It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
What??

This...No words...Only ire... With everything going on, now this??
This is really being considered???

They can have my carrots and potatoes when they pry them from my cold..dead..hands...

Words can not express, ah ha but this, yes...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Well I despise Monsanto as much as anyone (and ADM too for that matter). Reading through the bill (Govtrack.us: H.R. 2749 Summary)

Is the bill designed to limit outbreaks of e.coli - especially in food storage facilities? The food-tracking may be related to that. Every time we've had an e.coli outbreak they eventually have to backtrack where the food came from, what facility handled it, how it eventually got into the marketplace.

It seems to refer to foods imported to the country, and several time the text of the bill mentions "exempts 'certain' foods produced on a farm", or "Limits access to such records on farms". But in order to exempt something you have to be aware of it, and most farmer's markets or roadside stands shouldn't need to do that. I don't think these a**clowns realize most people in the sticks grow, trade, and barter their own foods.

This seriously needs to be clarified. I buy raw milk from a local dairy farm, but technically that is ALREADY illegal. I would hate to see farmer's markets impacted by any new regulations. But as far as imported foreign foods in your supermarket - let's just say you're already putting your health at risk by shopping there...

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Blackmarketeer]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I don't believe this will pass. While our government may be tyrannical and the people asleep, we are nowhere close to being this brain-dead. Too many Americans enjoy growing their own foods and working in their own gardens. This would awaken half of America and TPTB can't afford such an awakening, at least until some more control measures are in place.

I have no doubts that the government - or PTB - would love nothing more than to pass such a law, however this is not the right way to do it. Instead, they would look for a backdoor approach that would allow them to outlaw it through a technicality, such as the case with "seed-saving".

We should wait for a court ruling or something to that affect, then have the corporations enforce that court ruling through litigation against citizens. This way, it isn't the government being the bad guy in the eyes of the public, even though it was the government that created the conditions to allow the oppression. This is the only way that such a goal could be accomplished with the least amount of fret and is a hallmark of PTB tactics.

With that being said, nothing really surprises me anymore.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hm....I think this is a good example of a Bill that has been taken out of context...

and even if it was all true, it wouldn't pass.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

I've taken the liberty to start reading this bill.

Which noteably. half of it is void anyways.

But since it's about a 140 pages of material, and I've read about 30 so far..

I'd like you to post specific points in the bill that deny citizens the right to to do these things..

Since so far all I see is the outline of investigation processes of groups to evaluate food safety.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

I've taken the liberty to start reading this bill.

Which noteably. half of it is void anyways.

But since it's about a 140 pages of material, and I've read about 30 so far..

I'd like you to post specific points in the bill that deny citizens the right to to do these things..

Since so far all I see is the outline of investigation processes of groups to evaluate food safety.

I think you are wasting your time. This thread should be marked [hoax] because it is clearly total nonsense. I read through the link provided earlier in the thread for S 510 and was unable to find anything remotely talking about the regulation of home gardens. Hopefully a mod will update the title.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think the bill was hyped as typical Armageddon NWO "bible prophecies coming true" bunk by the OP's source web site. As much as I've read into the bill it appears designed to limit food-bourne pathogens in the marketplace and food shipping industry.

Believe me, if you ever saw the back rooms in some supermarkets or food carriers you'd never eat food from those places again. I'm surprised e.coli isn't more rampant.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Yesterday I went to a farmer's market type thing and it was amazing. Much of the food was organically grown, good prices, incredible atmosphere with living music, shockingly diverse group of people, just seemed like it had a lot of culture and intelligent people. I'd go even if I wasn't buying food. But if this passes, well goodbye to all of that.

I was thinking how dull/lifeless it is to buy everything from a store as well. Like when we go in we really don't get to experience anything lively or worthwhile. But shopping for locally grown food is really an experience. We really are missing out on something when we only buy from large corporations... the freedom of farmer's markets is sort of inspiring. You know the people selling the food are much happier as well than the, sorry to say, lowly cashier.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Remember very few of these off the wall bills ever make it through on top of the fact that it's posted on some off the wall web site. The government can't keep me from growing tomatoes in my own yard!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
We have similar laws already in place in Canada. In the Ottawa region just lately, a man was charged with slaughtering a pig on his own property. A crime in Ontario.
Church groups are resticted on selling baked goods and farm eggs are highly discouraged. Reason: To control disease. But there has never been a case of food poisoning at a church bake sale while listeriosis, salmonella, and other un-spellable poisonings are spread by big business.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
And I just gave my neighbor some tomatos and green beans from my garden, and I will do it again next season. Insane pieces of s&*t want to control everything!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

That's the best I can conclude after fourty pages.

Of ourse if they can cite specific points in the bill that might help.

But they can't and won't. Since I've seen this type of hype before.

Unfortunately a lot of members here seem to jump on a thread at face value rather than look into what is really happening.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
if this bill is passed i will grow my own food and share with others and if anyone trys to throw me in jail for it i will fight back with everything i've got.

Some montoiring this site might see this as a veiled threat, i see it as a protest against a goverment that wants to control everything everyone does, i will stand against and rally others

If our goverment is to control food useage then we are moving backwards, how can this be seen as anything but wrong? This is a way to control population, if the poor cannot offerd food then they will die.

doesn't making something natural illegal, feel unnatural to you? We make laws and rules because we think it is okay to do so, we do not think fully of our actions only what is logical and beniftical to us, as would our goverment, no human can think about anyone but themsevles because the shoe was never on the other foot.

