It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas Earthquake Activity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Earthquake just hit in Oklahoma

Just as I was looking for more infor on the New Madrid Fault Line Fox News reports an earthquale in Oklahoma
edit on 13-10-2010 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearShapedCharge
I used to live in Rose Bud Arkansas. I remember when the gas companies came in in around 2006 I believe; one thing that struck me odd was how often lightning would strike the ground after they started drilling. Over the course of a month we had three trees explode due to lightning strike. Another bolt even struck our house, Then recently I heard about the tremors. I think it is very plausible that pumping out enough gas from the ground can cause the earth to become charged; as well as cause earthquakes when releaving pressure from the gas wells. Maybe is project HAARP or something. I don't really know. But could it be a possiblilty?

This is probably the most important post on the entire thread.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by amadeus30

Originally posted by trekwebmaster
The new fault in Northwest Arkansas is a very interesting geological situation to say the least; but why so far west? I have noticed a sharp increase in earthquake activity here in Central Arkansas; I am located about 3 miles of this week's quake along with hundreds of new natural gas wells that have been drilled here in the last year.

Could this be a symptom of "Frac'ing" techniques or settling of the earth along the fault? One does have to wonder where the rocks go when all of the gas (pressurized shock absorbers) is removed. But the amount of oil / gas wells being put up here is amazing. It has turned this little country place into a major route for all kinds of big trucks hauling equipment. Small two-lane highways are just a little small for all that traffic, but good for local economies.

On the converse, wildlife is being affected as thier habitat is destroyed; affecting migration patterns and adding environmental pressures. Public safety is a concern when the deer are such a concern that they cause accidents and endanger people on the highways. I see signs here that say "Seismic Crew" all over the place; this area is having cluster mini-tremors. It's very interesting but worries exist how all of this might affect the New Madrid Fault; if that goes-off Eastern Arkansas will be all but devastated and the natural gas pipelines all over the area, I hope, are strong enough to withstand it.

National Geographic Source Article

Seismicity Map of Arkansas 1990-2006
Source: USGS

edit on 13-10-2010 by trekwebmaster because: Additional Information and Link

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I think they are pulling so much natural gas out of the ground it's like removing the shocks on your car...the ground goes boom...now where did they think all that rock would go? I hope no one up here still has a well for water...it'll be toast after the hydaulic frac'ing going on.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Fluid Dynamics.

Moving gas has intramolecular and intermolecular forces and friction. It does indeed create a charge. The turbulent clouds in a thunderstorm also have fluid dynamics and static charge, and it "discharges" to the ground.

Makes perfect sense that lightning strikes would increase in an area of moving gasses.

It is an important observation, and easily explained, but still important!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

More like removing the air from your tires.

These gas pockets are pressurized just like the air in your tire pressurizes it. The car rides on that air pressure and if someone puts a hole in the tire, the air pressure leaves and the weight of the car flattens the tire. Same-same.

I think the oil and gas companies often back fill the reservoirs with water or something, but I am sure that comes with its own unforeseen consequences.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Thanks for all the posts and great info guys.

Apparently the oklahoma quake has been upgraded to a 5.1, the second strongest in Oklahoma history

Source
Source

The following link is very interesting as it points out all the natural gas drilling going on, just like around the area here in Arkansas thats been rumbling as of late.

Source
edi t on 13-10-2010 by amadeus30 because: added source

Just found this video of the quake on youtube,

edit on 13-10-2010 by amadeus30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This is very interesting. As I began reading this thread my immediate thoughts were that this series of earthquakes in Arkansas could be attributed to the New Madrid Fault. As far I understand the fault line runs just a bit south of Memphis Tennessee. Looking at the info of activity, most quakes seem to be just a couple miles South-Southeast of Guy Arkansas. That would be approximately 125 miles West-Northwest of Memphis.

Now the quake in Oklahoma is odd. Immediately I though back to another series of videos I watched quite some time ago. Does anyone remember a video on Youtube about Post Glacial Rebound? The name of the video channel was believersunderground if I remember correctly. This guy has been saying we would see quakes in the midwest due to Post Glacial Rebound. His last prediction I believe was for Wichita Kansas, which is very near to the Oklahoma Boarder.

I am not saying that guy is right, but this is certainly very interesting.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Nothing to worry with here folks! Whats causing these small quakes is a practice called hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking," in which water is injected into the ground at high pressure to fracture rock and release natural gas trapped within it. Its being caused by the natural gas drilling. Trust me on this, I'm smart lolz.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join