It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin’s Shopping Spree: Yes, There’s More...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Bose headphones. A birthday dress for Bristol. Campaign documents and e-mails reveal the fine print.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f47f1d07b656.jpg[/atsimg]

In fact, shopping for the Palins involved many campaign staffers: at least eight of the candidate’s aides requested reimbursement for clothing purchases for the Palins that they charged to their personal credit cards. The records of those purchases also reveal that Palin’s later claims—that “we had three days of using clothes that the R.N.C. purchased” (at the Republican National Convention) and that she understood the clothes to have been “loaned to us during the convention”—were completely false. So was the spin of Palin’s campaign spokesperson, who stated on October 22 that “it was always the intent that the clothing go to a charitable purpose after the campaign.” On October 23, in a previously unpublished e-mail (quoted below), Palin wrote that she had no idea the clothes would eventually need to be returned, and suggested that she believed the items were being given to her and her family as gifts. And campaign documents show that, remarkably, the spending continued into October. On the 20th, the day before the clothes-buying sprees were made public, a staffer paid $639.36 for clothes and a coat at Macy’s and Ann Taylor in Reno.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.vanityfair.com...

It appears as if Palin might have been a little more innocent than what we were made to believe.... At first. While Palin may have been "shocked" at first, it certainly didn't stop her later from taking it all in and going for more. In fact, it didn't stop here from lying in an attempt to cover up this huge shopping spree.

I find it to be kind of telling (and funny if it wasn't so tragic) how Palin was supposedly "sticking up" for the little guy, the guy who just lost his job; his home; his livelihood, yet relished the idea of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on clothes not only for her, but also her family.

If this was her behavior while running for national office, could you imagine that kind of behavior in national office? I'm not saying that Palin's government would be any worse than Obama's, just saying... This should be a good window into the actions of the "choices" who are paraded in front of us. What gets me the most, is that Palin is trying to claim the Tea Party movement and while the charter of this movement is to oust government corruption, she has no qualms with stealing money to put fancy clothes on the backs of her family.

Anyway, I suggest that everyone read the article, as it gives good insight into the attitude of American politics.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It wouldn't both most people if they used that card and then went clearance shopping at the nicer stores.

You can get all the 200-300-400-500 $ clothes for like 20-100$ a few months after they launch, so they could have easily gotten the SAME EXACT clothing or similar just as nice stuff for a fraction of the money......

And stuff that probably looks better than the high end stuff.....which IMO is rarely ever worth the purchase.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Also, the purchasing of clothes for her family is absurd, along with the non-clothing items. I understand the need to purchase *nice clothes but there is absolutely no excuse for spending the enormous amount of money that was spent. There is also no excuse for purchasing clothes and other items for her family members. If all they were trying to do, was make Palin look presentable for a run for office, they could have spent a fraction of what they did, and then come clean with it. Instead, it looks like they were trying to buy her off, IMO.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Great!

After a brief respite, the bash Sara Palin threads are back.

Must be due to the articles about her doing a fund raiser in Iowa that has all the liberals terrified of Palin once again. They seem to think she's acting a little like a candidate and that's way too much for any of them to handle without therapy.

Please remind us about the moose hunting and her mentally challenged son next, will you.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

For me, this has nothing to do with the false left-right paradigm. Instead, it has everything to do with American politics as a whole. I consider myself to be a conservative, though I don't have the same consideration for Palin or any of the neo-cons that have taken over the Republican party.

It really doesn't matter if Palin takes office or if Obama stays in office as the two parties are just different sides of the same coin.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Please correct me if I am wrong. I believe that the RNC and DNC are funded by donors. If the donors are fine with the purchases why is it an issue? Tax payers money wasn't used.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ljtg123

Because it is illegal to squander donations for anything other than what was asked. For instance, I can't hold a fundraiser for the victims of 9/11, then use that money for an addition to my home. I couldn't use that money to send to my kids through college, etc..

On a strictly moral grounding, Palin was supposedly preaching against exactly what she was doing herself.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I would also add that this is nothing new, Nancy Pelosi uses a jet to cart her hideous self around on the taxpayers dime. I would be more upset about that than a clothes bill. How much taxpayer money is funding the Obama's vacations? I'm no fan of Palin but a bill for some clothes that were purchased with republican donor money, who really cares and how is this news?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

airspoon.......

NO "VISA" card I know of begins with the numeral "5".

I would think that people who HAVE credit cards would notice this, by now.

