It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quran burning on again? Pastor says maybe

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Who'd have thought Sarah Palin would be one of the voices of reason?

"Book burning is antithetical to American ideals," she wrote. "People have a constitutional right to burn a Koran if they want to, but doing so is insensitive and an unnecessary provocation -- much like building a mosque at Ground Zero."
Huffington Post

Okay she fell apart at the end with the "ground zero" nonsense, but still, there are people talking about this man like he is some sort of champion of freedom for simply kicking a hornets nest for no good reason.

I find the whole thing funny.
Book burning? Really?

- Yes, some Muslims in a village somewhere will burn flags in response.

- Yes he will get death-threats, fake or real, from some nutters out there.

- Yes, his congregation of 40 will probably go up, because when you add hate to your Bible sermon there is a demographic that laps it up.

- Yes, it could put soldiers in danger, and help recruitment to radical groups go up, as this will be used to show how "evil Americans" feel about Islam.

- Yes, he MAY get an interview on FOX news, his own morning show, or run for Republican office somewhere.

So what was the point of all this then other than attention to this relative unknown and the potential use of his actions by those looking to further their own political agenda?

Sure he has the right to burn a Koran, no one said he didn't or has tried to arrest him for it, but for what purpose when you know it will only be urinating into the eye of someones religious belief?

It can't just be about a Mosque being built in a community center 3-6 blocks from the World Trade Center. There is already a full Mosque even closer.

This just seems like a colossal and hateful waste of time, that will have many droning on about "rights and freedoms" but in the end only serve to enrage a lot of people.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d38e97df561.jpg[/atsimg]

^
My two cents.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Dude. Don't you follow the news?

The guy has NOT done it yet.

Already there are protests, death threats, and burning flags.

Burning a giant statue of Buddha is not the same- but for the record it is these radical Muslims destroying them all over the place.

The REASON it is not the same, is because there are korans everywhere. It isn't unique, particularly artistic, ancient, and it isn't the last one. They are hardly short supply.

edit on 10-9-2010 by hadriana because: needed to capitalize Buddha.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Dude. Don't you follow the news?

The guy has NOT done it yet.

I didn't say he did it.
Even the title of the thread says he hasn't.

I'm (just like everyone else in the world) talking about the fact that he plans to, and may.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
Mr. Mask:

No Balls...I'll call you out.

All it took was a 5 second Google search for the information.
Let's see if you are just like everyone else; All talk, no action.

Address: 5805 NW 37th St Gainesville, FL 32653;
Phone: 352-371-2487;
Fax: 352-371-6511;
Email: [email protected]

BTW, I just checked to see if the phone number was legit. It is indeed. Tends to be busy alot, but I got through after only a few tries.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Acid_Burn2009 because: (no reason given)

Thank you...I'll begin my calls now...lets see if I can get through.

I'm really not afraid to make noise or phone calls to people who are making a fool out of Jesus all the while trying to say he is one of his followers.

I'll report back...

And no, I'm not making this up...I'm gunna call now, but I doubt I'll get a hold of the guy....he is prolly too busy raking in the cash over his little publicity stunt.

Thanks for the number and stuff.

I owe ya!

MM

edit on 10-9-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well, I called...took me about ten times before it rang (busy for a while). But, sadly it rang about 20 times then a computer voice answered and said "answer off" (or maybe "enter off"?).

Anyways...that was attempt one...

I'll continue trying.

Due to state laws, I can not record any conversation without prior permission from the person I am recording, but I will record my side of the convo if it ever happens.

But, I'm guessing this guy isn't all about talking to a lowly sheep of Jesus, and reserves his talk-time for people like Obama now...maybe Oprah...anyone rich or powerful.

Anyone but me...

But I'll keep trying.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana

Burning a giant statue of Buddha is not the same- .

Sure it is.

Is a symbol of disrespect for the religious beliefs of a particular group.
May not have the same reaction, but the gesture is certainly the same.

Protesters burn effigies because they are a symbol of something they reject and hate.

