It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama has trouble quoting the Declaration of Independence.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
My last comment on this topic.

If Obama, himself, comes out and acknowledges it as a mistake and an error of omission, I'll accept it. If not, I will continue to see it an an intentional omission and as his belief that those rights are given by the government and may be retracted, by the government.

Until you prove otherwise, I will assume you can't read people minds.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pilgrim1938
Just to clarify things, the document referred to in the speech is the Declaration of Independence, not the constitution. I believe because of the anti-american attitude of the president and his administration that correct quote was intentionally left out of the speech. Why? Because the omitted words do not comply with their thinking.

Yeah. And when Bush botched every speech he ever did, it was because he hates the English language and wanted to subtly tell the world that he hated its correct verb tenses and coherent sentences.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by sheepslayer247

well take a look at any other video and come and tell me that..

obama is agianst some people in this country and he is agianst anyone who doesnt think like him

and he publicly "calls them out" at every chance he gets.

it is a fact that he denounces the right at every turn and to say that he truly is a real representative of every american in this country well he isnt.

last time i looked the president of these united states is suppose to be the president - the representative of every color, race and creed and views in this country and myself and others see this.

the president of this country is suppose to speak for every single person living here and its a fact he doesnt.

The President is a human being and he was voted into office by a majority of citizens who supported him over the other guy. He can't represent everyone's views or he would accomplish nothing. If he never chose one side over the other, then he would not be able to make any decisions.

Should the President be espousing racism in order to speak for everyone under your view of his role?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The president is leader of the country, serving in the highest office, and has many responsiblities. As the head of the executive branch, his duties are to not only to enforce by the law, and be commander and chief of the US armed forces, he should speak with one voice for all of the people of the country.
This current President, the man holding the office,is not stupid. He is well educated, and when he pays attention to what is going on, tends to be well spoken. But there is a time to be a cheerleader and a time to be a leader. Right now he is somewhere between that and has been for the longest time.
Of all of the documents that are among the most revered, and valuable in the United States of America, is the Declaration of Independance and the Constitution of the United States, for different reasons. The Declaration of Independance, was one of the founding documents that helped form this country. The founding fathers after it was written went through and debated over it. Were the founding fathers religious, yes they were, but they understood that religion can not just be the sole reason for seperating from England. But the role of the Declaration was to declare what was considered an illegale action legal, and gave it supporting reasons. It was well known that this document was in short considered treason at the time and all those who signed, were betting that the colonies would win the war against its mother country, or would have been hung at the end of a rope.
What the founding fathers understood and believed was that the very rights of its citizens did not come from the government, that there were some rights that could never be taken away, or else it would lead to tyranny. And they believed, that these rights did not come from any goverment or man, but from divine power and providence, and that which would be consider the natural rights of the majority of men in the country at the time frame.
Now all Presidents have made errors in speech, all of them have made mistakes when speaking, grammer and sentence structure. However it is a very bad faux pas, when the President of a country, misquotes one of the founding documents of that country. It would be like the President of any other country giving a speech and using the opening lines of its founding documents and misquoting it, something that every school age child of that country learns at one time or another. I do not believe this is a mistake, on his part, the body language seems off, and I do believe that the person who is either suppose to be writing the speech, or proof read it, deliberately left that out. If anything when this hits alot of the shows, especially on fox, the public is really going to be up in arms about this.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

If Obama, himself, comes out and acknowledges it as a mistake and an error of omission, I'll accept it. If not, I will continue to see it an an intentional omission and as his belief that those rights are given by the government and may be retracted, by the government.

No they are not given by the Government, nor can they be retracted by the Government. Obama leaving out the 'endowed by their creator' phrase does not negate the concept in the Declaration of Independence, and no thinking person would ever consider that as a consequence.

The entire phrase was a revolutionary concept in the 1700's. The founders were giving voice to an entirely new idea - that Governments exist to ensure the life and liberty of the Governed, not the other way around. By referring to the source of that endowment to 'their creator' they were saying that people have those rights because they exist as human beings and no Government can deny those rights and claim to be just or worthy of the continued support of those people it seeks to govern. Thus, the justification for the Declaration of Independence from such an unjust Government.

The Constitution refines the concept in the Preamble, but it is not attempting to justify the dissolution of previous legal bonds, but defining a system of Government enshrining those principles and ensuring that that Government cannot become the unjust system so recently thrown off.

The Government cannot 'retract' those rights, because they are inalienable; but also the Government cannot suppress them because the Constitution protects them from such suppression by the Government.

The caveat is, of course, that your "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" should not interfere with other people's "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". You cannot falsely shout 'fire' in a theater just because it makes you happy with out expecting others to object to your continued liberty.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Do we even need to go into the "SPEECH HICCUPS" of the Bush administration (and there are quite a few)? Or Clinton? Or Bush Senior? Or Reagan (who spoke of bombing Russia and Aliens)?

