It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tests find sickened family has 50.3 ppm of Corexit's 2-butoxyethanol in swimming pool!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I can't watch the video from work, but if it is like all the other videos showing how it breaks down a cell membrane, then it isn't a concern. Every single soap or "dispersant" breaks down cell membranes. That is exactly their purpose. That is how they make us "clean." That is why our skin is layered with dead skin cells, and that is why soaps are not for ingestion. Although the mucousy lining protects our cells pretty good also.

The OP still has a good story, and it is worth following up on, but the fact that Corexit does exactly what any dispersant or soap is supposed to do is not a contributing factor to this development. No offense to burntheships. This crap is being spread far and wide, and there is a possibility that Corexit is toxic. It is only this one aspect about cell membrane breakdown that is being misrepresented.

Edit to add:

Yes, it emulsifies the membrane. Here's a site that explains the actions of a number of reagents used to break down membranes for DNA extraction:
dwb.unl.edu...

The detergent will act without heat. There are a number of biological grade detergents available, such as SDS, Triton-X100, Tween, and Saponin, that have different strengths as detergents. You can use them in very low concentrations just to make the membrane more permeable, such as to get in antibodies for immunocytochemistry, or you can use higher concentrations to break down the membrane to extract the DNA.

Because detergent will break down cell membranes, we have to be VERY careful in the lab to make sure all detergent residue is fully rinsed off glassware before using it.

Explanation from a physics forum. Just one of many answers.

[edit on 30-8-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thank you! I've seen that vid before and I added it to the OP.

This is really the stuff that nightmares are made of! Thanks for your help!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Pardon me for saying, but you're pulling most of this information of FACEBOOK???

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

Yep. There are many citizens groups who have formed over the last few months (re:the oil mess) and they're posting their findings and their photos in real time. In all honesty, I've seen more "real news" on facebook lately than I've seen here.

How bout THEM apples?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
and nobody yet in prison for this poisoning ???
what are they waiting for up there ???
in USA you already get in jail for stupid things but for this murdering ( yes it is murder because they know the great toxicity of that corexit poison ) nobody is responsible ???
in jail with those BP people !!! I am really very angry and I call here for some kind of sharia for them : eye for eye .... anyway, I really hope everybody up there, all those families with children go well but I am afraid this will not be the case in future : it is a very big shame !!!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

I think those apples stink. Facebook isn't a valid scientific study forum imho.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by p51mustang

So very true!!!!!

I don't think that this situation is unclear to BP and our government. They know very well that everything is being poisoned as they keep spraying this crap in large and continuous quantities. It doesn't make sense UNTIL you realize that they all know people are going to die from it. ALL of these things are deliberate. "They" are poisoning us through every means possible. Our air, water, land, food and minds are being poisoned EVERY DAY and ALL DAY long.

This is not conspiracy folks… "They" are desperate to kill off a lot of people and FAST! It has become so obvious and they just don't care who knows it.

They see the future and know that the people are getting angrier and more desperate. (Revolution?)

They are trying to kill, sterilize us and our children and keep everyone sick and weak (or dead) so that we can't fight them back.

This is happening all over the world, not just here…

And if you think I'm just paranoid, then it's already too late to try and convince you. You, who thinks that our government would NEVER do such a thing to us… You, who thinks that this kind of stuff only happens in movies or some third world country… You, who thinks you're safe.

Only YOU can wake yourself up. I'm just knocking on your door.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

This is the US. Rich and Powerful people/corporations/politicians do not go to jail here!

Plus, there are very few, if any, real and documented health effects so far. I don't doubt that they may be coming soon. Plus, the ecological disaster is abhorrant and disgusting. But, calling it murder at this juncture is just fear-mongering and it does more harm than good in the grand scheme of things, because it is so easy to argue effectively against it.

Right now, it is negligence, it is an economical and ecological disaster on a grand scale that won't be understood for at least a decade. It proves that our government didn't learn anything from Katrina, because the response to this disaster was even worse than Katrina. But, so far, it is not murder. Five years from now, I might agree with you, but there is no data for that right now.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marrr

I think those apples stink. Facebook isn't a valid scientific study forum imho.

Within those groups, just like within ATS, there is plenty of scientific and empirical data from verifiable sources. There is nothing wrong with using Facebook as a source as long as the data checks out.

As far as I know, the only place in the country that the proprietary ingredients of Corexit have been made public is right here on ATS! The MSDS is missing a key ingredient, but ATSers found it and put it up in their thread! Sometimes alternative news is the best news.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

No, it's not. Did you actually read the OP? The folks who were featured in the story gradually figured out that something was wrong with their pool. They paid out of their own pocket to send a sample to a lab...

The Scheblers found Robert Naman, a Mobile, Alabama chemist who’s performed multiple tests (1, 2, 3) for WKRG Channel 5, also out of Mobile.

Is THAT scientific enough for you?

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

This is the US. Rich and Powerful people/corporations/politicians do not go to jail here!

Plus, there are very few, if any, real and documented health effects so far. I don't doubt that they may be coming soon. Plus, the ecological disaster is abhorrant and disgusting. But, calling it murder at this juncture is just fear-mongering and it does more harm than good in the grand scheme of things, because it is so easy to argue effectively against it.

