It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why people don't like the United states of America.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Originally posted by Shark VA84
The thread is about why people don't like the US. It is not about why people don't like people

It's easy to sit here and pick apart a country and its people, you should try it with every other nation around the globe and see what you find.

I could and I will find a lot of crap. Not arguing about that.

I stopped taking you seriously after I read your "American culture" section. You could not be further from reality.

That is a very dumb thing to do as they are not presenting my personal thoughts, but the thoughts of people around the world.

People are the SAME around the globe, its just idiots who pay attention to the media and pretend that they know something about people they have never met when true hostility arises.

I agree, but as I said it is not about the people.

I spent a good bit of time in the Middle-East, outside my military service, and the people treated me as a brother (and no, I'm not a Muslim). Most of the people understand that the media is an unreliable source for learning about the world and its inhabitants, and they understand that the same corporate greed and corruption that exists in America, exists in their country as well.

I know most of them are just normal people like you and me.

The sooner people focus their disgust and outrage at the GOVERNMENTS and the MEDIA, the sooner we will find peace on this planet.

My intention all along. Consider yourself to be one of the people that make it impossible to focus as you all continuously keep up bringing the people hate stuff up.

Most educated people do not hate the U.S., most educated people hate ignorance, regardless of its geographic location.

I don't hate at all. No nations, no people, not even a singe individual.

Most educated people learn to comprehend what they read, and what they do not understand or think is not clear for them. They learn to ask for a clarification instead of making assumptions.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by Faustian Spirit

I'm not quite sure if you are addressing me with your post but if you are, you are tatally mis understanding me. Besides I do not think this was what the other poster was thinking of.

What I said was that americans have a tendency to be paranoic, and I used one of your phrases that shows it ("you have an agenda").

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Faustian Spirit

Thank you for clearing that up

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Great idea for a thread Sinter. Sorry to see so many are missing your point.

Lots of comments already on the military, political, maybe I'll take a different route.

As an American who has travelled abroad, I certainly have seen my share of some of those true feelings that others have for us. We were travelling once with our Australian nanny, and were in Ireland, if I recall correctly. My kids were about to go horseback riding, and the lady helping in the stables seemed friendly enough...perhaps. But what a contrast when our nanny said something, and this stable lady picked up that "other" accent. What a relief! Now the big smile came out! Thank goodness, they're not all Americans! No, she didn't say this, but it was obvious that "Australian" was wonderful, in comparison to the rest of our group.

A small thing really, but had our nanny not been there, we might not have noticed any difference. We picked up a bit of the same in Tahiti, but mostly from the French tourists it seemed to me. The Tahitians themselves were rather decent, all around, and yet, here's the funny thing, we were often impatient with their slow pace. Not that we were rude, not at all, but wasn't our impatience so very "American"?

So, I agree, Americans are "hated", probably more than we might imagine.

I think the easy answer to "why" does have to do with perceived American arrogance. Frankly, I've seen it myself. Here's a few examples that made me cringe a bit.

We took a cruise in the Caribbean, and everywhere the ship stopped, a bunch of tourist Americans swarmed ashore. One place, a loud-mouthed New Yorker, a woman, was clearly a bit drunk, and her attitude to a cabby was horrific. The young black man had apparently bruised her luggage, or something. He took her abuse, and was very humble. Meanwhile, his fellow cabbies watched, and snickered amongst themselves. No doubt, this happens all the time.

Another time, in Mexico, at a restaurant. An American man (Californian I was pretty sure) was getting loud, using profanity, etc. As usual, a humble waiter, again, taking the abuse, as if it's just another day.

I mention these, and yet I can't really think of a time when a German tourist was anything but polite. The Japanese, perhaps a bit pushy here or there, but they don't seem to have big loud mouths. And I can think of other groups too. Why is it that every time there is a problem, it's an American?

Seriously. I was born in the USA, and the last thing I want to do is "stereotype" Americans! Sheesh.

I think there is a fair amount of arrogance out there that we don't always even notice. When I'm in New York, I don't take offense to some stranger saying, "Hurry up already!", a few people behind me in line, as I'm ordering for several others. In another town, another place, I might think that manners were certainly lacking.

Anyway, it's easy to forget that we are all "representatives" of our nations, when we are in other places, whether we like it or not.

Maybe what we can do is try a bit harder. "When in Rome" kind of a thing.

Final point. How is anything going to change if no one even wants to talk about it? I don't take offense at your thread Sinter. Maybe it's about time we looked in the mirror.

JR

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I dont understand why people are attacking the OP? All he has done is provide information about real events, where the US was involved.

