It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EVACUATE NOW!: This is Not a Drill

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
www.accuweather.com...

Fires are burning the red forest where radioactive dust settled, scientists investigating any effects. Minimal risk presumed.

I must say I agree, I am currently in a Radiography test and in particular the sections about specific frequency's, isotopes, and so on...........

I dont think there is any real danger, as it has been over 20 years and most if not all the "dust" in the actual forest will have already blown away, not to mention fire would digest nearly all the particles further reducing the amount that can travel, however i admit that just as many particles that burn would likely be lifted into stronger wind

But Im no expert, heck, we all know s is going to hit the proverbial fan in the near future anyways.

And ya, POTASSIUM IODIDE, its the only thing and its cheap and available

[edit on 17-8-2010 by Wademus]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Calm down.

When Chernobyl went up in the past it released a good dose of radiation into the atmosphere and yet we're all still alive and cancer rates outside of the immediate area didn't raise to massive levels.

People are far to fearful about radiation. Yes constant exposure to radiation above the background is bad and yes if you consume small quantities of certain isotopes you can become very ill and/or die, however the required doses won't be delivered by these fires. If you have had an x-ray this year then you have probably been dosed with more radiation than this situation will expose you to. Understand that you are exposed to radiation everywhere you go, many of the appliances you use have radiation in them.

Various government agencies will talk up their efforts to contain this but only because they need to be seen as doing somethign to keep the public from panicking.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Absolute S***E! There is no panic and no problem in Europe. The only issue appears to be a bunch "people" crouching in their US of A bedrooms and mutually freaking over nothing. Go outside sometimes people and get some perspective. When Chernobyl blew up in the 80's I was on holiday in central Europe and happily sunbathed through the "worst" of the radiation, completely unaware of the disaster, so I don't think some forest fire is going to start doomsday anytime soon. I'm begfinning to think you need to pass a test and get a posting licence before you can start uttering forth on ATS. And the mods wonder why there is "angst." Sheesh.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
*SNIP*

Yes this is alarmist nonsense atm, i would be concerned if the big case around the actual reactor remains get damaged and burned as that could release some unpleasant stuff. Still i doubt it would cause any long term harm to anything other than the local area. An area which has been cordoned off for years.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

Mod Edit: Removed removed content.

[edit on 17/8/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
*SNIP*

I hate to tell you, but this thread was a joke from the get go. The OP made a ridiculous unsubstantiated claim. It was no different than every single doomsday thread before it. This is just some schmuck taking advantage of a lack of media coverage in other parts of the world regarding Russia's fires. There was a vacuum of information and so some jagoff decided to make a crazy claim and OP and a few hundred other people bit down on it and got reeled in.

Long live ignorance. This thread needs to be in the hoax forum and the source linked in the OP needs to be blacklisted.

Mod Edit: Removed removed content.

[edit on 17/8/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

People concerned need to take iodine.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Don't panic
if that's true -- we, all, shall be dead soon & nowhere will be safe

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Anti-oxidants (like vit C) CAN help some to protect against cellular free-radical damage caused by radiation. Iodine supplements are also often recommended as a protection cuz thyroid damage can be caused by radioactivity showing up later in contaminated environmental iodine.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

I dont appreciate your tone pal, you come on here and state that Central Europe and Russia should be evacuated then you call us spastics
For starters I dont recall any major threat to Europe during the original disaster and second your juvenile tone will not win you any arguments here

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by Solomons

Vitamins won't help you at all....anyway, I'd like to see some more confirmations of this.

Nonsense. There has been numerous studies which prove that ascorbic acid helps with radiation poisoning dating back to the 1940's.

What is nonsense is that you don't understand what radiation poisoning is. Your claim that vitamins will help is like saying that a cast will prevent a piano from falling on your leg. Vitamins are good, but only to help out the immune system you were created with. Radiation sickness from fallout happens when your pituitary gland absorbs the radioactive isotope of iodine and once it intakes it into the gland your vitamins are just a bad joke. By making sure your pituitary glands are at max, the potassium iodide keeps the tank full and the body excretes the radioactive iodine isotopes that aren't trapped in the lungs.

Once you have any radioactive particles trapped in your body, especially right next to the brain, they will just emit particles until they kill you, end of story. Telling people that vitamins can help with inhalation of this poison is just ignorant, and deceiving. Instead you should be telling them to stock up the pituitary gland, as neither vitamins or potassium iodate/iodide will help if they are just sitting on the shelf. Anyone who does not have a supply of this most vital salt is at best tempting death as the signs of nuclear war are and have been all around and potassium iodide is the only known preventative to fallout and is so cheap no one has an excuse not to have it on hand.

