It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadDogtheHunter
I posted the absolute truth about bootlegging illegal content. Have a good day.

Did you? Or did you just avoid a "bootlegging" charge yourself?

Question: DO YOU HAVE THE RIGHTS TO YOUR AVATAR?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I find it almost hilarious that when the truth is posted, people take offense and go on the attack. For the final time, I repeat....
Go to the website for the Library of Congress, look up the Copyright Laws...Read, re-read, learn.....and accept it.

link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Your right I did also take my avatar from the net, I'm not the one that is saying it's stealing though.

From your earlier stance I assume that you now think it's OK for Hamlyn publishing to sue you for 1.5 million dollars for lost sales of their book.

link   
It's illegal because the companies were sleeping at the wheel. What 'pirates' offer is the last and final and best evolution of the format. Tapes, CD's, DVD's etc. are history. Raw data without any physical restrictions is the end of the evolution. If the companies would've realized that we wouldn't be in this situation. They try with itunes etc. to get back into the wagon but they are years too late.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

I posted the absolute truth about bootlegging illegal content. Have a good day.

Did you? Or did you just avoid a "bootlegging" charge yourself?

Question: DO YOU HAVE THE RIGHTS TO YOUR AVATAR?

Perhaps you should answer your own question before calling it out on anyone else. Have a good night, Fry-Stealer....I'm off to more important threads. I have wasted enough time in this one.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Exactly, do you people have any idea how much Cocaine costs these days? The musicians snort up at least an oz each night with their hang-ons.

I for one think they should have fined them twice as much. I mean what's next, free access to books? Before you know what is happening we will have people thinking.........! I was going to put something after thinking but thinking is bad enough.

We need more time, we wanted more control of the internet because we missed that one and should have collapsed it sooner. the reason we set up file sharing etc was so that we could claim the internet is being misused and shut it down, that is why we created all the fundamentalist websites and then made it illegal to download anything form them. Then we created Trojans and viruses along with botnets and other computer problems. Why do you think we have engineered so many holes in ALL of microsh1t I mean Microsoft products.

Some one take me away from the keyboard I am spilling all the beans HEEEEELP

Yet another power play!!! All orchestrated and the people buy it, OH NO they are taking my free music lol just another excuse to limit your freedom and your Internet which they are worried about....right?

mmmmm, unless of course.......The Internet it is a VERY useful propaganda tool and perfect for dis-information!!!!!!!

People need to stop looking at what is in front of their face and look 3 levels maybe even 33 levels below!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
well can i get compensation for the original recipes i leave to a restaurant when i quit?

lol, i have mentioned "intellectual property rights" to prospective employers for that.

they seem to laugh it off.

what's the difference? you people might be eating/stealing from me!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Call me a thief all you want. I have NEVER downloaded illegally. Take that to the bank bud.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Yumm food tastes so much better when it's flavoured with a bit of copyright infringement!

I guess you can actually copyright recipes after all KFC / Coka Cola etc seem to manage it. Like most things though it's probably not going to be a path that an average person will be able to afford to take

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Dont know where I seen this, but seen it the other day
But made me think for a Hot sec.
edit on 4-11-2010 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Every time a person shares a song file with another, the Artist who created/sold that original copy, loses an album sale. Multiply this over and over as more and more copies get shared across the net, and that Artist DOES suffer major losses due to the fact that none of those people actually BOUGHT that album. An Artist has a right to earn money from what they create. Whether any of you like that concept or not.

If you download a song/movie without paying a penny for it, you STOLE it. Plain and simple. You're guilty, as is the original person who ripped it in the first place with intent to share it.

This is categorically untrue. A person who downloads music is not depriving anyone of a sale and in many cases may increase sales. This is totally propaganda at its lowest form.

It isn't possible to convince people of the logic of advertising, or exposing the material to audiences that might not otherwise be able to hear or see the media. they are stuck in their perception of reality and will not learn.

The first thing I would do if I were the person in the above, would be to appeal the judgment. Petition that the ACTUAL losses be proven, putting the responsibility on the plaintiff to show REAL LOSSES. In addition, I suspect a creative lawyer could also send that same record label an invoice for advertising and promoting that band (s).

How is it that Avatar, grossed almost 3 BILLION dollars, making it the single highest grossing movie of all time, when it is also one of the most pirated movies of all time?

Fortunately, I am Canadian. At present I can download all of the music i want with impunity as I pay a recordable media storage tax to offset industry losses. I can only imagine that destroying peoples lives for what is obviously a non issue is the new American dream.

..Ex

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
You know what is so sad about all this? WE the taxpayers, will probably be paying her fine anyway, even those of you who did not participate in this infringement!!!! If the woman is on unemployment or welfare, our tax money will be paying her fine!!!! So laugh it up...all those supporting this disgusting abusive fine for a few songs!!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
well can i get compensation for the original recipes i leave to a restaurant when i quit?

lol, i have mentioned "intellectual property rights" to prospective employers for that.

they seem to laugh it off.

what's the difference? you people might be eating/stealing from me!!

Exactly...what's next....a smell? A thought? Oh no...you can't think that....someone already has.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
This and also this.
edit on 4/11/2010 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I would like to know if radio stations are commiting "copywrite infringement" when they play songs? Or is there some kind of back door establishment "ok" on this "piracy"?
edit on 5-11-2010 by Nutter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

That pretty scary about those copyright laws.....How many people including are copy/pasting news, videos, snippets, etc, without permission?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
I would like to kno if radio stations are commiting "copywriteinfringement" when they play songs? Or is there some kind of back door estblishment "ok" on this "piracy"?

oh man!

that's a whole other can of worms!

they pay, bars pay, restaraunts pay for canned muzak, i had to pay just for owning a liq lic, playing my own music!

ascap, bmi, etc. sucks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join