As he said, its not a bashing thread, its to discuss if his points were realistic. Some of you need to get off your high horse and re-read the opening.

[edit on 7/9/2010 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

There is a saying, that all it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

That is what seems to be happening.

The US government is abusing its power both domestically and all over the world, and the good people of America seem to be complacently letting it happen.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

Thank you JR.

I didn't even thought about the small stuff yet. I really couldn't actually. I've only met 1 US person in real life.She was rather polite actually.The polite and decent behavior from from your example are only an act I think. I mean they do rely on tourists to pay their bills.

How is anything going to change if no one even wants to talk about it?
I honestly don't know
I guess hate is maybe even the smallest issue to loose.

I also fail to understand how people read stuff that isn't there.

Luckily people like you pull me through.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Throughout my life I've traveled through Europe, Asia the Middle East and most of the USA and you know what I've found,the French are rude, the British proper, the Japanese loyal,the Amercans ignorant etc. etc. etc......but it's all just a facade. People are people no matter where you are,living their lives trying to make the best of what the have.

I don't think the world hates America,I just think America is in the world's face 24/7. The MSM of every country is corrupt. I don't think the US government is innocent in any way,but I don't think it's anymore corrupt than any other. The whole worlds going to hell and we're just putting blame to wherever we can instead of trying to fix what's wrong.

I don't know, maybe it is what someone said earlier about the US being a testing ground, but I'm afraid for all of us.I just hope we find our way before it's too late.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

The Two Reasons on your list that everybody should love America unconditionaly.

24.THE BLUES

One of the many musical genres that are American - and, more specifically, African-American - inventions. Marrying old spirituals, so called ‘field hollers’ and west African influences, the blues laid the foundation for much of what was to follow, including rock ’n’ roll. Masters like Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker and Willie Dixon created music of elemental force.

31. JOHNNY CASH

A great American renegade. A voice like a lion’s and a face that looked like it belonged on Mount Rushmore. He rightfully enjoyed a career resurgence in the last years of his life. In the process, he made one of the most moving videos ever to accompany his version of a Nine Inch Nails song, Hurt.

Look you can come up with fifty ways to hate any country. Hey, if you try hard enough you can come up with ten reasons to hate Ghandi or Mother Teresa. Why don't we all try to spread a little love.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
I dont understand why people are attacking the OP? All he has done is provide information about real events, where the US was involved.

As he said, its not a bashing thread, its to discuss if his points were realistic. Some of you need to get off your high horse and re-read the opening.

Steps down, Brushes off his pants, ties up his horse. Takes off hat and leather jacket. Pulls up a chair spins it around to sit on it backwards facing the table. Puts a toothpick in his mouth.

Let's discuss it then....

Hi ATS
Since there are a number of threads that ask why... I will present you all with a couple of reasons that might be the cause of disliking the US.

No, actually nobody really asks why. However every few weeks or so, it seems somebody feels the need to bring up ghosts of Christmas past as if they have manna from heaven and are going to try to straighten out Americans.

Reason 1 : American influence since 1945

The Middle East

Syria : In Spring 1949, the elected government of Syria is overthrown, This resulted in the establishment of a dictatorship under Colonel Za’im.

Don't you mean one of over 20 different cabinet changes in 4 or 5 years culminating in a stable Syria after the " French" mandate? There is a lot of history there.

Your source...

The humiliating defeat suffered by the army was one of several trigger factors for Col. Husni al-Za'im's seizure of power in 1949, in what has been described as the first military overthrow of the Arab world.[24] since the start of the Second World War. This was soon followed by another overthrow, by Col. Sami al-Hinnawi, who was then himself quickly deposed by Col. Adib Shishakli, all within the same year.[24]

Iran : In 1953,

Ahh yes. Operation Ajax. You so far in both instances fail to mention who instigated those actions. I haven't read anything about "British" involvement, and I don't see a reference to "Why people hate the UK"

Your Source...

the British government, headed by Winston Churchill, embargoed Iranian oil and successfully enlisted the United States to join in a plot to depose the democratically elected government of Mossadegh

Iraq, 1990s:

I think the Biased information presented failed to mention the other coalition countries that were involved in Operation Desert Storm. Which included...

Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom, Egypt, France, Syria, Morocco, Kuwait, Oman, Pakistan, Canada, United Arab Emirates, Bangladesh, Italy, Australia, Netherlands, Niger, Sweden, Argentina, Senegal, Spain, Bahrain, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, Czechoslovakia, Greece, Denmark, New Zealand, Hungary and Norway

Afghanistan, 1979-92:

So let's see here now the Soviets were the good guys in Afghanistan. HA HA HA. Man that article has twisted the whole war around to the point where that the "Freedom Fighters" AKA mujaheddin [Not the Taliban] were the bad guys and that the Soviets and their puppet Government were the good guys.

