It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has ATS Search Function Lost Some Of It's Ability?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I have seen several posts about a subject that has already been posted, usually within the previous week, but sometimes within the same day. I realize there is always room for improvement amongst members to do a "search" before posting, and I try and drop a friendly reminder to encourage posters to do an ats search, but I have noticed when punching in a topic for search, it either isn't showing up or it is so far down the line of records people miss it.

Perhaps the search feature could utilize a chronological feature.

I don't know, it just seems that the search function doesn't function as well as it used to.
Is it just me?

spec
ETA: I guess the search is a Google thing and perhaps out of ats' hands? Just wondering.....

edit on 15-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: addition

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Just say it is a re post and add a link to the original. No reply ? Hit the alert button.

I did not notice any difference. Currently the search function still is a crappy one.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Hey friend! I suppose you are right and with the members help, doing as you suggested, we can collectively keep the issue in check.

thanks
spec

edit on 15-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: change

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Hey friend! I suppose you are right and with the members help, doing as you suggested, we can collectively keep the issue in check.

thanks
spec

edit on 15-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: change

Its like telling the neighbour that they left the lights on in their car .

Most people appreciate the `heads up` , before they plough into the topic.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
ETA: I guess the search is a Google thing and perhaps out of ats' hands? Just wondering.....
I don't know what Google did to change it, but the Google search doesn't work as well as it used to, and yes that's what ATS uses.

However in spite of the room for improvement in the Google search function, I have followed up on some cases where people said they searched and didn't find the topic, and found they might type in the full title of the article for example. While this might find an exact match, I think entering too many search terms may be the biggest problem. I can often find the threads they missed by entering just one or two search words, instead of the full title.

So my advice is, don't enter too many search terms or you might miss the topic you're searching for, I've seen it happen.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Good analogy and I agree! Thanks for the comment Umbra!

reply to post by Arbitrageur

Okay, it's not just me then, I have tried what you suggested and it seems to make a difference. I was putting in the entire subject name with no success at times, which had me confused. So thanks Arbitageur for your input!

spec

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Please add any additional comments to the ongoing and monitored ATS Issues Thread.

Thanks

Closed.

top topics

join