Right now, it is negligence, it is an economical and ecological disaster on a grand scale that won't be understood for at least a decade. It proves that our government didn't learn anything from Katrina, because the response to this disaster was even worse than Katrina. But, so far, it is not murder. Five years from now, I might agree with you, but there is no data for that right now.

i highly suggest you watch the video burntheships provided.
i had never seen it before, quite an eye opener if true.
my understanding of dispersants, and in particular COREXIT, is little to none.

but what i got out of this movie is that the chemicals in the COREXIT disrupts the oil in a way that it mixes with water.
then the film goes on the say that our cells are protected with a oil like coating as well.
the spreading, touching and injesting of this stuff could basically screw with your basic body structure.

at least that was my understanding, correct me if i'm wrong.

take care

[edit on 30-8-2010 by kn0wh0w]

[edit on 30-8-2010 by kn0wh0w]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
For anyone interested in another lab address, here it is...
lab address

It's from an FB group called "Testing The Gulf Water - Citizen's Initiative"

I think it's become patently obvious that the 'true' reporting of this event has turned into a massive DIY project. The citizens groups have nothing to lose by printing the truth. And since more than 90% of them are volunteers, there's no worry about profiteering.

Doesn't the internet just rock????

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
Thanks to you both. I'm so upset about this. I live in SW Florida 11 miles from the coast. I'm in the process of getting info for where to send my pool sample. Will keep you updated. I'm ready to start packing!

Hey ThatDGgirl, I live in Tampa - please let us know if you find a good place that one could send a pool water sample to. I have many friends with pools all over the place here in florida and would like to give them the heads up about this. Thanks!!!!!

Great post, by the way - I had a feeling this wasn't over!

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I'm not criticizing your message, just the package you're delivering it in. I can't take "Scientific Study Proves Poison Present" seriously when the next post down is "Folding Laundry"! ! !.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by skyflower

There are links to 2 different labs. I believe one is in the post immediately above yours..

Spread the word. People need to know.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

You are not wrong, it is just not that serious. The dish soap in your home does exactly the same thing. Any soap that you use to wash your hands, clothes, dishes, or car.....they are all "dispersants." They work by "surrounding" the oil and/or dirt with their own molecules and allowing water to flush them away. They have the added benefit of softening the cell membrane on bacteria and causing cell death to those bacteria. That is why handwashing works as well as it does. It breaks down the oil/dirt/grime and flushes it away with water to expose your fresh, true skin, and it kills the bacteria that are present by breaking down their cell membrane and spilling out their contents and flushing them away as well.

The combination of oil/dispersant is no different than having either one of them without the other.

I will watch the video when I get home, just in case it has anything new that I haven't seen on the other videos.

And, for the record, I am not saying that Corexit is harmless. It has much more than just your typical soap. It also has astringents and harsher chemicals. The methane/lpg/oil/dispersant combination in the water is surely having disastrous effects.

If you want to be fear mongered, here are some things you may not have even thought of, and they are guaranteed to already be happening!
1. The oil sheen on top of the water is surely having unknown consequences such as raising the surface temperature of the sea, and keeping it warmer longer into the winter months.

2. The filter fish, plankton, brill, shell fish, etc. They are already ingesting the dispersed oil, and they are already being eaten by bigger game fish, and those game fish are already travelling hundreds of miles outside the affected area, and they are already making it to a plate in a restaurant near you!

3. 10's of 1000's of fishermen are not out fishing. They are laying boom and making triple their normal daily income for not doing their normal jobs. All that sea life that they typically harvest is not being harvested. The populations of that life are exploding, and also migrating away from the oil. The entire ecosystem is in a state of change like we have never seen before!

4. Currently, a "false economy" has been set up by BP. They are infusing money into an area that has lost its primary source of income. Tourists are gone, the housing market is a wreck, the support industries like restaurants, bars, dry cleaning, and grocery stores are suffering. So, BP steps in and employs all those people for a limited time. They create a divide among the population. Some are starving while others are making triple their normal income. It has rearranged the entire economic landscape of the area, and it is temporary. At some point, they will pull the plug, and the cards will all come crashing down!! It will have a cascade effect along the coast, and it will also cause an influx of migrants to the North looking for work. The end effect cannot even be fathomed at this point.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyflower

Originally posted by ThatDGgirl
Thanks to you both. I'm so upset about this. I live in SW Florida 11 miles from the coast. I'm in the process of getting info for where to send my pool sample. Will keep you updated. I'm ready to start packing!

Hey ThatDGgirl, I live in Tampa - please let us know if you find a good place that one could send a pool water sample to. I have many friends with pools all over the place here in florida and would like to give them the heads up about this. Thanks!!!!!

Great post, by the way - I had a feeling this wasn't over!

READ PEOPLE!!

www.testtherain.com...

Go to that link, read up, join as a volunteer, request the sample kit, scoop some water out of your pool. Send it in, and voila! A typical water test is about $500 and it won't detect specifically Corexit. It will detect the dispersant ingredients, but it won't guarantee that it is from Corexit, and you won't be able to make a claim against BP.

If you send the sample to the ATSers project, they will be able to specifically test for Corexit, and it will only cost you the return postage. Save money, get better results, and become part of a project that actually matters.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Pardon me for saying, but you're pulling most of this information of FACEBOOK???

It is true that most folks use Facebook as a place to chat, play games, and waste time......BUT, if you look past that, there are actually people using this forum as a place to help spread info from the perspective of real people, everyday people........ I personally treat it like any other source of info - Don't believe everything you read, but don't discredit it either - check it out - Would you believe this if it had come from a major news station? It is just like ATS - I've heard folks say "you're getting that info from ATS?" again, there are great threads and not so great threads.......DISCERNMENT

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Thanks! I just posted that link to my FACEBOOK !!! It's just all about sharing information

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I'm not criticizing your message, just the package you're delivering it in. I can't take "Scientific Study Proves Poison Present" seriously when the next post down is "Folding Laundry"! ! !.

Why not????? There is great info in both posts - I see that you are posting here at ATS......same difference - you just choose what you're interested in and then go from there - I don't understand your logic?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join