It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1.5 Million Fine for Downloading 24 Songs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

Usually taking a small bit of an article is covered under the law of "fair use" which means it's ok. The same goes for a very short excerpt of a song / movie, i'm not sure exactly how short they have to be though

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Exactly. There are only 8 notes. How many songs are just the G C an A chords?..........I'll tell you.....about 95% of em.

So, when we get down to it, should be everything now since it has already been played?

BTW, Metalica should be the first to go as they only use bar chords in ALL their songs......meaning it's been done before. Charads.

I used to like Metalica until this crap. FRACK YOU metalica...I will never buy, listen, nor condone any of your songs ever again you filthy rich greedy bastards!!!!! And you can take that to the bank because acording to you, you just lost 8 million dollars because I will not listen to your 45 songs anymore. Discusting.:flame
edit on 5-11-2010 by Nutter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

there are real instances where i am for crackdowns.

i take a pic and some big company uses it to make money.

anything you take to make money, should be a punishable offence. without compensation to the owner or credit given. depends on the agreement.

simply put btw.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

Originally posted by Nutter
I would like to kno if radio stations are commiting "copywriteinfringement" when they play songs? Or is there some kind of back door estblishment "ok" on this "piracy"?

oh man!

that's a whole other can of worms!

they pay, bars pay, restaraunts pay for canned muzak, i had to pay just for owning a liq lic, playing my own music!

ascap, bmi, etc. sucks.

I understand, but with technoogy anyone can copy what they put on the air. Same as with a bit torrent.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

What "Mr copyright infringement" is missing, is that one can accidentally through no fault of their own download and possess copy-written material without their consent.
I had posted an example in an earlier thread, but I will recap for his education. My avatar is my own creation. I own the copyright of my own creation as per the rules set out by many prior precedents. By visiting this thread, his computer has, without my consent made a copy of my copy written property. This presents a circumstance where he could be liable for potential losses incurred by me simply by visiting this thread.

How could anyone except a copy right lawyer see that as fair in any possible light? Herein lies the true problem with copyright. Copy right is there to ensure that no person can take another persons work and MAKE MONEY ON IT. It was not intended to stop a person from drawing a copy of the Mona Lisa, or stop them from taking a picture, or copy for their own enjoyment, but to stop them from SELLING it as their own.

Now, every one who thinks downloading is a crime should send their chq for their unauthorized use of my avatar to my lawyers office. one million per violation should cover it

..Ex

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Man after reading that cracked dot com article you linked...I am not all that surprised. But I had to really laugh at the Metallica part, you know the one that mentions that Napster Fiasco, yeah, well they used to be one of my favorite bands of all time, and on principle I dropped them like a Hot Potato after the Napster incident, and now... I am so glad I stuck to my guns, those hypocrites! I also could swear that that song "Crazy B****" sounded like a song that was done by my spouse's band years ago with different lyrics of course, I used to think I was just paranoid or maybe crazy, but I now want to listen to their old recordings and that song to see if maybe I can figure out which song it was, hmmmm maybe My spouse and his mates have some grounds for a lawsuit!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

Exactly and I foresee this thread as closing soon as those who claim copywrite infringment realise they are guillty themselves according to the laws on the books.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
OK, this may be little off topic but lets fast forward a few hundred years. What is all this copyright and piracy crap going to mean when some one gets around to inventing a real Replicator like on Star Trek? Now you are not talking about songs and such but whole goods and even complete machines just by asking for it. Now that is going to be very interesting to say the least.

Replicator [Star Trek]

link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Man after reading that cracked dot com article you linked...I am not all that surprised. But I had to really laugh at the Metallica part, you know the one that mentions that Napster Fiasco, yeah, well they used to be one of my favorite bands of all time, and on principle I dropped them like a Hot Potato after the Napster incident, and now... I am so glad I stuck to my guns, those hypocrites! I also could swear that that song "Crazy B****" sounded like a song that was done by my spouse's band years ago with different lyrics of course, I used to think I was just paranoid or maybe crazy, but I now want to listen to their old recordings and that song to see if maybe I can figure out which song it was, hmmmm maybe My spouse and his mates have some grounds for a lawsuit!!!

Go for it. If Metalica can sue everyone else then why can't you sue them? After all, there ARE only 8 notes to be had.

link   
reply to post by v3_exceed

i thought you were armaps brother,

or evil twin?

j/k!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Go for it. If Metalica can sue everyone else then why can't you sue them? After all, there ARE only 8 notes to be had.

