It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I see dead people...with bug out bags

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I have been a reader of the survival forums for quite some time now, and I have to say that I am starting to become very worried about many of you. In the event of an actual disaster, be it natural, martial law, or terrorism or global war, things will simply not suddenly be like a video game where survival is easy with a bug out bag and a knife and a gun. Within the first weeks of a major disaster which leaves us without rule of law, up to 80 percent or more of this nations population will die. Be it from exposure, starvation, dehydration, lack of medicine refills, or physical violence, there will be a massive die off of the population. A very many of which will be carrying a bug out bag.

I romanticize ideas as much as the next guy, but everyone's overconfidence in their own survival skill, which probably stems from too much time playing modern warfare and fallout, and seriously, they may not admit it, but most have never even fired a real gun. Its not like in the games, kiddos. In fact, its absolutely nothing like in the games.

The fact is, bugging out with a pack on your back just isn't going to work. Too many complications in the long run. You will die. The only real hope of long term shtf survival is in a home that you can defend, that's stocked with food, water, and has at least rudimentary self sufficiency capabilities, like a protected spot to garden, rainwater collection, etc.

I know this view just doesn't sound as fun, or exciting, but its just how it is.

For any of you who really want to learn skills and gain true insights on how things will be, and be entertained as well, I strongly suggest heading to youtube, and pulling up YANKEEPREPPER 's channel. Over the past couple years he has made hundreds of videos, vlogs, and more on the general topics of survival in the shtf, guns, prepping foods, and general day to day life. I suggest all of you watch his videos and try to learn something that WILL help you if society really does break down.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Real statement

2nd S&F

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I know, I used to be one of those people, until I started going to the shooting range, and I realized just how hard it is to actually hit something.

Personally I don't think a bug out bag is the way to go. Most people are probably better off staying put at their home.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I respectfully disagree! However, either choice you make, to bug in or bug out has a ton of variables that will determine the outcome.

To bug in, means that everyone knows where you are. There is a network of roads connecting your house to a grid. It's like a big arrow pointing right to your location. The more you make it look defended, the more stuff you will be assumed to have making you a huge target.

While they might go as far as going door to door, hiking through brush and bramble will not be something anyone wants to do in order to go looking for resources. Especially when there's such easy targets bugging in.

I'll take my chances in the thicket by a lake - silent, easy to capture food, no need to build a fire to cook it if things get really scary, easy enough to stay mobile with the woods and nature being a better early warning system than ADT.

I hope if it happens, perhaps we'll both make it and have a chance to share stories over a campfire some day.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

I think a bug out bag serves its purpose.

Say you are on the road, far from your well stocked secure shelter and a region between you and home catches a nuke or some other cataclysm. Between those fleeing and aid coming in, it might be impossible to get home for a while, if home is still there.

With a proper BOB you have a better chance at surviving than without one. All that stocked up food and water doesn't do you any good if you can't get to it because a disaster has happened.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Thank you for this thread.
I have land and a home I can defend (in more ways than one). But that is not enough.
I considered scenarios in my mind and decided:
Have SOME food, etc in the home being defended.
Be sure to have SEVERAL places (prefereably dug in ground) of more goods, then ammo and extra weapons, makeshift shelter material to protect from elements, some needed tools, extra clothing, etc.

NEVER keep everything in the home, primarily due to the fact that the home itself is not toatally fire/burn resistant. Plus in the middle of the night, you and your family may need to leave, you will still have supplies to fall back on along with some piece of mind.

Truthfully, if I get word that military are coming, I definately am not taking chances wasting my time defending my home....Plus you never know, if military come and discover no one is there, they may light the place up as a marker they were there.
So whatever you do, keep extra essentials outside of the home at a good distance.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BobbinHood

Take it from someone who has done his practice. It takes many many rounds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars for EACH gun you own to become a "proficient" shot. If you don't want to spend the money, just hold the target in your sights for a few hours a day. It's mostly muscle memory. After a while your wobble will get smaller and smaller as the muscles get used to it.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I like your comments and agree that the best way to survive is to stay in your own home as long as possible.

The thing is I can't ever see a situation, apart from a massive exchange of nukes where society will break down to such a level that the government can't keep the Country running and order be reinstated.

During World War 2, my gandparents generation had bombs being dropped on them night after night, food shortages etc. They only had radios to inform them as to what was happening. S did HTF big style, yet life went on, people still went to work, they even carried on watching films in the cinema whilst raids were taking place. Maybe you are saying Americans are different and if your Country did get attacked, even from the inside, people will crumble into anarchy, killing each other over food and water. Maybe that is the result of having an armed society, I don't know.

i don't think they will crumble. They are very patriotic, regardless of who is in power.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Shelter in place is always the first choice. IF that isn't an option ... bug out.
We have our bug out bags ready. Always have had them.
It's better to have all options available then to be caught short.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

The difference is the type of jobs that they did then and what we do now. Shut our infrastructure down for one day and our businesses don't run the next.