The REASON it is not the same, is because there are korans everywhere. It isn't unique, particularly artistic, ancient, and it isn't the last one. They are hardly short supply.

Why'd the Taliban do it?
They said they were "un-Islamic".

What's the difference here from what this joker has been saying?

Giant Buddha statues 'blown up'

Afghanistan's ruling Taleban have blown up two giant Buddha statues in defiance of international efforts to save them, according to independent reports.

United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan, in Pakistan on a tour of the region, described the Taleban's acts as a disservice to themselves and to Islam. BBC

"True faith elicits respect and you have to respect what is sacred to others"
- Kofi Annan

Wise words.

ALSO: It doesn't matter whether Korans are in short supply or not.
That has to be the weirdest argument yet.

We have a ton of American Flags, yet burning them still sets people off right?

You seem to be missing the point all together, my friend.

The Nazis in the 1930s and 1940s weren't burning books because they saw a lot of them laying around.

Do you believe those instigating the historical act of burning books, from Qin Shi Huang to Senator McCarthy, which took place in various locations all around the world, did so because they weren't in short supply and it was a cold night?

Or was it symbolic?

Here's a hint: It's Symbolic.

- Lee

edit on 10-9-2010 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I find this whole thing fascinating. Not in the fact he's talking about burning the Koran. Most religious books (no matter what the religion) have been burned or otherwise defaced over the years. It is certainly nothing new.

What I find fascinating is how much global hub-bub and outrage a small group of extremists can generate IF they can get sufficient publicity.

Think about it - the whole congregation is just 50 people - and 99.9% of the talking has been from their leader. That is a tiny, tiny group.

Yet - they decide to do something that fits with their extreme views and for whatever reason they get a huge amount of news coverage and it is a global story.

In reality, without the media coverage this would be a non-event.

It has been said, with the right lever a single man can move a mountain. This proves with a right lever a man can shake the world - and that lever is a controversial action coupled with media coverage.

edit on 10-9-2010 by Frogs because: Sometimes me no type 2 gud.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
As I said earlier, it's really a non-issue made important by the media.
The guy was in relative obscurity leading a group of 40 followers and now has a national platform.

All just because he wants to burn some Korans in a pointless act to simply inflame the tensions between Christians and Muslims. While I personally have no attachment to any religious books and try and respect the beliefs of others, I just see this action as being no different than some child throwing himself to the ground, screaming in a tantrum, so people will pay attention to him.

He has a right to be stupid, but why pay so attention to it, and make him into something he isn't?

I don't care if he burns Korans, just don't act like he's doing it to save our Rights.
He's doing it for himself.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
First of all....this guy has no business being on television.

The CORPORATE MEDIA is MAKING THIS GUY.

HE IS NOTHING...HE IS SCUM.

Damnit, there are TONS OF OTHER PROBLEMS GOING ON and this DIP# GETS SPLATTERED ALL OVER TELEVISION.

I'm glad many people see what is happening....most people I work with also think the media should ignore this POS.

I HATE THE CORPORATE MEDIA.

edit on 10-9-2010 by David9176 because: typos

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

I work with a guy who has the same exact "stache" as this preacher.

Why do I bring this up?

It's only coincidence....but this co-worker (who I do not like) said recently, "I would never vote for N******."

I guess creepy bigots like to sport this look...........

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well...there is no getting ahold of this church by phone...its endlessly busy, then eventually you get a ring sound, and then a robot telling you to go away...

Ok...so what's a guy to do? Write a love letter? Accept that he is just a lowly tadpole in a pond of bullfrogs and just give up trying to discuss this with the guy?

Damnit...I always seem to want to talk to some idiot on the TV...and then feel stupid for wanting to talk to some idiot on TV...

Bah...

Anyways...I'm not giving up...I'm going to continue to try and contact this guy and tell him that Jesus would be flipping tables all over his rinky-dink church for what he is pulling here.

I agree with those saying this was created and spread by the media with an agenda...

