those who want to debunk with proof and those who want to offer evidence in favor can do so without being attacked or being accused of being gullible for even entertaining what can be proved or pointing out what we do not know on a subject that others think is crazy.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
When it comes to behaving in a civil manner, I am on board with keeping things rational.

As it pertains to preventing people from using logic and science, I completely disagree with that school of thought. If anyone finds my assessments too realistic and raw, I cannot apologize for how I analyze or assimilate data. Since I am an intellectual, philosopher, and scholar offline, I cannot help but be myself at all times.

Sometimes I do get blunt. Since my bluntness might be an issue, I will do everything in my power to show some empathy towards others.

I just want to be myself.

Added:: I don't believe in alien visitations of Earth, but I do believe aliens are out there somewhere.
edit on 7-11-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This topic has covered the following....

The way we respond to each person, regardless of their 'side' or their perceptions.

Being nasty , rude , arrogant , finger pointing or condescending to ANY ANY
Person here from this point (And in any forum) should be first reminded in a pleasant manner about their said actions and how it's basically not nice to everyone here. (this serves as a role for others to look up to and follow with a smile). If this is not adhered to or the reply is more disrespectful then the moderators should be made aware of this and hopefully the right action(s) shall be taken.

I'm not here to criticise or poke fun....(I keep reminding myself that everybody else who posts are NOT my age and NOT from the same country.

I know it's hard that we cant see who we are to each other but lets try and remember we are a community here

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I completely agree OP, Although I believe in other life and possible visitations, I have no rights to call people crazy that do not. WE each have our opinions, but IMO, being able to discuss these opinions in a civilized manner and working together to find why some think the objects being seen in said videos could be real, and why some could be false would be the fastest and most respective way to solve these things. I think it would also be helpful if the OP could stay up to date with his/her post, and create a type of pro[reasons for someone thinking this is real]/con[reasons why some think it could be fake] This would make it easier for those viewing the thread to distinguish what others think about this and why, without all the controversy over the same post 20 times usually with similar replies. But, I do realize this could also be a lot more work then deemed necessary, so this is just an idea for some who have time and like to keep a clean post. Thanks for the thread.

edit on 11/7/2010 by kyrebelyell2004 because: Didn't complete a sentence

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

A thread like IgnoreTheFacts describes deserves being deleted and the poster of that thread being brought up on civility T&C warnings.

Of course you could give them the right to post it and then attack all those who wish to seek denying ignorance - which means taking the troll bait every time regardless of how obvious it is lest that ignorance go on undenied(sp?).

-m0r

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well said..

So well said I added a signature to my profile for the first time ever.

Hope you don't mind..

b

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

But I've seen threads run on and on in the same sections they were started in....AFTER they were debunked or enough data was given to counter the videos/OPs claims. Sometimes the videos are debunked within a few pages as being hoaxes, and yet the threads go on for days and make it to the top. I don't feel a HOAX deserves to be in the 'most viewed' sections, but the algorithms here automatically do that based on view count, so I guess it's hard to stop.

There was even one poster here who posted about a "UFO OVER NEW YORK" and got called on it being a reflection.

I posted info in that thread showing that in his profile he was advocating starting a HOAX thread. That thread went on for dozens of pages more, even after I FLAGGED it a a hoax.

I don't know if he has been banned or warned, but it's an example of what goes on.

edit on 8-11-2010 by Prove_It_NOW because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
Doomsday Rex seems like a good start on filtering out the narcissistic one-sided skeptics, what do you think people?

I think he'd be a fine addition to the rule.

Unacceptable behaviour in my opinion - especially in a topic which is dealing with the obviously touchy concept that sceptics and believers being more civil to each other. Quoted instead of reported as it shows the type of mentality some of us deal with here.

From the T&Cs

16) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, libelous, defamatory, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

I'd say this is harassment against DoomsdayRex in a public setting. The potential for intolerance is also apparent but could be talked away by someone with the right smarts. Also calls for others to share their thoughts upon the concept (Which I am happy to comply with via this post Revolution-2012).

I ask that the thread title to be changed to include everyone instead of the polarised choice of focusing on supposed sceptics.

-m0r

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Though this is 6 pages long, and probably going into the 7th, this has no longer become about the OP but about the clarity, and authenticity of threads, members, posters, and long time members. I am fully aware that we have hit a crossroad here on ATS, and that was a given at some point and time, in order to weed out the genuine, as opposed to the non.

If it takes someone post after post in order to make a point that is not only irrelevant, but opposing to the thread that was started, this is going to be a problem that will NOT stop. This has turned into rebellious children, questioning authority.

Ive been to other sites, and have seen that people have a hard time, because their are no rules. When members began to question the motives of newer members and the possible agendas, or trying to show seniority, this IMO has turned the tables in the situation of "just be courteous".

Now that you (ATS) has given the rope, no everyone wants to be cowboys. Take the time, weed out, and please buy all means learn from this.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Recently we had someone post some photos from his "lost uncle," the astronaut on a secret NASA mission. Basic searches of his username showed he was actually an CGI artist and bragged about his ability to use software to make realistic alien planets. He presented a fake letter from NASA saying, "We're sorry your uncle died in a secret experiment. Have a good one." He was purposely manipulating and abusing this forum by perpetrating a hoax. By responding quickly and strongly to this hoaxer, we as a forum demonstrated our intelligence and our diligence. By doing so, perhaps we discouraged some future potential hoaxer.

If someone presents an obvious hoax, whether they created it or not, I think people should respond to it. Ignoring it not only encourages it but it also leaves those who couldn't spot the hoax hopefully pulled along by it. Both sides of the story should be presented. If someone has a genuine video, they they aren't going to be discouraged by a few naysayers.

Just my two cents

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join