It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the Church I used to go to a Catholic Church?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
When I was a Christian. I used to go to numerous Churches. One Church every Sunday gave me a small cracker and some whine to drink. They mentioned the body and blood of Christ. The other Churches didn't do this practice. They didn't dress and act like a Catholic Church. The Church was pretty much similar to the Baptist and SDA Churches I went to. Do any of you then or today do the same as eating crackers and drink whine?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

The catholic church I went to as a kid did the whole "body and blood of christ" thing, not sure about the others though...And yeah, they still do this in catholic churches.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
There a number of denominations that do communion, it isn't exclusively a Catholic thing.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Not entirely sure of which sect it belongs to,

But there were definitely lots of crackers and whining going on.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

The Roman Catholic churches I've been to have done the body and blood of Christ, the wafer and the wine. I'm not knowledgable about any other churches.

Originally posted by neowakko
But there were definitely lots of crackers and whining going on.

Thanks for the laugh!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The answer you are looking for is Lutheran or Methodist.

Or any of the 8,000 offshoots thereof.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
My grandparents were Christadelphians and they did the body and blood transmutation thing too. I don't know if it was just their ecclesia though.
edit on 28-10-2010 by StinkFist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

The answer you are looking for is Lutheran or Methodist.

Not Methodists, sorry, we don't use wine.

RR is a recovering Catholic, but would find most non-Roman Catholic similarity in the Anglican churches (Episcopalian in America) or a variety of Eastern Orthodox outlets, though the latter tend to use languages in service that aren't familiar to most Americans.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Well I still don't think it was a Catholic Church. But I will go with the other guesses. The Church's website doesn't explain much to me at all. Church site

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by adjensen

Well I still don't think it was a Catholic Church. But I will go with the other guesses. The Church's website doesn't explain much to me at all. Church site

Okay, with that clarification, I'm going to go with non-denominational, charismatic church, probably leaning towards a reformist view, which is Calvinism. Run, RR, run! lol

Definitely not Catholic.

One of the curious aspects of Protestant Christianity, as opposed to, say, Judaism, is the premise that, if you disagree with some church doctrine or another, you can just go create your own. I have some friends who decided that none of the local churches really met their expectations / needs, so they started a "home church", in their house, with one of them the pastor. They've since grown, and no longer meet in their home, but by my way of thinking, they're a bit out there.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
"Church of Christ" is an "undenominational" designation, not to be confused with the denomination "United Church of Christ" (see comment to adjensen, below).

Each local church is autonomous.

church-of-christ.org...

The Tyler Street church is listed on the C of C website

church-of-christ.org...

Hope that helps.

I notice, adj, that the organizational website describes their perspective as restorationist.

church-of-christ.org...

The United Church of Christ may be more aligned with Calvinist thought. It is the modern survivor of the Puritans, via the Congregational Church, which then merged with another denomination, hence "united."

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

When I was a Christian. I used to go to numerous Churches. One Church every Sunday gave me a small cracker and some whine to drink. They mentioned the body and blood of Christ. The other Churches didn't do this practice. They didn't dress and act like a Catholic Church. The Church was pretty much similar to the Baptist and SDA Churches I went to. Do any of you then or today do the same as eating crackers and drink whine?

In and of itself practicing communion every Sunday doesn't make them a RCC. I have been to protestant churches who partake of Communion every week also in the past. What else was this church like? Did the name have "St." in it?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

No! The street is the name of the Church. Tyler Street Church of Christ. I used to go there all the time when I was a Christian and preach.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

No! The street is the name of the Church. Tyler Street Church of Christ. I used to go there all the time when I was a Christian and preach.

Yeah, i just looked at their site you linked, I posted off your OP. Church of Christ is a "liberal" denomination, many of their teachings are on the heretical side of the spectrum.

"God Is Still Speaking"

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Liberal? I would imagine they would be more Conservative.
Humm? You go to Church still. I do recall Preaching was fun and every thought I was great.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Liberal? I would imagine they would be more Conservative.
Humm? You go to Church still. I do recall Preaching was fun and every thought I was great.

Oh no, not Conservative at all, did you read the link?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Well I did read the link. Last time I was there there were only heterosexual families.
Seems when I was a Christian this was the most Conservative Church in my area. They did not support Gay marriage at all.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Well I did read the link. Last time I was there there were only heterosexual families.
Seems when I was a Christian this was the most Conservative Church in my area. They did not support Gay marriage at all.

Interesting, maybe it was a Church of Christ, not a United Church of Christ?

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Church of Christ. Not United Church of Christ. Trust me!
They even had weddings there. That was the last Church I went to so i should know.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Romantic_Rebel,

In a protestant church, there really is none protestant anymore, it was what would be called "ordinance of humility" that comes from what Jesus, Yahshua instituted and here is a couple verses and there is more,

Joh 13:14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
1Co 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Most would do it quarterly but could be done more often. Known also as the Lord's supper.

The wine was unfermented of course.

Truthiron.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join