It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far is to far to you on race issues?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Mods if this is not in the right forum please move!
I was just reading a comment on a youtube video that stood out to me. It mentioned how come Black people can have pride in their race but not Whites? The user made a good stance as to why I believe no race should be above the other and hypocritical attitudes is wrong as well. I came up with the idea. How fare is to far for you? In other words what would say if you saw people of the same race or skin color showing a lot of pride toward their race and not promoting racism. What would you say if they were promoting racism? Difference? I would say yes. Now what you say about the opposite race of people doing the same as mentioned above? Would it be different? I'm not here to make people argue about race. I would just like to see your stance on this large subject in America as we type! Lord knows people in my area only discuss race issues; I live in California go figure. Respect is a two way street! So respect your fellow man and woman. Keep it positive.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Any kind of racial pride is idiotic and divisive.

None of us have any choice over what race we are, so why on earth would we be ''proud'' of an accident of birth ?

Having cultural pride is fine, as you can be actively contributing to your overall culture, but having pride in something as superficial as race is ridiculous.

I don't think it's possible to have racial pride, without being a racist.

The only motivation for this that I can think of, is a ''I'm better than you'' mentality. And that really doesn't help anybody.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
It's ok to be proud of your heritage. You should be, that is your family, the very history of who you are. Heritage is a record of how far one has come and serves as a window into how we fit in history. We should always embrace that. It helps us learn and progress as a species.

Racial pride is for idiots. Idiots because they don't seem to understand that there's only one race.
edit on 4-11-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The difference is that black people said "black pride" because back then they had absolutely nothing to be proud of because all of the white people were too busy being proud of themselves for making a profit by screwing black people over. The statement was not "We're proud -- better than you" it was "I'm proud of myself for dealing with you, now I'm going to hold my head high and show you that I'm just as capable of doing everything you do". Pretty much the basis of any civil rights movement that has used a "pride" event as a form of awareness.

White people saying "white power" and "white pride" were ignorant notions started by the KKK in the 70s, so I'd be careful where you regurgitate that crap. "Pride" and "Power" are crutches used to motivate minorities in equal rights movements. White people are wronged because of their race... where? That's why its ridiculous to say "white power" or "white pride". Even if there were areas where white folks are being wronged for their race, saying "white pride" and "white power" will only ever be related to the KKK's actions in the 70s and 80s and looked at as a negative.

But being actually proud of your race is moronic, unless you are proud of your race's previous accomplishments in fighting inequality, in which case you are proud of other people, not yourself. Why be truly proud of something you never earned? Ludicrous.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood
The difference is that black people said "black pride" because back then they had absolutely nothing to be proud of because all of the white people were too busy being proud of themselves for making a profit by screwing black people over. The statement was not "We're proud -- better than you" it was "I'm proud of myself for dealing with you, now I'm going to hold my head high and show you that I'm just as capable of doing everything you do". Pretty much the basis of any civil rights movement that has used a "pride" event as a form of awareness.

This is not relevant in 2010.

I believe the OP is talking about racial pride in the modern era.

White people saying "white power" and "white pride" were ignorant notions started by the KKK in the 70s, so I'd be careful where you regurgitate that crap. "Pride" and "Power" are crutches used to motivate minorities in equal rights movements. White people are wronged because of their race... where? That's why its ridiculous to say "white power" or "white pride". Even if there were areas where white folks are being wronged for their race, saying "white pride" and "white power" will only ever be related to the KKK's actions in the 70s and 80s and looked at as a negative.

The concept of ''white power'' started long, long before the 1970s.

I doubt that black people would have been so maltreated in the USA, if it it wasn't for centuries-old notions of white supremacy.

In fact, I doubt there would be too many ''African-Americans'' in the first place, if it wasn't for notions of ''white power''.

I don't think that any particular race is favoured or disadvantaged in Western society today.

I think the main problem is social attitudes amongst all all races.

Any idea of racial pride is divisive and incendiary.

But being actually proud of your race is moronic, unless you are proud of your race's previous accomplishments in fighting inequality, in which case you are proud of other people, not yourself. Why be truly proud of something you never earned? Ludicrous.

I agree.

I've seen some of the arguments put forth by white supremacists, and many are along the lines of ''look at all the inventions and scientific achievements that we have made''. We ?! What did the white supremacist have to do with these achievements ?

Talk about hanging on to the coat-tails of others !

edit on 4-11-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Too far, is when Black people protested against Resident Evil 5 (a video game) because it featured black zombies, they accused the game of being racist.

But its ok to kill white zombies?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You are exactly right. Being proud of your heritage is a good thing. That pride should come with a sense of being inclusive to educate others of your culture. Food, music, art, history and literature from a cultural perspective are the most interesting things on the planet. Every person should learn about their heritage and seek to expose others to it.

The challenge becomes when a group uses a racial view to exclude and or put down others in the sense that they are better than others. It is fine to think that your culture is better than another in the context of better for you the "being Greek is the best!" kind of thing. It is the business of "Irish are not as good as Greeks" is when the problem comes into play.

