It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civility, decorum and the Aliens and UFO Forum

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I'm heading in that direction too...

Not much point going to a forum where you end up being pissed off by it is there?

And before anyone says "be the change you want to see" I've tried but my efforts and the efforts of those that I call friends around here get drowned out by the incessant drone of, frankly speaking, idiots.

The New York and El Paso incidents are perfect example of this, this has been mentioned a few times now I've noticed.

And here's a prediction for all you prediction buffs.

The rubbish that we will see between now and the 2012 farce will kill ATS.

The idiots, the charlatans, the hoaxers and all in between will be running wild and if it were happening between from when I first joined ATS and a few weeks ago, I'd be there at the front line denying ignorance.

Now?

meh.

Let's see how much better life is without as many skeptics to keep the balance of power.

edit on 27/10/10 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Don't take too long of a break. ATS needs folk like you. Earnest, humorous, and bright.

I couldn't agree more ! You have many friends here MMN, from both sides of the fence.

And ATS is indeed a better place when you are around.

*This has been a SonoftheSun free friendly compliment of the day.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Chad, why are you taking this so personally? You know better than that.
There are people who are going to believe what they want to believe, no matter how ridiculous it is, and it has nothing to do with you, you know?

I sometimes get frustrated in my own area of expertise, when I give information, and somebody who is clueless comes along, and everybody zeros in on the inaccurate information. But I tend to shrug it off, and think, "well, I told them. I provided the information. That's all I can do".

Why would I take it personally? If they don't recognize the truth when they see it, I can't change that, nor can you.

(This was intended as encouragement, not scolding, just to clarify my intention.)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Not much point going to a forum where you end up being pissed off by it is there?

And before anyone says "be the change you want to see" I've tried but my efforts and the efforts of those that I call friends around here get drowned out by the incessant drone of, frankly speaking, idiots.

The New York and El Paso incidents are perfect example of this, this has been mentioned a few times now I've noticed.

The idiots, the charlatans, the hoaxers and all in between will be running wild and if it were happening between from when I first joined ATS and a few weeks ago, I'd be there at the front line denying ignorance.

Now?

meh.

Let's see how much better life is without as many skeptics to keep the balance of power.

edit on 27/10/10 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

Well said Chad.....I have always appreciated your posts........and now I want out and put in

for my walking papers. xoxoxox

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
WELL, now the acid test! This Billymier guy.
How long are we supposed to pretend about this one? Treat him as an honored guest?
Take the obvious BS seriously. ATS is being mocked. He gets FLAGS and STARS.
Looks like floodgates are opening.

We fight him. I am not saying we be rude or anything of the sort, to be clear. A fight can still be civil and respectful.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I certainly hope not. Both you and MMN, it is not just your skeptical outlooks that make ATS a better place, but your personalities too.

You're right. The trick is to not let yourself get pissed off. Easier said, I know.

I let myself get wrapped up in getting angry and wanting to be right, instead of being accurate. I was an ass and I managed to put my boot firmly between my gums. It was a wake-up call for me.

There will always be those idiots. There will always be those who star-and-flag any post or thread that even mentions aliens, as OldDragger mentioned. Those people cannot be reached. Those people care little for the truth. Ignore them as best you can, move on to those who do have open-minds. We cannot worry about the slings-and-barbs from those with less-than-open minds. We should say our peace, provide cogent arguments, evidence to back up our opinions, and hope those who do have open-minds read our thoughts and consider them.

I don't think it will kill ATS. I think in the aftermath, those charlatans who hyped 2012 will be exposed for what they are. And those following them without thought or question will be exposed as well. They will be laughing stocks.

Life will not be better, and you know it. We should not let such people, those who will thrive in such an environment, have the run of the place.
edit on 27-10-2010 by DoomsdayRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

Admittedly, Lady, it is hard when you are attacked not based on what you say but the fact you said it in the first place, when other members want to change the subject to you personally, and when they make posts attacking you before you even come in a thread.

But after I made an ass of myself, I've decided to not engage such people anymore, just respectfully say my peace if there is a chance to turning the conversation in a more civil direction, and reporting them if need be.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I doubt that but point well made, I bet we agree on 99% of ufo cases and can't recall you saying nay and me saying yay, I know you have a number of ufo incidents you can't call explained on, I have a lot of respect for your intelligence and it would be a shame to see you go.

If you're beginning to hate the place try other forums or even avoid conflict in ufo threads simply by stating your facts and opinions for all to see , like you usually do, but just leave it there.

I think the debunking is in the persuasion of readers, as I say you have persuaded me loads of times, not the winning of ultimately pointless arguments or killing of threads by brute force, you'd certainly cover more threads if you post fact and move on.

A thing many "sceptics" appear to forget is that many of the believers may be young kids just discovering the topic, my 13 year old is getting well over a decade of Fortean Times mags off me next week, I'd hate him to come here post a vid that's sparked his interest to be made to look a complete fool by 5 graduate adults, tbh I'd be furious.

This goes for all the intelligent sceptics you know you have a niche but a wolf pack has a much better image than a pack of laughing hyenas, don't leave become cold killers of the week and lame like shadows less seen but more respected.

All that's presuming you're not just a bunch of agents being moved on to another posting, hence the you're all being mean we're gona leave cover story

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
MMN

Thank you!! Durrr, I always have trouble with that long name and forget how he spells may be at various points, I'm old dumb and can't type, anyway MMN it is from now on I hope.
edit on 27-10-2010 by Thepreye because: To replace M with N, see what I mean re old dumb can't type all three were covered in that one letter.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

Admittedly, Lady, it is hard when you are attacked not based on what you say but the fact you said it in the first place, when other members want to change the subject to you personally, and when they make posts attacking you before you even come in a thread.

