It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we be in a dream?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Def Youth
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Don't get me wrong. I loved it. Just that I'm still new to lucid dreaming. My problem is keeping myself asleep. It's like I get so excited that I'm lucid that I wake up. How do you get past that part?

Look at your hands, the details of it, and wave them around. Indulge in your surroundings, feel, touch things, hear things etc

It should help you forget about your physical body and instead focus on the dream body.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

You take coke when you wake up? haha

Anyway how was the dream coke? as good as real coke? or better?

I myself can't recall tasting things in a dream, but next time I get lucid I'm gonna check it out. I'm sure we can.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by aqlpskwo
no we're not in a dream. this is real. i am real you are real. seriously considering that this is all a dream is a step towards psychosis. have a drink man..dont waste your time and make this life count

Who said a dream is not real?

Everything is real.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Edgar Allan Poe seemed to think so. He even wrote a poem on it:

A Dream Within a Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

edit on 10-9-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Good thread!

We are all dreaming. The reason everybody shares the same dream and calls it "reality" is because we all share the same consciousness and call it "dreaming". We are truly a backwards species, very close to being disconnected from our true origins. The matrix is of our own creation because we refuse to accept that normality is unreal and abnormality is commonplace. We try to escape a matrix that we project and instead of changing our "dreams" we change our "realities" thus encouraging a deeper sleep...

"No worries. Be Happy."

PS- aqlpskwo... that sentiment you expressed is a bit... brainwashy. to say that seriously considering the boundaries of our reality is a step toward psychosis is a bit naive. many of the greatest minds in history often wondered the same thing. psychosis is a diagnosis given to those who step outside the box. who is to judge what psychotic people really do? truthfully, i think most of the world is psychotic because they don't ponder on those metaphysical issues.

edit on 10-9-2010 by prepared4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
A great thread with some great replies!

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking this same question. I think the coolest aspect of inception is how the writers dealt with time. As you go deeper time gets slower and slower relative to this experience we are having right now which we call reality. It shows the main character lived an entire lifetime in a dream and talks about how living that long and waking up takes it's toll on the mind.

My question is, if you believe your consciousness to be energy which continues on after we die, whether because of your religion or because you have had an OBE and know this to be true, isn't death just waking up to a new reality that will make his life seem like a dream?

By definition if we leave this material body and wake up to a new reality, have it be heaven or whatever you want to call it, if that is your belief than this IS a dream.

If we are afraid to ponder this notion because of a word like psychosis, then we are not truly free.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Cool thread, intelligent talk. Thanks for the Poe poem, don't remember reading it. Sounds like he's in the know lol.

For anyone who doesn't think it's possible we are in a dream, and who thinks they have the courage, you can face your convictions through the, completely legal in most states, sage plant, salvia.(read about it) I had to try it a number of times before I understood it's full power. A good-deep-long 2 hits of 10-20 xtract will completely reduce you to a conscious molecule, and throw you across the universe of fractured/perceived realities. I don't condone this for anyone who is concerned about promotions and social acceptance. It can change the way you see everything.

For me personally, I have considered the idea some before. But never so serious and so grave as after salvia. I completely see how this world could be no more than a dream, created by us, and the other 'atom structure' beings of consciousness. We dream each other up. Without me here, none of you exist, but that doesn't change that an accident could take me from you leaving you here without me. Do you remember being born? How do you know you were? Other people being born might just be our way of conceiving new people, and situations of joy/pain.

As far as reading books or hearing music from before our time, why not? Could our mind not conceive of a 'history' of great and low acts, a whole dynamic? Our mind has thrown up a full stage theater, but where does your consciousness place you in it? You have no ability for art? Or you have no access to such ability? The art is in you, you have conceived it and I as much as I have conceived you and it. Sounds really weird but why would it not be possible?

And of waking up into other realities, Eww, I shudder still. We could all be in a hospital, or in our moment of death, the consciousness froze, constantly trying to revert to re-live and change the course of our life. Maybe to move on to the next world, heaven or hell to some, we have to recall exactly and with full awareness the moment of our death. I recently asked a family member who had been in a month long coma when younger, what they remember about being out. And he replied, right before he awoke in the hospital, he remembered being hit by the car.

We could all be in a god like hospital, whereby this life is a fancy escape from the real pain, and when we let go and die, we awake to our true trauma. Or maybe, a completely backward view. Maybe suicide is the only way out? Maybe to consciously chose to end your own life, is the only way to realize the trauma of death, to break the cycle of repeating and reliving constant realities. But what do you wake to/ move to then?

Very deep question, and it can absolutely cause what normal people would consider psychosis.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by prepared4truth

naive?? haha YOU are being naive buddy! reality check..if you cant accept the way reality works then you're living a LIE. maybe you're from a rich family..have you been living under your daddys wallet

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

i had sex with 3 chicks the other night and i woke up in the morning still with a boner so i guess thats REAL. lol

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by aqlpskwo

Wow... you are really clutching at straws. As a matter of fact, I grew up in Richmond VA, moving to different neighborhoods you would probably call "ghetto" all my life. I don't live under "daddy's wallet". lol I didn't even know my dad's name till I was 15 and he is now in prison. He has been pretty much all my life. I've seen more things go down in 20 years than most rich people have seen in a lifetime. You don't know who I am and you're completely wrong about everything you posted. You wouldn't know reality if it beat your face in with a billy club.

Talk to me about philosophy after you get out of that lie you call "real life".

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

We are in a dream so much as the dream exist in our imagination.

We are created from the imagination of the true mind. Gravity is simply focus and observation.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yes, I have often thought that the life that we are all living is just a dream. We are here for a short while but when we wake up to eternity, it is forever.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

Check this out
I have a thread on it: www.abovetopsecret.com... and there is a part 2. Very interesting concept. One I cannot easily dismiss.

Also interesting to me is that when NDE's relay their after death experiences they always say the physical realm they enter into, or wake up in after death, seems more real, more vividly colored and experienced than actual "life" ever was

edit on 13-9-2010 by rusethorcain because: added thread link

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
well if this is a dream i guess i figured out all the rules

i could tell you but then id oh wait...then i guess ill tell if asked

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

That's a very interesting video, but it strikes me that it's something of a conclusion without a rationale (well, I'm not entirely certain that there's a conclusion, but we'll assume "there is no reality, it's all perception" to be it.) Primarily, though it is entirely possible to say that we might be something that is being manipulated into thinking that the stuff around us is real, there seems to be no compelling reason to think that it HAS to be that way.

In a sense, I've thought about this sort of thing before, in terms of colour -- I know what the colour green looks like, and you and I can both look at something and agree that it is green, but you might be seeing the hue that I associate with red, thinking it green, since colour is simply your brain processing the light reflected. But I'm not sure that there's any way to validate that, just as in the video.

But food for thought, thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Reply to post by Greensage

I have wondered the same thing myself.
??

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
There's way too much downtime in life to be a dream

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
You should look up Socrates or any philosophy or philosopher.Its basicly the basis of their philosophies.Reality is just a dream,ect,ect...Know any self improvement book will tell you that the reality you see is just a reflection of whats going on in your mind.But yeh,totally think reality is a dream and we can shape it into anything.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think you'd enjoy reading The Meditations By Descartes. He actually posits all of these sorts of problems, even anticipating the 'brain in a jar' hypothesis with a 'what if a demon is messing with me?' hypothesis.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I like this... a head**** the dream part at the start.

Such a great "movie"

edit on 13/9/10 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join