It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN scientists eye parallel universe breakthrough

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by omarsharif

Why does there have to be a side though?

Isn't occult and religious phenmenon a science in itself just one we can't yet deconstruct.

Probably a topic for another thread but I have always felt that science underscores the symmetrical wonder of our existence not diminsihes it.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by omarsharif

This confirms biblical truth no more than there are stars in the sky. To second dimensional beings, we would appear as gods. So you are saying being who can exist in the 4th dimension are god(s)? That is only how we would view them, not as they really are. Read Flatland by Edwin Abbot for a better idea of what im talking about. It tells the story of a 2 dimensional being who comes face to face with a third dimensional being (us) and is convinced we are gods.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
If this paves the way for parallel universes, and say they exist, isn't there the possibility that another bunch of CERN scientists, in another, possibly a good few universes are also doing the same experiment at the same time........and isn't it possible that the various universes could collide at that moment with unpredictable results?

Remember the episode of Stargate SG1 when Sam Carter is in the lab trying to perfect Merlin’s cloak, and she winds up in a parallel universe because at the same time their Sam Carter was trying to build a matter bridge to draw energy from parallel universes? OK, Stargate is science fiction, but I have always found certain things in it to be scientifically plausible.

edit on 21/10/10 by woogleuk because: changed dimensions to universes, my mistake, oops

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
If this paves the way for parallel dimensions, and say they exist, isn't there the possibility that another bunch of CERN scientists, in another, possibly a good few dimensions are also doing the same experiment at the same time........and isn't it possible that the various dimensions could collide at that moment with unpredictable results?

Remember the episode of Stargate SG1 when Sam Carter is in the lab trying to perfect Merlin’s cloak, and she winds up in a parallel universe because at the same time their Sam Carter was trying to build a matter bridge to draw energy from parallel universes? OK, Stargate is science fiction, but I have always found certain things in it to be scientifically plausible.

I think people are confusing extra dimensions with other universes. An extra dimension is another spacial or possibly time dimension like the 3 spacial, 1 time we interact with everyday. A parallel universe is something entirely different, and is currently believed by scientists that if they do exist, it might well be impossible for us to EVER interact with. What they are currently trying to find with the CERN are extra DIMENSIONS. These would most likely be spacial dimentions we cannot for whatever reason interact with in a normal way. Again, Flatland is an amazing read to try and wrap your head around how other dimensions would work and how a being that could interact with 4 or more spacial dimensions would in effect appear as a god to us.

Someone mentioned the metamaterial experiment, and that is not to look into another universe, but rather to simulate in a very real manner how another universe apart from our could operate, even emulating basic quantum physics completely different than our universe.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

I was referring to universes, sorry for the confusion, I'm sitting in a place where I 'm not exactly supposed to be on ATS, lol, having to type quickly, switching tabs whilst looking over my shoulder! I'm lucky to be able to get on, I can't even see any of the embedded Youtube videos in threads, stupid bloody proxy! (and no, there isn't anyway round it, I have tried, lol)
edit on 21/10/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by nightbringr

I was referring to universes, sorry for the confusion, I'm sitting in a place where I 'm not exactly supposed to be on ATS, lol, having to type quickly, switching tabs whilst looking over my shoulder! I'm lucky to be able to get on, I can't even see any of the embedded Youtube videos in threads, stupid bloody proxy! (and no, there isn't anyway round it, I have tried, lol)
edit on 21/10/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

You too huh? *peers over shoulder to see if the boss is coming* Oh #!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Wow
I come back this morning and find what I thought nothing more than a rather cool news blip, to be the subject of debate. confusion and out right fear mongering....

I wonder if maybe there is a recurrent theme in that in all my bad-boy versions of the multi-verses... where I am simply a universal rabble rouser???

The only thing that would scare me is if I found a parallel universe self... to be some kind of pompous higher up in whatever passes for their version of a religious zealot.... might just have to kill him on my version of blasphemous principle

nothing like a little unknown to scared the bejesus out of folks

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

If you can't tell me which physics experiment is supposed to do this and how, then I accuse you of being gullible to believe what this author says. He doesn't say exactly how LHC experiments will prove parallel universes either.

Ya know your probably more right than wrong...
As I said in my OP I don't really understand the science involved, have not a clue how you'd go about proving or disproving something like this... that doesn't mean I don't think things like this aren't cooler than hell....

So I admit to being a bit naive on this subject, I have to rely on the veracity of others so if that makes me gullible so be it...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
removing a double post
sorry guys
edit on 21-10-2010 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I still stand by my earlier assertions that we really need to build things like CERN in space.... you know so if that freak occurrence does happen we still have a planet to live on... But then they'd have to let technology progress too far ... (the people at the top are the ONLY ONES who benefit from keeping us out of space)

It's criminally reckless building things like this when we know there could be catastrophic events of unanticipated nature on the only planet we have. For those that say the technology isn't there to build one of these in space all I have to say is this. The technoogy exists even at the white world to do something like this tomorrow. But to do so would require novel applications and techniques that once shown to the engineering world would quickly spiral technology in a direction those that run things are DESPERATELY trying to avoid.