We are patriotic, and we are civil, but our being patriotic makes us live to a high standard when directly threatened. For a number of us, there is no falling quietly into line when faced with anything tyrannical.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
To say that MOST people have never fired a gun is probably more of a regional statement. The county I live in 90% of the population has concealed carry permits so I believe its a safe assumption that most actually have fired a weapon and many are probably proficient with them. Holing up in your well stocked home will only work if you have the manpower to defend it.If not you will be nothing more than a sitting duck, the fattened calf. If you want some insight into how it will more than likely turn out and how to prepare yourselves you should check out a book titled "Lights Out". It is available online. Its a dramatized fictional account of a survival situation so it has a little more to hold your interest than the usual dry survival manual reading. The situation is very plausible and holds much wisdom.

www.frugalsquirrels.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I agree with your comment, one should always travel prepared, I do have my share of stashed gear and bags, I'm a huge fan of military surplus and firearms and camping out. Ill just clarify my point, I'm referring to the kids out here who think that a bag of gear is going to turn them into the ultimate road warrior, with no need of anything else to survive long term. None of them even think of the realisms in the woods. Nature is not friendly, nor is it like a hike in the local state park. In the wild, EVERYTHING wants to kill you. Plants, water, animals, bugs, parasites, etc. A BOB offers no protection. I'm personally more worried about boring death than death by door to door assault. That just makes me giggle a little.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

So if your Citys were nuked, government wiped out and China made it's move into your Country. Would you share your food with an American that needed it?

I'm sorry Im not trying to be difficult here or judge. I'm just trying to understand the possibility of such a SHTF situation happening to that extent.

actally ignore,, I'm gong off topic
edit on 4-11-2010 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

If nukes hit, I don't think there's a point in even trying. I'm on the east coast. Weather patterns will dump fallout on me even if it's a medium sized nuke in Cali.

Sharing with someone is an entirely different issue. I fully encourage everyone to treat encounters with others in a very cautious way. As for me, I'll know you're there long before you'll know that I am. In most cases, you will never know I was there at all and be on your way. No harm no foul, no risk assumed.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Maybe if you are talking about people that live in the city, and have never ventured out... Stop generalizing, woodsmen have a better chance of surviving in the woods with a pack, than a city person does in their home without power anyday. People in cities die all the time during winter power outages, you don't hear that kind of thing around here. Probably because we all have woodburning furnaces for just that situation.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

We also won't walk through a forest complaining about being hungry looking for a Pop Tart tree either.

Seriously research what wild plants people used to eat and become informed and you'll never starve.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

I don't know if it was the music but this video was powerful.

Thanks a lot!
edit on 4-11-2010 by drkid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
To bug out, or to bug in, that's the question. While bugging in sounds good, and you did raise a few good points, there are other things to consider. Riots are one. People will most likely be rioting. Arson sometimes happens when there are riots. Look at the 60s for example. Fire departments might have their hands full or may not be able to respond at all. If you're bugged out in your home and there's a fire, say a block or so away, how long will it take to reach you? What if you're asleep? Then, you'll end up a crispy critter thanks to your decision to bug in. Also, consider what would happen if looters came to your home. You may be able to shoot some but you only have so much ammo. If they have friends, they may just decide to set your house on fire. "If I can't have it, then nobody can."
Also, there's the problem of basic utilities and sanitation. Say the water is cut off and the treatment plant is no longer processing sewage. There's going to be a toxic bacterial soup brewing that will spread disease. You can have all the jugs of water you want but what happens when nature calls? Do it in a pot and dump it out the window like in the pre-20th century era? Imagine the stink from doing that for a week or more. Sure, you might have the windows closed, but you still smell it if a skunk is hit by a car-even with the window closed. It would be better to be in a place that at least has a stream, lake or river where you can at least boil the water for bathing or what not. I mean, imagine being in a place where you're unable to bathe. It may be okay if you're the only one there but if there are others there as well, it's going to be pretty rank soon, with all those unwashed bodies. I could go on and on with all the pros and cons of both scenarios but I really don't have the time and it would have to be it's own thread. Just putting my two cents in. Thanks for the interesting thread. I hope it gives people some options, if they need them.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Lol at poptart tree! But seriously, people like me, our bugout bag is also our hiking/camping bag. We are used to carrying it in the wilderness, there is a big difference between someone like me and a regular joe. I have camped out in the winter before, I know what it is like. I have camped out in the summer, I know what it is like. Someone that doesn't know what to expect, and how to deal with camping out and hiking in the winter is likely to die.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
and by ALL means, dont forget the toilet paper!
Its not just military I worry about knocking at my door, it would be my neighbors.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join