It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am extremely discouraged.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I can not get a job.

Let me explain.

I worked for the same college that I was attending. When I graduated, I was forced to resign as my job there was a form of government aid (work study). I quickly needed a job as I have bills to pay so I began looking weeks before I even had to resign.

Graduating with a degree in Graphic Design, I compiled a list of all the printers within a 50 mile radius. Getting a job with a printer is a good way to later break into the graphic design field. There were 12 printers on the list. I called them all. 10 of them were not hiring anyone. 2 forever closed. I decided I would have to look elsewhere.

I got an interview at Staples during my first week of unemployment. I was granted another interview after that. They did not call me for my third interview. I continued on...

I took a step down lower, and applied for a job in the electronics department at Meijer's. (department store). The interviewer and I kicked it off and she seemed to really enjoy my presence. I was granted a 2nd interview and came back in. Once again we were talking and laughing, she thought I was perfect for the position because of my graphic design degree and my general interest in electronics. I was able to tell them the size of all harddrives and thumb drives that they sold including brands and the upsides and downsides of each. I told them I built my computer from parts. If it comes to technology, I know how to fix it / install it / build it. I have always been that way. They were greatly impressed and gave me tips for the third interview because it would be a new interviewer that time. They both let me know that the interview went "extremely well" and that the position was perfect for me. They said I would get a call by tuesday letting me know if I get the third interview or not. She said she doubts I would have any problem getting it. Before I left I asked "Should I call and check or will she call me?" and they informed me once again that she would call me. Tuesday rolls around and no call. 2 weeks go by... no call. that was about a month ago.

Then I take a step lower and apply at this pizza place down the road from my house. I get an interview and go in. We hit it off. I come back in and we order my shirts and we discuss my future schedule. The next morning she calls me and sadly informs me that having a degree "overqualified me". She said the system will not let her hire me because it fears that they would train me and I would then leave for a better job. Sigh.

I seen a position in the newspaper for this nice establishment. They were looking for an operator. I was the sole operator for the entire college campus that I worked at. I worked there in the same position for nearly 2 years. I sat down and wrote a nice cover letter detailing my responsibilities at the college which sounded exactly like what they were looking for. They requested operator experience, and I had 2 years under my belt. I finished up the cover letter and attached my resume printed on a fine cloth resume paper. Since I am a graphic designer, I was able to make it look extremely nice. I put it inside an accompanying printed resume envelope and sent it off - a month ago. No interview, no calls.

I have put out over 40 resumes / applications. I can only sit here and watch as my remaining funds dwindle down to nothing. Its one of the worst feelings I've ever felt in my life. Next month I will most likely be turning off my cell phone and the month after that my internet. I have already sold my instruments, old cell phones, another car I had, and a couple broken laptops I had laying around that I found in a dumpster and repaired.

I honestly don't know where to turn. I already had to delay continuing my education until fall 2011 because I cannot get a job to save up for college. (I plan on going back to college to get a bachelors) People usually tell me to move elsewhere to find a job but that requires money. I can't even really apply anywhere far because the first thing they do is throw out applications that are out of town.

I guess I don't really know why I am posting. If anyone has any advice It would be much appreciated.

My design website is located here:
www.drewjaniszyn.com
I will continue to practice designing and uploading work until I have to turn off my internet.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Hi I'm sorry to hear this for you, but haven't you thought about moving to another town, city or maybe even another state ?

One more thing.... Have responded and/or looked for jobs where you actually got a degree for.

Good luck and keep your head up

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I can not really offer any help....but I wanted to say that I looked at your work and you are very talented!

I wish you lots of luck!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Hi I'm sorry to hear this for you, but haven't you thought about moving to another town, city or maybe even another state ?

One more thing.... Have responded and/or looked for jobs where you actually got a degree for.

Good luck and keep your head up

hehe, I would love to move to another town but with less than a hundred dollars left to my name its just impossible for me. :\

Every graphic design opening I see requires past experience in a graphic design environment and or web design experience (which is why I want to go back to school as I am not comfortable with my current level of knowledge with web design)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I can not really offer any help....but I wanted to say that I looked at your work and you are very talented!

I wish you lots of luck!!!!

Thank you so much!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Hey! I read your story and I do think it's a shame, but considering the condition of the economy, it's expected that job openings are in a shortcoming. =[ I also do graphic arts, but I mainly focus on 3d/CGI and composition among other things; I'm self-taught, but plan on going to school this Spring just to get a degree. I checked out your portfolio and it looks great.. I never got into that type of graphic style, but your logo designs looks clean, modern, and professional. I feel graphic designers may be in abundance perhaps, which may also be reason for the lack of jobs. I'm currently staying with my parents till I go back to school so I'm not exactly in a financial rut at the moment. I wish you the best of luck, you deserve that and more. =]

Do you happen to have a deviantart account or such? Feel free to add me if so RaelsatuDeviantArt

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

Have you ever thought of possibly fudging the numbers?

