It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John's Brother - John the Baptist - Freemasons, Templars & Leonardo DaVinci

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
Today i came across something very interesting that is not discussed anywhere on the internet. I was reading an old Freemason Encyclopedia and found this mention when i tried to look up John the Baptist, in which there was nothing there:

John's Brothers
In the Charter of Cologne, it is said that before the year 1440 the society of Freemasons was known by no other name than that of John's Brothers (Joannaeorum fratrum); that they then began to be called at Valenciennes, Free and Accepted Masons; and that at that time, in some parts of Flanders, by the assistance and riches of the brotherhood, the first hospitals were erected for the relief of such as were afflicted with Saint Anthony's fire. In another part of the Charter it is said that the authors of the associations were called Brothers consecrated to John, or in Latin fratres Joanni Sacros, because "they followed the example and imitation of John the Baptist."

Which Freemason encyclopedia is this please?

Regarding your OP there is a thread of esoteric import weaving through history, it seems, when it comes to John the Forerunner, or, the Baptist. Albert Pike (in his Morals and Dogma) and Godfrey Higgins (in his Anacalypsis), wrote of the Templars being of the Johannite faith, venerating him as the genuine article as compared to the usurper Christ. They also see Freemasonry as heir, perhaps directly, to that tradition.
Many Gnostic traditions also place John the Baptist as a central figure in their theologies. Some modern forms of Freemasonry, regular and irregular, also long ago installed St. John as their patron saint, though often it is apparently difficult to assertain whether it is John the Baptist or the Evangelist.

If you want a full rundown of the Templars, Freemasonry, and other sects whose underground stream may intersect with Johannism the following is useful:

Antiqillum.org: Qadosh: the Johannite Tradition

The above online book sources some dodgy material but it's valuable tour of the so-called "authentic tradition." It takes in all the popular mythologies and pseudo-histories such as that inspired Dan Brown's most famous work.

The Priory of Sion is a hoax though.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw
John the Baptist - it makes sense that Masonic lodges are dedicated to him. If you trace John the Baptist properly and thoroughly, you will find out why. Hint: Hermes

Oannes/Ioannes...

[edit on 2/9/10 by Extant Taxon]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
wow, interesting thread... quick question: is John the baptist the same person as John the revelator?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

Some esoteric traditions hold all major Johns of the Bible (the Baptist, the Evangelist, and John of Patmos who is credited with writing Revelations) as one and the same person.
It doesn't seem likely though according to biblical scholars.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Wow...thanks for a very nice and stimulating read this morning. No judgements of Christ, the Church, no juvenile comments, a well thought out and intriguing thread. Thank you.

Perhaps John the Baptist is an icon to the Templars because he was as they were and are... Holders of unforeseen knowledge, outcasts, radical in their thinking, protectors, and on the cutting edge so to speak.

Just as John the Baptist lived in perilous times, so did the Templars...as demonstrated by their demise...as well as any thoughts and ideas that deviated from the church...aka...Da Vinci, Michaelangelo.

So, they all hid...John in the wilderness, Templars underground and into the masonic lodges( unions), and Da Vinci and Michaelangelo as artists in the church.

The Catholic Church of that time was very powerful and harsh. Any idea or thought that deviated from the official dogma was condemned and punished or eradicated.

The church forced many artists to tow the line so to speak, that is why there is so much religious art from that time period....having studied art, their are literally hundreds, if not thousands of Moddona with Child paintings.... Da Vinci was smart enough and politically savy enough to hide his feelings in plain sight... probably gave the church the finger and they never even knew it.

The Templars, anything Jewish, anything enlightened to real knowledge had to hide from the church and the inquisition in Europe... so many did in the trade unions...aka Masons...these stone workers had mathematical knowledge, engineering skills, artists artisans, craftsmen... FREE THINKERS. Such is why they are always at the base of any radical ideas and efforts.

Thanks for the info...best thread in a while.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

Have there been any accurate restorations of what the feet were doing in the last supper, I think many clues have been obscured by time and artifice, also where is the cave with monoliths above?

Thanks for your time and insights.

SnF OP.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Thepreye]

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Thepreye]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

We think of the Christianisation of the North as being a harsh time but what went on in Italy and Greece must have been a very bloody affair as the very roots of the old religions were all around.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extant Taxon

Today i came across something very interesting that is not discussed anywhere on the internet. I was reading an old Freemason Encyclopedia and found this mention when i tried to look up John the Baptist, in which there was nothing there:

John's Brothers
In the Charter of Cologne, it is said that before the year 1440 the society of Freemasons was known by no other name than that of John's Brothers (Joannaeorum fratrum); that they then began to be called at Valenciennes, Free and Accepted Masons; and that at that time, in some parts of Flanders, by the assistance and riches of the brotherhood, the first hospitals were erected for the relief of such as were afflicted with Saint Anthony's fire. In another part of the Charter it is said that the authors of the associations were called Brothers consecrated to John, or in Latin fratres Joanni Sacros, because "they followed the example and imitation of John the Baptist."