Pathetic.

OK at this point I'm going to pause becuase I simply cannot believe that people would

A. Star this crap

and

B. Americans are getting upset over this garbage, its pure horse crap.

Pulls the bottle of scotch over and pours himself a shot, first of many.

Ok, let's continue...

Throughout the 1980s, The administration also supported Saddam Hussein in the eight -year Iran-Iraq War, which ended in 1988. The administration provided logistical and intelligence support, believing, wrongly, that Saddam could destabilize the Iranian regime and defeat the Islamic Revolution.

And you people wonder why there are middle eastern people willing to blow themselves up ? or behead an American soldier ?

OK so you're trying to say the reason that all over the world people who are blowing themselves up and or beheading Americans is because we supported Saddam Hussein?

Oh man, that's rich...

American influence in Asia has also caused a lot of pain and misery. Places like China, Philippines, South Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, East Timor.

China?
You mean the ones we supported in their fight against the Japanese during WWII? We flew missions over the hump to supply them fuel and ammo? The ones where Americans and other Allied pilots flew into combat becuase the Chinese air force were no match for the Japanese?

Philippines?
You mean the ones we liberated from again the Japanese after they raped and murdered hundreds of thousands or more?
That Philippines?

South Korea?
You mean the very same South Korea that the US sacrificed over 50,000 of it's own men [Not to mention all the other UN forces] that died to defend the South Against the North invasion?

You know this is really quite stupid if you think about it. Now I'm really surprised why people are supporting this asinine thread.

SIGH....

Vietnam?
You mean French Indochina don't you? People tend to forget that there was an entirely other country there that didn't want anything to do with the North called South Vietnam. Again we and other allies sacrificed over 50,000 in their defense. Yes I say defense becuase most of the fighting happened in the South. Had the US been the aggressor we would have not only bombed the North but would have invaded them.

South America has also been victim of American influence. Places like Guatemala, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Chile, Niceragua, Grenada, Panama, El Salvador, Haiti, British Gyana.

Africa...

So....
All the former European colonies only have issues with the US?
Oh brother, that's too funny.

Even Europe isn't forgotten as Germany, Italy, Greece, Albania and the former Yugoslavian nations.

What now???
Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy are traumatized by the Evil American Empire?

I hope this clarifies why... As it is only the top of the ice berg.

Kind regards

~ Sinter

Yeah you clarified it alright.

I was going to defend McDonald's and your other Corporatism point but you know what? That you actually got right! Your thread wasn't a complete washout. Good for you.

Stands up, downs his shot of scotch in one gulp. Fires up a smoke, puts on his hat and leather jacket and rides out of this one horse town.

PEACE

Slay

[edit on 8-9-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Some good points but the theatrics grated on my nerves..

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I think this is exactly what sinter and some others (me included) are talking about: everything must be a show, and if you can offend and slam down one for his thinking, you will. Even if you're right, which is irrelevant. We're talking about "the whys", not about who's right or wrong, and even though some of your explanations are worthy of thinking about, you just blow it with arrogance. Not that I hate a cowboy show. But you do it over and over again, and then it starts to wear out, just that.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

reply to post by Logarock

Please correct what is wrong ?

There are more then enough lies in the world as it is.

In Ref to...

Posted in OP...

"Afghanistan, 1979-92:
Everyone knows of the unbelievable repression of women in Afghanistan, carried out by Islamic fundamentalists, even before the Taliban. But how many people know that during the late 1970s and most of the 1980s, Afghanistan had a government committed to bringing the incredibly backward nation into the 20th century, including giving women equal rights? What happened, however, is that the United States poured billions of dollars into waging a terrible war against this government, simply because it was supported by the Soviet Union. Prior to this, CIA operations had knowingly increased the probability of a Soviet intervention, which is what occurred. In the end, the United States won, and the women, and the rest of Afghanistan, lost. More than a million dead, three million disabled, five million refugees, in total about half the population"....

Well in the main when the Soviet backed government was rejected by the country at large the Soviet army let go hell down on the heads on the countryside. The US didnt get into the mix untill half of Pakistan was filled with Afgan refugees.

These figures three million killed ect really was the work of the Soviets in their effort to pacify the Afgans.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

LOL... Good points there slayer, reminds of this thread that I wrote...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We know you people hate America. We are sorry, that a nation of Slaves, Peasant and the miscreants and downtrodden of your lame countries has rising to become What we are today.

