It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi Suggests Conspiracy, Probe of Funding Sources Behind Opposition to Mosque Near Ground Zero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is suggesting a coordinated effort is behind the opposition to a proposed mosque and community center near Ground Zero, saying the whole dispute has been "ginned up" for political purposes and she supports a probe into those opponents.

Commenting publicly for the first time on the Park 51 project, Pelosi said the issue was posing a distraction and that some organized force is behind it.

"There is no question that there is a concerted effort to make this a political issue by some," she said in remarks posted Tuesday in a video on the San Francisco Chronicle website. "And I join those who have called for looking into how is this opposition to the mosque being funded."

On Wednesday, Pelosi's office clarified that the speaker is not calling for a "congressional inquiry," though she still supports looking into the funding of the mosque's opponents as well as its patrons.

"I support the statement made by the Interfaith Alliance that 'We agree with the (Anti-Defamation League) that there is a need for transparency about who is funding the effort to build this Islamic center. At the same time, we should also ask who is funding the attacks against the construction of the center,'" she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.foxnews.com...

As much as despise this woman, I think she may be on to something here. With that being said, what really gets me, is that Pelosi doesn't mind exposing this conspiracy (if it does exist), but stays mum on the more important and dangerous conspiracies. I guess that's just our corrupt system at its finest. This appears to be another attempt at getting the public's mind off of what really matters, though there could be a silver lining.

If the public sees that certain groups do conspire with each other, they may subconsciously accept that conspiracies do exist by those who we would otherwise not suspect of taking part in.

Ever since this has been an issue, I have suspected that it was a coordinated effort, though as relatively unimportant as it is, it could show others that conspiracies are just part of the woven fabric of the elite.

Who knows, maybe her opposition will then feel compelled to expose a conspiracy to which she takes part in.

--airspoon

[edit on 18-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Conspiracywise, there are definitely some prime suspects for kicking this mess off, and then the rest of the special interest groups fell into lockstep behind it.

My suspicion as to the origins? The neocons and Zionists, who pal around with their mouthpiece Walid Shoebat sent out to do his thing and who inflamed Pamela Gellar and organizations like the American Family Association, and then the ball was rolling for all sorts of opportunists like politicians.

Top Social Conservative: 'No More Mosques, Period'

What she needs to remember is that the imam has been planning this center for a long time now, and there isn't necessarily any funding yet.

Interview with 'ground zero mosque' spokesman

It appears there will be transparency in the funding, and in addition, they will be applying for...

Sultan said they are committed to a transparent fundraising process and they will not take any money from any source that is on the Treasury Department’s watch list. He claimed they will even apply for Homeland Security funding available for terrorist abatement programs.

Fundraising is not beginning for a few months yet. Domestic funding is the priority...state, local, and federal money. They will comply with the Treasury Department and will not take money from anyone on any watch lists. There will be transparency at all steps. Seems they welcome the scrutiny.

By the way, in case you're interested, this topic is also here in Political Madness. Not a very productive discussion there in my opinion, but for what it's worth.

[edit on 8/18/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I just have one thing to say to her: "let us not tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories."

Speaking of conspiracy theories, how about a concerted effort to put up the mosque, and not just the opposition, and what is the opposition doing other than running their mouth? I thought talk was cheap.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Sure, why not I'm all about transparency.

While we are at it least investigate where her campaign funds come from and how many foreign governments, or their lobbiest "donate" to her fund or provide any other sort of perk.

You know what, let's have transparency throughout congress, both in campaign contributions and everything else.

Oh wait, she didn't like it very much when the NSA tried to assist her with transparency.

Oh well, business as usual I suppose.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
isn't there a thread already about this?

well, i'm all for looking into the money guys.

isn't that where some of the opposition has a problem?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I had to star and flag you here man, I was about to post this story, maybe with a lil differen take then you had tho.....

Its clear WHY shes doing this, for the same exact reasons shes accusing other people of there being a conspiracy........POLITICS and november is coming, theyve been playing every hand they have to drum up favor for november....

Ill also add, I MIGHT take into consideration there being a conspiracy about this, which I honestly dont think there is, But its PELOSI and i dont trust ONE word that comes out of this womans mouth, she drums up so many lies, that to have faith in her accuracy on ANYTHING would be unwise

I mean its a sensitive subject, thats all there is to it, its not a conspiracy, a lot of people just feel its not right to put one there, thats public opinion not a conspiracy...

Just my 2 cents S & F man

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That's exactly when it can suck to be a hypocrite, eh searching? But the way I figure it, no one's perfect, and if she really wants to spearhead an investigation on this and its consequences, go for it. Don't let her being a hypocrite block progress of the truth from coming out. That kind of thing.

Then again, it could be (probably is) just another case of crooked politicians bringing stuff like this up every once in a while to give the illusion of being on top of things to placate and appease, and then it never really goes anywhere.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

That's a good point. Making us think that there is an opposition, looking out for our interests. However, I don't know how many times I hear people say that the government's and elite don't conspire and the chips are only where they lie. Show a conspiracy and the precedent is set.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Don't let her being a hypocrite block progress of the truth from coming out.

but if she's a hypocrite, there's a good chance the truth won't be coming out of her. Would you trust a compulsive liar? Especially a compulsive liar that is trying to do anything possible to get re-elected? I wouldn't.

