It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus really exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I recently got into a debate with some folks who argued that Jesus did not exist. Their main argument was that NO contemporary historian recorded anything about Jesus, while my argument was that his ministry was very short and Christianity began as a small cult that only after a century or so began to spread to the point where historians took notice. Add to that the fact that Rome completely burned Jerusalem and the places where Jesus was said to have taught completely to the ground in 70 AD or so, and slaughtered everyone who might have had any recollection of the real Christ.

They also used Acharya S and the website www.jesusneverexisted.com... as the basis of their argument.

What do ATSers think about this subject? My belief is that early Christianity was supressed until Constantine decided to hijack it (much to the early Christians - Gnostics disagreement) and turn in into the plague that was and still is responsible for so many wars and deaths. After Rome bastardized Christianity, things like heresy and dogma were birthed. Christianity was changed from a humanitarian belief to a totalitarian religion.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

Originally posted by frozenspark

What do ATSers think about this subject?

Since you asked: I don't care.

Might've existed, might've not. It doesn't make a difference for me.

-v

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Got to say, I don't care either.

Cool stories, sounds like a good way to live your life... but christianity really doesn't apply to me thanks.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I think sometimes people forget to consider that some or a great portion of the bible is historical in nature. I am an atheist but I do believe Jesus existed much as men do. Jesus of Nazarus was more of a spiritual guru who saw the problems that existed in humanity and spoke out about them.

I feel like he was more of a preacher than anything. The deification of him is silly because Christianity is a Monotheistic type religion.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by packinupngoin]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well you're presenting a Christian POV to the argument. Many people interpret the so called Christ differently. You want to bring Rome destroying Jerusalem to the table as a way to discuss the records of Jesus living destroyed.
www.messiahtruth.com...
www.messiahtruth.com...
If Jesus did exist he would be very different from what we read today.
www.pocm.info...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by frozenspark
I recently got into a debate with some folks who argued that Jesus did not exist.

It the consensus of scholars (atheist, agnostics and believers) that Jesus DID EXIST. I have a nice list of what they say about Jesus if you want it?

[edit on 9/6/2010 by texastig]

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig

Sure I would love this fake list from fake scholars.
www.pocm.info...
www.messiahtruth.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Jesus exists to this day!
Just ask him any Tuesday when he mows my yard.

gj

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Jesus exists to this day!
Just ask him any Tuesday when he mows my yard.

gj

His name is Jesus and he is Mexican! lol

Second line

www.pocm.info...
www.messiahtruth.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig

yes please

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

If i could give you 5 stars for contribution, i would not hesitate.

Did Jesus exist? Well, existing itself is a mind boggler. But all in all, it would be a belief if you did. And nothing is wrong with believing.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Good Post Frozen

This is a subject I like to ponder. My opinion is that Jesus did live, but he was a mortal man just like you and I.

Those lovely things such as Heresey.....

I wasn't around 1700 years ago, but it does seem that Constantine sure hijacked the real message that Jesus was spreading.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

well, all i can say to this is, yes He does exist. If someone really wants to know, just have to ask Him..

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Wrong question OP it should be, does Jesus really exist? In short yes,... to all the extents that this question can be asked. You will meet him in person someday, as will everyone, I hope you are ready.

Peace

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by slane69
Wrong question OP it should be, does Jesus really exist? In short yes,... to all the extents that this question can be asked. You will meet him in person someday, as will everyone, I hope you are ready.

Peace

Judging by your comment you present Jesus as a savior figure. Judaism does not need a savior of people. There is no such thing.
www.messiahtruth.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Well, guess I'm expected to respond here, so here goes. The man in the famous picture that hangs in everyone's house is a false, yes, a fake deity, right in the face of the real God, who said no Gods before him. Isn't that one of those "thou shalt nots?" There was men like the one in the stories, lots of them, and they were not just in the land of ancient Israel. I highly suspect they were sent to correct mistakes made by ET beings masquerading as Gods, such as the Annunaki and some others, like the Reptilians. If they all have a good message, like love each other and don't kill each other, then the message evidently was not heard. No, what the people did was take what they had heard and created a GodMan who could not be killed, and could in fact raise the dead and perform other supernatural feats. The New Testament records all of these feats...but the question is, who wrote the New Testament? I have mentioned this is several threads of late, but nothing was written about Jesus until years after his faked death. Some 30-70 years after. this is why I laugh when I see a "red letter edition" NT, for I know the letters in read print are the words of Jesus! At least that is what Christians have been brainwashed into thinking.

The Roman Piso Family

WHO WROTE THE NEW TESTAMENT?

THE PISO FAMILY IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
(How they Wrote Themselves In)

Caesar/Piso Timeline

The funny thing is, there was an actual Jewish Historian living at the time, Philo of Alexandria and he was there during the Roman persecutions of early Christians, he was there during the supposed time of Jesus execution, but curiously never once mentions Jesus.

Why Are The Ancient Historians Silent About Jesus?

Consider the following list. These are the historians and writers who DID live within Christ's alleged lifetime or within a hundred years of it, after the time:

Apollonius
Appian
Arrian
Aulus Gellius
Columella
Damis
Dio Chrysostom
Dion Pruseus
Epictetus
Favorinus
Florus Lucius
Hermogones
Josephus
Justus of Tiberius
Juvenal
Lucanus
Lucian
Lysias
Martial
Paterculus
Pausanias
Valerius Maximus
Persius
Petronius
Phaedrus
Philo-Judaeus
Phlegon
Pliny the Elder
Pliny the Younger
Plutarch
Pompon Mela
Ptolemy
Quintilian
Quintius Curtius
Seneca
Silius Italicus
Statius
Suetonius
Tacitus
Theon of Smyran
Valerius Flaccus

Yet, aside from two FORGED passages in the works of a Jewish writer mentioned above, and two disputed passages in the works of Roman writers, there isn't ANY mention of Jesus Christ. At all. www.holysmoke.org...

I would say you and I are on the same page here, OP.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think we are a little late in the game for trying to decide if Jesus existed or not. The answer will not be found on the web, or in any archaeological dig, it really is a matter of faith. It has been the game of telephone, the stories passed through, hijacked, copied from, but the message of love should be evident to all. I don't think anyone can go wrong by loving their neighbor, regardless of who they are as a person.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Jesus existed because the bible tells us so.
The Bible doesnt lie.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil

Jesus existed because the bible tells us so.
The Bible doesnt lie.

Well I can tell you follow your faith blindly. The New Testament is not the Torah.
You need to learn about your religion.
www.messiahtruth.com...
www.messiahtruth.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
TextTextText Purple
hi friend,
I decide to write a response for the first time, here, because I think its important more than ever to believe in a higher power, and to me its Jesus, before I did not beleive either but at 19 years old, now 47, I wanted to kill myself, but before, I asked outloud if there was a God to give me a proof of his existence and if living, suffering until death had a purpose or not...

And I found myself in some kind of a vision where Jesus was in front of me & we talked without speaking which never happend to me before, it was telepatic & very powerful, I could read Him like a book & I knew alot about Him in a few seconds, & He was so bright, he was shining like a diamond.

What happend was much longer than what I'm saying in here, but, I am letting you know that Jesus really do exists...

And another thing asked yourself why we live in the 20th century when the planet is 10 millions years of age minimum,
because what happend 2000 years ago was so important and life changing, that they've started the calender from the moment of his death!!!!!

N.B.: Please forgive my bad english, I am a french woman, thanx in advance...
Peace to all of you
Be happy and fallow your heart, it knows where to go, always...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join