It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My friend changed history

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
your story is confusing..
close friend, who you just met, went to 1963 to stop nuclear fallout that never took place in 1963 anyway?

is he a close friend? or someone you just met? now hes your new neighbor?

I think you should re write and make clear who is speaking when.

I can re-interpret the experience more simply:

1) I went to a bar
2) A guy that I've never seen before sits beside me
3) He tells me the story. Everything about me is what he told me.
4) I have NO reccollection of anything he told me
5) He says he will watch over me, his old friend
6) He moves in next door.

I apologize for not posting more detail, but I was at work when I wrote that original post. Believe me, I've been thinking about it almost non-stop since he told me. The logic of what he told me seems to follow that:

There is but a single timeline that exists. It can be thought of as the tape inside of a VHS cassette. If you were to go back in time, and not be the catalyst for future changing events, then you are like the normal
operation of the read-heads in the tape (i.e you are not damaging the tape as you travel along it) and so, when the tape plays out again, it plays out exactly the same, based on causality... we'll imagine that if he
went back in time and had little contact with anyone in the world, then the tape (time) would continue to play on normally as if he had never been.

However, if you rewind the tape and the read-heads start to modify the tape as it plays, then by the end of the tape, it is entirely different than what it would have been if no agents had worked to modify the tape time-line. This is logically his doing. By going back in time, he effectively erased the future as a static future, and it once again became writable based on him having memories of a future that he was sent to change.

This is similar to how our future is writable now, but the only difference is that when he went back in time, he already knew what was going to happen, and so had a plan to counteract it. If you knew the future right now - or at least, as in this case had memories of what the future might be, then
you could pretty easily change the future I suppose.

All of this pretty much makes his story unfalsifiable, which is the interesting part for me. If he has gone back and changed the past, then the future as it is currently written is more-or-less a direct result of that change.

But then, how does he know me if he changed the past?

The answer to that question is because of his memories of the past as it used to be. He remembers me as a friend and as an ex-military combat buddy.

... I, on the other hand, don't remember him at all. I've never even been in the military as he describes. I was active duty from 2002-2004, but had nothing to do with time travel loll. If you were to believe his story, then maybe I would have been in the military if nuclear fallout did occur. Who knows.

If this man is NOT lying then he is the only person alive today who
has any memory of our timeline as it used to be... before he changed it.

Even the people who sent him back would have no knowledge of him.

Don't even ask me to get started with this guy either... you really think I want to be some stranger's mind-manipulation toy?

As a matter of fact, I bought some extra locks after work today, and plan on getting a few more weapons to put around the house, just in case "my old friend" is really some psycho.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
You lie!

Seriously though you making this up?

I'm not making it up, and I don't (want to) believe it.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
You lie!

Seriously though you making this up?

I'm not making it up, and I don't (want to) believe it.

So? You really are taking this as seriously as one could take it.

Do you think the "event" was the JFK assassination? If so, then your friend, and possibly you are involved in a murder!

Do you plan to seek out more details from your friend?

Do you have any idea why your friend did not buy you a lottery ticket 40 years ago, LOL!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Wow, assuming you are telling the truth, this is so far out. Is the guy next door married? Can you tell us any more about him? What kind of neighborhood do you live in? Are the houses expensive and exclusive? If you don't mind getting that personal.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Surely if you are stating that time is in one fixed line then you are creating a paradox with that story that is impossible to get around.

If the guy goes back and changes the same time line that he is from then the events that lead him to be sent back in time in the first place never happened and so he would never have been sent back in time and hence couldn't change it.

Also it seem like kind of a coincidence that a random crazy guy in a bar would tell a story about time travel to a random person in a bar that just happens to believe that time travel is possible.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by davespanners]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

If the guy goes back and changes the same time line that he is from then the events that lead him to be sent back in time in the first place never happened and so he would never have been sent back in time and hence couldn't change it.

I don't post much, but I find time travel interesting. What if... Going back in time is like a save point in a videogame. You save in one spot(current time line), do some stuff, then die (or for this story, be sent back in time) so you're sent back to your save point (which is now 1963 for the sake of the story)...