"Crazy B****" Isn't by MEtallica, it's by Buck Cherry...lol. I guess I should have made a seperate paragraph...soory. LOL.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

check this out.

www.youtube.com...

the eagles/tull

hypocrites.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I created my image in an image program…….is it mine? I guess the image program, was the means to make the image from my idea, but then I guess they could claim they own part of my sales if I was to sale it….why? well they provide me tools to create it, with out them the image would’ve never been created. Same thing with a mic recorder to a paint brush, to the paint maker, Shoot Microsoft provided me with Microsoft word, but since I used it to write a beautiful poem, I have to cut them in on my sales.

******personal story*******
I didn’t an edited photo for a website contest but, my photo was removed because it was a picture of cars driving down the high way since I didn’t “take” the picture, I didn’t own it and wasn’t allowed to use it.
The first thought that ran through my mind was…did that photographer ask all those drivers if he/she could take a picture of them and his/her car? No he didn’t…so he don’t even own the rights to his own photo

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by Nutter

check this out.

www.youtube.com...

the eagles/tull

hypocrites.

Exactly. Anyone who has ever "covered" another's song is guilty.

"Here I am" by Metalica....err I mean Bob Seager is a great example. I doubt Metalica paid even 1.5 million to Bob yet they claim they are owed that money.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Personally, I have several things that are copyrighted. I have no problem with people sharing it. The time I will SUE is if someone takes MY copyrighted material, sells it and keeps the bucks for it without even checking with me first.
Mad dog, is this the kind of copyright laws you are talking about?
Just as another member was not answered in regards to your avatar, the point of the matter is, if people are sharing and not making money in their pocket of the writer, artist, etc, then is seems to be fine....
So many of us had to xerox copy pages out of library books, recipe books, magazines...we are not theives and we are not stealing. It is what you call sharing. If it is out there already and people are sharing it, it is obviously ok. Some artists, are not willing to share, and the only way you can see their work is if you g to THEIR site, buy the original piece or litho, then you have your art. My artist friend has a website. People share, email pics of his work (again not stealing). When the law comes down it is when someone tries to sell those pics of his works and make money from HIS hard efforts.
I know what I have done was not wrong.
Want to know about a scam? I entered many poems to a website some years back. they used my poetry along with works of many other poets. they sold those books AND CD collections without ANY of US getting a single penney....Oh yeah, if we wanted a copy of the books or CDs that had our work in them, we PAID for those at a slight discount. They made alot of money off us.
So you may want to "read and re-read" what you say for every one else to look at. I believe infringement laws apply to different things, not one big one size fits all law.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Here is another ripoff for ya all. First listen to this:

Now hear this :

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
there is also this:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976,
allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism,
comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.
Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might
otherwise be infringing.
Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance
in favor of fair use."

this is for us little guys who are not making money from others.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Ha I was on a site that did the same thang, funny thing is an ex-girlfriend actually took a poem I wrote to her. But at a later date she re-moved all the “SHE/HER” words and replaced them with “HE/HIM/HIS” words and clamied it as her written poem. I know cus I met up with her many years later, and seen the poem on her wall in a case with a copyright on the bottom of the poem with her name! And its on the website to this day under her name.

I wrote it for her, and about her….so was it really always hers? Maybe both of ours? Or just mine?

I honestly felt it was mine, and not cool with her claiming as hers.

edit on 5-11-2010 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Ok so tell me why so many companys including Sony, one of the biggest players in the anti piracy thing, make blank CDs and CD burners? 99% of music has copyrights so if its illegal to even make copys for personal use than why provide the ppl with a way of doing so?
Also, if its so illegal that you can't even make personal copys than why do none of the blank disks one can purchase not have any warning informing ppl. is it really right to arrest someone for a non deadly non violent crime that no one was ever properly informed existed? Because as far as the illegal to make copys for personal use goes, thats news to me. hell thats why i thought they made the darn things... Infact, if i remember correctly, when CD burners first started to come out one of its biggest selling points was that you could make back ups of all your disks!?!?!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If people didnt share music, etc, how would a new band, artist etc become known? The P2P helped so many make money from their hard work. Alsp P2P helped so many out their become so popular.

So Maddog, I ask you to stay with us, and see what we are also trying to piont out. It is ok by many to have their works shared, it is DEFINATELY not ok for some joe to come along and use their work or even their name to make money UNLESS there is full written and signed permission. Also know I respect what opinion you offered.

I want to thank everyone for sharing your opinions on this thread. I have downloaded holiday songs for my kids. I never really cared for Elvis's songs, but guess what, a friend of mine had me hear a few xmas songs on her MP3 player, and I still to this day have the CD. Yeah, I went out and bought the CD and Blue Christmas is my favorite song.

May all here and your families by the way not have a blue Christmas. Just a nice Christmas with family is all I can hope for considering so much that is happening in this world today.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join