I hate the neo-conservatives as much as the next constitutionalist, but please, we've heard this before, "vast right-wing conspiracy" yeah right, more like vast republican/democrat conspiracy.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Absolutely

I doubt she has actually sprouted a moral compass, but perhaps our interests align this time.

You know what really gets me? I'll tell you

I was reading this story on CNN's website and every time they used the word "conspiracy" it appeared just like that in quotes, like conspiracies do not exist. I really wish they would quite pretending that conspiracies do not exist. You know since they can charge you with it as a crime, as my former gov. just found out

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Who cares where the money came from? Isn't it more important to find out where the money to build the mosque is coming from? Somehow Nancy does not seem all that interested in looking into that.

What if some gent in Alabama funded the opposition? How about some woman in Hungry? What about a bunch of nuns in Italy? How about some rich dude who wants to develop some real estate in that neighborhood and sees the mosque as killing the profit on the project? Who cares and why is it a congressional issue.

When you have an overwhelming number of agreement on any given issue, does it really matter who spent the money to get them educated on that issue? People are articulating their own views when asked their opinion on the mosque. It is immaterial who financed the get out the message processs.

This is a very slippery slope.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I would ask what laws are suspected of being broken, that the legislative branch of government is calling for an investigation?

Should we also launch probes into where the money comes from to oppose gay marriage?

Should we follow the money (at government expense) for all matters where people have opinions and support their opinions politically?

Doesn't that sound scary to anyone???

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Who cares where the money came from? Isn't it more important to find out where the money to build the mosque is coming from?

I would think that neither is important, as we have much larger fish to fry. However, if we are going to poke the devil, I think that it *could be a good thing to expose when certain influences try to sway popular opinion through deception, especially if our tax-dollars are being used to do it.

Furthermore, I can think of a thousands things that are more important to expose than the funding of a religious institution in a metropolitan area. The big question here is, who cares whether a Mosque is being built anywhere. Until they break a law or initiate force against anyone, it should be none of our concern.

What really gets me, is how people seem to be so concerned over the funding of this Mosque, but these same people fail to express the same concern over the funding of America's largest terror attack. If you are going to focus concern over funding of something, would it not be more pertinent to expose funding of something that actually hurt Americans? Why is it okay to excuse funding of the 9/11 attacks as unimportant, but not a building being built for alleged worship of god?

Sometimes, people are so hypocritical in their political stances and ignore that which doesn't fit into their world-view or that which isn't spoken of by their favorite pundit.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Unless we use her saying this to our advantage and force it. Hypocrites can be used the same way they use people. We have to fight with what we have and use the opportunities we're presented.

What's the alternative? Throw our hands in the air, call them all corrupt and hypocrites, and give up?

[edit on 8/18/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I see this as a threat directed against Free Speech that is uncomfortable for her. You see the latest Polls show opposition to the Mosque next to ground zero is very high, in the 65%+ range, but that opposition to building the Mosque somewhere else is nearly non-existent.

That Imam is on the US Government Payroll and Obama has given his opinion, so her actions scream progaganda and an attempt to stifle free speech to me. The message is, if you speak out and take the other side from my side, I'll investigate you so shut up. I think that should be clear. Why anyone would approve of that from any Elected Official escapes me. I'd have to be a card carrying, in lock step member of the same Party to not see it that way. Free Speech without harassment should not be dependent on whether or not your views match the Party in Power's view.

Me, I'm just for the law to be obeyed. If the codes there allow it then it may be a rude action and a slap in the face, but I'd not oppose it. I think what is more of an issue is why are they not approving the rebuilding of the Lutheran building that was already there. That seems like in your face discrimination against Lutherans to me? Their project is clearly being blocked while the Mosque is on the fast track.

The best move I ever made was separating myself from any Party so I could see more clearly. Ask yourself, even if you agree with her, is it right to use intimidation to stifle Free Speech?

I expected this story to be front page after I saw it many hours ago, but as normal, important issues barely get noticed around here.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I was indifferent on this topic, but as soon as Nancy opens her trap I find myself naturally being against whatever she is selling. So I guess I am now 100% against the Mosque instead of just not caring.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

i was on the mosque issue few weeks ago and noone paid me nothing.

come on now the powers that be stop stiffin me and pay up!

on another note pelosi would fit in rather nicely on ats. whats one more nutjob

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I don't really think the opposition to this mosque was some kind of conspiracy from the beginning. It probably just started with average folks who knew about the plan being offended by it and complaining. As the word got out and eventually hit the Internet it just exploded. Now that it is a huge story everybody is jumping in to "stake out" their claim and promote their particular agenda.

Nancy Pelosi's statement that people should be investigated just shows her to be a thug who uses her political power to crush anyone who doesn't agree with her agenda. Who is she going to investigate? More than 60% of Americans oppose this mosque so she would probably need a larger staff.

new topics

top topics

join