It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Postpones Teach-Through-Rap Program That Refers to Founding Fathers as 'Old Dead White Men

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Oklahoma Postpones Teach-Through-Rap Program That Refers to Founding Fathers as 'Old Dead White Men'

www.foxnews.com

The program, known as Flocabulary, is an educational tool that uses rap and hip-hop music to help students learn and memorize basic principles of vocabulary, reading, writing, social studies, math and science.
One particularly controversial song entitled "Old Dead White Men,"describes President James Monroe's presidential term by saying: "White men getting richer than Enron. They stepping on Indians, women and blacks. Era of Good Feeling doesn't come with the facts."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Look, I'm all for new methods in making teaching a more enjoyable process for some who may need it, but this seems a little bit ridiculous.

So, if your child came home rapping about "dead white men" etc...how would you feel?

Not to mention that federal funding is spent on this.

I honestly cannot wrap my head around our educational system anymore...

Maybe if someone put it into a rap song for me?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Have no fear, it'll be back after the elections are over.
Just another example of racial inequality in America any more.
If this happened in reverse, we'd have the big 3 Obama, Sharpton, and Jackson on the news for the next 2 years proclaiming how racist the educational system is. Ah well, nothing to see here the double standard continues. The further dumbing down of America, if the little kids can't learn without rap that denegrates everyone but them, it speaks volumes.
edit on 7-10-2010 by adifferentbreed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
We really are starting to go backwards huh? Maybe, it would work if old white men weren't writing the lyrics.

Get Eminem, Lil Wayne, Jayz and Kanye on da remix yo!

Who'd wanna skip class when you get to listen to Eminem and 'Ye spit about the civil war?
Real students...?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Disgusting.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Word.

I think using song as an educational tool is a sound concept, but man...some of those lyrics be whack yo.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yeah, songs for learning can be a sound concept.

Anyone remember this?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Oh yeah, I remember those, I just dont remeber them having racist black seperatist lyrics. Song can be useful, however using songs such as this is ridiculous, and as stated before result in the dumbing down of students even further.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'd have no problem with the racist connotations targeting white people as long as it was balanced with lines about guys like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Junior, calling them "old dead black men" or some such.

top topics

join