It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is doomed/not doomed/was doomed/could be doomed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A quick message about doom *cough* sorry....I meant to say: DOOM!

...ok, not really. I'm a bit disappointed by the results of the election, but that's not at all what I want to talk about. What I want to talk about is the response to the results.

There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom on the left, acting as if this is the end of America.

Well...no, it isn't. Grow up. The democrats lost the House. We can go over why they did and whether or not they deserved to lose somewhere else as long as we do it in a rational manner. It's not the worst thing ever because it can change in two years.There's another election and if the Republicans screw things up they can be thrown out.

And then there's the simple fact that the Democrats still control the Senate and the Presidency.

If anything this might be the best option, as both sides will have to agree on things to get something done. Sure, certain legislation is going to pass because it's not really anything more than simple procedure, but anything with political impact is going to have to go through the ringer. It's going to force compromise and hopefully a level of sanity in discourse.

Neither side can accuse the other of forcing legislation upon the country, neither side can assign whole blame to the other.

And furthermore, this isn't going to be the end of the Democratic Party or Obama, it's an election. How many sitting Presidents have lost one or more parts of Congress during their Presidency.

Let's see...
Obama lost the house in 2010
Bush lost both the House and Senate in 2006
Clinton lost Congress in his first midterm...

Need I go on?

It's a predictable thing that there would be an at least partially opposition legislature.

Now, let's all be sane and look at this as something that is still unfolding. At least give it until the new Congress goes into session before you predict anything! Not a single bill has been proposed by a new Congressperson and yet people are already shouting of the end times and the death of America.

America has survived a lot worse than the party you (and even I) disagree with more getting some amount of power.

Being a sane person, I'm going to give the Republicans a year from now. I'll make some preliminary judgments along the way because I'm only human and will oppose and/or support various legislation. But they get a year before it alters how I vote in 2012.

Who's with me on the sanity train?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Good levelheaded post. It's always the same response when either party loses the House or Senate majority. Emotions run high and folks stop thinking because they feel like they won the Super Bowl, or something.

Problem is, the money train is running in more than two directions these days. Plus, anonymous campaign finance contributions from foreign interests are also influencing elections. The 2012 general election will not look like, nor proceed in a manner like any other election we've ever known. I think this year's election was a prelude of things to come.

Without campaign finance reform, we as a nation really are doomed.

This election, Iowa voters ousted three state supreme court judges who along with four other judges, in a 7-0 decision, made Iowa the first Midwest state to permit same-sex marriages. The judges were targeted in a campaign that was financed largely by out-of-state, and possibly foreign, interests. The decision to allow same-sex marriages was termed as "legislating from the bench" (a term that is at best vague in definition) by its opponents. Chiefly organized religious groups such as National Organization for Marriage and the American Family Association. Many contributions to the campaign were, of course, anonymous.

That Iowan voters in their zeal to unseat the judges, based on one ruling, rather than seek through the state’s congress to actually legislate against the ruling, really does spell doom for Iowa, if not for the the entire nation. What Iowans, those who voted against the judges, don't understand is that they sold off their legal system.

Seven state supreme court justices unanimously voted that "a law defining marriage as between a man and a woman represented unlawful discrimination under the state constitution." Rulings don't enact laws. Congress does. Congress doesn't interpret laws. Courts do. That's part of our nation's and state's systems of checks and balances. But since the majority of Iowa's votes have it twisted how that system works, they sold out three fair and impartial state supreme court justices to those who financed the campaign to unseat those judges.

The citizens of Iowa, whether they voted for or against the justices, are going to pay dearly, for their egregious behavior, over the next eight years -- if not longer. They basically voted their approval of a fascist state.

Just think, right now there are Iowan voters running around thinking that they won something by unseating three justices, when in actuality they just threw their entire legal system to the wolves.

Do Iowan’s still think that their landowner rights are safe? Nothing in Iowa is safe, now that their legal system has been sold off to the highest bidder. It really is alarming. That is in addition to being a national disgrace.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I think that our nation has very serious problems now that political candidates can procure and obscure campaign donations from any source imaginable. To me, this is why America is doomed/not doomed/was doomed/could be doomed.

Again, thanks for the post.

edit on 4-11-2010 by oneiric because: grammar

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
So does this also mean an official end to the two years of hearing how Obama is "UTTERLY DESTROYING AMERICA" killing ecnonmy, setting up death panels, and speeding up Eugenics? Well, I hope you are right.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Curiousisall

Well, I hated that too, but it's not from the side I'm on so my attempts to try and add sanity weren't so well received.

I honestly hope we have a toning down of the Anti-Obama rhetoric, hopefully to simply addressing his policies in a reasonable and fact-based manner...

I can dream, can't I?

Basically the point of this thread is that we need more reason and sanity. I'm willing to call out my fellow liberals on it, I hope conservatives do more to call out their fellow conservatives.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Do not get me wrong, I agree with you. I see no need to get all doomed and gloomed and it does take away from discourse. I guess I just found it odd that the rhetoric about how Obama is DESTROYING America has been nonstop for two years and so far I have only really seen two threads on ATS crying about doom over the elections. So I am with you, NO MORE DOOM TALK. I would just really like the DESTROYING AMERICA talk to stop too. I am fairly certain that the doom talk over the midterms will go away soon enough anyway but I was not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out there is all kinds of doom talk that needs to go away. Hell, I just read that Glenn Beck says the economy is going down, it is all ENDING soon. It is kind of silly all over.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I enjoyed reading the ops reflections on this election and what it really means but I must admit I am disheartened. I really didnt believe there were that many people out there who would be swayed by empty talking points and selfish buzzwords. Its lonely out there when you feel like everyone around you is just out for themselves and not the good of the nation and humanity itself. The one bright light I can see here is that historically pres. who have lost in the midterms have been reelected. History does repeat itself
Also, this hopefully will light a fire under the dems to start standing up to the repubs on their issues and stop getting walked on. The dems ideas are solid they just dont have the oomph behind them to make them happen. They need to take a cue from the repubs and not work with them on getting things done.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Curiousisall

I agree too.

