It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those poor people. When did we stop caring?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Hello everyone. After some deep thinking, I came to realize just how bad the homeless and bums off the streets have it when it comes to survival. Out there everyday they try to live another day as a survivor of an economic melt-down. Even being in third world countries like Iraq, all I ever saw was a bunch of people that were lied to of new beginnings and new ways to live. However we all know that that wont be a reality anytime soon since there is just not enough jobs created and getting things done without some lame terrorist attack happening by really poor people. Imagine yourself the worst living conditions that you would get, now multiply that by 10 and you will see just how these people out here try and make it will little to no income.

How does the world treat animals in the wild then? Do they have currency to determine if they are rich or poor? Well the human race seems to always make dominance through finance and the lesser beings are left with scraps.The real questions is... What do we have to do as a human being to prevent future generations from becoming peasants to some rich elitests and make the world about equality and fairness. Life can be so much more the war and money but we choose this lifestyle because no one seems to make it in life if they dont have money or survival skills. Remember that bum in the corner next time and think "what if this is me next? how can i prevent this?" Its time we start caring about life and those who have nothing.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

I think that as more and more of us fall into hard times, it will force us to become sympathetic to those in need. In that sense those with all the money are actually forcing us to stop idolizing them and their "Gods", if you will, and to begin to become a community again.

The new Bastille day is coming.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

And to think, when I was in el paso, most of the bums were actually ex-military from vietnam to present war. It doesnt matter who you work for, it will be use to work for in the near future.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
There are incentives for them to get off the street, such as hostels, and charity groups. Nope, these lowlifes love getting their fix on drugs and alcohol off the naive passer by, so as far as I'm concerned, they are not worth spittle.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joshuadrooney
There are incentives for them to get off the street, such as hostels, and charity groups. Nope, these lowlifes love getting their fix on drugs and alcohol off the naive passer by, so as far as I'm concerned, they are not worth spittle.

Wow. Just wow.

While there are drug addicts in poverty and on the streets there are also a growing number of working and homeless poor. In the US, for example, there are few shelters for homeless people, when compared to the actual number of those who have been marginalized by the economic collapse.

Stating such blanket disregard for other human beings is, in my opinion, very unenlightened and, frankly, despicable.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Dude we stopped caring when we took a NeoCon lurch to the right or the last decade. Are yet they want us to move even further to the right. We must have a sensible safety net to get people who for on hardship. I can forsee all manner of lapses of law and order happening. Why because everyone thinks of revolution when they are hungry. You don't need to be a marxist to believe that!

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Joshuadrooney

Click here for more information.

Mods beat me to it, it's against the T&C's to start name calling and it's also a reflection on your intelligence considering you can't debate without resorting to childish insults...

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Joshuadrooney

Dam dude. What blue blood family line are you from?

don't answer, I'm not going to bother..................

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Stating such blanket disregard for other human beings is, in my opinion, very unenlightened and, frankly, despicable.

~Heff

I don't give a rats ass what you think, I don't care if you think I am despicable, I don't care if you think I am mean, I really don't care! These "people" are below contempt, thieves, drug addicts and lowlifes that should be swept off the street and hidden from public view.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Here is a website that might educate you a bit about the real face of poverty.

Some excerpts...

At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.

According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death.”

Number in poverty
1 billion (every second child)

Approximately half the world’s population now live in cities and towns. In 2005, one out of three urban dwellers (approximately 1 billion people) was living in slum conditions

I could go on and on.

Now, do you want to stick by your "druggies" concept, or are you ready to face some painful truths?

~Heff

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Here is a website that might educate you a bit about the real face of poverty.

Some excerpts...

At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.

According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death.”

Number in poverty
1 billion (every second child)

Approximately half the world’s population now live in cities and towns. In 2005, one out of three urban dwellers (approximately 1 billion people) was living in slum conditions

I could go on and on.

Now, do you want to stick by your "druggies" concept, or are you ready to face some painful truths?

~Heff

Yes I do, because these foreigners would only be immigrating to the UK if they were not homeless. They can stay that way, hopefully they'll have hundreds and thousands more of their ilk with them when we get a government willing to kick them out of our nation.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Regarding the UK:

People living below the poverty line are distributed around the UK as follows:

* England - 11,546,000, or 23% of the population;
* Scotland - 950,000, or 19% of the population;
* Wales - 667,000, or 23% of the population;
* Northern Ireland - 340,000, or 20% of the population.

Source

That's a lot of drug addicts and dirty immigrants, huh?

~Heff

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Yes it is, and it disgusts me every day. This is what happens when a liberal marxist government is voted into power. Take notice.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

In response to your comment on my profile, an ant shows more intelligence than your doing...

