It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama names a Carp Czar

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Thanks for creating this thread...Star for Eco-Interest!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
They're actually nothing special, ok, maybe I'm spoiled '
' . My mother works for the fish and boat commision too so I get the inside scoops a lot haha. These fish aren't native though, they are stocked in the millions as smolts and they go out into the lake for about 3 years than the come back anywhere from 5 -12 pounds on average. They are usually only silver right when they come in the creeks to spawn than after awhile they look just like your average rainbow trout. We just implemented a lake run brown trout fishery a few years ago too! I'm soo stoked because this year we should have a descent run of those. But, my state spends a lot of money on these fish that you can only fish for on one county (2 if you know your stuff), we put in more smolts than the other states I believe and if these carp invaded the lake in even small numbers, It would get very ugly for the multi million dollar industry of sport fishing up here. We all have our fingers crossed.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Poor quality but it gets the point across.

They're not natural to the habitat, they only eat plankton which means you can't just catch them with a pole, unless you like getting your nose broken by a fish I wouldn't recommend boating the Mississippi.

It's a serious matter to the Great Lakes region, stop assuming it's a waste of money.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Aha, I get it. The Steelhead trout that I attempted were actually Native Rainbows from Washington State, and
Alaska. Their life cycle consists of leaving the streams and rivers once they are old enough. At that point, they
enter the Pacific Ocean and really have the times of their lives literally. They must survive not only other fish,
etc., but seals, otters, killer whales,and The Creator only knows what else. Not to even mention fisherman's
nets and Native American Fish traps, Spears, Fishing , and Nets. At this point, the miraculous survivors return
to the streams and rivers of their birth. This is the time I was allowed to fish for them, and need I mention that I
felt extremely guilty doing so. As I was fully aware that after all the above, the few would make it to Spawn.
It should be mentioned that at this point, these Rainbow Trout gone Ocean Wild, are no longer really interested
in eating. They are interested in one thing, and one thing only. Mating. So the only way to catch them, is to set
up a really obnoxious brightly colored rig. The reason is that being that they are so aggressive , you might
just chance upon retrieval to annoy one enough to strike at your rig. When , and if, that happens! Then your
are truly involved with spirit. Anyway, you guys should stock some Seaforellen Brown Trout. They are very
compatible to deep lakes, and really like to battle. Thanks for sharing too!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I have seen the videos where bow fishermen shoot them in mid air as they jump. Guys with shotguns should be able to do a better job on them. Pull!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I do believe that is a strain of brown trout we are stocking. We actually go our brood stock from lake Ontario, regardless, lake Erie is perfect for them, especially with the invasive gobies, The fish up here love them things
The weird thing about the steelhead up here is they do eat when they enter the streams. They don't all eat but the majority of them do. I like to watch them rooting around for nymphs on the creek bottoms and sometimes if Im lucky I'll catch one sipping midges off the surface. It's friggin awesome. We don't have the seals or the orcas like that up here but we do have the snaggers. '
'

edit on 9-9-2010 by kimish because: edit to add

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

I kike this bit..

"When it comes to the Asian carp threat, we are not in denial. We are not in a go-slow mode. We are in a full attack, full-speed ahead mode. We want to stop this carp from advancing."

How long has Obama been in power and how long has this threat been known??

Funny how everythings a rush come election time...

Thats why I say we should hold yearly elections

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Someone in Texas try to press fish oil from Asian carp to use as biodiesel the engine ran great on it but the smell was like a dead fish that had set in the hot sun for a week.

He wanted to grind up the carp and dry them and press out the oil then sell the fish meal as fertilizer.

The other problem was harvesting the carp from the rivers without harming other fish.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Someone in Texas tried to press fish oil from Asian carp to use as biodiesel, The engine ran great on it but the smell was like a dead fish that had set in the hot sun for a week.

He wanted to grind up the carp and dry them and press out the oil then sell the fish meal as fertilizer.

The other problem was harvesting the carp from the rivers without harming other fish.

edit on 9-9-2010 by ANNED because: miss spelling

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Well, how long have you been buying Chinese JUNK ?

Cheepo's wanted it, well now they got it. Along with Bed Bugs and every other nasty bio warfare subversive
tactic you can think of. When enough isn't enough, well then you get too much.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Singling out Asian Carp and requiring a "czar" to deal with them is nothing less than the racial profiling of these fish compared to other varieties of carp.

I demand that Attorney General Eric Holder look into this as a top priority.

After all, we wouldn't want the to the UN also get involved.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I beg to differ on the gastronomical quality of carp flesh.

Carp is very good to eat, just need the right cooking method.

You can 'plank' them, or 'stank' them.

To plank them, you need to tack the fresh caught carp to a western cedar plank after splitting them down the middle. Then you prop the plank in front of a bed of hardwood coals. After the fish has started to flake with a fork, remove the carp from the plank. Discard the fish, eat the plank.

'Stanking' involves stuffing the carp with fresh horse manure, baking it well, then, after discarding the fish, you eat the horse manure.

Trust me, this is the best way to eat carp. I have tried it other ways, and it sucks.

Both the plank and the horse manure will taste just as good as any carp you will ever eat.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

These fish do pose a detrimental threat to their non native ecosystems which in turn would crush economies. So if it is racism
it is the only kind of racism that is the right kind

edit on 9-9-2010 by kimish because: edited for funny faces

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

These fish do pose a detrimental threat to their non native ecosystems which in turn would crush economies. So if it is racism
it is the only kind of racism that is the right kind

edit on 9-9-2010 by kimish because: edited for funny faces

Guess for some I needed to use the fake [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags.

Sorry for any confusion ...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I wasn't sure if that was sarcasm or not, I thought it was but you never know on ATS!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
So I guess we can see more of this. Taxpayer funded no less.

100,000 pounds of dead fish and:

For the second time, a poisoning operation aimed at eradicating the dreaded Asian carp from Chicago's waterways has turned up nary a carp.
Source

Gotta love experts.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join