It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Collection Of Great Drummers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hello rhythm fans! I thought it would be cool to bring an ensemble of exceptional drummers onboard here for the archives. I was going to put some 20 odd vids up but after chatting with Crakeur, I decided to just list 5 of my favorite, and would encourage others to include their favorites, but limit it to 5 also.
There have been some outstanding drummers from the past and there are some incredible drummers now. I hope to see some good metal drummers in the mix.

I will start with a couple of classic drummers.

One of the great masters Buddy Rich

Papa Jo Jones:

The first time I saw Dave Weckl, I was amazed and inspired to modify my own playing.

I am a huge fan of Tool and totally dig Danny Carey's exploitation of odd time signatures. BTS Tool Pg

Terry Bozzio blew me away in this solo with Zappa....WoW!

I would like to include Steve Gadd, Dennis Chambers and Billy Cobham too.

Who do you think are some of the greatest drummers ever?

Peace

[edit on 22-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sorry to bring it into the 21st century, but Greg Saunier from Deerhoof is blazing a trail!

Im not sure if he is going over old ground, but as a rule the drummer in a band doesnt turn me on and this is the only exception to the rule.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

Yea I guess I give away my age huh? Thanks for the addition, I dig the guy's simple set up with the 16-17" hi hat! Honestly I am a bit detached from so much newer music, so thanks for reminding me of some good contemporary work. As with so many things though, you have to know where something comes from in order to take it further. Skills can be a timeless thing, admirable no matter what the era.

Peace

[edit on 21-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Neil Pert of Rush

Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy Osbourne)

MIke Portnoy of Dream Theater

There's a few good examples.

I would always also list Clive Burr but I couldn't find any live solo footage from him.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star
Sorry to bring it into the 21st century, but Greg Saunier from Deerhoof is blazing a trail!

I like the minimalist kit but the drumming in this vid was... well, I'll look for more from him...

And here's a 21st century drummer blazing a trail

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Another 21st century drumming master:

Gavin Harrison

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
I like the minimalist kit but the drumming in this vid was... well, I'll look for more from him...

Lol! Hope i wasnt exposing my drumming ignorance there!

Im not much of an expert (people always say i have no sense of rhythm) but it is interesting to watch these videos and to see the differences in style and technique between various drummers. I didnt realise that there was so much to it before.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Lol! Hope i wasnt exposing my drumming ignorance there!

Im not much of an expert (people always say i have no sense of rhythm) but it is interesting to watch these videos and to see the differences in style and technique between various drummers. I didnt realise that there was so much to it before.

Oh no, it's not like that. That guy has a unique kit and approach and made himself known. I think that's as important as technique and prowess, really.

My own band members tell others about me that "what you hear from the drums set won't match what you see". I tend to remain very still and conserve as much energy as possible when playing, yet play quite energetically. So visually I have very little appeal (in more ways than one), yet guys like the one in Deerhoof have a LOT going for them since they exude a definite personality on the kit.

Thanks for that link!

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Hefficde, great addition! No drummer list would be complete without Peart.
It was Rush's 2112 album that spurred me to learn drums in the first place.
Clive Burr with the old Tama giant kit, love it...Prisoner!! I dug Aldridge's work with 2 of my favorite albums of all time, Blizzard Of Oz and Diary! Portnoy rocks too, and with Tama drums(my favorites).

spec

reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Thanks for the reply TD! I knew you would probably include some drummers I had not heard of. Hella- some nice rudiments utilized across the set. Gavin - Wow, had not heard of him but glad I now know.
I agree with you about the relaxed style allows for good speed and nuance. Out of 20= years of playing, the "relaxed" part did not kick in until the last several years, as well as volume utilization beyond just LOUD.
Weckl really affected my style, inspiring me to switch over to traditional grip.

spec

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Now for a few more....

Dennis Chambers is a very diverse and relaxed player. Another master of his craft. Check that speed out!

Dylan Elise, a 16 year New Zealand kid blew me away with this solo: picks up at 2 min in -

Tony Royster became so good at a young age and has his own unique style. Watch his 1 foot 2 pedal action...

spec

[edit on 23-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Ran across this one, super fast stick work and friggin' enduring footwork.

Virgil Donati

spec

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
i'm not a connaisseur of drummers and their careers, but I always loved the legendary drumsolo of Michael Shrieve on Santana's 'soul sacrifice' at Woodstock:

edit on 17/9/10 by Movhisattva because: lay-out

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
You kidding me. How can you have a drummer list with out the amazing Bonzo. Really?

edit on 17-9-2010 by VAPatriot because: Not sure how to put up video

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well, I was gonna post a vid here, but apparently they are few and far between of just his solos. My vote is for Larry Mullen, Jr. The man can drum, that's all I gotta say.

Oh, and Neal Peart was my second choice. He is amazing!

Just went and watched the Neal vid, and have to say Geddy is the best bassist out there, isn't he?

edit on 17-9-2010 by Ceriddwen because: more info

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I'll try again. I just learned to post video.

Ladies and gentelman ..... John Henry Bonham

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VAPatriot

Yes VaPatriot, no drum list would be complete without the Bonham man, for sure!
Thanks for the addition!

spec

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I've always felt like Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick is one of the great underrated drummers in rock:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I also have a soft spot for Kenny Aronoff, who's played with tons of people but is probably best well-known as being John Mellencamp's drummer for many years....

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Okay, I'm on a roll here (get it??)
so I'll throw out one last one for the evening (and I have no idea what he's wearing or why in the vid.) Clem Burke of Blondie:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Interesting;
news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join