It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 Updates Thread - #(UPDATE Nov. 10)#

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

View source for me is blank. Opera 10.61.

When I click the recent posts button it just goes to the page--what I mean is it doesn't even show the "Page loading" animation or text..

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by kinglizard
and there is text when I "view source".

What is the text?

Sorry bud it was the 404 page but now it's blank.

Edit: working now, I have the updated page.

[edit on 9/6/2010 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It works now ... thanks!

link   

All good this end SO
I am using Google chrome. I have checked with Safari and Firefox, and the recent posts page works fine

link   
ETA: issue solved

[edit on 7-9-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
It works now ... thanks!

Uh... I didn't do anything... I wish I could say I did... but I didn't.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Will there be anything like the old firehose?

The thing I liked about the old firehoses, like this one;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is that it gave a few sentences from the start of the post.

I really like that feature. The firehose still seems to be there, but it hasn't been updating.

Most of my navigation on the site involves the front page, the firehose, then the recent posts page.

EDIT: Also, I'm not so keen on the column format on the new hose, it means i'm scrolling up and down a couple of times, it doesn't seem the nicest way to work.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by harpsounds]

link   
Indeed...

This particular gremlin has gone away for me as well...

link   

Yay, it works now cool jewels man. Looks nice.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
To be honest, I like the new Recent Posts page.

To those who are working on this project, I would like to say thank you.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seiko
Not specifically saying its all bad, but some people react to contrasts differently. The 40 split might be explained there.

I think maybe I didn't explain the split well enough. In testing, somewhere between 30% and 40% of first time visitors were given the new format for recent posts as "today_new.php" whenever they clicked recent posts. And those visitors clicked on at least two more pages than those visitors who received the old format... and when back to the new recent posts page more often.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
This tells us that, for users with no preconceived expectations about ATS navigation, they were able to find topics that interested them much easier.

So let me get this straight. You have made these changes based upon YOUR INTERPRETATION of what those additional page views mean, and based upon what GUESTS are clicking on? Why in the world would you do that based upon guests, rather what the MEMBERSHIP is doing????

What if that's not what it means at all, and guests are so confused trying to read that lack of color contrast recent posts page that they end up clicking all over the place?

[snip]. The one fricken place I had on the net I really liked is now a fricken cartoon.

Mod Edit - Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
awesome layout on the recent posts thread.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I'm not sure if you want us to point out bugs as we find them at this juncture since you are still working on the implementation ... just noting that the sort by 'flags/posts' feature is at the moment not functional.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

After a brief few moments of working, it's the same problem againg with the recent post page.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Are the forums themselves going to change? (text, forum layouts, etc...)

link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
You have made these changes based upon YOUR INTERPRETATION of what those additional page views mean

Yes... my learned interpretation of, many times in the past, using actual real-world site performance data to influence decisions on web site redesign and deployment projects.

If a user was "confused" their session would show a completely different pattern of usage than what was observed.

link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Same here. I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer...

On a side note, I do like the new look as well, gonna take some getting used too however!

And chamber - I agree with you that the color coded topics are going to be missed.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Seriously?

What good is putting the content up if nobody SEES/READS it? ATS is a conduit for what the membership thinks is important enough to write about to be seen all over the world by MILLIONS, it's NOT a private club of "insiders" talking to themselves.

The great content here is what gets their attention, the community here is what hooks them. If it weren't for VISITORS we'd not have that community. We were ALL "visitors" once.

Change is the only constant, if you're not growing you're dying.

Springer...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I know you're still sorting it all out but I was wondering if the SEARCH function was going to be improved at all? Also, are there going to be any changes to the PUBLIC PROFILE area?

Focusing more on new additions rather than text/colour changes

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join