But after I made an ass of myself, I've decided to not engage such people anymore, just respectfully say my peace if there is a chance to turning the conversation in a more civil direction, and reporting them if need be.

But this is a fine plan! We have been asked to report if a conversation focuses on a member rather than the topic. Maybe if we hit "alert" a little more often, these attacks will diminish. I don't like using alert, either, it makes me feel like a "squealer" , lol, but maybe we should make peace with it.

I've seriously always thought attacks make the attackers look worse than the "attack-ees". It's so uncomfortable to watch.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Good Lord, I can't even believe what I am reading on this thread.
You're going to let a bunch of rude, d.a. trolls run you off ats and/or the ufo boards?
What is the matter with you people?
Bunch of sissies. Pfft.

Oh, I thought this was funny. A poster made a comment about something being balloons.
Quickly the poster was covered in the "you don't believe anything, how do you know this, prove it, back it up, I need links", kinda stuff.

The poster said "I'm sorry. It looks like balloons, and I can't give you a link to my eyeballs". lol.
See? Simple.
edit on 10/27/2010 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
You know what?.............I've been here for years!......what's the problem? if you like a thread post in it!.....if you don't ......ignore it!

This site is in danger of becoming a popularity contest, people believe that their ego's/flags /stars grant them some sort of one up man-ship over the rest of us!

If your not happy posting here ............then leave!

Massaging peoples ego's (Oh! I'm taking a break/leaving ATS..............Noooo don't do that!!!!) is, in my humble opinion pathetic!

I shall continue to read/lurk on ATS as I have done for over 5 years, and if I see a post that I find interesting then I shall post in it........if I read a duff one................I'll ignore it.

No rocket science involved

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
You know what?.............I've been here for years!......what's the problem? if you like a thread post in it!.....if you don't ......ignore it!

This site is in danger of becoming a popularity contest, people believe that their ego's/flags /stars grant them some sort of one up man-ship over the rest of us!

If your not happy posting here ............then leave!

Massaging peoples ego's (Oh! I'm taking a break/leaving ATS..............Noooo don't do that!!!!) is, in my humble opinion pathetic!

I shall continue to read/lurk on ATS as I have done for over 5 years, and if I see a post that I find interesting then I shall post in it........if I read a duff one................I'll ignore it.

No rocket science involved

True I suppose.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Thanks for that.

Lets hope this works...

S/F

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO
reply to post by neformore

Thanks for that.

Lets hope this works...

S/F

Hit the link, read the post, starred it and agree with you both.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Folks, I've heard from more than one member that is pretty much fed up.
I am too. I've been a member for quite a while, but am losing interest. What's the point?
All Springer is saying is "don't cause problems". I understand why, and I don't blame him.
BUT, understand this! ATS is a commercial money making enterprise. Fine no problem. But being what it is, it's no different than a TV network running Dancing With the Stars. If people watch it, they make money from adverstising, more hits to ATS the more ATS makes from advertising. Get it?
ATS is not clamoring for QUALITY, but simply for ORDER. Quality or intelligence might have mattered once, but no longer.It seems anything is swallowed hook line and sinker in certain Forums, with the tacit support of the site. There are , in practice, low to no standards. I've been told by more than one poster that it's more important to be nice to people than it is to discern facts! That's all ATS requires nowdays. BEING NICE!

It was great while it lasted, but it's going fast. Nothing can be done. I don't consider this to be cynical, but realistic.
All things evolve.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

If that's what you're getting out of it, then there isn't much more to be said. If to you a search for facts and the truth are mutually excluded by a basic requirement of civility, then this is definitely not the place for you. Civility is a component, and only one component. An inability, or unwillingness, to meet that basic requirement means another venue may be more appropriate.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Assume much?
FACT is it seems fine to call me "A dick", and oh so much more, but the mods flip if I call someone pretentious.
It's apparently not ill mannered to trash skeptics and tell them not to post.
Point is, don't rock the alternative free thinking awake boat, or you WILL be punished.
And I'm not the only one that sees that. You can pretend ATS is some meaningful intellectual site all you want, but a quick look at the front page and what gets flagged says otherwise!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

It works in both directions. If someone is uncivil to you, alert on it and let it go. Responding in kind only exacerbates the problem. We believe quality is enhanced through civility. Your view of a lack of quality will never be rectified by increasing the level of hostility. Not here, not anywhere. You seem to want to take umbrage and pick a fight. This isn't the place for that. You're either part of the problem, or part of the solution. It isn't designed as a competition, or an excuse to take sides and fight.

If people are all that upset about a requirement for civility, then maybe those people finding another place to participate will benefit not only them, but those of us who choose to remain here.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Please.
It isn't the requirent of civility, it's the completly arbitrary application of that "standard" by the mods.
I have been called " a Dick", and told I'm stupid, ignorant, a disinfo agen, spiritualy dying, a troll and a bunch more. These things are still IN PRINT on ATS. I've been told numerous times not to post anything in very uncivil terms. Yet zero action by mods on these posts directed to myself, or other "sceptics".. Hmmmmmmmm.
Report them? GOD, sure I'll be the Church Lady and report everyone. Hey, I can tolerate the heat! Besides, they are read, just ignored.
But when I'm told ( after asking what was ill mannerd in my post), only that "your history speaks of being ill mannered" that this answer is BS.
Also satire and sarcasm are legitimate!! Apparently though, ATS has no comprehension of these methods.
Also humor! Please.

I realize I'm the minority here! I realize the vast majority is here to feed their preconcieved notions, and I realize I'm free to leave.
That's hardly the point, or at least it wasn't the point of ATS originally, before the Alternative Politically Correct
Police started.
edit on 28-10-2010 by OldDragger because: whatever

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join