Ok hear me out. I am sure that more than 50% of applicants add exaggerations on their resumes. If truly truly needed, I guess you can do some side work, and count that as experience. And if the time comes and you get hired, as long as you do well, their shouldn't be a problem with keeping the job.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Stop looking for a job and have a employment agency look for you.

Most companies do not even post job openings any more they use temp agencies to find them help.

Go to Manpower or one of the other temporary employment agencies and sign up through them.

I know Indiana is going through some tough economic times,being from there and having family still living there.

Don't depend on classifieds and Craigslist for help finding a job.

Find the nearest temp agency and use them to find you a job.

Good luck you do have talent young man,just coming to adulthood at the wrong time,sadly.

You could always try the military,if you need a job.

Just a thought.

Don't give up hope,just think outside the box.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Sorry to hear it bro.
You are very talented indeed!
Great stuff man.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Ok hear me out. I am sure that more than 50% of applicants add exaggerations on their resumes. If truly truly needed, I guess you can do some side work, and count that as experience. And if the time comes and you get hired, as long as you do well, their shouldn't be a problem with keeping the job.

that is correct.
In accounting it is called 'being creative'...so be creative !

Don't lose heart or your confidence...one door closes another opens and if you don't get a job...then there is a better one for you around the corner. Don't stop believing that!!

x

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

Have you ever thought of possibly fudging the numbers?

Peace, NRE.

Along with this thought, drop your degree from your resume/application when applying for the jobs at pizza places or department stores...it is probably hurting your chances.

You can put down that you attended college...but don't put that you have completed your degree yet...there is no way they would know if you have or not.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

If you can, as a way to cut your expenses, move back with your parents and start using the net and go to sites were all the graphic designers go to put there work or just mingle...see if there are any projects that they know about that anybody is starting were they could use your talent's, or even any group that wants to start a project for any reason....And just do what you would normally do when you cut your expenses, send out resume's and just keep an eye out for now hiring signs, though ill say this now a days even more then before, if you don't know someone in whatever your trying to get a job at then chances aren't looking good. And ya the whole experience thing is messed up, how are you supposed to get experience when everybody is only looking for people who have experience already, so # it just fudge the numbers everybody does it...I would also say forget school if the only thing they offer is knowledge, if there are no programs in place to get your foot in the door in whatever your after, then might as well save your $ and do it yourself from home.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Look Dude, to be "extremely disappointed" is to have a child born severely handicapped, or your wife come down with cervical cancer, or you work for 3,340 hours and don't get paid for any of those hours. So, you need to readjust your perception. You are just in the dumps a bit. You have a challenge to undertake. Think of it as an exciting time because you're young, talented and you know you have value. Don't pigeon-hole yourself to being a graphic designer - you're a whole lot more than that - you are a thinker who can manipulate symbols and text. Being a graphic designer should be a tiny fraction of what you actually do for a living. It should be merely one component part of it. Don't rely on anyone else for a job - you should become the boss and people should work for you. You have something valuable to sell - you market things - so take something to market! Use the web. Contact a company that is trying to promote something and introduce yourself to the vice-president of sales. Cut a deal where you use your marketing skills (graphic design included) to help them sell, and take a cut of the profits. Don't ever think that you're depressed just because of your circumstances. We all make our own circumstances and others' are not responsible for our happiness. You are responsible for your own happiness and success and you can easily have both. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
In addition to the comments offered so far, I would suggest going back to school. Work on an advanced degree in another field that compliments your current degree. For instance, design + MBA as an example To be frank: you need to broaden your scope (not lower your standards) to land a job in this economy. The more you limit yourself to a specialized degree/career field, the less likely you will be successful in getting hired straight out of school. Many programs can be taken online, part time or at night, if you need to work. But, you have graduated in a downturn economy and you need to be more flexible, more creative, more industrious and more practical (for now) if you plan to work. That's just my take on this, of course, do as you feel best for you.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Try this website:

www.creativeheads.net...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You're too honest.

Tell your prospective employer only what you would like them to know, not everything about you.

Is it necessary to tell a pizza place that you have a degree?

No.

Is it a deal-breaker?

Obviously not, so DON'T TELL THEM.

Think outside the box.

It sounds like you're too Anglo-Saxon and clever for most globalist employers...you're not ticking any disadvantaged boxes.

Pass yourself off as a 3rd world immigrant.

Job guaranteed.

new topics

top topics

join