It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Collection Of Great Drummers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Another drummer whose work I enjoy...

Jimmy Chamberlin - Smashing Pumpkins

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

Cool info Skippy! Although I think they would have been more impressed with Dave Lombardo or Joey Jordinson, not in skills but in maintaining a maniac pace for such durations. Those 2 guys incorporate both feet a lot more than Burke. Still, I had not seen Burke and I dig his style, so thanks.
Oh and BunE....smokin'!!

spec

reply to post by Hefficide

Jimmy, yes, an excellent addition! His work on Gish and Siamese Dreams is really poetic and unique.
Thanks Heff!

spec

edit on 19-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: cg

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Mike Portnoy was already posted but I love him more in LTE than in DT, well, he departed from DT last week, so....
He's my fav, maybe there's are bunch of better ones, but I love Mike Portnoy, even when he's a chicken with eartquakes and was scared to death the last time Dream Theater played here

edit on 20-9-2010 by Caggy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I do not know about great but I would pay to see this drummer in action without the rest of the band.

I am reminded of Chris Farley when I see this video for some reason.

Raist

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Hee hee now that was entertaining! I saw a lot of Farley and a little bit of Will Ferrel(the face)! What's funny is this almost seems like a SNL skit, but that drummer is serious and thinks he's got mad skills. I'll give the guy a salute for originality!

spec

edit on 20-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Can't believe I forgot this guy- Roger Taylor of Queen:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
May I suggest Rick Allen of Def Leppard. With and without his left arm.

Caution: Rick streaks naked throught the first part of this video.

Thunder God, indeed.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
A little Billy Cobham classic:

spec

edit on 22-9-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The worlds fastest drummer, Mike Mangini

Thomas Lang

Do NOT forget Ian Paice. I'm no Zeppelin fan and I'll take IP over Bonzo anyday.

Carl Palmer

Gene Krupa Vs. Buddy Rich

Cozy Powell with Rainbow

Bobby Rondinelli with Rainbow. Not the baddest drummer but a entertaining solo.

Here's a funny one from Dani Löble of Helloween, with the bass player Markus Grosskopf doing his version of a drum solo. Not the greatest out there but another one that's entertaining.

Nick D'Virgilio from Spock's Beard. Two versions of Gibberish and a drum solo with Neal Morse in The Light

Well, it seems as if The Light, from the video, isn't out there, so I'll give you a drum duel with Nick and Jimmy Keegan.

Dream Theater's Instrumedly. Crazy stuff from the whole band but it shows how good Portnoy is.

Mark Zonder with Fates Warning

Mark Zonder Musicians Institute Drum Clinic

Simon Philips

Neil Peart's most recent drum solo, even though he's been mentioned.

Is that enough? I didn't even delve into the realm of Death Metal. There are some smoking drummers in that there genre.

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Was going to post a vid of him with Mahavishnu if nobody mentioned him.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Hella cool TheLoony, thanks for the additions! Simon Phillips, awesome, and I has not heard Spock's Beard before. We have a fine compilation here, thanks again!

spec
reply to post by cLOUDDEAD

Hey cLOUDDEAD! No good list of great drummers would be complete without the Tony Williams, thanks for the additions!

spec

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Glad you enjoyed it. I wish Spock's Beard's The Light from the Don't Try This At Home video was available as there's a neat solo with Neal, the frontman, playing the drums and Nick on a bongo, then they play together. Nice little solo in the middle of a very cool tune, that is if you like prog(A.K.A. weird music). When Neil left the band Nick came out from behind the drums - similar to Genesis post Peter Gabriel - and is now the frontman, playing guitar, keys and some drums, hence why the drum duel with Jimmy Keegan. Multi-talented buggers like him and Neal Morse piss me off as it's hard enough to play one instrument well and they do many.

Well, I've done my job here. Now I get to sit back and enjoy the videos as I haven't watched them yet, I just looked to see who was posted and went from there. Now, if someone decides to put up Meg White, well, we are going to have some "issues" LOL!

It's titled A Collection Of Great Drummers yet I will put up a song I did way back in the early 90's. I don't consider myself great at all but what the hell, IMO we did some mildly interesting hard rock, especially considering the time period. Sound quality is, well, there really is no quality to this as it was recorded on videotape, but you'll get the idea. Never mind the pics in the video, they are just there as filler.

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I just love this kid, only 16 and already masterful! The intro is a little boring but it is a 4 part series with lot's of action. The stick work is unmatched, imo.

Dylan Elise

spec

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Ran across this gem, Sonny Emory...awesome!

Best action starts at 1:42

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Do invisible drums count? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Okay, here's a real video. I kind of like Tommy Lee.

edit on 13-10-2010 by Skid Mark because: Added a video

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Hee hee, that invisible drumming was cool man!

Tommy Lee rocks it for sure, that show looked pretty awesome!

spec

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I always wanted to go see Motley Crue but never got a chance. It looks like they put on a great show.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Ran across another cat with a style truly his own...

Bernard Purdie
Now that's entertainment folks....

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I wanted to add this, Terri Bozzio's massive kit being set up. man I could spend days behind that set!

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Amen to your first video in the OP.
Buddy rich was THE MAN!

So is neil peart.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join