It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tests find sickened family has 50.3 ppm of Corexit's 2-butoxyethanol in swimming pool!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Hi from another Floridian,
Has anyone here who is talking about testing Florida pools heard anything about Corexit reaching the East Coast of South Florida? I live in Palm Beach county, and was wondering if we'd face this same kind of risk somehow as the Tampa folks, even though we're on the other side.

I can only imagine that it could travel around the bend of Florida through the ocean currents...

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
What I find odd is that the chlorine in the pool didn't break the substance down, particulalry where this situation seems to have evolved over a period of time. Chlorine is a powerful oxidizer and breaks down organic chemicals pretty quickly. Odd.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by formernewager

Hi, it SEEMS that www.testtherain.com is doing it for free. Please u2u cloudsinthesky for further info. If I were you, I'd test it.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This is very bothersome news, my father has a home outside of Homosassa, Florida, although since he is a snowbird he isn't there now, but will contact my brother who lives in the area and tell him to test his and my Dad's water. Homosassa is about seven miles from the Gulf but in that seven mile area are swamps and rivers that feed from the Gulf.

This is just the tip of the iceberg I am afraid, Homosassa is about 75 miles North of Tampa in Citrus County.

Edit to add, my father did not come back to Michigan this year, since he is not well he is staying with my brother in Brooksville which is South of Homosassa.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by p51mustang

Its interesting to see what been going on in the gulf over the last decade.
The tragedy at Katrina, and I'm talking about the lack of response to the situation.
And now this oil spill + "fix" of corexit, and that leaves us with the possibility of what it will do to the ecosystem.

This corexit spill could be the next big thing for the disaster capitalist.

The whole area of the gulf is extremely valuable (resources, location between NA and SA, its on the equator, etc.

Its almost as if someone wants it?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
What I find odd is that the chlorine in the pool didn't break the substance down, particulalry where this situation seems to have evolved over a period of time. Chlorine is a powerful oxidizer and breaks down organic chemicals pretty quickly. Odd.

I have to say I was curious about the same exact thing. I hope someone responds to this particular point. I am very interested in why too.. Though the bad news is, it may have broken it down and that was what was left. If thats the case, then it is even worse then what was reported.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Most floridians have a water filteration system. The water down there comes from a sulphur tasting aquifer( I think thats what it is. I just know that the water must be filtered as it is nasty tasting and smelling)

You might want to try testing a filter to see what comes up. Even better test it against an old filter from before this happened. If it is in the water, the filteration system should show signs of something.

Anyone live in florida notice anything funny about the filter for their water system. This could be color or lack of color. Not sure what you would look for but any change might signify something.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by jlafleur02]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

Interesting thought. My water system is older and uses chlorine. We don't drink it, but of course we shower in it and brush our teeth in it.

I don't understand chemistry enough to know what that really means...

Hey! I'll post it on FACEBOOK and see what happens!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just a bit of realism here folks:

One swimming pool, well north of Tampa?
I am not a mouthpiece for TPTB but lets look at this realistically:
1 - Just one swimming pool?
2 - Any idea where the pool owner works?
3 - Can you get Corexit if you are in the industry?
4 - Is the pool owner a disgruntled oil company empoyee who wants to make a point?
Remember the USA is the land of "ambulance chasing lawyers".
Maybe the pool owner sees a quick million or two in his bank account.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just a bit of realism here folks:

One swimming pool, well north of Tampa?
I am not a mouthpiece for TPTB but lets look at this realistically:
1 - Just one swimming pool?
2 - Any idea where the pool owner works?
3 - Can you get Corexit if you are in the industry?
4 - Is the pool owner a disgruntled oil company empoyee who wants to make a point?
Remember the USA is the land of "ambulance chasing lawyers".
Maybe the pool owner sees a quick million or two in his bank account.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

1) Did you read the article?
2) Did you click any links?
3) Do you want this info spoon fed to you?
4) Do you realize lab results were included in the OP?

Hope that answers your questions!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 30-8-2010 by ThatDGgirl]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl

1) Did you read the article?
2) Did you click any links?
3) Do you want this info spoon fed to you?
4) Do you realize lab results were included in the OP?

Hope that answers your questions!

Still, the point Sailor Sam is making is a good point. The potential for fraud when they are giving away billions of dollars is high. For any test to be valid, it has to be collected under strict guidelines, and it has to be corroborated by some other factor. One test in one pool will be suspicious, but if many of the residents send in samples, then the information is much more credible.

As for the posters asking about Chlorine. Chlorine does not affect the Corexit any more than Bleach and Laundry detergent affect one another. The chlorine is relatively weak in a swimming pool, and it would not cause any affects on oil or Corexit. Think about cleaning oil up a pan of bacon grease with bleach. It won't work very well, but if you add Dawn dishwashing soap, then it works great! Dawn is a dispersant. Bleach is Chlorine.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Somebody always has to be the first. My ENTIRE point of this thread was for any affected person (read that that as any person who lives in the perimeter of the Gulf) should have their own water tested. Period.

I showed you what one family found. Do. It. For. Yourselves.

EDIT to add: Thank you, Getready for all of your posts here. You are an excellent champion for the cause.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by ThatDGgirl]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If we could ever get the facts straight in these sensationalist posts / articles...