Which Freemason encyclopedia is this please?

I can't find the original book that i found the John's Brother quote but it was probably the exact quote as found above which can be found here, sorry i forgot to post the link:

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FREEMASONRY AND ITS KINDRED SCIENCES
by ALBERT C. MACKEY M. D.
www.phoenixmasonry.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I can't find the original book that i found the John's Brother quote but it was probably the exact quote as found above which can be found here, sorry i forgot to post the link:

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF FREEMASONRY AND ITS KINDRED SCIENCES
by ALBERT C. MACKEY M. D.
www.phoenixmasonry.org...

O.K.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
John made a huge impact in his day the measure of which is not captured in the bible. He was very highly regarded and yet rejected by Jewish power centers. "greatest man ever born of a woman" Jesus said of him.

Early christians were recorded as having run into his followers preaching Johns message outside of Palistine.

Both he and Jesus were anounced by angels. John is said to have jumped with joy in the womb when his mom and christs mom came into contact....as Jesus and John were 1st cousin.

Andrew who had followed Christ had been a follower of John. When Andrew saw that Jesus had come out of the grave he when right up to Herod and had his head cut off as well. This gives us a measure of what some thought of John.

In MHO much of what John was and did has been hidden. He may really have been a prophet after the order of Elija and Elisha. It was even said once that some thought Jesus was John come back to life again so great was the mans power with the Lord.

Even Johns life and ministry were fortold long before he was born. Jesus likend him to Elijah of which is said that he Elijah will return before Jesus second comming.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
John made a huge impact in his day the measure of which is not captured in the bible. He was very highly regarded and yet rejected by Jewish power centers. "greatest man ever born of a woman" Jesus said of him.

That's a tremendous insult in the Middle East. Calling someone a "son of a woman" is much worse than calling someone a "son of a bitch" these days, since women were regarded as unclean and held in such low esteem at the time.

That's generally why Jesus is often referred to as the "son of man," since he is not unclean. It also accounts for the notion of the "virgin birth." Anyone born of a woman can't be clean, and certainly not a proper prophet.

It goes to further indicate that there was some odd friction between Jesus and John the Baptist. That they both had dealings with Salome only further complicates the story.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
By history, custom, tradition and ritualistic requirements, the Craft holds dear the days of St. John the Baptist on June 24, and St. John the Evangelist on December 27.

By history, custom, tradition and ritualistic requirements, the Craft holds dear the days of St. John the Baptist on June 24, and St. John the Evangelist on December 27.

www.masonicworld.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Extant Taxon

Yes, yes and yes!
Oannes, John, Hermes, Anpu/Djehuti, Abufihamet...

[edit on 2-9-2010 by CodyOutlaw]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The guy with the Red hair on the right in the blue robe has 6 toes on both feet.

What is up with that? What is the significance of that, it's something I've never heard anybody talk about.

Anybody else find that kind of strange? I figured I would look where nobody else is looking....

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Wow...thanks for a very nice and stimulating read this morning. No judgements of Christ, the Church, no juvenile comments, a well thought out and intriguing thread. Thank you.

Thank you for your kind words! I am just trying to get the facts straight and see what people think about all of these coincidences and similarities. All i want is the truth and i don't want to make people upset on my way to finding it, people can believe whatever they want to believe!

Perhaps John the Baptist is an icon to the Templars because he was as they were and are... Holders of unforeseen knowledge, outcasts, radical in their thinking, protectors, and on the cutting edge so to speak.

Just as John the Baptist lived in perilous times, so did the Templars...as demonstrated by their demise...as well as any thoughts and ideas that deviated from the church...aka...Da Vinci, Michaelangelo.

Well some people think that the Knights Templar and the Priory of Sion were created by the same group. They think that the Prior was born out of the Templars and i think there could be something to this. If you look into the Rennes le Chateau mystery and Southern France, there is a lot of early jewish beliefs floating around there from Mary Magdalene. I think this is an important piece of the puzzle.

So, they all hid...John in the wilderness, Templars underground and into the masonic lodges( unions), and Da Vinci and Michaelangelo as artists in the church.

The Catholic Church of that time was very powerful and harsh. Any idea or thought that deviated from the official dogma was condemned and punished or eradicated.