I disagree with folks who think it is stupid to care about this...but get me correct on this. I think the subject itself is stupid...very stupid...but if you are paying attention you can plainly see that there are people using this to invoke anger on all sides.

My biggest fear is that there will be a false flag attack and it will all be rationalized over this idiot's book burning stunt...

That is honestly what I think is possibly going to happen...

Right now there are millions of Americans seeing this crap and believing it...another 9/11 later, and those people will connect the attack to this and say "yup, they told us this would happen, I knew it!"

Not me...I'll blame those who made this a household discussion. The media is making this the front page news.

50 followers in a church the size of a middle class home, and this guy is being spoken about by my president as if he is someone worthy of putting on TV?

Crazyness...

Anyways...I'm still going to try and contact the guy and tell him just how screwed up it is to be of a church of Jesus all the while throwing stones and spreading hate...

Having the right to do something is fine and dandy...but being the head of a church of Jesus and then panhandling petty hate is another...

He has the right of our country to burn any book he pleases...but this guy saposedly answers to a "higher law", his God's law...and he is spitting all over that.

He can burn Korans all he likes...its nothing compared to urinating on the word of the lord...like he is doing here.

I don't hold him to "American law"...if he was some atheist or something, fine, I'd understand...but he is the head of a church of Jesus...this crap don't fly with the J man!

Boo to him!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I say burn the books, every one of them that is in the U.S.
The Quran is a blasphemous piece of work made by Jealous Arabs who wanted to be equal with Jews and Christians.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Ok, Hitler.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
HELP!I don't care what anyone says, there has got to got to be some kind of subliminal electronic control, Silent Sound Spread Spectrum, HAARP or some other technology feeding this insanity.

This is not just good media manipulation alone.

It's either that or we are the most bored, angry and incredibly obstinant and self centered generation of humans perhaps to ever walk the planet.

We might as all be running around in loin clothes and living in caves, because I really don't see any one side of this argument, any side of this argument, establishing a moral high ground at this point.

Everyone imagines they are right, no one can possibly consider that they are wrong, and thought of compromise? I don't think anyone even knows the meaning of that word any more.

It's insane, and if an argument like this can decimate and take over a place like ATS think what it is doing to people who have no exposure to alternative thinking?

The lunatics have truly taken over the assylum.

Dear President of the Intercalatic Space Federation:

HELP!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I cant help but laugh at this story,

Setting a book on fire? World wide coverage, Set a person on fire, Lucky to make the local paper,

If it wanst for the media blowing this up only his 50 followers would have even knew about it.

Major fail...

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Seems like every time I turn to CNN they say he is going to do it and then he isn't going to do it and then he is - somebody lock this idiot up. I was talking to a friend a little while ago and she received an email saying his daughter in Gemany says he has lost it. She emailed him to not burn the Qurans tomorrow but he didn't reply - I guess he's kinda busy.:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
I say burn the books, every one of them that is in the U.S.
The Quran Bible is a blasphemous piece of work made by Jealous Arabs who wanted to be equal with Jews and Christians Muslims.

FIXED

My point is that we can all manipulate words to fit our own agenda. Derogatory statements that fit one group can easily be turned around to strike back at the original aggressor. Wouldn't it be easier just to afford everyone common courtesy and respect?

edit on 9/10/2010 by ~Vixen~ because: add

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Alright! Flame On! I would sure like to see some filthy Qurans being burned in the morning.

It would be nice to know that Freedom of Expression hasn't died in America because a Cowardly General has made a big stink about it.

If Muslims can intimidate us into being silent, are we really free?

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
This guy is scum of the earth. I wish nobody paid attention to him. If the media didn't give him any, maybe he wouldn't do it since it's an act of seeking some kind of attention.

Please, no more threads like these. The douchebag deserves NO recognition once so ever.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I would like to add that it isn't just a publicity stunt, it apparently is also a form of extortion.

He's not saying he won't burn the Qurans if they don't build the new NY Community Center with the Mosque on one of the floors.

Sadly people still think this is just about "freedom of expression" when his agenda is steadily becoming clear.

- Lee

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join