One of the problems with the American black community is that many don't endeavor to learn about their heritage. They want to be "Americans" but also want to hold on to this notion of being African absent no knowledge of their African roots. In my experience, Whites and Latinos are more knowledgeable of their cultural heritage and willing to share it in a positive manner than are blacks. Most serious Greeks find a way in their lives to get to Greece. Same with most white groups. Many will save their entire lives to get there. I just don't see that same tie to cultural heritage coming from most blacks. They want to be the same and be different at the same time and there in lies the problem. What they are really suggesting is that they are proud of their skin color and that is nothing to be proud of in the same manner that being tall or having curly hair is nothing to be proud of.
edit on 4-11-2010 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Hummmm.
Haven't been here for a while, but can't by-pass that :
Beeing member of the white race, or of any race, is no way "an accident of birth".
You're white cause your parents are.
If you're black, and your parents aren't, THIS is "an accident of birth"

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Too far, is when Black people protested against Resident Evil 5 (a video game) because it featured black zombies, they accused the game of being racist.

But its ok to kill white zombies?

Wow really? I own that game and the entire story takes place in Africa. I don't see how that is racist, it's a valid demographic. And not all of the zombies are black either.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I am glad op understands it is two way thing. Reverse racism seems to be very big nowadays in western countries.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Racial pride is sort of arrogant, and a tad bit egotistical, don't you think? On the other hand, the day we can all sit down and laugh at the individual quirks of our own race is the day race issues cease to exist. We all have faults, and they're funny for a reason.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
People are people, regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sexual orientations, or even opinion. The sooner we can accept that we are all equal the better off we will be.

That said, I tolerate Racial Pride when it comes from a minority group. Group identity for minority groups can be very important. However, when it comes from a majority group I find myself far more intolerant of such Racial Pride.

In 40 years when White Anglo-Saxons become a minority in the United States then I will be willing to tolerate White Pride. Until that point, however, I will regard such with disdain.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think that your "race" and the color of your skin are to very different things. We have no idea, who we are, because our true "his-story" is being kept. So I say that you should be proud of who you are today. Are you a good person? Do you represent yourself the way that you want to be acknowledged? If so, then pride is carried within, and there is no need to flaunt it, or make others uncomfortable with it.

Just because your either white or black, and others that committed either atrocities, or have had atrocities done to them, doesn't make you responsible for those things, as you were not there. But if you claim to hold those things as part of your heritage, then I think that then you can have a connection with it, as you "want" to be part.

Our connection is with kindness, love, compassion, understanding, and not color.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
It mentioned how come Black people can have pride in their race but not Whites?

...those who say that need a BIG dose of castor oil...

How fare is to far for you?

...how far is the fair?... how much is the fare to Tofar?... is this the bus to cartagena?...

In other words

...yeah, okay, that'd be nice...

what would say if you saw people of the same race or skin color showing a lot of pride toward their race and not promoting racism.

...how would you know they're not promoting racism?... no flags, no banners, no racial slurs?...

What would you say if they were promoting racism? Difference? I would say yes.

...the difference is that their racism would be obvious...

...which is worse - being covertly racist or being an obvious racist?...
...answer: covert racism is worse because they're deceitful on top of being racist...

Now what you say about the opposite race of people doing the same as mentioned above? Would it be different?

...the opposite race?... uh, jeez, whats the race of the people in the first example?...

...and which race is opposite of that?... are we talking opposites as in color spectrum?... or opposites as in priviledged by virtue of skin color v/s oppressed via virtue of skin color?... political opposites?... socio-econonmic opposities?... north v/s south?... east v/s west?...

...i need clarification... its TOO confusing...

Respect is a two way street! So respect your fellow man and woman.

...respect is earned, not expected, never demanded - and - there is absolutely no evidence in the whole history of humans that proves if you show respect to someone that they will always show you respect too... its the luck of the draw on that one, at best...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by orkson

I was using the phrase ''accident of birth'' to denote something that is beyond our control, such as our race or other physical features.

While it's true that my race reflects that of my parents, I had no control over this, so it would be rather ridiculous for me to claim some ''pride'' over this superficial fact, rather than being proud of something that I've achieved or have helped contribute to.

On the general subject if this thread:

If I managed to end world poverty, then there's no way that someone else should claim any credit or ''pride'' in my achievement, purely because they happen to share some vaguely similar physical features to me.

If I committed an atrocity, then there's no way that someone else should feel any guilt, blame or responsibility for my crime, purely because they have superficial physical similarities to me.

What perpetuates racism is people constantly identifying themselves and others along racial lines, and there is no greater example of this than any ''racial pride'' movement.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
In my opinion the race card was Maxed out years ago. What real difference does ones skin color make in life? I can see being proud of ones heritage but not race. One of my favorite movies of all time "Blazing Saddles" writen and directed by Mel Brooks makes fun of racism as its main theme. I look at it as a humorous and often times pathetic venue of the ignorant. But thats just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
how can a slave be proud dressed and trying to act like their master?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2272070000hicia
how can a slave be proud dressed and trying to act like their master?

Sorry to break it to you, but unless someone is 150-200 years old, then there are no slaves or ''masters'' in the Western world ( with the obvious exception of illegal modern-day slavery ).

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
i honestly didnt know race was such a big issue. but if im in a marathon and all the racers from say brazil decide they want to play dirty everytime they catch up to me; to me going to far is allowing them to continue in the same marathon.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

I'd be more weary about the Ethiopians and Kenyans in the marathon.

World's Best marathon times

edit on 25-11-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join