Technology that would make it possible for a county sized block of people and resources to 85% or more self sufficient. this would create a situation where megacorporations and Big governments become OBSOLETE... It would trigger a balkanization that would make it nearly impossible for the people that pull the strings to maintain the level of control they have currently. And it would be INEVITABLE, people will only accept being controlled and taxed to a certain point and that point is directly relational to how dependent they are on said large system to keep their standard of living and infrastructure going. If we started doing these space systems fairly regularly it would trigger development of techologies that would make small communities self sufficient.

This would put washington DC and even state capitols in a position of ENGLAND in the 1770's. They would have to pass the equivalent of a stamp act limiting the use of the technologies that people would know about being able to make them self sufficient. This happened in the 1770's and it will happen again with Fablab type 3d printing technology ... space programs exacerbate it by creating new technologies.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
So an alien/astronaut or whatever you wanna call it comes to Earth, he/she doesn't speak a language so we have no way of communicating and "it" knows nothing about our planet, solar system or galaxy. So, we tell "it" to find a needle in a hay stack. Let's think about this for a second. 1 It has no comprehension of what I said. 2 It doesn't know what a needle is. 3. It doesn't know what a haystack is. 4. We can't communicate with each other on any level. HOW THE HELL IS IT GOING TO FIND IT? It just doesn't make any sense at all. This whole LHC/CERN thing is a joke, I wonder what their real objective is?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
reply to post by Arbitrageur

One of the most fascinating discoveries of our new century may be imminent if the Large Hadron Collider outside Geneva produces nano-blackholes when it goes live again. According to the best current physics, such nano blackholes could not be produced with the energy levels the LHC can generate, but could only come into being if a parallel universe were providing extra gravitational input. Versions of multiverse theory suggest that there is at least one other universe very close to our own, perhaps only a millimeter away. This makes it possible that some of the effects, especially gravity, "leak through," which could be responsible for the production of dark energy and dark matter that make up 96% of the universe.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

I know it's an old article but still relevant to your question.
edit on 20-10-2010 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

It makes me think of when they split the atom. The scientists who made the bomb were not sure what to expect. Way more energy was released than any of them expected. Colliding particles is creating strange particles and they are doing things with "stuff" they don't know much about. How can anyone know how much energy will be released depending on each separate collision and what is produced.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Lol. makes me think of john titor. I know, I know. everyone will say thats been debunked and its insane for anyone to believe that he was from the future' But look at everything he said. there is more there than just made up bull. But as another poster said, they are way more advanced than we know.Working on things we wont see for another 5 years. But really, why worry about any of it. we are all gonna die one day anyways. once we are gone, the time we spent here will be just a blink of an eye anyways. We must love torture to want to live forever.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
I still stand by my earlier assertions that we really need to build things like CERN in space.... you know so if that freak occurrence does happen we still have a planet to live on... But then they'd have to let technology progress too far ... (the people at the top are the ONLY ONES who benefit from keeping us out of space)

It's criminally reckless building things like this when we know there could be catastrophic events of unanticipated nature on the only planet we have. For those that say the technology isn't there to build one of these in space all I have to say is this. The technoogy exists even at the white world to do something like this tomorrow. But to do so would require novel applications and techniques that once shown to the engineering world would quickly spiral technology in a direction those that run things are DESPERATELY trying to avoid.

Technology that would make it possible for a county sized block of people and resources to 85% or more self sufficient. this would create a situation where megacorporations and Big governments become OBSOLETE... It would trigger a balkanization that would make it nearly impossible for the people that pull the strings to maintain the level of control they have currently. And it would be INEVITABLE, people will only accept being controlled and taxed to a certain point and that point is directly relational to how dependent they are on said large system to keep their standard of living and infrastructure going. If we started doing these space systems fairly regularly it would trigger development of techologies that would make small communities self sufficient.

This would put washington DC and even state capitols in a position of ENGLAND in the 1770's. They would have to pass the equivalent of a stamp act limiting the use of the technologies that people would know about being able to make them self sufficient. This happened in the 1770's and it will happen again with Fablab type 3d printing technology ... space programs exacerbate it by creating new technologies.

It would also be criminally irresponsible for us not to move forward. If the status quo remains the same, we will overpolulate and run our natural resources thin to the point of world conflict. A rising China is starting to flex its muscle and will not continue to allow US hegemony when it comes to oil in the middle east. We need technology to move forward and we need to to move now, and colliders like the CERN and LHC could solve many of the mysteries still confronting us. To me these issues more than outweight what most scientists veiw as almost negligable risks. The tiny black holes are much too small to draw in enough matter to ever cause a chain reaction large enough to become stable for more than a nanosecond, or so ive read.

