It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They won't build it! Hardhats vow not to work on controversial mosque near Ground Zero

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

They won't build it! Hardhats vow not to work on controversial mosque near Ground Zero

www.nydailynews. com

A growing number of New York construction workers are vowing not to work on the mosque planned near Ground Zero.

"It's a very touchy thing because they want to do this on sacred ground," said Dave Kaiser, 38, a blaster who is working to rebuild the World Trade Center site.

"I wouldn't work there, especially after I found out about what the imam said about U.S. policy being responsible for 9/11," Kaiser said.
The grass-roots movement is gaining momentum on the Internet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I was waiting for this to happen. The developer will be forced to ship in labor and supplies from outside the Tri-State area because any local suppliers and workers will be publicly outed.

I made this comment several days ago in another thread.

Now, for the good part... Will any local NY contractors want to take on this project?? I smell retribution for those who work on this project. Possibly some inspection issues... you get the idea... New Yorkers are a tough and proud bunch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 20-8-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Wow - this is the most brilliant thing I have ever heard!

Go hardhats!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
You really cant hate on someone who does not wish to go against their own beliefs in order to make someone else happy.

Personally, I can care less about the mosque.
I think everyone should be able to practice whatever religion they want.

If I was asked to help build it, personally, I wouldnt do it. I would ask to be relocated. But thats just me.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
For a liitle more perspective

It's a very difficult dilemma for the contractors and the organized labor force because we are experiencing such high levels of unemployment," he said. "Yet at the same time, this is a very sacred sight to the union guys."

"There were construction workers killed on 9/11 and many more who got horribly sick cleaning up Ground Zero," Coletti said. "It's very emotional."

L.V. Spina, a Manhattan construction worker who created anti-mosque stickers that some workers are slapping on their hardhats, said he would "rather pick cans and bottles out of trash cans" than build the Islamic center near Ground Zero.

This says it all

"But if they moved it somewhere else, we would put up a prime building for these people," he said. "Hell, you could do it next to my house in Rockaway Beach, I would be fine with it. But I'm not fine with it where blood has been spilled."

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm wondering if they will even be able to bring in labor from outside the NYC area or even the Tri-State Area without real problems.!

As Yogi would say.... "It ain't over till it's over!!"

Zindo

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
bump up the price and i'll do it, a job is a job in these times, if you don't do it somebody else will, you're turning down bussiness when you cant afford to, even if i have to hide my face i'll do it, might be worth investing in a bhurka.. hmmmm

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Dave Kaiser, 38, a blaster who is working to rebuild the World Trade Center site.

www.nydailynews.com...

Dose anyone else find that kind of ironic

Anyway the Bin Laden family owns one of the largest construction companys in the world so I guess with a phone call the labor problem would be solved.
Just speculating

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Slim

I don't believe you truly understand how the labor market works in NYC. If the unions say it will not be built It AIN"T gonna be built..period!!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

i live nearly 3 thousand miles away hence i don't understand the NYC labo(u)r market

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
I'm wondering if they will even be able to bring in labor from outside the NYC area or even the Tri-State Area without real problems.!

As Yogi would say.... "It ain't over till it's over!!"

Zindo

That really isn't a problem. St. Regis is building a new Club/Hotel near by and (Bal Harbour FL) and they brought the workers in from Mexico. The Union Guys picketed the site for weeks but gave up after 2 months.

The Mexican construction workers that they literally brought in from Mexico and housed are still mostly here 2 years later and the building is almost done.

Initially when it was just a hole in the ground and they were building the foundational structure they all lived in Trailers on the site, and as they put up the steel they all moved into the surrounding neighborhoods pulling their money to shack up together cheaply.

When they are done, most of them will go back to Mexico.

Either the NYC Police or a Private Security Firm will make sure the foreign workers can get on and off the site.

Eventually scabs will cross the lines to work too.

Idealism will only carry most people so far in this world.

Talk is cheap, but...just about everything eles requires money!

Welcome to Amerika.

[edit on 20/8/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Oh for goodness sake.

double post!!

[edit on 20-8-2010 by hotbakedtater]

link   
Oh for goodness sake.

If any of these slackers are refusing a job while on Unemployment, their benefits need to be stopped.

Way to feed right into the terror machine, construction workers/unions/refusing slackers!!!!

ETA, Props to OP for calling this one, I remember when you posted that!

[edit on 20-8-2010 by hotbakedtater]

link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You are talking about Fla. which is a 'right to work' state almost devoid of union membership. I'm talking about NYC probably the largest union city in the USA and there is a BIG difference. The unions in NYC work together and the use of Mexicans or any other workers would cause untold problems for the contractor that tried to make use of the non-union work force. The delays in delivery and lost or wrong content delivered and other ways to throw monkey wrenches into their plans would drive the cost of this endeavor to extreme over runs. They'd have to keep the plans (blue prints) of under lock and key because they would disappear or be changed over night and no one would be the wiser for days. I've seen this done so it's not just conjecture!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Good for them, I would however work there, and make sure My ham and Cheese Sandwiches, or My spare ribs were left there, not to mention any pork chops that I could bary within the walls or ground
similar to that of the Construction Worker who burried Red Sox? Stuff in Yankees stadium, or was in Yankee stuff in Red Sox stadiums??

But either way they build there mosque I work there with my ham and cheese, and even my dog.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is kinda funny (Not the event but the situation) because I just watched a news report showing a building thats been used as a mosque for the past year two blocks down

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Shipping in labor is not uncommon but they are playing a totally different ball game in NYC. Remember that is was these very workers who were the first on the scene to clean up the disaster. It was also these workers who were continually finding body parts throughout the clean up process.

This is not a beach resort hotel.

abcnews.go.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.fallenbrothers.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Why doesn't someone just tell them the truth? That it's NOT A MEGA MOSQUE?

Because it isn't. The proposed building is a community center.

Oh and that location?

It isn't at 'ground zero' but blocks away...

BACK TO WORK BOYS AND GIRLS!

peace

[edit on 20-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Slim
bump up the price and i'll do it, a job is a job in these times, if you don't do it somebody else will, you're turning down bussiness when you cant afford to, even if i have to hide my face i'll do it, might be worth investing in a bhurka.. hmmmm

well said. i thought they already said they abandoned the plan to build the mosque a few days ago? thought i read that on yahoo but maybe i was wrong. kinda a moot point to say you wont build something that is no longer planned on being built because like you said if they wanted to somebody, somewhere, who needs work (there are plentyy) would help build it. sounds like propoganda to me

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Actually, it is both. My church also has a large community center that is used for all kinds of events for the church and for those who rent the space.

The proposed mosque and community center at 45-51 Park Place -- called Park 51 -- would be built a mere 560 feet, or two blocks, from the northern boundary of the World Trade Center site at Vesey Street.

Read more: www.nypost.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join