It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Newborn child taken away because of a bagel"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

Law Enforcement does not need to go before a judge in order to place a child in protective custody. Doctors have the exact same authority, and Judges can issue a court order to remove a child from an unsafe enviornment, which is enforced by law enforcement.

. Since the child is not under arrest, there is no need for a warrant. If we applied the "before a judge" standard, then Law Enforcement could not make any arrests.

Also, child abuse cases are placed on a strict deadline in order to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

If you don't mind me asking, how is due process denied to a child in this type of situation?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Because the child is not old enough to protect him/herself and is dependent upon the rights of the parents in a court of law.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Did she eat the bagel before she went to the hospital or after she gave birth?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose A mother ate a bagel with poppy seeds on it the day she gave birth, and the hospital ran a routine test on the mother for drugs, which showed a positive for opium, because it comes from the poppy plant.

why on heaven.s sake do they run such things as a drug test as a routine when a woman gives birth to a child?
in my country this is not a routine.
you have to approve such a test and you can disapprove such a test as well!
not the business of anybody!
if a hospital demands such a test they need to have very valid issues to do so e.g. appearing drunk when giving birth

*off to shake my head*

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Outrageous. This is flat out female persecution.

A female comes to birth a baby safely, and the jackboots running the place DRUG TEST HER?

I am 1000 times aginst routine drug testing, it is archaic and in this case, the mother will nevr ge tthose five days back.

CPS can be sued, but good luck you need lots of money to evn attempt it.

What kind of scum do we have working for our children's interests, when they are so rabid to find evil drugs (opium is a very mild natural drug, and rather harmless in pure form).

Did the mom not get demerol for pain? What the hell was the drug test for? Most moms m birth with heavy heavy drugs not mild natural opiates.

The dna base I suppose.

I am furious for this poor woman right now. May be back later if I calm down.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by orange-light
why on heaven.s sake do they run such things as a drug test as a routine when a woman gives birth to a child?

That's a very good question.

My understanding is that, additionally, blood is being drawn from babies in the U.S. for the purpose of sending it to a DNA database.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is a tough one for me.

The "War on Drugs" is horrible; it creates violence, empowers criminals, and imprisons innocent people...

BUT doing heroin while pregnant can lead to drug addicted babies...and that is a serious problem.

So while this mistake was obviously the collateral damage of our Fascist drug policy; I still think pregnant woman that test positive for drugs should be investigated...obviously the investigation should come before the child is removed...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose

My understanding is that, additionally, blood is being drawn from babies in the U.S. for the purpose of sending it to a DNA database.

also a good question why they have to send blood to a dna database

actually i have the strange feeling that everybody in this world is suffering from being put under a certain general suspicion.

what are we guilty of? yeah being alive and self thinking

what could that lead to?
crime
welfare abuse
child abuse
life abuse
or what ever!

even an innocent newborn has to give blood for a dna database so they can track her 20 years later ……
OMG

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jezus

BUT doing heroin while pregnant can lead to drug addicted babies...and that is a serious problem.

that is surely true
but why testing as a routine?
is every pregnant woman suspect to take illegal substances while being pregnant?
in what times are we living?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
You got to love the media for placing a spin on the title of their articles to grab the readers attention. The article title should read: "Newborn Child Taken Away Because of a False Positive for Opium".

On the topic itself, I believe the hospital and other authorities did the right thing and followed protocol. All ended well, as the family got their newborn back. I understand the stress the family went through, but they have to know that it was done in the best interest of the child. I bet this mother won't be eating poppy seed bagels next time she is about to give birth.

My 2-cents

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KopKoos
Except if she was not telling the truth about the poppy seed bagel and the baby get sum cracked up milk in her system. There are too many cases of drugged mothers to not have a standard. It was not the same day either it was three days later.

www.telegraph.co.uk...
"ACLU attorney Sara Rose told WPXI-TV that Lawrence County Children and Youth Services officials came to Elizabeth Mort's home three days after she gave birth at Jameson Hospital in New Castle last month. "

Once again drugs separate people.
maybe they should put a warning on poppy seed bagels,and any product containing poppy seeds

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Regardless of what she put in her body, the question is " Do users of opiates deserve to have thier children taken away from them?" What about users of energy drinks?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have one question. Was the Mother given any pain medication during or after childbirth? The opiate family of painkillers (Morphine, Demerol, etc.) are commonly given during or right after childbirth. The reasoning behind this is that they tend to not contaminate breastmilk when given in low doses. However, the presence of these painkillers combined with the poppy seeds can very easily lead to a false positive for opiates. The presence of the poppy seeds tends to distort chemical recognition of the painkillers. The poppy seeds have trace elements of chemical impurities that will trip a test for Heroin when combined with the painkiller.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

What was done in the childs best interest in this case? Everything that was done was AGAINST the baby's best interest and in its worst interest.

The very worst place for a child is in state sponsered foster care.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by Aggie Man

What was done in the childs best interest in this case? Everything that was done was AGAINST the baby's best interest and in its worst interest.

Hindsight is 20/20. But suppose this mother truly was taking opium, would it have been in the best interest of the child to send it home with a mother that was taking illegal drugs during her pregnancy? You don't see the liability issues here? Safety issues?

Perhaps the hospital should have asked the mother a series of questions prior to giving birth...have you eaten any poppy seeds recently....

The hospital could have held onto the child and allowed the mother to stay for a day or two for "observations" so that they could retest the mother for opium...but insurance won't pay for that.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This is strange because When I was living in the states, I had a physical before a job, and consequently...you guessed it I had eaten some bread with poppy seeds and a lot of them the night before.

I jokingly asked the nurse with the doctor standing right next to her, if it was true that you could pop hot for opium, and that i didn't want any crazy surprises after my drug test.

They both took turns explaining that in order for that to occur you will have had to have ingested mass quantities of poppy seeds over the course of several days.

Kind of like the arsenic in apple seeds wont kill you if you eat all the seeds in one apple but can if you eat all the seeds in 10 apples.

Hell that could both be pulling my leg though, I thought it was worth mentioning.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is the first time I heard of a hospital doing a drug test after a mother gives birth...

They didn't do that to my wife 3 years ago, but we live in a different state than where this happened.

doing any medical procedure including a drug test is illegal without first being approved by the patient in most places.. of course we know how politically correct doctors and nurses these days may take it upon themselves to do these things..

and cps does have way way too much power....

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

They don't do drug tests after the baby is born, the reason is because the drugs given to the mother would bring the tox panel back as positive for a lot of drugs they screen, including opium.

Thats why I asked if she was given the bagel before or after the birth of the child. If its before then it was a false positive and really no harm done. If it was after then the bagel couldn't have been the cause of her testing positive.

Whats really interesting is that they waited 5 days to give the child back when in most cases they would have done an immediate follow up test. That would have put her around the maximum time poppy seeds can trip a tox panel. If it was the poppy seed as claimed then she would have tested negative, especially if she informed them of her diet. They would have up the dose that they measure for so that poppy seed contamination wouldn't be detected.

Something weird is going on here and right now we are getting a full dose of one side of the story and I just want to know when she ate the bagel.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose

Because the child is not old enough to protect him/herself and is dependent upon the rights of the parents in a court of law.

Not in a possible child abuse / endangering the welfare case. Again this is why the court assigns a guardian ad litem to represent the child. Due process is being used in this regard, since the child is not being accused of a crime, but is a victim.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

You don't know that the child is a victim of the parents. That's what courts of law are supposed to determine.

An attorney paid by the government to represent the child is not the same as the parents representing their own flesh and blood.

edit on 10/20/2010 by Mary Rose because: Grammar

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join