I agree space technology is important and must move forward as well, but coliders allow us to understand particle physics in a way currently beyond our grasp. To get to the point where we can actually set these coliders up in space to minimize risk to us here on earth would take decades i would imagine, decades i seriously doubt we have before global conflict accelerates out of control. We need a alternative energy source and we need it now.

I cant see the whole 'city state' solution either. Sure it sounds nice to have our little communes, everyone living in peace, but as you say, in order to drive the space research a small community would not have the resources to do it alone, so they would require a federal government to tax all the individual states to get the money to drive this research. So, we're back to square one.

edit on 21-10-2010 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2010 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

As I mentioned to you on page 2 of this thread... You wouldn't run into a parallel universe of yourself... You would cease to exist in one and begin existing as the other.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Regarding the other dimension theory, I used to think that all of that was metaphysics/Hippie, Sci-Fi stories. But with a little bit of reading all made sense in many ways, The sumerian "gods" theory along with the enlightment practices and the search of knowledge, the bible, Sitchin, Alien/UFO evidence...I see too many conections...

Or may be it´s just me??

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Judging by your comments I think you have come to the conclusion that I don't want these experiments continued because of the dangers I pointed out. this isn't the case. i wish tey wouldn't do things like this on the only planet we have, but i feel the knowledge is worth pursuing even with the risk involved. And while I agree that we should pursue technology even if it does have risks... I question whether anything will actually come of the research considering we don't capitalize on the knowledge and know how we've had for decades now in MANY MANY AREAs because of silly games and money coupled with politics.

In response to the city state not having the resources to do something like that in my hypothetical scenario...

You are right if we somehow keep fiat currencies and the idea of "financial services economies" as a viable economic tool.

What I mean by this is pretty simple... Since the financial services industry and it's myriad other hangers on have materialized we have seen inflation the likes of which is staggering (reference the difference in cost between an f4 phantom and an f15 eagle at the beginning of their lifecycles) the congressional hearings around the f15 procurement were very illuminating in that at one point it is FLAT OUT ADMITTED to congress that between the 60's and the 80's there was a REAL inflation of 500% (not that's not a typo) that's right FIVE HUNDRED Percent inflation in the cost of every single step and substep of the process...

This is even more telling when you realize that the man hours to build each aircraft and tooling on cost adjusted basis had sank THROUGH THE FLOOR comparatively so that 500% was really even more. Then look at how on cost adjusted basis the materials used to build high end high tech stuff like aircraft have actually GOTTEN CHEAPER in the same time span. Again add a bit more to the 500%

Now realize that the organizational structure necessitated by a Fiat currency driven managed economy (if you think our economy isn't managed look up how many laws there are in the US dealing with COMMERCE) is EXPENSIVE by itself.... Think about how many servers wouldn't need to be built and how many power plants to power the server farms and roads to the farms and and and... If we had a Real GOODS pegged currency. For that matter think about how much it costs us just to keep the law current with the new exploits thought up every day that are only possible due to the nature of our financial system.

Ok now that you're thinking about all this and the paperwork realize that every single thing like a satellite has these "hidden costs" duplicated THOUSANDS of times over throughout the process of getting built these costs are unavoidable due to the fiat system and other things we do ... Every factory and firm you deal with has these costs which they pass on with a profit margin tacked on at each handoff point. It's like the aerodynamic concept of parasitic drag this is inseparable from the system we use now... BUT in a revamped system like I'm talking about and hypothetically putting forth (it's my story I'll tell it how I want LOL) I'm assuming that the Bank Cartel and financial "services" scam probably wouldn't survive.

Now with this being the case and the parasite dragon slain, and no big government agencies with complex time consuming and therefore expensive regulatory hoops that they put each subassembly and plant that makes them and each employee there needing clearance through... so these hidden costs go away at EACH stage making each follow on stage that much cheaper! You'd be surprised how inexpensive high tech could be if we dealt with intellectual property in a way that favored implementation rather than secrecy.

(I'll put up my patentnet concept one day for you guys to tear apart... it's my vision of how we could set off a new renaissance by the simple expedient of making it more profitable to share new technology and get it out there than to keep it proprietary and in house jealously guarded.)

Bottom line is it's doable...

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

edit on 10/23/2010 by Larryman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by Cataka

Why? Have we destroyed ourselves yet?

Right, that's exactly my point - we haven't destroyed ourselves yet, regardless of all the weapons we've made. Saying that we're going to make a world-ending device by accident - or even by design - at this stage of our development is giving mankind too much credit.

Even if we accept the theory of reverse-engineered alien technology, from all the books/articles/conspiracies I've read, we can barely scratch the surface of what those ships and techology are capable of, so there isn't a rationally conceivable way we could make a doomsday device by accident.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Actually CERNs own internal documents give an ICE-9 event(destruction of Earth) about a 70 Percent chance with the soon to run experiments. www.cerntruth.com...

But Im sure you are a far more reliable source on the subject opposed to their own scientist.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join