So no more DESTROYING AMERICA talk or DOOM AND GLOOM talk.

Also no more WE NEED TO TAKE UP ARMS AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT talk for now, and it shall not resume until someone reasonably demonstrates that there is no other option.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

They say,Yeah, let sheeple wait till last minute,no other option, a toning down, then what can they do when they are all dead, dying, to poor,locked up,or to robotic to even notice.They say, Yes, calm them down, give them a sedative, so we can programm them to do whatever we want. Programm us, calm us down, tone down. They say, See how it works, the brain is numb and now we can play with it.They say, It's ok, don't worry, we will help you. Now just jump into this hole, ok, now put the dirt over yourself.
HELLO, I'M FROM PLANET EARTH. Wake up.
edit on 4-11-2010 by nite owl because: (no reason given)
www.youtube.comNrbfUDcN1V8... They say,everything will be ok, but these people will keep on spending without you while you pay and pay and pay. We need to get this and these kinds of baffoons and laws out of here and put america back on track to repairing itself before it's to late. This means now before we loose control. The repulicans and democrats will all be fine, you will see later, attitude. I and my ancestors are all tired of things will get better in the gov't. Well, i draw the line. It has not, it only is worse and a deficit to boot. So don't tell me everything is OK, when we contantly borrow money, ARE IN DEBT, but yet have money to give to other countries to help them out. WHAT A BIG JOKE. Do not tell me SIR, everything is OK.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
America (and freedom) died long ago whether it was with the creation of the Federal Reserve in 1913, the declaration of bankruptcy by the US in 1933 or the appointing of G.W Bush as President.
There will be no declaration of martial law, there is no need to as we are still under a declared state of National Emergency. The Constitution is gone and nothing short of open rebellion will make it the law of the land once again.
Doomed? Doom? If karma is real America is due for a supersized arsewhooping,
We might be alive but freedom is an illusion as any "rights" we think we might have are entirely at the whim of the government.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

What follows is referred to as the 'slippery slope' fallacy or the 'straw man' fallacy depending on whether you think the post is supposed to be taking my ideas to their logical extreme or putting words in my mouth. I'm not sure which is going on here.

Originally posted by nite owl
Yeah, let sheeple wait till last minute,no other option, then what can they do when they are all dead, dying, to poor,locked up,or to robotic to even notice.

No, I'm just asking people to calm down and analyze things rationally. No harm in that, is there?

Yes, calm them down, give them a sedative, so we can programm them to do whatever we want.

Not at all what I'm saying. I'm telling people to be reasonable and put things into perspective. Every two term President since Reagan has lost the legislature, so I'm telling liberals to calm down before they doom and gloom.

See how it works, the brain is numb and now we can play with it. It's ok, don't worry, we will help you. Now just jump into this hole, ok, now put the dirt over yourself. HELLO, I'M FROM PLANET EARTH. Wake up.

I'm awake, but I'm awake to rationality and reason, not ridiculous rhetoric and apocalyptic forecasting.

I doubt there's been a period in history where people weren't predicting complete collapse/the end of all good things/the enslavement of humanity etc.

I choose to be rational instead.

How about we look at the facts, look at things reasonably, and draw our conclusions from that instead of from our emotions.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm not with you on the so-called "sanity" train!

Tom Horn's blogs start on the following site, and are free to read. There's nothing "shaky" about this research, but it is voluminous. If you want to figure out what is presently happening to the Corporation of America, then please look back to its inception, and the reasons behind its founding.

defenderpublishing.blogspot.com...

As outlined in this series of articles based on my upcoming new book APOLLYON RISING 2012: The Final Mystery Of The Great Seal Revealed -- A Terrifying And Prophetic Cipher, Hidden From The World By The U.S. Government For Over 200 Years Is Here, the startling truths behind the clandestine society that helped frame the United States and placed within the Great Seal a prophetic Secret Doctrine can finally be understood. What even the best researchers of the Illuminati and veiled fraternities such as the Freemasons were never able to fully decipher is spelled out herein for the first time. The power at work behind global affairs and why current planetary powers are hurriedly aligning for a New Order from Chaos is exposed. Perhaps most incredibly, one learns how ancient prophets actually foresaw and forewarned of this time.

One caution: If you are a person that is happy living in a “Matrix”, cradled in the warm embrace of illusions, I recommend that you lay this study aside and enjoy your remaining days uninformed.

This made #1 on the best-sellers list, so don't be tempted to pass it off as merely a ploy to make money. It gave me a sure foundation from which to understand much of the NWO movement.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

FACTS. Fact #1, we borrow and we are in debt. Fact #2, we give money away. Fact #3 we waste all kinds of things and we are in DEBT. Tell me, where is the sense in all this? WHY? You make it sound like everything is ok, don't mind about it. I see no sense at all, even thru generation after generation.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I'm not saying it's 'all ok' I'm saying that it isn't something we can't deal with. We need to not resort to fear and panic and irrationality. We need to reason things out calmly and not give in to primal emotions.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Fact: Stating that so and so or such and such is destroying the country gets us nowhere outside feeling better about ourselves as compared to them. Even if it were correct, crying about it does nothing.
Fact: People have been predicting the end of America for about 200 years or so.
Fact: There are a lot of bad things that need to happen before we can actually declare America dead so talk of utter doom and gloom is again, nothing more than a waste of breath.
Fact: There are real problems that do need to be dealt with.
Fact: You do not treat a headwound with a funeral.

top topics

join