Yes the church was very cruel to scientist, thinkers and artist during that time. Da Vinci definitely helped start the renaissance and it appears that the Masons were the perfect vehicle to discuss "free ideas".

The Templars, anything Jewish, anything enlightened to real knowledge had to hide from the church and the inquisition in Europe... so many did in the trade unions...aka Masons...these stone workers had mathematical knowledge, engineering skills, artists artisans, craftsmen... FREE THINKERS. Such is why they are always at the base of any radical ideas and efforts.

Thanks for the info...best thread in a while.

The Templars and the Masons have so many jewish connections there has to be something to it. All of the original Templars came from Southern France and they were probably some how related to the Merovingian Dynasty, possibly through Mary Magdalane. Also the first king of Jerusalem was Baldwin who was from Southern France. Also Godfrey de Bouillon, the first ruler of Jerusalem before Baldwin took over as King was from Southern France. It appears that Southern France had a huge part in the first Crusade. Of all the european nations fighting for Jerusalem why did the people from Southern France rule the new land?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw
reply to post by Extant Taxon

Yes, yes and yes!
Oannes, John, Hermes, Anpu/Djehuti, Abufihamet...

Indeedy.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thepreye
reply to post by Onboard2

Have there been any accurate restorations of what the feet were doing in the last supper, I think many clues have been obscured by time and artifice, also where is the cave with monoliths above?

Thanks for your time and insights.

SnF OP.

Regarding the cave, here is a paragraph from the book "The Templar Revelation" by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince:

The contract (this is referring to the contract between DaVinci and the Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception which is a controversial matter because the group took DaVinci to court over the painting, in which 20 years later he painted the second version) also specified the theme of the painting. It was to portray an event not found in the Gospels but long present in Christian legend. This was the story of how, during the flight into Egypt, Joseph, Mary and the baby Jesus had sheltered in a desert cave, where they met the infant John the Baptist, who was protected by the archangel Uriel. The point of this legend is that it allowed an escape from one of the more obvious and embarrassing questions raised by the Gospel story of Jesus' baptism. Why should a supposedly sinless Jesus require baptism at all, given that the ritual is a symbolic gesture of having one's sins washed away and of one's commitment to future godliness? Why should the Son of God himself have submitted to what was clearly an act of authority on the part of the Baptist?

This legend tells how, at this remarkably fortuitous meeting of the two holy infants, Jesus conferred on his cousin John the authority to baptize him when they were both adults. For several reasons this seems to us to be a most ironic commission for the confraternity to give Leonardo, but equally one might suspect that he would have delighted in receiving it - and in making the interpretation, at least in one of the versions, very much his own.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by Logarock

That's a tremendous insult in the Middle East. Calling someone a "son of a woman" is much worse than calling someone a "son of a bitch" these days, since women were regarded as unclean and held in such low esteem at the time.

That's generally why Jesus is often referred to as the "son of man," since he is not unclean. It also accounts for the notion of the "virgin birth." Anyone born of a woman can't be clean, and certainly not a proper prophet.

It goes to further indicate that there was some odd friction between Jesus and John the Baptist. That they both had dealings with Salome only further complicates the story.

That phrase 'son of man' was confusing to me. I think it means 'Human'.

The Prophet Ezechiel is addressed by God as "son of man" more than ninety times, e.g. "Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak to thee" (Ezekiel 2:1). This usage is confined to Ezechiel except one passage in Daniel, where Gabriel said: "Understand, O son of man, for in the time of the end the vision shall be fulfilled" (Daniel 8:17).

"I beheld therefore in the vision of the night, and lo, one like a son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and he came even to the Ancient of days: and they presented him before him. And he gave him power, and glory, and a kingdom: and all peoples, tribes, and tongues shall serve him: his power is an everlasting power that shall not be taken away: and his kingdom shall not be destroyed" (7:13 sq.).

Jesus referring to himself as 'son of man' makes no sense to me.

[edit on 3-9-2010 by Onboard2]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Beastmaster, thanks for that information. I feel so strongly that DaVinci is showing that the two babies came from Mary's womb. Where her hands are and the shape of the blanket. St. Uriel hid one.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

I believe it's the same in ALL lodges, throughout the World, that we dedicate our Lodge to The Holy Saints John (Baptist and Jerusalem).

As for "worshiping" severed heads: ALL Catholics in that time period worshiped severed heads, hands, fingers (in Dublin a finger in a box) statues, staffs, and so on.. various items, all called "Relics".

So if they did "Worship" a severed head, it wouldn't be ... unusual. Catholics still hold on to a number of Relics.

But anyways, Freemasonry started in England/Scotland/Ireland it was imported to France and the rest of Europe, at least, that's what available history tells us.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join