It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tests find sickened family has 50.3 ppm of Corexit's 2-butoxyethanol in swimming pool!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

i moved our family from that area(20 mi. south) just over a month ago because i could smell the spill in the air every night,even though we were told that there was no oil in our area...but i grew up close to a refinery and it smelled almost exactly the same and many people i know had severe flu like symptoms from going in the water....please if you live in pasco, hernando,or citrus county be alert

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'm sure we can expect to see more of this from people trying to profit off this tragedy to radicals trying to invent evidence. With 20 billion sitting there to be taken, we may see hundreds of stories like this from both scammers and people who are prone to psychosomatic illnesses. I don't blame the latter as their intent is noble.

I work with a woman who goes to her MD twice a week and then refuses to take the medications she is prescribed. I've actually tested her a couple of times. If I say I feel like I have a cold, by the next day she claims to have a cold and goes to the Doctor. Her desk drawer is full of Prescriptions she refuses to take. She is single singlehandedly bankrupting her Insurance company

You can feign any symptom in front of her and within hours she has the same symptoms. She is great at her job so I keep her on where most companies would fire her. I don't see it as her fault though, because she thinks its real. One Clinic however won't take her anymore and they gave her a lecture. She just found a new MD.

The same is bound to happen all over the Gulf area as there are many people like her. Add to that the people trying to find a way at the money and we will see many of these stories. Then add a few Ambulance Chasers

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I agree. The pools should be tested to see if there is something to this. Nobody will know for sure unless they are tested. Although it is true those chemicals are around our homes as well.

A person who works in Auto Repair is exposed to them constantly, so if they are not complaining or having the same symptoms, you do have to consider the other possibilities.

20 billion is a lot of money to tempt people.

I have a friend who had his business destroyed by a Hurricane and the government let his Insurer get away with paying him 13 cents on the dollar, so I understand what you are saying about the government not helping. I don't think Obama did anyone a favor when he put the money in the hands of bureaucrats. By the time the money gets to the real victims, it will likely be too late and most of it will get eaten up in expenses. Of course they know best, don't they

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
As if the oil spill wasn't bad enough, we've had this larger ongoing impact of the gulf for years. Now, I take my hat off to this guy for having the resolve to do something about it..

Minnesota farmer battles Gulf 'dead zone'
www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by p51mustang
the war against humanity is in full swing. the gulf sabotage and chemical attacks
ongoing. corexit is being sprayed around the planet.

You keep posting this same statement without any evidence to back it up, so I'm going to ask YET AGAIN; On what information do you base this statement?

And why have you made the claim so many times without EVER providing a source?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by russis469

How do you explain the millions who work at Auto Repair who are exposed every day they work and don't have any problems? The contaminants and what is in the air they breath at work is the same? Should not they all be covered in rashes and sick also?

Panic drives people to do all sorts of irrational things.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by Sailor Sam

The lab results and the fact they are sick speaks for itself. What? You work for BP or something - you have a hard time believing they sprayed this poison! BP has done nothing but lie, destroy and kill - where have you been?

I just want to say I find this approach very distasteful, and highly counter-productive to fact-finding. SailorSam brings up a valid point, and one that is worth considering. He doesnt say anything about not believing they spray corexit. He is saying we should question EVERYTHING, which is what intelligent people do.

This constant epithet of 'shill' thrown at anyone who asks relevant questions (as opposed to the posts that are 100 percent in agreement) is counter to the entire scientific process. Dont attack people who ask questions. Counter their questions with informed points.

Screaming 'shill' (or some variant there of) only makes the entire forum look juvenile, and keeps you from having an open, challenged mind.

The scientific process is BUILT on aggressive peer-review. Learn about it sometime.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I will say this one more time. I simply want people to be aware that this has happened. Maybe a few folks who read the article will say to themselves "Hey, that's happening to me. Maybe I SHOULD HAVE MY POOL WATER TESTED."

And you know what else? If anyone out there is clever enough to beat BP at the $$$ game, I say more power to 'em! But from what I've read (and this is not up for debate here in this thread) is that BP has become MUCH more stringent about paying out claims. If you wanna debate that, start another thread.

Really. My entire intent is only for each and every one of to do for yourselves. Test your own water. Take your own samples. That's it.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The links finally started working for me and after reading I'm more inclined to think there is something to this. Still with a note of skepticism though.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by skyflower

OK. I don't do FB, not because I think it is a lesser source of info but, really, I'm barely on speaking terms with my computer. I can't speak to the worth of FB for that reason. I do hunt down alternate news because I know the msm will smile, nod their heads & hope to draw attention away from this event.

