It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CGI or real ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This clip gives me a feeling of computer generated imagery, especialy when this "guy" appears in full mode. Any ideas how to debunk this ?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I seriously think you need to stop visiting YouTube so much, especially for your thread topics.

As for your most recent YT vid - it is pure fakery.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm going to go with 100% CGI. why the movement is just too odd, the lighting is slightly different and you can see they did a bad job with it, by the "fog" looking stuff. Its just not natural looking.

EDIT

Defiantly CG or at least a Green screen, you can see right angles on the fog for sure. They didn't mask stuff properly. I know someone who does animation and CGI and they've done a much better job in first year.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by Xiamara]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
IMHO, it's BS. I've never heard of an 'apparition' appearing like that before.
I'm not even going to go as far as to say CGI, but more a camera 'trick', is my best guess. Could be wrong though, I'm no CGI expert or student for that matter...

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Seriously, are you just going through youtube and posting the videos you see there?

If so, I have one for you too... I think it might very well be a REAL unicorn!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

first it looks like original footage in a bunker or some middle east tomb.
but when this thing is fully manifested, it looks a bit artificial to me.
besides, it is a poor quality.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by YourPopRock

if i find a video that i cant debunk at first or second sight, i bring it here to find answers.
is there anything wrong with that ?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Low grade video in low light...

...it's quite possible it's a real person with no effects, it's just the video camera was unable to properly resolve the image of the moving person under those conditions and so they appear translucent. I've seen this problem happen before and it's a pretty neat effect, but hard to replicate at will.

Video uses various tricks to compress data, one of those is to repeat pixels of data in the image until it receives new instructions to change the pixel. Under these low light conditions, with a fast moving person in frame, the camera might have misinterpreted the data and kept repeating many of the empty space pixels in many of the frames where it should have been changing the color data to that of the person moving through the frame.

Video, especially low-grade video, is an imperfect technology. Unlike analogue systems (film), it can easily be tricked or make mistakes and the thing you shoot may not be exactly what you see during playback.

Higher grade video is much more true and will pretty much show you exactly what you shoot, but even there can be problems. I have a very high grade camera, but even then under certain conditions I get weird clipping effects when I pan too quickly. Reality doesn't clip like that when I move my head, but on my $3500 camera, it does.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

If you look at around 2 seconds in there is a noticeable straight line in the fog. Indicating a masking error. I know this since My CGI buddies pointed it out during twilight. (yes I saw that BS, its fun to dub over and make fun of)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

the more i watch the video, the more i find weird things, for example the change between foggy and manifest seems assembled.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

No there isn't.

Some people here think they have "seen it all" and when something comes back that is to them obvious, they may get a little frustrated. Its the ego; what can ya do?

I have not seen this video, but to me it look fake. The ghost itself looks like lines of static.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

oh, thanks for the expertise

Video uses various tricks to compress data, one of those is to repeat pixels of data in the image until it receives new instructions to change the pixel.

is there a way to avoid this compressing ? or does every digital camera do that ?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The camera is being held by someone, its not on a tripod or anything, and unless the camera's VTR head is dirty as crap, the video has been ran though a degradation filter to make it far less crisp and focused. they did it that way so their cheesy edit blends in much better because of the over all blurriness the video filter provides. CG no doubt. and the framing around the first subject is more like a cloud, which leads me to believe they just did a blotch and not even proper masking. I mean, its kind of cool, but it is something they did for fun.

It might actually be on a tripod because after watching it again, it almost looks like they were using the "watercolor" effect in Windows freaking movie maker, haha. because of the nature of the "water color" effect, it could make the camera LOOK like its being panned left and right when in actuality its still but it is actually the effect compensating for the change in light levels as they walk by the light source.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by drsmooth23]

They are coming for our wookies!!!!!

[edit on 27-8-2010 by drsmooth23]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wow someone actually flagged this thread.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
Video uses various tricks to compress data, one of those is to repeat pixels of data in the image until it receives new instructions to change the pixel. Under these low light conditions, with a fast moving person in frame, the camera might have misinterpreted the data and kept repeating many of the empty space pixels in many of the frames where it should have been changing the color data to that of the person moving through the frame.

Sorry mate, but I think you're getting a bit confused here. A video camera doesn't use compression when its recording. Compression only occurs when the data from the camera is transferred to hard disk in order to save space on the disk.

I work for a TV broadcaster in their post production department and I really know what I'm talking about. We usse Avid and Final Cut Pro.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

you mean that contrast (light/shadow) border ? looks to me like the shadow of the fog.
but if it is a shadow it should be to the other side, because the light comes from the door.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Slippery Jim

Compression only occurs when the data from the camera is transferred to hard disk in order to save space on the disk.

how do you stop the data to be compressed when transferred to the harddisk ?
is there a "switch" to store the data like it is ?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by Slippery Jim

Compression only occurs when the data from the camera is transferred to hard disk in order to save space on the disk.

how do you stop the data to be compressed when transferred to the harddisk ?
is there a "switch" to store the data like it is ?

you set compression levels when ingesting the footage in real time through the firewire, unless your using a P2 card, which acts like a big jump drive, and its uncompressed in p2 format.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

The camera is being held by someone, its not on a tripod or anything, and unless the camera's VTR head is dirty as crap, the video has been ran though a degradation filter to make it far less crisp and focused.

interesting, how do you differ, if its low resolution digital recording or a camera with magnetic tape ?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
ok, heres the deal

if the source is a reputable place, say, CNN, or perhaps some documentry by a serious organization, hell, even ghost hunters, then its cool to post here and break apart what it is.

if its a random clip on youtube that looks just oh so great, then its just CG...

youtube is only as good as the source...you can do ANYTHING with video now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join