It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama names a Carp Czar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Obama names a Carp Czar

President Obama's Council on Environmental Quality announced the selection of John Goss to lead the near $80 million, multi-pronged federal attack against Asian carp.
"This is a serious challenge, a serious threat," Senator Durbin said. "When it comes to the Asian carp threat, we are not in denial. We are not in a go-slow mode. We are in a full attack, full-speed ahead mode. We want to stop this carp from advancing."

This cracks me up! $80 million dollars! I hope the Czar knows how to fish.
Senator Durbin quote has a typo in it. They put the R in the wrong place in "Carp"; should be after the C 

www.chicagobreakingnews.com...

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 8-9-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

$80 million, huh? too bad carp are not considered good eaten.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: edit to remove suggestion concerning opening post which was taken.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

In all fairness I can see this as a good thing. The asian carp is a highly invasive fish that is over running the Mississippi and can be quite dangerous due to its habit to fly out of the water if approached buy a boat.

They spawn in massive numbers along the mississippi so far its been just state and local funding that has held the carp from reaching the great lakes, may be they can get more funding to try and stop this fish.

P.S. they are a lot of fun to shot with a bow

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Actually a lot of the so called Tilapia that are imported for restaurants are carp and they are quite tasty.
2nd line

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Ya I guess it just matters what's in your diet... 80 million dollars to fight a downhill battle... i dunno about this one, looks to me like another great move by our political leaders... lol

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

S&F for the carp R placement.

Yep, now the feds are going to solve the crap, erm I mean carp, problem.

What else are they going to solve? I think they should work next on the sun coming up in the East. I hate that. They should next create a Czar on the East rising sun problem.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The odds are that the asian carp is already in the Great Lakes and the facts are obvious. The Mississippi River is both deep and wide and the concept that we can stop every fish swimming north is something only a politician would waste 80 million dollars on.. The carp were imported and released on purpose, what makes them think they were not released in the Lakes as well? We seem to have invasive alien species nationwide. Whatever happened to U.S. Customs?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Funny, this is way more important than anything ele right now, but we will spend $80 million on this and create another job for a dem flunky. At least we know the carp are gonna be dealt with....now maybe he can get to unimportant stuff like I don't know, jobs, the economy, eh, maybe after the elections.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Lurker Here.....
I am sure there are you can feed alot of unemployed homeless people with 80 million dollars! By the way,love the name Saltheart Foamfollower.Old Covenant books are the best!

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Not good eating, but they make a good plant fertiliser once whizzed up. In Oz you can buy it in the Garden Supply Stores

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

This IS A LOT OF MONEY! Unfortunately, the Damage to the native fish and ecosystem will COST A LOT

MORE if nothing is done. These Asian carp are truly a Biological Weapon. They MUST be eradicated as soon

as possible. To put this into perspective, consider The Zebra Clam, The Asian Longhorn Beetle, The Gypsy Moth,

The Emerald Borer, Dutch Elm Disease, The Japanese Beetle, Kudzu Vine, etc. the list grows longer with each

International Free Trade Moment. Most people are clueless until it trickles OUT of their wallet. At that point of

economic dispersion, the damage is unfortunately irreversible. It should be pointed out that this Will create

Some American jobs on a local level. I am sure the folks in these parts of the U.S. will be happy to have them.

It would be a good Idea to put a bounty on these carp. That way you would really get communal effort. At 2 dollars each, that would be 40 Million Carp. Is there that many to catch? Prices may vary then . The

danger lies in the possibility that these funds will end up in a prolonged "Study". Because you know what happens

then right? Well I'll tell you, the money disappears, and in return the U.S. taxpayer receives a stack of neatly

typed white paper. Sometimes several volumes, inches thick with lots of references.

Then you know What? In the meantime those Asian Carp have multiplied and are now living in your pool.

By the way, to remind us all, this is but a drop in the bucket in proportion

to what was funneled to The Wall Street Black Hole. Don't EVER forget that, because your children wont.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Wildmanimal because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-9-2010 by Wildmanimal because: add in and typo

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by debris765nju

"The Carp were imported and released on purpose" could you please go into further detail on this statement?

I wouldn't be shocked, but it would be nice to know the good old "Who,What,Why Where, When,and How"

journalism of this statement. The criminals at work,,,foreign or domestic. Do tell.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

You know someone is gonna come up with the animal cruelty angle on that.

I am totally against torturing monkeys and all that other twisted experimental crap,

but I do have experience with, and completely understand the cruelty imposed on native species and the ecosystem

at the hand of non native invasive species.

Some will not "get it" until they have to eat Carp, instead of Trout, eat Crow instead of Pheasant, or even eat

Poison Ivy instead of Lettuce.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Jeremy Wade, river monsters. The carp were imported to clean up catfish ponds and subsequently were released or escaped into a "perfect enviroment" and took off from there. There was a segment showing these large carp leaping at the approach of the boat Fish & Wildlife estimated 16,000 per mile. You can still catch the program on animal planet.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by debris765nju

Hey There Debris, thanks for the reply. Common Stupidity then is it? I'll check it out.

Cheers,,,Wildmanimal

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I have to laugh, "carp czar!"
Anyway, I won't eat tilapia fish-poop eating trash fish they are pushing on us because otherwise they would be ground for fetilizer! IMO.
Carp? I tried it. *never again...*
The invasive species are terrible problems all over the world, but I wish he would just start a citizen's anti-carp group, and distribute the 80 million !
I work for under 20 a year, and survive, if if 4000 gulf fishermen did same, we could work for the next year.
just an idea.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

Hey C'est LaVie ! Hope you are well....

Yeah that's why I said 2 dollar a head "bounty" on these fish. At least the investment would
not become completely lost in a "study".

Remain Intent,,,,,Wildmanimal

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I live on Lake Erie and if these carp get in there in big numbers, the economy in my city alone would lose millions of dollars. I live smack dab in the middle of steelhead alley, one of the tribs is in my back yard and I'm not alone when I say I'm worried about these fish. The zebra muscles really didn't make as big of an impact on the fisheries like was originally thought but these fish are proven "home wreckers". They would out compete soo many species of fish for food and there goes the food chain along with a multi million dollar fishery on some of the best walleye, yellow perch, smallmouth bass, and steelhead fishing in the world.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

That's a great Idea and many fisherman in this area support such an Idea. It wouldn't hurt to donate these fish to the local zoo's too. These zoo's are hurting a bit and that would help them out immensely, they could use the money they save from donations for other improvements.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Kimish! You have got to send me a Pix of a Steelhead Rainbow Trout, or a Native Rez Steelhead Rainbow!

I have never caught one. Tried in Washington State AND Alaska, they just Outsmarted me!

If I had My way, not a single Asian Carp would even come close to your Sacred Grounds.

Thanks for Sharing

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join