It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we be in a dream?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
How many of you think that we can all just be in a dream right now and the "reality" we perceive in this world is not the "real" reality? If we "wake up" from this dream, do we wake up to another "reality" or another "level of dreaming"? How do we actually know if we are not dreaming right now? Could our life on Earth just be a dream and the true reality is still yet to be seen?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Thanks.

[edit on 21-8-2010 by sphinx551]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I take it that you've seen Inception. That was a great movie. As for your question...

I don't know. It certainly poses a possibility, though a scary one. Though I'm not psychotic enough to try to kill myself to find out. I guess we can just live this life and see what happens when we "die" or wake up.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
well if we are in a dream
mine is a nightmare
and I wanna complain
to management cuz
I stay tired no matter
how long this dream last.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

I had an brief experience of this feeling a few months ago, for reasons that impacted it but aren't really relevant for your question.

After a bit of thought, I determined that it was a path to madness, and that, if this was indeed the case, it would sort itself out in time, so there was no point to worrying about it.

I did, however, find one reason that made it seem unlikely. The reason is detail. Everything that you look at, everything that you read, see on tv, hear when you talk to people... they are all crammed full of details. If this is a dream, my brain is not only providing those details, it is doing so in an incredibly imaginative fashion. You may fashion yourself a writer, or an actor, or a painter, but in this dream world, you are not only all of those different things, but you are every writer, every actor, every painter.

While it is possible for some being to be that imaginative, I know that I am not, so I can infer that if I am living in a dream of my own making, the maker of the dream is not me, not in the sense that I recognize myself now, at any rate.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yes we are.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Here at LE we offer the most cutting edge state of the art tech support to our valued customers...

"It's a nightmare!!!!!!Tech Support!!!!!!!!!"

[edit on 8/21/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

[edit on 8/21/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Since I am a Lucid Dreamer, I have woken up to find myself in a dream.

I would find myself in the reality of "now" not realizing anything is amiss until finally I spot something that does not fit in. For instance, one time I was on the couch taking a nap when I woke up, stood, and walked through the house. I didn't think anything other than being awake when suddenly on the table was a 3-handled mug. Now, I know I have never seen a 3-handled mug before so my mind was just a whirl, as I walked to the front door and opened it I found a tree had grown right outside preventing me from walking outdoors. Then it hit me, "I am in a Dream", so I opened my eyes and I was laying on the couch.

Wow, what a freaky dream, so I get up and walk into the kitchen, there was something wrong, I had painted the kitchen and now it was not. Like a Boom in my mind it hit me I was dreaming, so I opened my eyes again, sure enough there I was laying on the couch.

This went on for what seemed like hours. I eventually stopped trying to wake up and instead explored my new reality and allowed it to change and develop. I did finally, really, honest and truly wake up! I think! LOL

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Once, in the middle of a dream, I suddenly became lucid. I was talking to a friend of mine in her kitchen and something came over me that made me realize I was just dreaming. At that moment, I wanted to check some of the details in this bizarre fake world my mind created. It was shocking. I picked up a baseball cap and studied the little holes in it. It was so real. I remember looking out the window and wondering what I was standing on if it's not Earth. I looked up to the blue sky and wondered what was out there. It was freaky as hell. Then I woke up and felt a million miles away from wherever I was.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

like the matrix ??

you might say it like that ... its a cool metaphore
i have created a thread that talk about this very deeply

have a look and tell me if you agree
The Age of Enlightment has started !!

in the end... yes i could say its some kind of a dream that we dont remember when we wake up

it happen everytime we die

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
How many of you think that we can all just be in a dream right now and the "reality" we perceive in this world is not the "real" reality?

While we are currently in a dream I wouldn't say it isn't "real".

There isn't any reality beyond the dreams of consciousness.

Originally posted by sphinx551
If we "wake up" from this dream, do we wake up to another "reality" or another "level of dreaming"?

Yes, you can never escape your consciousness; you can only move around in it.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
If we are all sharing the same dream then.. how? Do we actually have a physical body or is that just an illusion of the dream too?

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

that was too funny for a short clip.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
"When you close your eyes the world doesn't disappear but when you open them, half of it does."

-- Paraphrased Aboriginal saying

A dream? Perhaps. Personally, I'm pulling for simulation theory.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

I got deep into lucid dreaming at a point in my life. The goal was to pretty much find ways to realize you are in a dream. So when something that obviously breaks the laws of physics happens, its an indicator that you're in a dream and it helps to begin lucid dreaming/ dream control. Now applying that to real life would be difficult because as far as we know, the laws of physics and such could be completely different in the "real" world. But seeing as everything has remained pretty constant throughout my lifetime, I'd say we're not dreaming

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Funny you should mention that, talk about synchronicity, this morning I woke up and went immediately to the window to see if everything was in it's rightful place, ie reality checking, even though I really had not reason or understanding why I did this? I had no dream recall, so this totally mystifies me as to how I reacted this morning!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Paranoia or insecurities? lmao

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Zhuangzi (Chinese philosopher) has a lot more to say on this subject then I ever could, so I will just point anyone who's interested to this wiki page

"Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man"

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I often have very realistic dreams and don't realize I'm dreaming.

Even things that should tell me I'm dreaming don't for some reason.

I see people that are dead alive again and perfectly fine but in the morning I still find myself wondering if it really happened.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
there are vast ancient knowledge bases that revolve around this concept, advaita vedanta, nonduaity, buddhism, theosis, deification....

basically when you wake up from this dream and this reality ...you wake up to God or God's reality.

The mind is the projector of the dream .....so you yourself are creating it. You think you are, and that you have a body, a gender, likes and dislikes, etc.....

But take away all the labels and what do you have? Nothing and everything ...all without labels.

I've had hundreds of glimpses of this "wake up state" I would be willing to put my life on the line to stand up for the fact that it is real. I've been studying this exact topic for the last 10 years!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Love your post! I think you make a lot of valid points there a big glittering Star for you

[edit on 21-8-2010 by davespanners]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join