It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Summer is Turned into Winter Accross Parts of the UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
A freak storm in the UK has ripped off roof off, uprooted trees, flooded roads and lower the temperature accross parts of the UK, bringing to these places a winter cold snap. Summer is expected to return on Friday.

June storms blow summer away

Windows were also smashed in Swansea, trees pulled up and walls blown down. Part of the roof of the city's Mothercare World also came off.

Wind speeds reached 61mph on Mumbles, and Irish Ferries cancelled its Swift services on Wednesday between Holyhead and Dublin.

Summer is due to reappear on Friday, when it will be dry and temperatures rising to between 19 - 22C.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Unusual weather patterns seem to be rising around the globe. While some places are being hit with unusual cold and humid fronts, there are others that are being hit by the worse droughts in 500 years. (See below links)

Related News

Urgent action call on US climate

Dozens missing after strong winds capsize Chinese boat

Winter chill bites in southern Qld

Western Qld endures cold snap

Western drought worst in 500 years

[edit on 25-6-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[edit on 6-25-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
How about on Monday or Tuesday I think there was a report of softball size hail in Texas somewhere.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Correction Baseball sized, anyway ODD

Meanwhile on the west coast in California it has been unseasonably mild, with deep overcast skys and some drizzle in the am. Temp's have stayed in the high 70's for the most part this month, except a day or two of hihg temp 85+. In fact the last time it was cold, winter cold was about 5 years ago. Two years ago in January California had a blazing heat wave. I think 1/6 or around 1/9 2003 the Temp in Southern California was 95+f in most parts of the region.

So it is not shocking now, being summer, that we are getting "winter like" weather.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by robertfenix]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
See the other links that i posted, and btw, the link you gave was another of my submissions.

Unusual weather has picked up in different parts of the world. In Queensland temps have been colder than usual, and from one night to the next there was an 11 degree drop in temp. The temps there have fallen well below the June temperatures, and this is not the only place either. Some people are still downplaying these reports for some strange reason. Right here in south Florida we are having a very hot summer more so than usual. For the past several days we had brownouts more than usual. We used to have perhaps one once a week some years back, but latetly we have had 3-4 a day, sometimes happening twice or thrice a week and at times we wake up with no power. It seems that people are putting their ACs to the max, and summer has just started down here.

I don't remember this happening so frequently in the past 15 years, and talking with my uncle who has lived in the States for over 25 years and lived in Texas, he is claiming that this summer is the hottest he has witnessed so far.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
the government has warned us about this weather...

didn't you see the movie,

The Day After Tomorrow ?

Just wait, there's more to come.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The Day After Tomorrow is a good movie, and the science behind the movie is very accurate, but i doubt we will see those kinds of changes any time soon. We will experience more unusual weather and they will become more and more dangerous, but not to the level that are portrayed on the movie, for at least some time.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Personal weather observations -- I live in central Maine, and we have some fairly typical seasonal weather patterns. This past year or so I have noticed things not going according to their usual habits. The storms last fall were consistently coming from the front of my house rather than from the back, we always would watch storms approaching from the back porch, but not last fall. The spring rains seemed more like winter rains (I know, it's vague, but that's the way it seemed to me), and we have had some INCREDIBLE downpours, unlike any I have seen here before. It seems to be getting colder overnights than is normal for this time of year, too. Just observations of one guy, but the differences have been enough for me to notice right along, not something I just realized. Anyone else notice this kind of stuff?

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Yes, in Miami/Hialeah, south Florida the problem is mostly that lately is a lot more humid, which makes the heat feel a lot worse. We are getting more brownouts due to people using ACs more than usual. The power outages are getting more frequent down here and there are weeks where we wake up once or twice a week with no power at all.

KillerD updated a report on a storm which happened in Amarillo Texas on Monday. Here is the link where i also reported this.

[edit on 25-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
West drought could be worst in 500 years

The Associated Press
Updated: 1:34 p.m. ET June 18, 2004

LAS VEGAS - The drought gripping the West could be the biggest in 500 years, with effects in the Colorado River basin considerably worse than during the Dust Bowl years, according to scientists at the U.S. Geological Survey.

�That we can now say with confidence,� said Robert Webb, lead author of a background paper released Thursday. �Now I�m completely convinced.�

On Friday, the U.S. Climatic Data Center added its voice, saying that 67 percent of the western United States was in moderate to extreme drought at the end of this spring.

The Colorado River in particular has been in a drought for the entire decade, cutting an important source of water for millions of people across the West, including Southern California.

Read more at msnbc.msn.com...

Something is definitely wrong with the world.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
ya, I made a report on that one too. It does seem like we are in for some rough weather some more in the not so distant future.

These are some links to threads which are also relevant to this issue.