Everything you accomplished after the original save point is pretty much erased once you die and are sent back to the save point (1963)... Hence maybe going back in time erases anything that might have happened to you past whatever day you land back in 1963. So you're free to make up a new future. That would also mean, depending on the nature of your time traveling mission, that it'd be a one way trip.

So... The new question that pops into my head would be... Was this "old friend" in the bar like, 40 something years older than the original poster? If we are going by the assumption that the two friends were around the same age before the mission took place.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimorian

I have to say, taking your "save point" point, I know any game I play and save, then move on and say die, and go back to my save point, I still know why I don't want to repeat what I did, because that is what I did to screw it up to begin with. Of course I strive for the perfect game. That's why I went back to save point, and started over. From Lesson learned! Nothing really changed with me body wise, but my mind learned something. I still have total recall of all the players I used or went up against, be they friend or foe. Perhaps it really isn't all that different. Maybe this guy just knows how to do it in the bigger picture. He restarted the game and the names were changed to protect the innocent!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

If you are telling the truth, there is a easy way to check if your "friend" is telling the truth.
Eventhough the past is changed, some things he knows about you have not.
If he was a good friend and you shared stories he might know something about your parents, brothers, sisters, family pets, etc.
He might know what movies, music or food you like.
Those things would not be changed eventhough a world event got changed.

A old friend would have no problem proving who he is to you right?

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Interesting esp the stranger in the bar, then he moved next door to
you. For those that don't know, agents favorite places for info is the bars.
People talk about every, I even bet, you were tape recorded. I have said
a lot of crap to strangers at bars, guess what, I being watched daily by
Marshall, and the FBI. Do I care no, because words are meaningless. They
hang around and waste our tax dollars, is so funny.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Thinking more on my first post... If someone did figure out how to go back in time in the first place, it might not be that hard to also figure out how to freeze a point in time, hence the people in the experiment/mission would still be around regardless of what happened around them.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Surely if you are stating that time is in one fixed line then you are creating a paradox with that story that is impossible to get around.

Also it seem like kind of a coincidence that a random crazy guy in a bar would tell a story about time travel to a random person in a bar that just happens to believe that time travel is possible.

yes exactly, although it could be interpreted to mean elsewise, instead it might not mean there is only one timeline but that there is only one percievable timeline by the ones who experience it, leaving the traveler the only one to have experienced the multiple timelines.

like you said this could only be true if parallel dimensions and alternate timelines do exist,

now what bothers me about that is, this would mean every potentiality of possibility does exist in reality in some other timeline, and there is the definite possibility that one of those potentialitys would be someone who gains control and power over all timelines, it is also an inevitable potentiality that someone in one timelines would master some type of explosive that destroys all timelines and all dimensions, as we see and type its clear this hasnt happened.

on the flip side it is also a potentiality that someone of good and light at some point in our future would gain the wisdom power and will to gain control over all timelines and bring pure peace and love to them all.

obviously this also hasn't happened, now you also must wonder how these two potentialitys can even exist if they negate each other, good question, i dont know, but they do if your story is true.

Originally posted by locster

If you are telling the truth, there is a easy way to check if your "friend" is telling the truth.
If he was a good friend and you shared stories he might know something about your parents, brothers, sisters, family pets, etc.

i second this what a great idea, go knock on that door and ask as many questions as you can, don't let fear stop you, unless your just realy not interested, though your posting of this thread show thats you are.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
you know, we assume things like meeting up would negatate things, but that doesnt mean thats true. You might be able to be just one tiny itty bit of a fraction in time different to still be in the same time frame. you might also be able to Stop time, or freeze frame or something. To travel anywhere in time, I would think you would still end up in the present no matter where you were. We have defined time, that doesn't mean we are right.

[edit on 27-8-2010 by yigsstarhouse]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is certainly worth documenting as detailed as you can get it. Posting all and everything here can effectively help in solving your disappearance.

Let's say the guy is a total nut-job and identified you from when he first saw the house! Yeah! Scary to say the least. Since he claims to know you from a different time-line I cannot imagine this time-line changed a whole lot on your Spiritual Path or your line of interests in your World. Ask him to tell you about yourself!

