It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN scientists eye parallel universe breakthrough

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

CERN scientists eye parallel universe breakthrough

abcnews.go.com

GENEVA (Reuters) - Physicists probing the origins of the cosmos hope that next year they will turn up the first proofs of the existence of concepts long dear to science-fiction writers such as hidden worlds and extra dimensions.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I don't pretend to understand any of this... yet I think its cool as hell!!!
other than reading a few great SCi Fi novels along these lines... I know very little on the subject

I think a good many of us believe there is something else out there hovering on the fringes of what we know... I for one would love it if they could prove what has always been more of a gut feeling to me...

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-10-2010 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I just hope these guys really do understand what they are doing because if they are wrong they could destroy us all.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Maybe this is the whole paradigm shift the 2012ers are talking about. Knowing for sure there are other worlds, aliens or dimensions sure would change our paradigm as we know it. And it would just about line up with 2012 too.

Either way, it is really interesting.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

And as their Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN near Geneva moves into high gear, they are talking increasingly of the "New Physics" on the horizon that could totally change current views of the universe and how it works.

the chance of destroying us all is almost nil, but is it worth taking ? Hell no..
The truth is, nobody knows what gonna happen next, nobody have done this before, sure they say the same "stuff" happens in space all the time.. but I would say this is a diffrent environment
edit on 20-10-2010 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
I just hope these guys really do understand what they are doing because if they are wrong they could destroy us all.

Your reply reminds me of a not so funny story about J. Robert Oppenheimer
father of the atomic bomb...

Did you know there were two camps as to what was going to happen when they first pushed the button...

on one side some thought the resulting explosion would set fire to the atmosphere and turn the earth into a charcoal briquette...
the other camp thought nothing would happen, not even the hopped for boom...

J. Robert Oppenheimer belong to this first group and he was the most outspoken person on the team when it came to this view point... he so strongly believed if he pushed that button he would end all life on earth, enough so that he is credited with the quote "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

as we all know he pushed the button anyway, thankfully he was wrong...
edit on 20-10-2010 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

haha drama! Just go with it, if it did destroys us we won't know much about it as it will be instant and lets be honest, it wouldnt be a tragedy if the human race was destroyed as most of us are selfis, greedy, arrogant souls anyway.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If they really believe this and they are successful in finding a way to interact with other dimensions, then they and the LHC may be what starts it all off toward 2012. I feel they should leave WELL alone.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Time Machine Built in Europe, Russian Scientists Say

Full Story

Since the LHC is designed, figuratively speaking, to create a part of space on Earth, then it can be used to obtain dark energy. This is also an important detail of creating the miracle machine. Another necessary condition for making the machine work is to distort space and time so it closes up in a ring. And the LHC is quite capable of that.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
So science one day may catch up with reality.
Science is such an inconclusive art.
edit on 20-10-2010 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Or even worst allow the anti 1 to enter.
2nd

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
OMG They have no idea what it does. Just shut it down NAU.
edit on 20-10-2010 by _SilentAssassin_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
All I know is, if by some weird chance they do eventually pull this off, and discover a parallel universe. I'm gonna be rather ticked if the other me is a millionaire, or something like that. And I'm sure there is someone over there thinking the same thing of someone over here.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Time travel eh!

It would be amazing if it was possible. We could go back and reverse so much of the damage that we've ceated in the past. Im not sure how much we should mess with it. But going back and telling people to use more green energys from the start stuff like that. Or delivering technology thats decades ahead of its time.

Still sounds a lot like fiction at the minute though. But ill definately be keeping an eye on discoveries LHC makes.

This could also add some weight to the arguments of those who believe UFO's are from the future and that Aliens are infact ourselves thousands of years from now.
edit on 20-10-2010 by KrypticCriminal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well the repercussions could be drastic, but I for one am still curious to this matter. I haven't read much on the LHC in a while, but after reading this I'm excited again, and find this fascinating if they do find another realm I wonder what will happen. Will it be more so a portal or a viewing 'gate'? Either way I'm interested in knowing more

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

You can only go back to where the first timemachine was activated.. you need a gateway, everybody knows that

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Thats right lmao!

so we would indeed be pioneers then.

Well that blows time travelling humans out the water then.

Still i never bought in to that theory anyways so its no loss to me. So history thus far will remain the same.

Can you remember that scientist that says he was building a machine that would use a cone of high powered lazers to put light in a loop, an thus time in a loop craeting a portal in time itself. What ever happened to that. I was excited about it at the time, but heard no more about it.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
What if the CERN equivalents in the other universes all do the same experiment at the same time and they rip apart whatever it is that holds the universes apart for a fraction of a second and that rips apart the fabric of all the Universes and that's it game over for a huge area of Europe which becomes a mishmash of fused universes.

This stuff has to be legendary for `Sci-Fi writers at the moment!

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
You remember a few years ago when physicists created a miniature black hole and all the hype was about us being sucked into this black hole eventually killing us all? Nothing happened.

Several years ago, CERN reasearchers collided a proton and an anti-proton and one of the resulting particles was as heavy as the nucleus of Au (gold). Now mind you, you have two simple, subatomic particles of differing charges, crash into each other at a velocity approaching light and out pops a mass that's more than 197 times the mass of either particle.

It's my belief, and I'm serious, that this is where the mysterious dark matter and dark energy lies. Multi-dimensions, each having there "own" matter, would solve the riddle of the "missing mass" in our universe.

It's just my guess and if I'm wrong, you can count that as twice I've been wrong in my life!

ADD: I was watching something on television where everthing, on the quantum level, is connected. What it said was, something to this effect, that matter in New York is connected to matter in Berlin through quanta. Could this be the answer to FTL travel and muti-universes? This would make for a good debate.
edit on 20/10/10 by Intelearthling because: added some more input.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

A yess... your thinking of Ronald L. Mallett a professor of physics at the University of Connecticut...

here is he´s homepage Ronalds homepage

I guess he is still working on it... you can donate money to the project on that page if you like

im sure we will all hear about it when the timetravel people is standing in Ronalds lab with a "wtf it worked" expression in the face

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join