"VISA" cards ALWAYS begin with a '4'.

AMEX ALWAYS begin with a '3'

Not sure about MasterCards....THEY might start with a '5'.

I think "DISCOVER' Cards begin with a '6'....

I could be wrong, but THIS is just my initial "BS" take on this thing....sorry.....

I want to add...I think Sarah Palin is a PLASTIC DOLL, and incapable of independent thoughts.

Just to be clear....BUT, a critical analysis of her, MUST ALWAYS be steeped in facts, please......

[edit on 1 September 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah Johnson

Nancy Pelosi in second line to be President after Biden. she flown aound in a jet for that reason and has no choice, they want her protected as much as possible, tell the truth here Jeremiah Johnson.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
It really doesn't matter if Palin takes office or if Obama stays in office as the two parties are just different sides of the same coin.

--airspoon

That's a really good way of putting it.

Who was the last "good" president? JFK?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson
I would also add that this is nothing new, Nancy Pelosi uses a jet to cart her hideous self around on the taxpayers dime. I would be more upset about that than a clothes bill. How much taxpayer money is funding the Obama's vacations? I'm no fan of Palin but a bill for some clothes that were purchased with republican donor money, who really cares and how is this news?

Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House; and is employed by the U.S. Government. Obama is employed by the United States, as Leader and Commander in Chief.

As far as I am aware, Ms. Palin is not, nor has she ever been employed by the United States Federal Goverment.

Hillary Clinton is loaned clothes all the time, by Designers promoting their lines. She returns them as expected. This was reported in Vanity Fair, same source reporting here. (Many times, however, Ms. Clinton is given clothing as "gifts". She typically knows the difference.

Ms. Palin might very well have been unaware that the items were on loan to her. However, once you are informed of the situation, I would hope you would acknowledge your mistake, and promptly return items which have not been made a "gift" to you.

Just saying.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by heyJude

Who was the last "good" president? JFK?

No.

Taft.

Or...Wilson.

NO, actually NONE of them were "good"....the history speaks for itself....(IF ONLY PEOPLE WHO "CLAIM" TO BE 'AMERICANS' WOULD BOTHER to actually READ history.....)

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I'm sure the card depicted is just a photoshopped prop, no one would ever actually display a valid CC on the Interwebs - the carders would have a field day with it. BTW your assessment is accurate, only MC's start with a 5, all Visa's start with a 4.

As to Palin, what would anyone expect? She quit her elected job in the middle of her first term to go chase the RNC cash cow. Principles? Morals? Not from her.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Truth? lol As I recall and if I can still find the news links I believe she was also transporting her friends and family around also on personal trips with that plane. And what about the Obama's? No comment on that one? We both know the hypocrisy here so lets call a spade a spade. There is enough corruption and fleecing going on by both parties so lets not kid ourselves here.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
So what?

Image is everything when running for office. She probably spent a whole lot less on those clothes then Obama did on those fake Greek temple collumns.

They were both part of the campaign ... gotta' look good for the cameras.

The people who sent campaign money turned it over to the politicians to do with as they see fit in order to get elected. Palin had to buff up the clothing ... Obama wanted his Greek Temple ... etc etc ...

This is no big deal.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

AGREED.

Wholeheartedly.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ljtg123
Please correct me if I am wrong. I believe that the RNC and DNC are funded by donors. If the donors are fine with the purchases why is it an issue? Tax payers money wasn't used.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it says something about her character if she believes she is "entitled" to these purchases. A great deal of donated money went to dressing up someone who claimed to be the Average Joe Six Pack. The only thing average about Sarah Palin is her intelligence!

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I see your point but who pays for the government officials trips? Who is paying for the Palins shopping spree? I'm not saying what she did is right but c'mon, do I have to bring up Charlie Rangel and Maxine Waters?? I could keep going here it won't stop with those two.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
So what?
The people who sent campaign money turned it over to the politicians to do with as they see fit in order to get elected. Palin had to buff up the clothing ... Obama wanted his Greek Temple ... etc etc ... This is no big deal.

Don't how how it works down there, but in Canada, donations for political parties generate a charitable receipt...actually for double the donated sum if I'm not mistaken.

The point is that those donations represent taxes not going into the coffers so it is Joe Public picking up the slack. Sure, the family needs to look nice for those photo ops but it appears that somebody got a mite greedy.

and since Palin hasn't left the political fold...she's still fair game, I'd say.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join