It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds (Updated Opening Post: 2016)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I took my flaming background off after reading the new rules, it was a moving background, the flames were roaring, I needed to do that right? I will miss those beautiful sparkling waters and star backgrounds though...

Yeah I can understand
Im sure though you can find or make something just as nice
Or find one of the great artist here to make something up

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

OMgoodness!!! You too? I love your avatars, we do love to add those little sparkle and shine elements though don't we? I guess we are just aviedazzaling and love to shine. I love those moving water and candle flame avatars, always wanted to get some serious help to make something really special.

It was only by accident I discovered the new rules, the other day when the site was read only, I figured what they hey I'll read that thread...

Anyway nice talking with you.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I love your avatar! We must figure out a way to make it work...

Who made it for you? I bet whomever it was would resize it correctly?

ETA:
Or let me know, I will give it a shot - I think it's rather fun to play with them. *I'm not really that good though, hence the new avatar myself. I couldn't make the old one work. Lol.
edit on 8-10-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I know I am just so bad to work with, I love so many things and feel like an avie that is really well done needs to represent parts of my self, we cant touch and see one another, so our avies are like an extension of ourselves.

Did you ever hear that Johnny Cash song about him working back in the 50's at a car manufacturing plant and so he decides the big company wont miss if he just takes it all one piece at a time to build his dream car. Well he does that but by the time the car is complete so many years had passed that the car was one of a kind alright, it is a HOOT!

Well thats how my real avie would really have to look...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well that's a generous offer, thanks! John Q made all three of mine, so he is currently working on new one for me, so I'm looking forward to seeing it. I notice his mood lately says "avatar hell", lol. So it might be slow going.

@Antar:

Johnny Cash,huh? Wonder if you could pull that off? Hmmm. I"m thinking Bob Dylan, or Van Morrison for myself.
Wait! Taj Mahal. ♥

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

why does yours repeat, and mine does not?

edit to add:

thought i would type a little more

let the screen get a little longer, so you can see that my avatar does not repeat.

i will keep typing until it is long enough to display what i am talking about, since SO has been making lots of little changes along the way. and i don't want to look crazy.

well, i think that is about as far as i need to go.

maybe just one more line.

edit on 8-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well, because it's not really an avatar. It's a background. I think backgrounds are no more, but not sure.
I just hope we won't get down to those little postage-stamp sized avys. John Q figures all those things out for me, because I am apparently unable to, even after watching the vids. It's the uploading. I can't upload. Clueless.

But texan, (I just can't call you bigfatfurry, it wouldn't seem right), let me volunteer John Q to answer questions about it. He can do all those things. lol.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

The avatars will not be postage size, kinglizard did mine last week and if you look it's not so small, you might ask kinglizard to fix yours so it's the right size..

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
double
edit on 8-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Well, because it's not really an avatar. It's a background. I think backgrounds are no more, but not sure.
I just hope we won't get down to those little postage-stamp sized avys. John Q figures all those things out for me, because I am apparently unable to, even after watching the vids. It's the uploading. I can't upload. Clueless.

But texan, (I just can't call you bigfatfurry, it wouldn't seem right), let me volunteer John Q to answer questions about it. He can do all those things. lol.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

mine is a background as well. set to 190X450.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
@Aquarius1
Not to be too much of a stickler here: but we are all using backgrounds right now (BFT, me, ladyinwaiting, you, etc.) remember that the *avatar is the 170x240 clear gif image and the *background is the artwork. If one did not want to use the *background than the *avatar would be on a scale of 170/240. It's really tiny. Lol. That's the reason I had to switch to a *background image instead.

ETA: and I love your new background image, too!

And @BFT
the reason your avatar isn't repeating is because you are using the 170/240 gif and your backround is the new dimension requirements, while LIW is still using the old dimensions and the system is registering it wonky now.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I noticed your new avatar and it is absolutely gorgeous, I love it.
I guess I do need to be resized. But I'm just, I think, going to let it be truncated, and then wait for a new one.
Someday, I'm going to figure this out so I change avys as often as LS and Antar!!!!

I just love a new dress..........lol.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

So, if I just put the new dimensions in the space, it would change it? Or...would I have to change it and upload it?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

So, if I just put the new dimensions in the space, it would change it? Or...would I have to change it and upload it?

Sorry but kinglizard did it for me, I tried but it didn't work...I haven't figured it out yet, so if I want to change it down the line I will have to learn or let kinglizard do it for me..he actually found the image and tweaked it so I didn't upload it. You may try resizing yours.
edit on 8-10-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

If you used the new .gif avatar (the 170/240) it would change the look dramatically. *However, the background image (don't know what size it is) may still need to be altered some. Mine is 190x440 and you can see where it automatically cuts off. But - try using the new .gif just for fun and see what happens!

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Same here @the somebody else doing it.

I hope my wonkiness isn't driving everybody nuts. It'll be over soon.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

nothing here

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It's just as well. lol. The minute you said upload to the media page I was stumped. Holyavatars, LS.
I don't have a media page. Anyway, I do appreciate the suggestions. I'll get my act together on this some day.
Surely. One would think. Eventually. I liked you halloween pict, but this is nice also. Really nice -- all of them.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
@LIW

I'm putting the Halloween image back up for the month, I just wanted to see if I liked the new one (trial run) I think I will keep it. Searching for new images is a pain...

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

One thing you could try is to use this link in the "avatar" space:
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e491ab30577.png

That's the invisible avatar that greeneyedleo is using. It's a bit longer than the new dimensions (which I think would result in cutting off a lot of the bottom of your avatar) but it might be short enough to keep your background image from starting to repeat.
edit on 10/8/2010 by americandingbat because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join