It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cambridge schools to observe muslim holidays

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Massachusetts public schools to have muslim holidays

www.theglobeandmail.com...

"In a multicultural society, do we need to reconsider which religious holidays merit a day off from school and work? "

______beforeitsnews/story/211/106/Massachusetts_Public_Schools_to_Have_Muslim_Holiday.html

"According to Wikipedia, the majority of Americans (76%) identify themselves as Christians (51% Protestants; 25% Catholic). Non-Christian religions (including Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism), collectively make up about 4% to 5% of the adult population."

well folks here it is they get a new mosque built right next to ground zero.......they get their footbaths in state and federal buildings..........they get every concession known in this political correct society..........im getting tired of it all.............

there are what a few million muslims in america and yet this government and this country bends overbackwards for them...................i have my problems with it all........

so during christmas and thanksgiving what do all the muslims do? goto school thats closed or do they get a third holiday that noone else gets?

meh

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't like public schools closing for any religious holiday, period. I believe that the schools should be closed around the new year period and there should be some public and summer school break periods, but as to have it catered to specific religious holidays, no I disagree with that. There should be no issue for parents to have a note keeping kids absent during religious festivities, and if that is not acceptable by the public schools, there is nothing stopping these parents from sending their kids to a Christian or islamic school.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Some anti-spin from the local news in Cambridge:

The district plans to close for one Muslim holiday each year, starting next school year.

The motto at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School is "Opportunity, Diversity and Respect." Supporters of that initiative said this decision is reflective of those very principles.

“Only our Muslim families had to make the choice of ‘Do I keep my child home to celebrate this holiday with the family and have them miss school’ or ‘Do I send them to school and have them not celebrate?’” said Marc McGovern of the Cambridge School Committee. “We certainly wouldn’t stand for that if that was the issue about Chirstmas

Source

Freedom of religion is an integral part of this nation. Allowing a Muslim holiday to be observed along with Christian and Jewish holidays is not the stirrings of the coming of Shariah law - it's equity and fairness. Regardless of what the hyperbolic wish to make us believe.

I don't want to live in an America where anyone has the power to tell me what God I can or cannot worship and I refuse to allow others to be subjected to standards that I, myself, would not accept.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't think school's should be closed for ANY religiously themed holidays. Church and state are supposed to be separate. Now I do think kids of all religions should be able to stay home on those days, but they would do so as a sort of "personal day" just like when I was a kid and my Dad wanted to keep me out of school for a day to go fishing, you just don't show up... I don't think kids of any faith should get special treatment but then again they are giving the entire school a day off so... So I could really go either way on this one...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Indeed, and I wish to add another point to this.

In a world where the US is creating all kinds of enemies in the Middle-East I think a little PR can go a long way to re-assuring those at home and preventing homegrown minorities from becoming radicalised.

Having children receive a day off school on account of an Islamic holiday, helps foster a cultural exchange that will do much to bring about positive change.

Do you want to grow up in a polarised world filled with hate?

I know I don't. America is NOT a Christian nation.

Fake christians wanting a holy war makes baby Jesus cry.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

and man i refuse to live in a world where someone elses god and their beliefs matter more than mine

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

fake muslims wanting jihad makes allah weep

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Explain to me how observing holidays from multiple religions makes any one matter more than any other? I don't follow the logic.

Neo... From my perspective it seems like you are saying that you won't allow anyone elses God to be held above yours, while you happily hold yours above them.

Equality and freedom have to be for all, or for none. That is how it works.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Maybe they should also change the name of their state to Muzzychusetts. Yeah, just what Americans need, one more day of sleep.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

no man no.........................from my perspective all are equal noone above the other but in this world we live in today there is one and others that are considerably looked down upon and there is one that is clearly above reproach..................thats all i am saying i do not seek to push my beliefs on anyone and i dont want someone elses beliefs pushed upon me.

case in point was a earlier post made in here
edit on 15-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You do realise that the Islamic terrorists are the Evangelical Red Necks of the Middle-East don't you?

Arabs have been part of America since 1860, get with the times.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

I agree with you, but also recognize that families have traditions and that schools need to respect them. I would give every student 5 days for personal holidays, the same way some folks get personal days where they work. They can use them when they like, teachers would not schedule exams on any of the major days and it would be the responsibility of the kid to make up the work they missed with no additional assistance from the school/teacher.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

funny i have never seen you make any distinction when it comes to anything christian......your comment clearly lumped them all as........"fake christians that would make jesus cry.."

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The distinction is Fake vs. Real

Fake: Anyone who supports war, hate, xenophobia, racism, 2 dimensional thought etc
Real: Anyone who supports cooperation, love, inclusiveness, harmony, wisdom etc

My comment makes perfect sense.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

"Fake: Anyone who supports war, hate, xenophobia, racism, 2 dimensional thought etc "...sounds like an islamic jihadist to me.............makes perfect sense................

so only crhistains are fake? there are no fake islamic jihadists?

and :
"Real: Anyone who supports cooperation, love, inclusiveness, harmony, wisdom etc " attributes that those jihadists dont have....................................

makes perfect sense

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Since when did a school having a day off on an Islamic holiday equate to Jihad?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Muslims complain....liberals bend over.

Simple

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
reply to post by neo96

You do realise that the Islamic terrorists are the Evangelical Red Necks of the Middle-East don't you?

Arabs have been part of America since 1860, get with the times.

you brought this up.............you not me............

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Holy Crap! Muslims have holy days, now?!?

What next, are they gonna steal christmas from the TRUE CHRISTIAN GOD now?

seriously, the anti-muslim HATE and IGNORANCE on th forums is snipping pitiful.

'Deny ignorance', my ass. It should be embrace and cultivate ignorance' with threads like this.
edit on 15-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Originally posted by neo96

no man no.........................from my perspective all are equal noone above the other but in this world we live in today there is one and others that are considerably looked down upon and there is one that is clearly above reproach..................thats all i am saying i do not seek to push my beliefs on anyone and i dont want someone elses beliefs pushed upon me.

case in point was a earlier post made in here

nice try pick and choose but never read the following comment meh

top topics

<<   2 >>

join