No disrespect intended OP, it's just that there is only one way, that is to prevent the particles from lodging permanently in the body, once they're inside, only vitamins and your immune system's genius design can help you. But since this article and these claims come before the particles are actually airborne, I think it wise to think preventative rather than acting helpless and hoping vitamins will cure what could have been avoided.

Peace

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I've read a couple of different news sources that have flatly denied the radiation levels measured in and around the smoke column are anything above nominal.

Once again, we the people are being intentionally placed into low-grade panic mode in order to weaken our defenses (both moral and physiological) and to make us more suceptible to having TPTB rob us of the belief that we are able to take care of ourselves and our families on our own, without them meddling and interfering.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

I'm sorry but sensationalist fear mongering like this should have you're # banned and wiped off the site. C'mon 17+ stars for a report coming from a website in the US spreading big and scary words that excite the pessimists, hardly frontline reporting is it?

I'd prefer sources from people there in that country who would report in a second if something is causing all there meters to start creeping up into the red.

This link is for the Argus project measuring and monitoring Gamma around the U.K
[url=http://www.weatherprobe.com/] (Only works in IE) :/

And for anyone else who keeps going on about "oh the radiation isn't THAT bad" "The disaster wasn't THAT big".........

Firstly the fallout was scattered That mean's the levels of radiation were SCATTERED over a wide area. Some area's by the cooling towers at chernobyl still hit up to several hundred Millisievierts.

Secondly there are people still living with the terminal side effects of the radiation that happened "Soooo long ago" that would slap you upside the head for making ill informed comments about what it does and does not do!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten
reply to post by CHA0S

If I meet someone who has just come back from an area near there, can they give me radiation poisioning? Like is it infectious?

I hope border controls are tight.

L4D I was just thinking of the same thing in relation to the blue flu-smh something is being sensed..

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
When you consider that "elites" have used/exaggerated/manufactured environmental crises in the past as attempts to gain the power they desire; a world government, this is highly suspicious. Examples would include:

• Manufacturing evidence exaggerating the effects of global warming, something that were exposed in the climate-gate e-mails

• Exaggerating the effect of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico

It's my opinion that these fires in Russia were caused through weather manipulation or through some other means.

This is a very major environmental crisis that will probably be exploited for all it's worth, and may be what they need to advance a world-government.

KJ Lesnick

[edit on 17-8-2010 by KJ_Lesnick]

• posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:59 PM
    link   
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhhaaaahahahahaha. Sorry, hang on, no.... just can't help it. ....... hahahahahahahhhaaaaaaahhaaaaaahahahahaha.

Come on people, really? Radioactive dust from Russia is going to kill us all? REALLY? Jesus christ everybody, pull yourselves together.

Since when was 'veterans today' a credible source? Surely the clues in the name - the whole site is full of chicken little 'the sky is falling' paranoid 'AMERICA IS AT WAR!!!!' rubbish. I suspect it's written by paranoid vets, for paranoid vets.

Quote from possibly the most ridiculous site in the world

This holds the virtual certainty of at least 241,000,000 Lethal Doses of radioactivity becoming air borne during a fire.

Virtual certainty ? As in 'completely made up inside the writers head and not at all real?'
    And since when did Lethal Doses get capitalised?

Whoever starred and flagged this thread should be ashamed of themselves.

[edit on 17-8-2010 by eightfold]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:04 PM
    link   
    veteranstoday is a good source so I would believe this

but just looking around, several other credible sources have picked up on the story.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:13 PM
    link   
    reply to post by piddles

Like?

Care to post them here please

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:16 PM
    link   
    Always the same stories and same amplifications. Oil leak there, whoaaa, we all die. Wildfire here, whoaaa, we all die.
    When you look out of your window still nothing happens! Sun is shining, birds are singing, milkman visits the lonely wives.... No changes. People just wait for such news to freak out. Evacuation, fine where do we go then? Is it really so easy to evacuate? Come on people be realistic. Only in a REAL event which occurs in front of your eyes or by governmental order will you be able to evacuate. Not just because you read another freaky disaster news. When you really have to evacuate, believe me you will desire to be better stayed at home!!! Dont be afraid of the disasters which occurs, afraid the savagery that afterwards comes! So, please stay calm..

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join