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

We don't have a liberal/marxist government.
How many people do you disgust every day?

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Some more information to stop the generalizations and marginalization of the poor:

Working Poor

According to the US Census Bureau, in 2008, 19 million people lived in working-poor families. This translates into nearly 9 percent of all American families living below 100 percent of poverty have at least one family member working. i In fact, 36 percent of client households served by the Feeding America network have one or more adults working.

Female-headed households were more than twice as likely to be among the working poor than male-headed households in 2008

Married-couple families with children under 18 were almost 5 times as likely as families without children to be among the working poor in 2008.

Thirty-nine percent of all adult clients served by Feeding America have completed high school or equivalent degree with no further education beyond high school.

Source

Why Are People Homeless?

Two trends are largely responsible for the rise in homelessness over the past 20-25 years: a growing shortage of affordable rental housing and a simultaneous increase in poverty. Below is an overview of current poverty and housing statistics, as well as additional factors contributing to homelessness. A list of resources for further study is also provided.

Recently, foreclosures have increased the number of people who experience homelessness. The National Coalition for the Homeless released an entire report discussing the relationship between foreclosure and homelessness. The report found that there was a 32% jump in the number of foreclosures between April 2008 and April 2009. Since the start of the recession, six million jobs have been lost. In May 2009, the official unemployment rate was 9.4%. The National Low Income Housing Coalition estimates that 40 percent of families facing eviction due to foreclosure are renters and 7 million households living on very low incomes (31 - 50 percent of Area Median Income) are at risk of foreclosure.

Homelessness and poverty are inextricably linked. Poor people are frequently unable to pay for housing, food, childcare, health care, and education. Difficult choices must be made when limited resources cover only some of these necessities. Often it is housing, which absorbs a high proportion of income that must be dropped. If you are poor, you are essentially an illness, an accident, or a paycheck away from living on the streets.

Source

America Out of Poverty

Statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau reveal that poverty in America is estimated to affect over 35.9 million people, including nearly 13 million children. A person who works a full time minimum wage job actually lives below the poverty level by an average of $3000! It is also estimated that 70% of the poor in the world are women, and most Americans who live in poverty hold jobs,

The primary cause of poverty in the United States stems from societal structuring, social or racial grouping and stereotyping, isolation from social interactions and opportunities, lack of knowledge, employment skills, education and resources.

Myths surrounding the cause of poverty in the U.S. are held by a large portion of Americans, including a small number of scholars. There are those who believe that mental illness or chemical addictions are a cause of poverty. In some cases this is true, but often, these problems are a direct result of chronic poverty, rather than the cause.

Source

The reality of poverty is far more complicated than laziness, addiction, or nationality. No matter what some ultra fanatical people would have us believe. Many of us, who work hard and who have always contributed to society willingly and without hesitation are, as mentioned above, finding ourselves closer and closer to falling into the peril of homelessness, hunger, or untreatable illness.

Thinking that the poor are wretches, deserving of their lot is at best folly and at worst reminiscent of failed fascistic and communist purges that took the lives of countless millions in the last century alone.

There, but for the grace of God, go I... Wise words indeed.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

the city I live in now has a few shelters that one might go to for help.....
and well, they seem to be overrun at the moment (I am just basing this fact on the number of people I see outside of the one shelter as I travel home from work everyday....they are locked out during the day, gives the staff time to clean up, and the shelter sees it as an incentive for these people to get out and look for a job and the people are returning about that time to be allowed back in)...

there is also a blood plasma center that is a block away from where I work....you can actually be paid for your blood....
it's kind of sickening to see what looks like 20-30 people standing out there before 7 in the morning waiting to be drained of their blood, so they can have what they need....

the city I moved from didn't have a place where one could sell their blood, or much in the line of shelters....

so well....I don't think your idea that there are shelters for them to go to is all that accurate everywhere.
I've heard of abused women moving themselves, and their kids into cars because there was no room in the shelters, and that was during the good times!

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I think in the first world countries it's their own fault if they live below the poverty line or are homeless bums. Today you have so many oppurtunities to make something, to make it big, to make a lot of money. You just need to look around, get your lazy ass up and take the chances.
That's the problem: Most people are lazy, most people who end up homeless have a lot of problems....they're junkines, they don't want to work, they're stupid, i don't feel for them, it's mostly their own fault that they end up as they are.

Why should we care? I rather care about my family and try to have a great life, which i thankfully have. I know that i will never end up poor or homeless, because i always try to make as much money as possible, try to have everything in order and that isn't to hard to achieve.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join