I will remind everyone though who, or more accurately what, got to the truth behind John Belushy (sp?) death while msm was happy to blow it off. I believe that was the Enquirer. Also not a place I would have run to for the real news. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the OJ Simpson case, rags like Enquirer, had been lining pockets of the silent masses in Calif. That gave them a head start on the rest of the news sources.

Yes, I see their headlines while in the check out at the local grocery & have yet to see the end of the world or alien babies popping out of the trees...but rule them out entirely? No. Thus far in all my years I've not felt compelled to take cash out of my pocket to buy a copy. Just like I won't be joining up with all those already on FB. But I'm glad someone is paying attention. From there the rest of us will just have to do the searching for ourselves.

Really, is anyone surprised to learn swimming pools, lakes, rivers, possibly in the soi, might be contaminated? I wish I could say it's a surprise. I wish I could say there won't be any negative consequense to the miss-use of a dangerous toxin when the manufacturer has no idea what it might do. I suspect over the next few decades we will find out what it can do.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

This all screams hoax...

But are you saying that if people figure out how to rip off BP that's ok?

Where do I get the test? I have 275 gallons of rain water that hasn't emptied all summer:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Note the Sector B tank: It's not tied in to any irrigation like the Sector A tank. Tank A empties in about 3 days of watering when it doesn't rain. Tank B is in effect only used to wash my hands every now and then. It was setup last year when my garden was smaller and could be hand watered. Now it's huge and I use the hose when it doesn't rain. It'll take a big ordeal to move it up onto the loading dock with a new downspout tied in to be able to gravity feed any irrigation with it. In the spring it was nearly emptied as it didn't rain much at all during seedling season, and I only water seedlings with a watering can.

When it rains water enters the top but just overflows right back out. If there is a store of rain water anywhere in Tampa this has to be it.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Actually, COREXIT is not like regular dish detergent. It is an EPA regulated dispersant. www.epa.gov...

www.nalco.com...

SECTIONS 311 AND 312 - MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET REQUIREMENTS (40 CFR 370) :
Our hazard evaluation has found this product to be hazardous. The product should be reported under the following
indicated EPA hazard categories:
X Immediate (Acute) Health Hazard

Although BP allegedly stopped using the chemicals more than a month ago, area residents claim it is still spraying Corexit, a chemical dispersant, from airplanes and boats.

Much of the furor can be traced back to Bob Naman, an analytical chemist who lives on the Gulf, in Mobile, Ala., and who owns his own lab. Naman initially became involved in the controversy through his neighbors, who were concerned about oil in their water. "People started walking in and asking me to test their water," he said in an interview with DailyFinance.

Soon, Naman was being sought out by the news. WKRG News 5, a CBS affiliate based in Mobile, asked him to test several water samples from various locations in their viewing area. He found that the samples contained between 16 and 221 parts per million of oil, often in water that appeared clean. In mid-August, while testing a sample from Margaret Long, a resident of Cotton Bayou, Ala., he also found 13.3 parts per million of Corexit, a chemical dispersant that -- according to Coast Guard commander Thad Allen -- BP had stopped using in mid-July.

There are actually two versions of Corexit: 9527 and 9500. While both compounds have been linked to a variety of health problems, the first version, Corexit 9527, is particularly toxic:

According to Nalco Holdings (NLC), which makes the compounds, BP stopped using Corexit 9527 in mid-April. But Bob Naman disagrees. Some of the water samples he's analyzed contain significant quantities of 2-butyoxyethanol, a major ingredient in Corexit 9527 that isn't included in Corexit 9500. Long's water sample also contained 2-butyoxyethanol.

www.dailyfinance.co.uk...

[edit on 30-8-2010 by burntheships]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

There is mercury in most of the corn syrup in all foods.

www.washingtonpost.com...

There is fluoride in most cities water.

www.fluoridealert.org...

There is BPA in quite few plastic containers.

en.wikipedia.org...

There is rBGH in most dairy products.

www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com...

www.preventcancer.com...

GMO soy, corn and other plants cause organ damage in lab rats.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Nutrasweet has been proven to cause brain damage.

www.naturalnews.com...

articles.mercola.com...

These are just the ones we know about and I am sure there are
other issues.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Ok. I'm going to ASSUME, for the sake of good will, that you aren't accusing ME of hoax. I'm going to ASSUME, for the sake of good will, that you ASSUME I've been taken in by the writer of the article I linked to the OP.

