It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question I have towards all religious people!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am sorry, but the obvious is right in front of you. If you just all get over yourself you will see it. I was a hardcore agnostic, it took me awhile to accept it. I had all the same thoughts as everyone else in here

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Im probably not the target audiance, as im not religeous. I do have a strong belief in GOD and speak out to him and ponder about him often. Does GOD speak to me? I think so. Not so much in words unless when I'm looking at something that has choices, the "good choices" seem to ring out in my thoughts. I feel like I'm steared in a direction. I feel that everything that Ive ever asked for has been givin to me so long as my heart wanted it and it felt right. I cant ask for lotto numbers cause its not in me, but would be nice. But I dont think prayers of greed would work, and if it does, then based upon how Ive seen my life played out.... You're rewarded for your deeds, almost instantly. How that deed feels to you seems to be (to me) how much of a reward you recieve. But you cant fake GOD. If you know it in your mind, inside of you, then GOD knows it. Praying for your daily life brings happyness, while a lack of faith has roots in foolishness.. Making choices that condem the part of you that remains after everything else is gone. That sudden spark of life at some very minute second that each of us have when we became life.

I think.. I dont have a comment about religeons. I think prophecy is prohphecy no matter which one you follow. It's not so much about which label you fall under more than how your own personal relationship with GOD amounts. Your actions, your words.. Even words that people dont hear. When you accept that there is something greater than each and every one of us, and you interact with it, it will interact with you... good or evil! If you pray to GOD just to see, that is still faith, however small. At least ya went that far. The rest is always up to you...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Have you ever had some sort of "sixth-sense" episode - something that happened to you that can't be explained; some dream that you had the foretold of a future event?

If you haven't then it's easy to see why you have doubt - but if you've had even one unexplained episode in your life; something that can't possibly be explained by science or logic then you'll start to realize that there are capabilities that humans have that can't possibly explained by the evolution of man from a single-celled animal that "miraculously" appeared in the universe one day and was not only able to spontaneously form, but had the "knowledge" that it had to replicate in order for it to survive and thrive.

Oh believe me, there is a God…I don’t claim to understand Him well, but He does exist.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I am sorry, but the obvious is right in front of you. If you just all get over yourself you will see it. I was a hardcore agnostic, it took me awhile to accept it. I had all the same thoughts as everyone else in here

I'm a spiritual person but I'm not religious. Agnosticism is just as bad as any of the religious cults.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

What exactly took you a while to accept? What are you now aware of?
edit on 1-11-2010 by FurryExtraordinaire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Faith is food for the spirit.

We all have bodies, we all have minds, we all have spirits. The body you can see, it is tangible. The mind is intangible, yet we agree we each have one, though many people on this site accuse others of having lost theirs. It's consciousness we share. Now spirit is the hard one to pinpoint because it is intangible, like mind, and it acts like a verb. An activated spirit invokes passion, synchronicity, focus, precision.. think of a musician shredding the guitar on his solo, a politician getting fired up and actually saying what needs to be said without regard to being PC about it, a gymnast tumbling, doing a gazillion flips and somersaults, and somehow landing on both feet perfectly balanced. Yes these people practiced a ton to be able to do that, but, in front of people, there's pressure, and that's when spirit carries you. Faith dissolves fear (/doubt/limitations) and links your body and mind into one cohesive spirit of action, leading you to perform exceptionally or to be "in the zone."

How 'bout remote viewing? Basically astral projection. Been proven to exist and has been used. Read/watch Men Who Stare At Goats. That's the spirit body in action. It's provides intuition, like, (from the higher self's point of view) I should help that old lady pick up the groceries she just dropped, so my body doesn't cross the street at the same time that trucker decides to light a cigarette and run a red light.) It's hard to pinpoint when these moments happen, because it feels so unreal when it does. Most of us dismiss it as luck.

To quote Obi-Wan, "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Digest that, as I'm willing to continue, and possibly even apply it to religion, which I believe the OP is trying to discredit. (And, no hostile tension there, I believe a lot of scripture has been corrupted to a degree.) I just wanted to start out by giving examples on how invisible forces do guide us in the real, flesh and bone world, and how faith is necessary to be the beneficiary of such forces trying to help us.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I accepted God before "visible proof" was bestowed to me. Are all my questions answered? No, I have much more. Although, if something special was to happen to you, would you just tell everyone you see on a Message board? Probably not.
Also, the best proof anyone can have is probably the haunting or something. If you have experiance this you know there is another realm. Perhaps a spirit that is stranded on earth is a form of purgatory. sounds like it to me, but what do I know

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bowlbyville

Have you ever had some sort of "sixth-sense" episode

People get this feeling all of the time, so yes.

something that happened to you that can't be explained

You would need to specify the event, just because it can't be explained doesn't mean it's unexplainable, it probably just lacks anything to make an education guess on.

some dream that you had the foretold of a future event?

