It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 Updates Thread - #(UPDATE Nov. 10)#

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Just wanted to voice my approval for the new site design. I think it is a good change and makes the overall ATS experience more enjoyable. Good work ATS Staff

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Keep your eyes on the opening post of this thread for the specifics on changes.

I've added the long-ago discussed ability to remove forums from the Recent Posts page. You'll now notice a small red minus sign in parenthesis on the forum/author line for each post... clicking on that will remove that forum from being displayed on the recent posts page.

If you want to see the forums you've removed, simply use the "show removed forums" link next to the "1,2,3,4" page links... this will revert to the option of showing all forums, with a plus sign next to the forums you've removed in the event you'd like to restore it.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
[edit on 7-9-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I can't express how cool I think the work you have done is. It is really impressive, and really appreciated
Awesome Job.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
sorry, the color and font size has to go.

green is not good, kiddygarden size letters is annoying.

still won't stop me from coming here.

sure you are glad to hear that.!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I'm still lost :/

Where do I click to get "Hot Topics" that I used to see listed on the left?

I feel like Im missing it, but Im not sure if it's still here.

And when I click on Read Headlines (In real time) it lists nothing...

Im scared...

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Look to the menu bar and hover over TOPICS, a drop down menu will show the following and more...

LIVE: Real Time Headlines

FULL: Fire-Hose!

NOW: Top Member Picks

NOW: Popular Topics

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeutronAvenger
reply to post by badw0lf

Look to the menu bar and hover over TOPICS, a drop down menu will show the following and more...

LIVE: Real Time Headlines

FULL: Fire-Hose!

NOW: Top Member Picks

NOW: Popular Topics

Ahha. I was using the link further down that has "Read Headlines - Get new topics in real time" which lists nothing. Did not even think to hover over the menu items with the arrow indicating a drop down menu. *kicks self*

Now I know where it is... Crikey, I'm never good with change hehe, but thanks for that ! Appreciate it.

(Theyre watching me, they fixed the mid page link, now it works.. hehe, /forums/live to /live ! Sneaky buggers lol)

(edit 2) - Now I've gt my bearings, I can start to enjoy the new layout properly.. I am impressed to be honest! groovy!!

[edit on 7/9/2010 by badw0lf]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
I find myself just looking at all that white text and feeling lost.

At first... I was feeling the same way also. But as I and the staff used it more and more often, we all eventually discovered it was a better display of the information.

However... since ATS has been dominantly "gray" for so long, a few seem to be having a serious negative reaction to the -- uh -- us of "color" in this regard. I've resurrected an early version that didn't test as well as the green, but still did well. It's a node to the gray origins...

Recent Posts - ATS Gray

I like the design, SO.
I've been expecting a visual upgrade of ATS just like this for quite some time now, since 2009 at least.

I believe the green gradient in the recent page button has been tone down significantly since the original conception, which is to my liking. Between the complete grey and the new green recent post, the grey is easier to the eye. Somehow the green recent page looks a lot brighter including the text. And the blue gradient for BTS recent page is a tad strong at the top.

I'm sort of expecting the overall color to be less grey actually, darker grey or even almost black to give it a more sharper look. But it is indeed a risky design.

Regarding the top menu, I assume you're still going to tweak the green color for the drop down menu. I have a personal request btw, it's about the MyATS button. I prefer it if MyATS is a direct button instead inside the member tools menu. Please give it a consideration. Thank you.

ps: About the text color in recent page and other part of ATS, I'll wait until further changes.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I was just getting it the way I wanted it by blocking all the fugly menus. Today I look at recent posts and I see a wall of slime. I cant make out any text.

Has anyone bothered to check this with the color blind users? It's painful and I have to highlight and strain to see anything.

I'm afraid this will prevent me from coming here. Not because I'm whining about change but I am quite physically incapable of seeing anything on the page but a green slime wall without adjusting my monitors settings which would then interfere with everything else I view.