However, if this guy is not a nut-job he could still be an Agent of sorts, which means he would have real-time "history" on you enough to convince you he is telling the truth. Then the only question remains is what kind of Agent? Is he an agent to recruit you into the "real" think-tank, so that you will go into the past to correct a terrible event? Or, is he just one of those run-of-the mill, Thank you Janet Napolitano for watching over the bad ATS members for being subversive kind-of-agent? Yikes! Double Yikes!

You had best get a video camera set up outside so that this creepo doesn't try to sneak in while you're out buying ammo.

In all seriousness, please keep us posted we need details!

[edit on 8/27/2010 by Greensage]

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
your history is confusing ... but thats what makes it possible to be real

since, if it was perfect, it would probably be a lie

I really dont care, congrats, it was a good history ... the end was the BEST hahhahaha

good 2 minutes thanks

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by locster

This would only work to a degree. Anything that happened before 1963 would of course have been the same. But everything that happened after 1963, especially if in the OTL there had been atomic war, would be different.
I was 3 when Kennedy was assassinated. I know where I lived at that time, that I got a trike for my third birthday, that Aunt Grace was dead, and that I had a collie named Lassie. Other than that, anything could have happened. But someone who was not born yet in 1963 probably would not have been in both timelines. If your father had not copulated with your mother at exactly that time with exactly that amount of thrust, even if she got pregnant on the same day in both time lines, even if the same egg was fertilized and eventually became a human adult, that person would not have been you. Because the sperm that hit the egg would have been different in both timelines. That person would have been genetically closer to you than a sibling, but it would not have been you. And that is assuming that that particular egg got fertilized.
If you were already here, then it is unlikely that the same movies would have been made, because there would be other things to do with whatever resources remained after an atomic war than make "The Sound of Music" or "The Ghost and Mr Chicken". Music. Would the Beach Boys have been popular for 20 years if there was an atomic war? Food. Would we ever have learned about Raman noodles, sushi, tiramisu, etc, if we were learning to enjoy possum and muskrat, not to mention dogs and cats? You would have eaten Puff and Spot, not kept them as pets. After an atomic war, we would probably eat anything that didn't eat us first. Just about nothing would have been the same.
I like the story, and I agree with a previous poster that if it was clear and concise, that it would have been much less believable. The impreciseness is exactly what makes it possible. I believe you that this person said this to you, and you make it sound like you only saw him once so of course you don't know all the details. But you should be careful around him. He is either telling the truth, or he is a disturbed individual. Hey, some of my best friends are disturbed individuals.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by christianpatrick

I totally agree with you on that, there are many variables.
But since the friend recognised him, at least some of the things happened the same on the changed timeline.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by locster

Or he's an even older fart than I am.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Dude, you should write sci—fi

This is clearly all made up either by you or by your “friend”. Let’s face it your story requires a time machine (as in a back to the future type machine) and a device to clear people’s memories (like Men In Black). It’s very clear that either a drunk guy at a bar is having some fun with you or you’re making it all up, personally I am going with the later and you are flat out lying.

I am going to assume that other than your testimony you have nothing that can verify anything you are saying, you have no evidence and expect us to believe what you are saying on faith. If this was true, I wouldn’t be running to ATS telling everyone about it, it is just so farfetched it’s hard to believe. If you had left the bit out at the end about him moving next door to you then i might have been able to buy that this is just a drunk in a bar.

Speaking of drunks in bar’s your story reminds me of an encounter i had with a drunk man at a bar. He told me and my friend he could speak every language spoken on earth and then added he could speak another 10 that nobody knew existed. He then went on to tell us that he had single headedly destroyed the former Soviet Union. He was just spinning us a whole load of lies, which we found funny because one of my friends stated talking to him in Russian and he couldn’t understand any of it and accused him of speaking gibberish. I am sure allot of us have a story like this about a drunk guy in a bar.

I am going to go out on a limb hear and use my wonderful psychic powers to predict that you have also had a “experience” that involved a extraterrestrial, you have seen ghosts, a reptilian once visited you and called you the star child, you were abused by Michael Jackson and saw G W Bush’s evil twin flying the plane that hit the south tower by remote viewing.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Wacky time travel or not, I'm very happy there was not a cataclysmic nuclear war. Please stay that way.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join