With the amount of dreams someone has, the odds of one of those eventually happening are probably pretty surprising. Regardless, this can be attributed to chance or "filling in the gaps", so to speak, by thinking you had a dream of this when in reality you only vaguely remember your dream but have already convinced yourself.

but if you've had even one unexplained episode in your life; something that can't possibly be explained by science or logic

Logically, you shouldn't claim it's unexplainable just because it lacks anything to make a case for, and you definitely shouldn't jump to conclusions.

there are capabilities that humans have that can't possibly explained

Such as?

by the evolution of man from a single-celled animal that "miraculously" appeared in the universe one day

Argue with abiogenesis then, regardless, even if we didn't have the idea of abiogenesis, you cannot reasonably assert that because it is currently unexplained, it's unexplainable or the idea that some magical sky deity did it. That's called jumping to conclusions / faith.

Oh believe me, there is a God…I don’t claim to understand Him well, but He does exist.

I'd rather be an atheist and skeptic and wait until people actually learn how things work before jumping to a conclusion.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Probably the best form of understanding proof is within this neat formula as well. And I got a C in philosophy and a D+ in theology in High school.

If God=omnipresence (multi-consciousness) than Consciousness=piece of God. If christ=the temple (the one to be raised) than the temple/synagogue/the church= the Body (your body)

Although, we have room for interpretation and opinion as well.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

These are human values. These are human values because they become logical over a period of time, logical in the sense that they establish a productive means of propagation and development for a society. Over time religious values change and adapt in reaction to environmental stimulus

If you believe your nation was founded on christian values, then there would have been no War of Independence, it's hypocritical to wage war for freedom and then state it was for christian values. Let's not forget the slaves either. Anyone can twist the words of the bible, or any religious text to suit their agenda.

Edit: Re-reading your post you seem to imply that the religious are the only moral people, and "purely human" are "evil" (which is subject to perspective)
edit on 1-11-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Well I have noticed that most religions have rituals and symbols that are given a meaning that help make you believe in them more. People make stuff up all the time to give certain things more meaning, kinda like how we invented time, money, and even science is based on theories and can be changed at any time. I was born in a catholic family but religion in general was not for me as I don't like living by a set of rules. But I believe most people believe because they may have had a coincidental event that gives their belief more credibility to them, like a dream of an angel, a prayer being answered, or a miracle. There are also those who are indoctrinated into it and are maybe to weak minded to become truly spiritual or just need guidance. All in all I have no problem with religious people as long as they are not radical and keep their religions to themselves as most religions can help people in guidance in rough times.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

"Have you ever had some sort of "sixth-sense" episode - something that happened to you that can't be explained; some dream that you had the foretold of a future event? "

Often. I seen my life for the past 20 years in a dream some 20 years ago. Seems like Im comming to the end of a few. The ones that come after arnt pretty. Im pulled to things. I remember some things way better than others with no signifigance untill they piece up at a later time. I always wanted to know everything as a kid. I'm like that now and it's bitter sweet. I can look at myself and wonder if I'm just a cracked nut, or if something is really comming from each and every one of us, some are upset that they dont have the same ability, but everyone has the ability. Open your eyes and heart. If you want good, then you'll see good. If you want evil, then those are your possibilities. Good benifits both you and those around you, Evil takes away from another.. That sorta thing.

I understand athiests. My best friend is an athiest. Its funny, and I'm glad he's the kind of person I can kick back with and enjoy an good argument... A debate if you will. Never heated.. Just as two intellegent/wise people trying to find sense and ways to explain to the other
We should always look for the answer, but stay away from worldly things because the answer is in you first, nature last.

Lets try this.. There are two forces, if you think about it. Spiritual and Natural (we'll call it).

The natural force will go on and live out it's so called eternity. In my world, the universe exists. But I also believe GOD made the world in 6 days. I believe in the vastness of the world. I believe largely that light is missunderstood. I believe that quantum physics isnt complete, and strings and antimater are just fancy words used to name something they have no clue about. I dont believe in dementions. Its drawings on paper vs the air around you. Cmon! We cant believe in an all powerful but we can believe in alternate worlds? Dementions? 1 sided strings? The unseen of the spirit can be seen, if you want to see if for the right reasons. Science doesnt quite have that ability. You can only see as far as the most powerful microscopes.

Ironic that we know more about space than we do our own oceans? How about we know more about our oceans than our own bodies. We know way more about our bodies than we know about our souls. I think we went the wrong way.

I ask that anyone who doesnt believe and is looking for proof, ask for it. It will come. But if you go in and debunk it as soon as it happens, whats the point? GOD does answer, and he does want that connection, and he rewards those that enjoy that connection, but you really have to take the chance to see.

I can look on the other side of the coin just as well... But looking there I dont see it either. So if you still dont see it, maybe it's just not there for many, but I dont believe that, it just takes us opening our senses to things around us. We're all a bunch of induvidual experiances to one another yet no one minds to see.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Lately Atheism seems to be the latest fad, its what all the cool kids are doing. I used to label myself an Atheist years ago before I had really lived.

It is easier to be negative then to be positive
It is easier to doubt then to believe without proof
It is easier to request proof then to prove

I have faith today, closest label would be Christian. However, I am not Catholic or Protestant or any other specific sect, just Christian.