Maybe when the mobile site comes back I'll be able to read once again.

I only found this thread because it was linked in a thread I had already posted in.

There's an add-on for Firefox called "Styles Tuner." With it you can undo all the garbage that has been done to this site. Once again I can read the recent posts page. Unfortunately I can't see how to save the settings I change so once I close my browser they all go back to a blinding green glow of nonsense. At least it's something.

Better solution, good ol ABP on the grey fade image. Kills the green dead.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
If it's already been posted, apologies in advance - Admittedly, I haven't read through this thread. However:

Can we PLEASE bring back the Front Page (Home) "Newest Threads"? Or perhaps there's a more convenient way to see the newest threads (not most recent post, but newest submitted threads)?

Thanks

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I LOVE the Recent Threads page! It looks so classy compared to the old one. I didn't like all the color coding for the forums, myself. VERY pretty and easy to read.

I HATE the Recent Threads page! It looks so confusing compared to the old one. I loved the colour coding for the forums, myself. VERY ugly and hard to read.

edit: no flag and no star (even if I could).

I will launch a campaign to bring back the old RECENT POSTS. It will be like V for Vendetta.

edit: mm, maybe someone doing a V for vendetta style attack wouldn't make it quite so obvious, regardless, it's happening !!!!

[edit on 7-9-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

This is very disturbing, I comeback to ATS to find my favorite and familiar site looking like a an advertisement magazine.

I guess I am old fashion because I find the new look no to my liking at all.

Soo sad. . .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Where has ATS chat run off to?

2nd

MOTF!

NM ive found it. Im glad it wasnt a snake.

LIKE THE NEW LOOK!!!!!

[edit on 7-9-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree, it's an abomination. The only thing I like is the menu bar.

Sometimes people get caught up in the 'we've to to look cooler' type approach and forget what makes something functional and easy to use.

I'll repeat what I've said .. this a more expensive type of wrong.

I give it 6 weeks. Starting now.

edit: I should say the layout of reading posts is the best ever, please dont interfere with that as well.

[edit on 7-9-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It's getting better I guess. The Menu Bar is still huge but no longer glaring bright and causing my eyes to water and burn.

The "green" crap on the Recent Posts page is gone. I can turn off most of my blocks now.

Trouble is it looks like we're left with less than we ever had. Without the color coded subjects on the recent posts page it's just a wall of nonsense without context. Guess the little icons will have to do.

Better than it was this morning, better than it was Friday, not nearly as good as it was last Monday.

Like everything is being glitzed up and dumbed down.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

This is very disturbing, I comeback to ATS to find my favorite and familiar site looking like a an advertisement magazine.

I guess I am old fashion because I find the new look no to my liking at all.

Soo sad. . .

Come on Marg, and the rest of you, give it a chance.... Explore all of the "newness" before you decide that you don't like it.

I first didn't like it, because I had become so used to the old tired version as well, change isn't always easy to accept, especially at first.

The more I have used it, and as I have found new features and a new "feel" to everything it has grown on me, and I am really starting to like it... and I ain't just saying that.

Just give it a chance!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Thanks for agreeing with me, I am so lost right now with trying to find my favorite topics and forum that every time I clink a new link is nothing but duplicates of ever thing.

I like change, is part of improving, and development, but this whole change right now is too much for my old brain to grasp, that is why I stay clear from complicated sites that makes you click and click until you just get lost trying to find what you want or just end up giving up.

Gradual change is better . . .

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

As you can see, I have been here long enough to see how ATS have developed and I have adapted very well, but this time is too much for my old brain to grasp. . . too much too suddenly . . . I feel like I have lost a very good old friend that I use to lean and find comfort in its company

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I haven't been here that long and I feel the same.
Everything has lost it's character and gone minimalistic.

Someone needs to tell the designers that the minimalistic trend is over.
It's now all about warm tones and comforting patterns.

Seems so many hotels, bars and dare I say it websites are way behind the curve.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join