Of course we have strayed from time to time, and have our own skeletons that need sorted out, but hey who doesn’t... In time we will sort it out, once we throw the bums who are in control of the government out. Thanks for your concern OP and Europe, but really no need to worry here, we will still be there for you whenever a new evil threaten comes your way.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
For myself, it's been apparent for years that it's all been about posturing, corporate greed, political maneuvering, the "must sue everyone" mentality.

People the world over seem to absolutely have a hate on for Americans, but LOVE Canadians.

I find this with the British too - lots of people the world over seem to dislike the English. I was born and raised in England, but as soon as I produce the fact that I'm Canadian, and back it up with a Canadian passport or driver's licence, people's attitude towards me when I'm travelling changes immensely.

MANY Americans TRY to claim to be Canadians when they're travelling abroad, but it rapidly unravels if you ask them questions about Canada.

If you're going to try and pass yourself off as Canadian, at least learn something about Canada first.

1) You should be able to name at least ONE Canadian hockey team, preferably from the province (we don't have STATES) which contains the city you claim to be from.
2) You should know what TIM HORTONS is. Look it up.
3) You should know that 35C is very hot. We use Celsius, not Fahrenheit. You should be able to convert it easily enough if you're Canadian as you're used to being asked "how hot is that" by people from other countries.
4) Toronto is NOT the capital of Canada. Look it up.
5) Seattle is NOT in Canada. Don't claim to be from Seattle if it's the furthest north city you can think of.
6) You should be able to hold your liquor.
7) You should know that we have a Prime Minister, and a Queen, and who they are.
8) You should know who is the Premier of the Province you claim to be from. And you should be able to list multiple reasons why you hate him or her.
9) You should be familiar with GST, PST, and HST.
10) You should be upbeat, friendly, non condascending, tolerant of others of any race, religion, or sexual orientation.
11) You should be happy for your gay friend that is getting married to another person of the same sex (even if you're not gay).
12) In ANY bar, you should be able to point out the people that you can easily buy marijuana from.
13) You should know what a maple leaf is (both the tree and hockey team)
14) You should know which city has the largest Rodeo in the world.
15) You should be able to list multiple reasons why you would NEVER live in the USA.

[edit on 8-9-2010 by babybunnies]

[edit on 8-9-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Wow no thanks. It would be better to take a round to the back of the head.

What really bothers many about americans these days is that US makes thier candy #as uncomfortable. Just go along to get along is what most want. Look man someone has to play the role... as Canada plays its role.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

You give some good points, but they do not change anything.

I know that every event and choices made have been together with other nations and/or because of other nations actions. The cold war probably caused some bad decisions because of the pressure. I know the US was not alone on stage and the other nations are just as much to blame.
But... The other nations are not receiving the same treatment the US gets, from nations and people all around the world.

Even if every example is wrong from the OP it doesn't really change the current attitude towards America. This attitude is the subject I'd like to see changed. My examples are a part of what's causing the attitude. In my opinion that is the reason why we should discuss them.

But how can we discuss anything when people get offended ?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Thank you.

I do not consider the US a lesser state because of the immigrants and slaves and stuff.
The evil bunch that rules your country is just not only effecting Americans but also everybody else.
Why don't we face them together ?

Thanks for posting your thread
I'm gonna read it right away.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think that what's going on with the plan to burn the koran to be as low as you can get. Surely the US can stop this? If they wanted to that is.
I think that the events that follow here if he succeeds will be a catalyst to something that shouldn't have even been thought about.
I'm not a muslim but hear this when I say I disgusted and I feel that its everyones right to their own beliefs.
People bang on about muslims etc? Who is it that provokes?

He's suposed to be a religious figure? Don't make me laugh.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Even if every example is wrong from the OP it doesn't really change the current attitude towards America. This attitude is the subject I'd like to see changed.

This isn't going to change. People (a very human thing) need something to complain about and/or hate. Look at the examples in your life and you will see this is true. Talking about it doesn't change this need as you've so aptly pointed out that even if every example you gave was wrong, people would still hate the US and you're right about that. It's more fundamental than "policy" and it comes from within... People as a whole, feel the need to divide and take sides, find those who are like them. This change in attitude you wish to see regarding the US doesn't come about by talking, it comes from overcoming this need to choose a team. There's always going to be someone or some entity that has more - more money, more power, more control, more vision, more creativity, whatever. The one who has more is the one who will take the heat. Just the way it is.. Don't misdirect the anger and energy, the wrong direction won't help get one to where they want to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join