How would they feel if they were poor and could not offerd food and no one would give any because it had become illegal, the same men and women that call muslisms monsters and terrorists, who really are the terrorists? they can only be found within a mirror.

Our population has exceeded healthly planetary useage, we are in the "red zone" diseases will become widespreadand to avoid contaimination the rich and powerful will be in the comfort and safety of thier bunkers with quarrentine zones.

This is only a contribution to the death of mankind, a goal to others, homo sapiens shall be eradicated replaced by Novus, this is a universe not meant for us. we have no purpose, so let us make one and be on our way from home, that is the future of where we are headed, and how we get there...depends entirely on us alone. Lets not bring more crutly into this world

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

So now that you guys know this...what do you INTEND TO DO?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is soo unconstitutional. I live out in the country, and I buy most of my fruit, berries, and meat from local farms. The Produce from local farms, are very fresh, natural, and organic, and are much lower priced than the grocery store.

Fruit from the grocery store are not even ripe yet, and they taste terrible compared to local produce. Most meat from the grocery store contains: Hormones, antibiotics, steroids, and pesticides. Yuck!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
S 510 is long read, I just skimmed for any sections of interest, but I'll have to do that during the upcoming week.

At any rate, the language will probably not be so threatening in the bill. Although, as with any piece of language, meaning is created both by what is said and what is left unsaid. As an amateur gardener, I will have to scrutinize this and break any such stipulations as the OP suggested exist should it become a law... they can't take my papayas, bananas, coconut palms, or cactus (although I'd survive without the cactus fruit cause they're really not that tasty).

In all reality, the more I do research, the more I find that many of the plants surrounding me have some edible part or medicinal aspect. This sounds like a nightmare for law enforcement should it actually be a part of the law...I mean, could you imagine the scenario:

My Nana: Officer, do you really have to plow under ALL the tomatoes and summer squash???
Officer Johnson: Yes ma'am, no food plants...Hey, Officer Smith, are those bromeliads or pineapples??
Officer Smith: Not sure. Just plow 'em under too I s'pose.
Officer Johnson: We've got a problem here. Do these look like pot plants to you Smith?
Officer Smith: Sure do. Ma'am, are these pot plants???
My Nana: Pot? Why, no! Those are okra plants.
Officer Johnson: Oh, ok. [to city bulldozer team] Plow 'em all under boys.

Ha! I smell a sequel to Fahrenheit 451

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I dont see where its impossible that someday they will have more control than anyone ever should over food, but not completely just yet.
It's been generational.
Great Grandparents die.
Grandparents die.
Parents die, and with every new generation and all the new products shoved on the shelves, with the quick and easy point and click lifestyles that have replaced the in touch with nature ways,
each new generation is more reliant on being taken care of than taking care of themselves.
It's our own responsibility and our own collective fault if this type of rule takes over.
Buy your veggies and fruit rather than grow them.
Buy your meats.
Basically buy everything, and everything is becoming junk and infused with filler and crap and chems, it has been for along time.
The regionalization and globalization of everything is a road that ends in a cliff, and the restart will be what truly works.......local, community, family, tribe, neighbors, friends, self.
Shame that this will all be forgotten after the fall only to be repeated again and again.
Trained monkeys each and every one of us.
No matter how much we think we know.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

If every you had any doubts that this government is a band of insane, evil psycopaths, this has got to be it.

If people don't kick up one helluva noise and if the American people allow this to pass, they too must be insane.

To consent to this bill is to consent to being murdered.

The downright lies make me so very angry:

Monsanto says it has no interest in the bill and would not benefit from it, but Monsanto’s Michael Taylor who gave us rBGH and unregulated genetically modified (GM) organisms, appears to have designed it and is waiting as an appointed Food Czar to the FDA (a position unapproved by Congress) to administer the agency it would create — without judicial review — if it passes. S 510 would give Monsanto unlimited power over all US seed, food supplements, food and farming.

Monsanto has to be one of the most evil, murderous groups of psycohaths on this plant, surpassed only by those who are leading of this insane plot to murder humanity.

"

www.theworldsprophecy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Sun Aug 15 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

Mad with power and greed they are! Just wait until they try to enforce
that Law (if it passes). People would be kicking in doors and burning businesses to the ground.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimplyGord
We have similar laws already in place in Canada. In the Ottawa region just lately, a man was charged with slaughtering a pig on his own property. A crime in Ontario.

That's utterly insane. How the hell did we go from the world's shining example of freedom and democracy to 'you can't smoke tobacco or make your own sausage' for crying out loud. It's a rhetorical question, the answer to which is corporatism. The Feudal system is alive and well, the ruling classes have simply changed the name of the game and found a great new way to diguise our own slavery by keeping us too busy working and bickering or doped up on 'entertainment' to realize our predicament. 9 billion hours a week American's spend in front of a television, imagine if that time were spent tarring and feathering instead.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by twitchy]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
If you've read the bill, you would know why you should never let others interpret things for you.

If Amercians knew how politics work then we would know it's all about precedence. Stopping outside sources is no different than stopping inside sources. This bill raises the legal precedence for everyone on the planet as far as we are concerned. Not just outside sources.

Didn't King George sign a bill into law that outlined domestic terrorist? That bill started with OUTSIDE terrorist.

[edit on 15-8-2010 by Come Clean]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join