What I can't find is my report on the drought in the midwest, its somewhere in the forums.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Thanks for the links, Muaddib. Interesting.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
in rosyth naval yard HMS illustruis broke its bow ropes and swung out in the harbour. Luckilly nothing happened but the winds were strong enough to break doubled up lines.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
soft ball sized hail in texas is common because thats where tornados happen its not that big of a deal. hails like that is common in tornadic thunderstorms. believe me i live in nebraska, and its like a monthly thing during the summer, we'll have like a really bad week of thunderstorms and some tornados and stuff, its really quiet fun actually. but hail that size is common in the plains of the US during tornadic thunder storms. its normal.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Softball size hail common? do you know how big a softball is? I think you mistook softball size for baseball size. Anyways, is it that common the amount of damage the last one in Amarillo Texas caused? and there were bigger size hail stones that fell on Amarillo.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I can report, with absolute certainty, that, at least in Phoenix, Arizona, it's weather as usual. High of 110. A Dabu yesterday and the monsoon is on its way.
Although, monsoon season IS a little early this year.
Don't you wish you lived in Phoenix with all this scorching heat????

joey

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
As the gulf stream flow continues to slow down until it eventually shuts down I expect to see more and more strange weather. I saw the movie The Day after Tomorrow but I'm certainly not expecting any super storms and humongus tidal waves like they had in the movie. I'm just happy that the 105 heat index in South Carolina changed to upper 80's to around 90 heat index. The humidity has been awful here on most days. That's not really unusual but it is very uncomfortable. I expect this talk will really heat up when the northern states have frost during the summertime. I'm not sure if that will happen this year though.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Muaddib said:
"Unusual weather patterns seem to be rising around the globe. While some places are being hit with unusual cold and humid fronts, there are others that are being hit by the worse droughts in 500 years."

If an event has happened in the past, why would it be considered to be "unusual" for it to occur again? Our climate is affected by the interaction of numerous cyclic events of terrestrial and extra-terrestrial origin. These cycles have differing as well as varying time spans and on some occasions, they overlap providing a combined effect or sometimes, a null effect depending on the nature of the events overlapping. Extra-terrestrial influenced cycles that can affect climate include such events as sunspots, solar irradiance, lunar position and variations of the earth's solar orbit as influenced by the sun and other gravitational bodies. Terrestrial cycles that can influence climate include rotational axis shift, at least nine major oceanic oscillations, volcanic activity and oceanic current changes due to tectonic plate movement. Of course, this list is not all inclusive.

The point here is that many climate events can occur multiple times over large spans of time.
Since we don't recall them happening within our relatively short collective human memory, we have a knee-jerk reaction to declare that something must be wrong. "Unusual" is a relative term. And if that term relates to earth's climate history in whole, it's easily misleading. A classic example of the distortion of human history perception was made when Muaddib says:

"I don't remember this happening so frequently in the past 15 years, and talking with my uncle who has lived in the States for over 25 years and lived in Texas, he is claiming that this summer is the hottest he has witnessed so far."

Short periods of 15 or 25 years hardly provide a reliable sense of history especially when describing earth's climate. Then there is also the factor of one's relative perspective which can influence an observation... in other words: If someone grew up in Hawaii and then moved to Chicago during a spell of mild winters, a sudden cold winter might seem "unusual".

Climate change is the real constant. Climate itself is not.

Muaddib also said:
"The Day After Tomorrow is a good movie, and the science behind the movie is very accurate.."

Numerous climatologists, oceanographers and physicists say that the "science" behind that movie is bull excrement. Even a basic knowledge of atmospheric and oceanic heat distribution destroys the fiction in that science-fiction movie.

While some ocean currents may change course, slow, grow or pause altogether for various reasons, warm equatorial waters and atmospheric air currents will continue to flow towards the poles and then cycle back. The equator to pole heat distribution cycle (or "heat pump cycle") can only be stopped if equal heating OR equal cooling were imposed on the entire surface of the earth from pole to pole. The earth's rotation is another main factor, but if that suddenly stopped, we would be in much bigger trouble than just climatic change.

As long as there is; (1) a temperature differential between the equator and the poles AND (2) gravity AND (3) an atmosphere AND (4) rotation of the earth, there will be an equator to pole distribution cycle.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Outland]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:55 AM
link   
When was the last time you saw a media report about somewhere experiencing average, or normal, weather?

In the meteorological world (I run a meteorlogical forum) the jury's still out on whether we are experiencing more 'unusual' weather, or whether we're just more aware of such things nowadays.

Last week's UK storm was unusual* only compared with public expections of summer = continuously hot & sunny. Best predictions atm are that this summer will be fairly average, but will be remembered for being cold and wet (even though temperatures will probably still be above average). People have very short memories when it comes to the weather.

*it isn't common to get such a deep depression sweep across the UK in June, but it has nevertheless happened many times before.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I live in the UK and realy the weather isnt that bad, yes we had a day of strong winds and rain but it was still warm, the forcasters were saying that is is like fall weather.The weather was better yesterday, warn and calm, god motorbike riding weather.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
The Day After Tomorrow is a good movie, and the science behind the movie is very accurate, but i doubt we will see those kinds of changes any time soon. We will experience more unusual weather and they will become more and more dangerous, but not to the level that are portrayed on the movie, for at least some time.

All the effects in the film are accurate, but crammed together to make a cool film, the effects seen in the film will take several hundred years to reproduce.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
All the effects in the film are accurate, but crammed together to make a cool film, the effects seen in the film will take several hundred years to reproduce.

Not really, make that a decade or two at the most according to some scientists, and we are already seeing some of the changes. Althou i don't see a wall of water covering Manhattan and other northern states. Only a Tsunamy or an asteroid would produce such a wave. The movie is exagerated, because it is a movie, and most people are not going to stand and watch a "Lord of the Rings" style movie on climate change.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Muaddib]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join