I have no specific reason for choosing Christianity, perhaps it is just because I am in the west, or perhaps it just "feels" right to me. I have certainly researched other religions especially when I was "Atheist". I was always looking for reasons to label the religious as crazy, weak, stupid etc. So arming oneself with knowledge is key to pasting labels.....

The beauty of freedom, is the choice to believe in whatever you wish. Just be careful with who and what you choose to share, because it is this same freedom that allows others the choice to ridicule you for your beliefs.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PowerSlave

Instead of asking us for proof, ask GOD. Thats where we go. Dont ask of man, ask of GOD.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I consider myself to be religious. We all have something in our experience as being religious that was a moment, to each of us individually, that proved that there was something beyond being human. Our own moment of enlightenment, when we finally understand what our place in the universe just might be. It's not something tangible, not something that can be defined. It's a moment which we hold individually as sacred. I've always viewed true religion as being something that makes us strive to be something better than just human. It's placing self last. Doing good. Making the world a better place because we were here.
I feel blessed that I have had this moment. And I have faith that I always will.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I can't help but feel you have asked this question before....or something similar. You are an atheist, correct? If I answer your question, will you answer one of mine? First of all, I am spiritual, not religious. To say you are religious means doing something out of habit, is their much heart behind that? Perhaps not. In fact you could say most if not all those type of people have their own personal agendas and motives for "practicing" their religion. In my eyes, there is a correct way to live, and Jesus certainly was the perfect example of that. I believe I have a soul, and so this is what makes me "spiritual", in that I identify there is much more than just a quick fix for my desires. Sure I like sex, I like to smoke pot, I like to drink on occasion. I love heavy metal music and it causes me to question some of my favorites bands I grew up listening to such as Morbid Angel, Brujeria, Deicide....

But then I say, if one is bad, then its all bad, and I believe it to be just a product of the world, and so, it is not my fault that these influences are around me, if I chose not to listen to that stuff, I would certainly be doing something else bad by swearing or smoking. So no one is perfect. I more or less believe that keeping true to yourself, that is, recognizing that you aren't God's gift to the world, remaining humble and being respectful of people regardless of their opinions, is the way to live. I have friends from every different walks of life, and I need not preach to them, or correct them for doing something I feel is wrong. That is not the way to be.

So my question to you, why do you care what thoughts are in others people heads? Regardless if you feel it has hindered technological process, or had a bad rep in the past, religion, for the most part, is here to stay. You live in the world, and so you must deal with it. It is what it is, so why care?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PowerSlave
It is easier to be negative then to be positive
It is easier to doubt then to believe without proof

I hardly find living a life without purpose and positivity to be any easier than a life of blissful ignorance. Thought I agree with you on the last part about proof.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
reply to post by sparrowstail

Edit: Re-reading your post you seem to imply that the religious are the only moral people, and "purely human" are "evil" (which is subject to perspective)

Hehe Religious are NOT all moral. Ive met some good christians, very few, but still... And Ive met some labels.

What grips our country is not always what the people in the country stand for. Votes only can go so far. If you're going to tell me you're going to do something, and I believe you, do it if you're voted in. If not.. Then whats the point? Politics! Everyone has a say, but not a damn one of us is doing much in the way of making it better or making it right. Votes are just pieces of paper
Actions and worth are what man is measured by and what they produce. I see starving hurting people who cant get jobs or means to pay for everything they're loosing, including the ability to move around to try and take advantage of the nearest job.

Each and every one of us want a better life, ask yourself. We look at man to help and it's every man for himself. This is the byproduct of athiesm, I believe this. BUT on the same side of that coin are labels trying to take a part of the world by force carring little to those that fund their meals. We've taken the long way if any way at all. if you call the bible religeon, then you'll know that very few religeons follow it to the word. Half of us dont even know it's full content. They stop at the thou's and the's. It's got an incredible message, and yes much of it metaphore. In part its mysterious but as a whole complete novel of history, then the human soul, it combines alot of wisdom, and it will all "click". It's like a movie. Read close or you'll have to go back and read it again. It does have a universal meaning. Every single answer to every question is in there. But its what you take from it not something to worship. Never to oppress. Thats where the LABEL gets confused with people who actually believe in the true word of GOD.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I’ve been studying dreams for the past 6 years (not just mine but co-workers as well)…I have seen stuff that can’t possibly be put down to chance…not when I see it over and over again.

Try it yourself…write down each dream…try to figure out where it’s leading…after about 6 to 9 months you should start to see patterns and pointers and triggers that will lead you to an understanding that there is a whole lot more to the world than meets the eye…it will stretch your brain in ways that are unexplainable…and perhaps then you’ll understand…nothing I write will change your mind…do it for yourself…I certainly wouldn’t have believed it if someone had told it to me 6 years ago…I just wouldn’t have believed it…you have to experience for yourself.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

And you are not even mentioning the whole "lucid dream" phenomenon...now thats when the real fun begins!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join