They all make mistakes. To make anything bigger is simply unnecessary.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by xiphias
Or maybe whoever wrote the text on the teleprompter purposely left that part out, and he caught it, and was trying to remember the words that were missing, but didn't have enough time to recall them? Maybe the thoughts in his head while he was blinking were: "I can't believe this jackass just edited the Declaration of Independence. He's gonna have hell to pay!"

See how easy it is to spin?

Look, if you're going to derail the thread by using reason and common sense, you have no business being on ATS.

1 star for denying ignorance.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So people are up in arms because he left out one single word? Hell, there ares songs that I've listened to a thousands of times, that when I'm singing out loud, I may forget ONE word.

Forgetting one word, doesn't really bother me. But what does bother me, is when a President wont even try to pronounce a word, or hell, make words up! Were any of you guys that are bashing Obama right now, ever mad when 'ol W would just make up words that aren't even in a dictionary?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by allprowolfy
So before you play this out as something simple. look into the mirror, ask yourself what your profession is and then ask yourself if you had a similiar profession as the president if you would have made the same mistake. Probably not. To put it in laymans terms to you. Would you hire President obama to your college knowing that he cannot even recite the constitution, again probably not as your budget would not be able to afford the telepromters and the men to write the script

I always honestly wonder with posts like this...

Do you honestly believe he made a "mistake"...he did not "misquote" the Declaration of Independance. No words were eroneously inserted or replaced with other words, mispronounced or fumbled. He spoke the words accurately and in their precise order. He omitted text while preserving the meaning of the passage.

He paraphrased

Now here is a honest question...search yourself, and please give me an honest answer. Inside yourself...invest your self-respect, dignity and honor in that honest thinking...

Do you genuinely believe that he couldn't remember the full passage? Or that he simply paraphrased the text for rhetorical flourish, punching those key words while omitting the less neccessary parts?

I am honestly interested in your true and honest answer, because it will inform me as to how we are taught to think politicaly these days.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
For context..Interview [No teleprompters]

Katie Couric: What do you think is the best and worst thing that has ever happened to this country?

Barack Obama: The best thing that ever happened to this country was the founding fathers and the starting premise of America. "We hold these truths as self evident that all men are created equal endowed by our creator with certain unalienable rights, among these, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." That idea just kept pushing throughout centuries, through a civil war, through civil rights, through women's rights. It became the North Star for people, not just in America but around the world.

want to see it in video?

Right here starting at 1:10
www.cbsnews.com...

So I ask again...why with everything going on in the world is the far right focusing on crazy petty things like "para-phrasing"????

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

This reminds me of some nut case liberal attacking any little thing they don't like about the opposing party. Now I'm about as Anti-Obama as it gets, but there is no real argument here. He pauses and blinks. Very common for anyone who performs speeches in front of the blinding lights of the media. However I do believe, that Obama is in fact trying to destroy this country and could care less about the Declaration or the Constitution. Instead of wasting time commentating grammatical errors and speech impediments, we need more people to get involved. Look at the bills he is passing. You don't need to try to turn people against him when he stutters. Show people the real work Obama is doing. It will speak for itself.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by MMPI2
The fact that Barack Obama cannot quote key passages within the Declaration of Independence actually surprises you guys?

1) He believes that the tenets upon which this country was founded are wrong;
2) He does not believe that Americans derive their rights from their maker, but rather obtains them via federal govt. fiat.
3) He was not born in these United States, nor was he raised here.
4) His father, from whom he got his "dreams" was an avowed communist.

Do I have to go on?

What surprises me is that you guys don't yet understand that Barack Obama is a statist dictator, and that he hates basic American principles.

interesting points.

can you provide some back up for them so i can learn more about your fascinating ideas?

Perhaps you could do some of your own research about the topic rather than being asked to be spoon fed by someone else. The information is out there. Get off of the couch and go find it.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElijahWan

Originally posted by MMPI2
The fact that Barack Obama cannot quote key passages within the Declaration of Independence actually surprises you guys?

1) He believes that the tenets upon which this country was founded are wrong;
2) He does not believe that Americans derive their rights from their maker, but rather obtains them via federal govt. fiat.
3) He was not born in these United States, nor was he raised here.
4) His father, from whom he got his "dreams" was an avowed communist.

Do I have to go on?

What surprises me is that you guys don't yet understand that Barack Obama is a statist dictator, and that he hates basic American principles.

SOURCE PLEASE? Posting unsourced information is really frowned on around here......So if you want ANY of us to believe what you're saying....give us some sources buddy.

Well, chief, I guess that what I would recommend is that if you are interested in finding out the origin of a fact, you go research it yourself. Are you really that lazy? Have you been living in a media- and information-free zone for the past 3 years?

Secondly, pal, your attempt to refute the facts I provided by asking for "sources" is about as transparent as it gets. It is a sure sign of a weak thinker. The facts about Barack Obama's fraud have been well-researched and documented.

Thirdly, I frankly don't give a damn if you or anybody else believes these things or not. Do and believe what you want. It does not alter what is real and actual.

edit on 20-9-2010 by MMPI2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Sorry I am laughing way to hard to make a real comment.

But I knew somthing like this would happen.

The way he is blinking makes him look like he has touretts

The president is an idiot!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join