It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.0 earthquake hits Christchurch, New Zealand

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

150 volcanos in the auckland region none are considered active they are dormant but with a few good earthquakes where i live may become active in a big way

xploder

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by k0mbination

rock n roll cheack out this eq map its positivly hopping today lol

lots of activity on the map
xp

just noticed an earth quake at taupo
its a small quake but taupo was one of the biggest eruptions recorded here and is new zealands largest volcano
it is filled with water and is a recreational lake

lets hope she doesnt wake up

xp

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by leprapom

Aftershocks are still hitting, many people down here complaining about crockery and the like being smashed on the radio

Should have moved the radio, might have saved some crockery!!

I've never felt a quake at all way over here in WA. They seem to go on all around us, but never hit here... The worst we have is flies..

Shouldn't complain I guess

hopefully no one is hurt over there in kiwi..

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

our country is still reverberating check the latest quakes

they seam to follow the larger faults right across the country

xp

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
More quite big aftershocks here right now.

11.05 to 11.15.

They are on live TV with the studio shaking!!! OMG.

Quite longaftershocks now. I'm looking out the windows and its making me seasick!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

150 volcanos in the auckland region none are considered active they are dormant but with a few good earthquakes where i live may become active in a big way

xploder

Oh I know none of them are active, born and raised in Auckland for 22 years. Took me by surprise to find out Lake Pupuke was a volcanic maar as a kid, you'd drive around it and not batter an eye lid.

150?... dang didnt know it was that many my geography teacher in highschool lied to me!
I know we had alot though in that region.

But yes, a good shake in Auckland would be extremely bad news and might open one or two of em up, hell Rangitoto would be the main candidate to me, I mean of all of them its the one that blew its top the most recently (geologically speaking). Where down near Hamilton now, alot safer in that regard, although the 2 local mountains 10 minutes drive from us are suspiciously volcano like and we can see Ruapehu on the sky line from the back paddock on clear days.

Mums been on the phone to her friend who funny enough went to Christchurch for the weekend and ended up in the quake, guess unlucky things like that happen

Originally posted by grantbeed
More quite big aftershocks here right now.

11.05 to 11.15.

They are on live TV with the studio shaking!!! OMG.

Quite longaftershocks now. I'm looking out the windows and its making me seasick!!!

Dang, keep safe and get under a door frame

[edit on 3-9-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
fault line reported as still shifting sounds like a very long rupture and sticky parts are still slipping and news reports are happening at the time of after shocks

xp

spoty damage blamed on sub soil conditions and liqufication
ground water areas and are hard hit due to the water table rising

the plains are in a basin with the eq waves bouncing back toward the epicenter

xp

expected fault to be 100km long and up to 3 meters wide (unconfirmed)

[edit on 3-9-2010 by XPLodER]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

i was in the national park when ruapahu erupted
and when the lahar happened
my friend bought property down there a week after the eruption
got a very good price on it lol

major of chch on telly saying eq has affected everyone in some way or another

xp

the volcano rangitoto scares the @#$% out of me if that puppy goes up aucks is over

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

there are rumblings in the volcanos the sismic sensor in the pic is taupo man im a bit worried

hope this eq ontop of taupo is nothing to worrie about

xp

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

map of earth quakes around new zealands biggist volcano
scroll to the right to see the map

xploder

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

here is some more info on the lacation of sensors

sensor feeds unavaliable atm suppose to many people online there

xploder

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Just been watching on the net some of the interviews with the locals, and it makes me very proud to be a kiwi when I see how well everyone is coping with it all. All the best and I wish you luck and love guys

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
hi all even felt the bugger all the way up in new plymouth, taranaki hope everyone is doing ok down there. i saw a minute of brief footage from someones cellphone & the earth basically looked like it had been liquified.

Also Xp the worry around here is mt.taranaki its been overdue for any kind of activity for about 300 years now

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Excellent reporting XPLodER. Thank you so much. Keep up the Good Work! You should join us at some point over on the Quake Watch 2010 sometime :-). At the moment over there we are very concerned about one of our key quakewatchers - We haven't heard from her all day

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

As far as I gather, there are 50 volcanoes in the Auckland "Volcanic Field"..still, it's a huge number.

The Auckland volcanic field has about 50 volcanoes, within an area of 360 square kilometres. Some take the familiar shape of hills with large craters at the top, like Rangitoto and One Tree Hill. Some have been quarried away, like Albert Park or Mount Smart, and some have always just been large holes in the ground, like Panmure Basin or Orakei Basin. www.gns.cri.nz...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by k0mbination

Just spoke with a friend in Austin, Texas who has a brother who just moved to area of the quake, he hasn't been able to get through to him, he is assuming he is alright and it's hard to get through on a phone, know what that is like, I went through the 89 Quake in San Francisco and it took me 11 hours of hitting redial to get through to my daughter in Michigan..

Hope there are no serious injuries or loss of life there, my thoughts and prayers are with them.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Kia ora everyone, just thought I'd say g'day and wish everyone in Chch the best, last I saw there were two blokes injured, any update?

Hope all my mates down South are safe and well, take care, Footy.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Can't believe I felt this in Wellington. Was awake and watching BBC at the time. Am glad no one was injured. Thought that wellington was finally having it's 'big one'..

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Hello all NZers. What is that film that is coming out soon about the earthquake in NZ that releases demons from a volcano? I don't know if that's the actual plot I only saw the trailer.

I'm sure some of you know what I'm tlaking about though. Good timing for the movie.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Gidday all,

I'm a local resident of Christchurch , lived in New Zealand most of my life and I can honestly say that was the biggest bloody shake I've ever experienced in my life.
My wife and I were woken out of our sleep at 4:30am this morning as our house was shaking so violently that I thought it would collapse. The shaking lasted for about a minute and a half. It is now 1:40pm our time and we are still having large after shocks.
The first thing my wife and I did was to grab our dynamo shortwave radio torch to see if there was any immediate danger of a tsunami, - my biggest fear. After establishing there was no tsunami threat we filled our bath tub with water and the other 20L containers before the water shut off.
We were prepared to pack up our car and bolt within ten minutes if we needed to.
The older buildings in our central business district have collapsed and the police and the have cordened off the central city for public safety. The army is being called in to help with the clean up.
The Avon River which runs through our city began sloshing water over it's banks and ground water as well as sediment are bubbling up through large cracks in the roads. Some houses along our eastern suburbs which run parallel to the coast have began to sink as liquifaction is starting to rear it's ugly head.
This quake was very shallow only 10km deep.
Thank God there were no deaths.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join