ASSUME = to make an ASS out of U and ME. Yes, I get it. I'm trying, really hard, to be civil.

Am I saying it's ok for someone to

figure out how to rip off BP

Yes I am. And that is my own personal opinion which is not up for debate.

Do I think that's what's going on? No.

Where do you get the test? There are 3 separate and different links in this thread. Figure it out. I'm done.

We are each entitled to our own opinion. Mine is to inform as many folks as I can that they should DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH AND TEST THEIR OWN WATER.

I'm still not sure what yours is.

When I posted this story this morning, I thought it was the perfect ATS thread. There was proof of the original claim right in the opening post. I guess there's just no pleasing some folks.

Excuse my harshness, but I just don't get your point.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Thank you for all the links. This has what? to do with the OP?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Unless you're part of the article it isn't your hoax, you'd just be parroting it...

But then to encourage people to commit criminal fraud... that sure calls a lot into question about yourself.

My purpose? To expose frauds, hoaxsters, hucksters and fearmongers at every chance I get.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
What's the pool made of, fiberglass / acrylic resin? Did they paint their house... finish the deck around the pool or a fence? ...use cleaning products or ink or Simple Green or Windex, or make-up products or spray plant killers / herbicides?

Uses

2-Butoxyethanol is a solvent in paints and surface coatings, as well as cleaning products and inks. Other products that contain 2-butoxyethanol include acrylic resin formulations, asphalt release agents, firefighting foam, leather protectors, oil spill dispersants, bowling pin and lane degreaser, and photographic strip solutions. Other products containing 2-butoxyethanol as a primary ingredient include some whiteboard cleaners, liquid soaps, cosmetics, dry cleaning solutions, lacquers, varnishes, herbicides, and latex paints.

2-Butoxyethanol is frequently found in popular cleaning products. It provides cleaning power and the characteristic odor of Windex and other glass cleaners. It is the main ingredient of many home, commercial and industrial cleaning solutions, such as Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner.

I'm not saying it's not Corexit but seems there are plenty of other sources around the house.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Nothing like a big dose of fear mongering to start ones day!

2-butoxyethanol is used in hundreds of cleaning products, just because it was found in moderate levels (100ppm is when it becomes a real health concern) in a single swimming pool DOES NOT mean it is from Corexit, it is most likely from one of the other several hundred cleaning products readily available to the general public.

If it was corexit, why didn't the other components show up in the lab tests?

Such as docusate sodium or propylene glycol?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

One explanation could be that COREXIT 9527 is the culprit as opposed to COREXIT 9500.

BP and Nalco - the manufacturer of Corexit - have said that dispersant containing 2-butoxyethanol is no longer being sprayed in the Gulf. As the New York Times noted in June:

Corexit 9527, used in lesser quantities during the earlier days of the spill response, is designated a chronic and acute health hazard by EPA. The 9527 formula contains 2-butoxyethanol, pinpointed as the cause of lingering health problems experienced by cleanup workers after the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill, and propylene glycol, a commonly used solvent.

Corexit 9500, described by [Nalco's spokesman] as the "sole product" Nalco has manufactured for the Gulf since late April, contains propylene glycol and light petroleum distillates, a type of chemical refined from crude oil.
Moreover, Naman said that he searched for the main ingredient in the less toxic 9500 version - propylene glycol - but there was none present. In other words, Naman found the most toxic ingredient in 9527 and did not find the chemical marker for 9500.
www.washingtonsblog.com...

This chemist went and took photos recently, and just posted the huge containers of COREXIT 9527 that are still being accessed in the area of the Gulf Oil Spill. Pictures are available at the site, I might upload them later.

However, Naman told me that he went to Dauphin Island, Alabama, last night. He said that he personally saw huge 250-500 gallon barrels all over the place with labels which said:
Corexit 9527
Naman took the following picture of the label (click on photo for larger image):

Now, I dont know...hummm...BP is a convicted serial environmental murderer. Would they lie? Why would they lie? Have they ever lied before? Have they been caught red handed?

Yes, for money, yes, yes and yes.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by burntheships]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Chad

I have always enjoyed your posts. I find you to be the voice of reason. Short, sweet and to the point. But, really! Fearmongering?

It IS a component of COREXIT. They WERE sick. They DID send it to a lab. They DO live on the Gulf coast. It WAS in their pool.

Where did I err?

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join