Before I begin I'd like to remind people of hoaxer society USA. A look at UFO culture, and even people that hoaxed 9/11 as examples of peoples willingness to hoax in order to get attention on their pitiful lives, and / or to further their beliefs / cause.

That said, the headline is false. It takes well over an hour to get from Tampa to Homosassa. And that's taking the toll laden Veterans... with a speed pass, assuming you miss most of the lights in Tampa on your way to Veterans, and then after you get on US98. It's more like 1.5-2 hours. That's pretty significant.

From there it's interesting that they claimed that they've never used Simple Green, which contains about 4% 2-Butoxyethanol. I never knew SG contains that, and now that I know it does, all of these claims about Corexit being the worst thing ever are mute: I've used Simple Green for years. We go thru it like water at my work. I've had my arms all the way down into a laundry sink with it about half diluted, hundreds if not thousands of times.

Never, not one single time has Simple Green ever irritated my skin, throat, sinuses, face, lungs, etc. Period.

Some facts: 2-Butoxyethanol can be carcinogenic... and so can antioxidants (the best stuff for fighting and preventing cancer) if over-used.

High Doses of Antioxidants Can Mutate Your Stem Cells
io9.com...

Hold off on the megadoses of antioxidant vitamins like C and E. A study by researchers at Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute shows that you can overdose on these health aids, and the result could be mutated stem cells that cause cancer.

There's no cause for alarm if you're staying within suggested doses of your vitamins or nutritional supplements. This study looked only at what happens when people take much more than the standard amounts of antioxidants.

Read the 2-Butoxyethanol wikipedia citations:

In rats it was carcinogenic after "sustained inhalation of high concentrations"... that is sustained perpetual breathing of it...

Groups of 10 male and 10 female rats were exposed to 2-butoxyethanol by inhalation at concentrations of 0, 31, 62.5, 125, 250, or 500 ppm, 6 hours per day, 5 days per week for 14 weeks. One female rat in the 250 ppm group was killed moribund during week 8; four females in the 500 ppm group were killed moribund during week 1 and one during week 5.
ntp.niehs.nih.gov...

Now you might think that proves that working with it for 14 weeks with it in the air 6 hours per day 5 days a week, but there's a major flaw there: Rats only live for about 3 years. That's whats great about rats because their life cycle is so much faster that things happen multiple times faster in them compared to humans who live an average of 70 years or so.

From there the weight ratios... The average rat weighs about a pound, while the average human weighs 150 pounds or more. That's a 150:1 ratio, meaning 51ppm is like nothing to a human compared to an average of 200ppm to a rat. Simple math would make to about 30,000ppm, over several decades, to reproduce the conditions the rats were exposed to. Another factor would be if the rats were fed healthy, cancer fighting diets. If not, then that skews the results.

Would I recommend someone with cancer to wash their hands with the stuff? No. But should we go insane over 51ppm in a pool? Hell no.

The pool doesn't prove it was from Corexit. They'd need more lab results pools and other contained bodies of water for it to be scientific. Plain and simple. Also, why didn't they find other components from Corexit in the pool?

And so on:

2-Butoxyethanol usually decomposes in the presence of air within a few days and has not been identified as a major environmental contaminant. It is not known to bioaccumulate.[14]
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 30-8-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It's great to know that you guys are getting organised down there, that's exactly what's needed.

It seems clear to me the US government really is attacking its people, which means it has declared war on the people.

Take care, be smart, be safe.

PS. Please do read up about bicarbonate of soda for keeping your body's Ph levels balanced - that will help the body to better detox the chemicals. Also, ingestible clay (such as bentonite) and zeolite can absorb huge amounts of toxins from the body. Sole, made from himalayan rock salt can also help with heavy metal detox. If you get the chance to do a liver detox, that will also help the liver to cope with the onslaught of toxins.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If this is true, all of the pools in the area will test the same. If it is an extortion attempt against BP they will test clean. I don't know which it is, so I won't comment. I suspect none of you know either.

Common sense dictates pools in the same area need to be tested to make sure the chemicals were not placed in that pool in some sort of criminal scheme. 50.3ppm sounds more like it was poured into the pool. If it arrived airborne I'd expect more like < 1 ppm. 50 ppm sounds a little suspicious.

Edited to say, now that I've read more this is just more sensationalized crap.

[edit on 8/30/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Good thinking.

The fact that this is the first reported pool rash case, over a month after it was capped, should say it all.

The Pool-Rash Challenge: Why hasnt there been countless reports of pool rashes from all around the closer areas of the Gulf all along?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Blaine, thanks for chiming in. I hope EVERYONE gets their water tested. I know they won't, but a few 100 would be flat awesome. We have had hella crazy rain here this summer and for ME, that was the biggest thing I'm worried about. I ordered my test kit from testtherain.com today. I hope many others will do the same. KITS ARE FREE

Having lived thru many hurricanes here, and experiencing the complete and utter lack of help from the govt, I posted this in hopes that the people of the Gulf coast would take matters into their own hands and send their own water out for testing at an independent lab.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The lab results and the fact they are sick speaks for itself. What? You work for BP or something - you have a hard time believing they sprayed this poison! BP has done nothing but lie, destroy and kill - where have you been?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join